Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS

OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS Post your Other Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
yes - that one i have no issue with.
If the other version actually exists I would agree the OP has a reason to raise the issue. No one seems to be able to provide that however.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
What they need to do is offer a trade in. Send them the auto sketch and they'll send a Slambalaya and a regular auto back. Put your card where your mouth is, so to speak. We'll see how many takers they get.
My sketch would be in the mail to UD ASAP. I don't think anybody that's cracked one of these would rather have just the sketch /10 auto and no slambalaya as opposed to one of the 80 base gold 1/1 autos, the sideways /3 autos, or obviously the RPA /25 the logos /5 or the dual booklets along with a slambalaya. The only thing I've seen that I prefer the sketch to is the booklets with the towel pieces.

I said in another thread that I think UD just greatly overvalued the masterpieces autos, possibly because of the $$$ they had to pay the artist to create them as opposed to any of the other autos that were all self-manufactured and had no extra cost to produce.
aharm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #103 (permalink)

What I see is this

-Mem auto (Flag or whatever)
-Additional auto
-Mem Card

Now the fun stuff
-If you hit the insert you will get that other auto since ITS NOT AUTOED and it says 3 autos per box
-If you hit the sketch you don't get another auto since that's now your 3rd auto

The sheet clearly says either the insert or sketch
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharm84 View Post
The sell sheet is obviously somewhat left to interpretation by UD and could have easily been made clearer. Instead of having 4 bullet points highlighting what is in the product on the sell sheet, the 3rd bullet point(slam or sketch auto) should have not even been there and instead been a sub asterisk under the 2nd bullet point(3 autos) reading '*boxes that do not contain an original artist sketch auto will receive an additional slambalaya insert card'.
CORRECT
He may be able to get a Slambalaya out of UD, but there is No WAY he should get another auto. Poorly worded sell sheet, but I'd be happy to have gotten the auto'd sketch card in place of a Slambalaya and another auto
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #105 (permalink)

so this dude dropped at least $5400 on this and upper deck might have messed up? Not surprised. I could have also used that $5400 loan that would not be paid back....I have some auctions and dollar cards that are for charity if you are looking to spend on something that gives a better return.

yikes no bueno
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
The sell sheet is obviously somewhat left to interpretation by UD and could have easily been made clearer. Instead of having 4 bullet points highlighting what is in the product on the sell sheet, the 3rd bullet point(slam or sketch auto) should have not even been there and instead been a sub asterisk under the 2nd bullet point(3 autos) reading '*boxes that do not contain an original artist sketch auto will receive an additional slambalaya insert card'.
Eh...I still say it is clear enough as is. I don't think it's too unreasonable to think that people that can afford to break a $2500 box are smart enough to read and comprehend what is stated on the sells sheet as is. Maybe that is unreasonable, but I just don't think it is.
Colm Feore, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
Eh...I still say it is clear enough as is. I don't think it's too unreasonable to think that people that can afford to break a $2500 box are smart enough to read and comprehend what is stated on the sells sheet as is. Maybe that is unreasonable, but I just don't think it is.
I don't think its too unreasonable for UD to make their promo sheet 100% clear and open to 0 interpretation on a product they are charging over 2k for. The masterpieces auto should not be listed under 2 of the 4 bullet/sales points on the promo sheet and their would be zero chance of misinterpretation by anybody.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #108 (permalink)

THe sell sheet mentions masterpieces autographs under the autographs category.

I guess people who don't have the ability of deduction can't figure it out.

Oh well, that's why we have accountants and lawyers in our society.

The bottom line is, next time, Upper deck is not going to offer any sell sheets and any info. No expectations, no disappointment for anyone.

Will that make everyone happy?
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think its too unreasonable for UD to make their promo sheet 100% clear and open to 0 interpretation on a product they are charging over 2k for. The masterpieces auto should not be listed under 2 of the 4 bullet/sales points on the promo sheet and their would be zero chance of misinterpretation by anybody.
I don't agree...I think you guys would find some way to misinterpret it just as you are now.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
I don't agree...I think you guys would find some way to misinterpret it just as you are now.
How would it be possible to misinterpret anything if the masterpieces were only listed in the auto section?

If you think I am in the same camp as the OP, you would be incorrect. Check my break thread, I'm plenty happy with what I got for the price. I'm just saying I understand how somebody could read the promo sheet and be confused. No matter how you read the sell sheet, one this is for sure, UD could have done a better job on being crystal clear.

I see no need to throw baseless negative hypothetical accusations out as you just did.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
so this dude dropped at least $5400 on this and upper deck might have messed up? Not surprised. I could have also used that $5400 loan that would not be paid back....I have some auctions and dollar cards that are for charity if you are looking to spend on something that gives a better return.

yikes no bueno

Who is buying this product at $5400???
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #112 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageScott View Post
Who is buying this product at $5400???
2 boxes...
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
I see no need to throw baseless negative hypothetical accusations out as you just did.
It's not baseless...the fact that you and other people are confused with how the sell sheet is written is proof that some people will read things however they want especially if they believe they can get something out of it.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #114 (permalink)

freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #115 (permalink)

I don't get this. Upper Deck makes 200 boxes. Puts masterpiece autos in 60 of them and in the other 140 weaker autograph boxes throw in a Slambalaya for compensation. Dude gets a better box, complains, and actually gets 5 pages of responses. LOL.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 05-18-2013 at 03:44 AM. Reason: spelling
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #116 (permalink)

What is the comparison in ebay value of what he got as opposed to what he wanted?
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
My sketch would be in the mail to UD ASAP. I don't think anybody that's cracked one of these would rather have just the sketch /10 auto and no slambalaya as opposed to one of the 80 base gold 1/1 autos, the sideways /3 autos, or obviously the RPA /25 the logos /5 or the dual booklets along with a slambalaya. The only thing I've seen that I prefer the sketch to is the booklets with the towel pieces.
As you don't get to pick and choose what you want out of life, I hope UD would tell you the same thing they are gonna tell this guy. Tough titty, it is a random chance when you buy a box, sorry you didn't get what you wanted, but it isn't our problem. And then they would graciously put it back in the mail to you ASAP.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
What is the comparison in ebay value of what he got as opposed to what he wanted?
To answer your question it is early but the auto he got goes for about $300 more than one he wishes he had gotten and he would have also gotten a Slambalaya that would go for about $250. It's too bad that he got one of the better boxes in UD and Ebays eyes, and he isn't happy. But it's just that. He got one of the 60 better boxes, one of the top 30%. It's not UD fault he isn't happy. I don't usually stick up for big card companies, but in this case someone's incompetence at reading and understanding a sell sheet that should be clear to anyone educated over a second grade level is clearly not their problem or concern.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #119 (permalink)

Personally, I would LOVE to get a sketch auto. Those slamba-thingies don't do anything for me. I'm a sketch collector though, so what do I know...
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #120 (permalink)

That sketch he pulled was sick. I do feel back for the collector as he honestly thought he got shorted, but the reality is the slambalays are a non-auto'ed insert that is thrown in for the people that get the short end of the stick on the auto cards. I would personally probably rather get one of the other boxes myself as all of the autos are short-numbered and sweet and with there only being ten each of the Slambalayas I can see crazed set builders going for them and driving prices up. But it is the luck of the draw, and a matter of opinion. Apparently Ebay buyers side with the fact that the sketch autos are worth more and UD knew what they were doing while packaging.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 05-18-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #121 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fsu2007

If the OP got a sketch and the exquisite RPA would he have been as pissed.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I don't get this. Upper Deck makes 200 boxes. Puts masterpiece autos in 60 of them and in the other 140 weaker autograph boxes throw in a Slambalaya for compensation. Dude gets a better box, complains, and actually gets 5 pages of responses. LOL.
I'm only seeing 2 pages so far

Change your settings to 70 posts per page
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #123 (permalink)

who's box was this actually. I just watched the video and saw at least 6 or 7 sets of hands ransacking those boxes. Also if that is your store and you have kids in there, I'd refrain from 69 and 420 jokes, but it's not my business.

check out the other break that was newly listed. he also got the flag, sketch, trip mem, and an esq. auto.

so you did not get get ripped off since hit wise he got the same things.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #124 (permalink)

Wish I would have seen this last night... now I'm late to the party.

Tim, I've created promotions (marketing) for news (journalism) for 15 years now, and XL5 is right, those two things are very different and held to different legal standards.

How ever oddly the sell sheet's lingo is written, the OP got what the sell sheet stated. But that's always the point of an advertisement, especially of the 'sell sheet' variety. You always play up what there is the 'possibility' of getting, and downplay the reality. UD and every other trading card company has done this for years.

If you're new to the thread, just read Chuck's posts; he speaks the truth.

Oh, and to the OP... nice job manhandling those cards. Yeech...
Super8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #125 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCSFAN99

I'd much rather get the sketch auto then the slambalaya by far. In a way you actually got an extra auto with the sketch, the artist signed the back. Hahaha! I'm sure folks would pay more for the sketch auto than the slambalaya and whatever the other auto would have been.

Soonner fan until death. BOOMER SOONER!!!
BUCSFAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote