Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS

OTHER SPORTS BOX BREAKS Post your Other Sports Box & Case Breaks Here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #76 (permalink)

To keep this information in a relevant thread.... I have finally found what kind of Doctor our Mr. Brian Price is. It sounds like the guy has had quite an interesting life and is quite the entrepeneur.

Since Matt Wheeler cannot be open with this information I will let Wikipedia (from a Band called Passing Fancy that Dr. Price was in) do the talking for him:

Brian Price graduated dentistry in 1972 and practiced for eight years before he founded Tridont Dental Centres in 1980. Tridont opened 107 dental offices under the from coast to coast in Canada. Price challenged dentists' right to advertise their services to the public in 1988. He won a unanimous Supreme Court of Canada decision in 1990 wherein all professionals in Canada can now advertise their services. In 1990 Price left the health care industry and created Parkhurst Products Inc. a hockey card manufacturer. Currently, he owns In The Game, Inc. a sports card and memorabilia manufacturing company based in Markham, Ontario. In 2008 Price founded Independent Dental Hygiene Centres a company that performs dental hygiene services in retail locations across Ontario.

Am I wrong in asking why a Dentist insists on people in the Sportscard industry call him Doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
well this just keep getting better and better.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #77 (permalink)

Default I wish I was a doctor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Am I wrong in asking why a Dentist insists on people in the Sportscard industry call him Doctor?
Not necessarily wrong just allowed to be opinionated. I know a lot of doctors and many that aren't in medicine. It's kind of a "Badge of Honor" that you've gone through all the schooling to get to that level. I call some of my professors Dr. So-and-So because they earned that title. Is Bohica really a Captain?

I'm on the fence when it comes to all the SK and Ringside arguments. Some people over hype it and some people love to bash it. It's just fun stuff to me.

Dr. Price from your Wiki research seems to be, at least, a very adroit businessman along with his medical licenses. I wish I cornered the market on hockey stuff in Canada. Sounds like he expanded his interests into something he enjoys, collectibles.

Please Continue,
Vinny
Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #78 (permalink)

every time i hear the word dentist, i think of the hangover

"paging dr. faggot"

but i agree about going through ali's management team to acquire a pair of ali trunks, upper deck did when they produced the 2000 Ali Master Collection set. it's probably alot cheaper to buy some random pair of trunks from some random guy off of ebay or wherever the dentist got them from.

Last edited by coclarkson; 07-18-2010 at 03:20 PM.
coclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #79 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post

He earned it. How petty do you want to be?

Would it have been different if he would have been a medical doctor instead of a dentist? And what did you think he had a doctorate of in the first place, sportscardology?

Last edited by oldgoldy97; 07-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
Not necessarily wrong just allowed to be opinionated. I know a lot of doctors and many that aren't in medicine. It's kind of a "Badge of Honor" that you've gone through all the schooling to get to that level. I call some of my professors Dr. So-and-So because they earned that title. Is Bohica really a Captain?

I'm on the fence when it comes to all the SK and Ringside arguments. Some people over hype it and some people love to bash it. It's just fun stuff to me.

Dr. Price from your Wiki research seems to be, at least, a very adroit businessman along with his medical licenses. I wish I cornered the market on hockey stuff in Canada. Sounds like he expanded his interests into something he enjoys, collectibles.

Please Continue,
Vinny

While I agree it is not wrong to use the title "DR" most professionals use the term only when it applies to their profession. Those who use it outside of their profession have their reasons..some do it for the ego, big head, etc...some do it to inform others they are a "DR".
Most people assume if you are using a title as "DR" it is a medical doctor. I rarely see or hear of academic professionals (who do a hobby) call themselves a "DR". If they write/author a article, book, etc...they use the "DR", "PhD., EdD, etc" or teaching a class, thus relating to their profession.

If you are in school and call your professors""DR" than you are using it in the setting of their profession.

I see no relevance for a Dentist to use the title DR while selling sportscards. He's just using to title to make himself look important. Thus why Wheeler never wanted to answer the question of what kind of DR. that Mr. Price was.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #81 (permalink)

Default We're just splitting hairs...

I met a great harp player at a blues jam I frequent. When I talked to him later I found out he's a brain surgeon. We all call him "Dr. Dan" when we see him or announce him when he's playing. He doesn't care, it's a term of endearment since he's such a nice guy.

The stories can go on and on,
Vinny
Old 07-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
I met a great harp player at a blues jam I frequent. When I talked to him later I found out he's a brain surgeon. We all call him "Dr. Dan" when we see him or announce him when he's playing. He doesn't care, it's a term of endearment since he's such a nice guy.

The stories can go on and on,
Vinny
Does he asked to be called Dr. Dan or as I see it you guys just call him Dr. Dan. Different ways of looking at it...I don't think he introduced himself as Dr. Dan since it was later on in the conversation you found out he was a brain surgeon.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
Does he asked to be called Dr. Dan or as I see it you guys just call him Dr. Dan. Different ways of looking at it...I don't think he introduced himself as Dr. Dan since it was later on in the conversation you found out he was a brain surgeon.
What's your point?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #84 (permalink)

Just call him Dan the Man.

http://kobebryantautograph.weebly.com/
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #85 (permalink)

Default well frankly...

Quote:
We call him that out of respect.

Vinny
Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #86 (permalink)

Default It's an eclectic crowd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
Just call him Dan the Man.
That's our buddy the bass player.

Vinny
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:

Vinny
Unfortunately Vinny, respect is lacking in this forum. I'm confident there are people here that know what the word is but have no idea how to apply it.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:

Vinny
Respect is earned not entitled, just because you are a Dr doesn't mean they automatically deserve to be called Dr. Do all Dr's need to be called Dr just because we should respect that they are Dr's? Heck no...if you've met some of the medical doctors I know you would question if they should even be a doctor!

Vinny: It's your call to call him a Dr or not...he did not initially ask to be called "Dr. Dan". Do you see my point...he doesn't go around asking to be called Dr or saying "Hi, I'm Dr. Dan" when he's playing...if you find out he's a doc and call him one than that's fine.

I think people are missing the point of this...Mr. Price assumes we should be enamored by his Dr. status in the card industry...why does he use the title Dr. when it comes to selling cards? Do if I have a PhD...I guess I should be called Dr. John91C (I do not have a PhD, but it's in the process). Once I get my PhD I could care less if people call me Dr...when I'm teaching at a university or in the setting of my profession I "may" use the term Dr. very loosely but with the way I am I would still want people to call me John. IF people still want to call me Dr. John that's fine but I will not go around promoting my "Dr" title especially if I'm selling sportscards!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
I think people are missing the point of this...Mr. Price assumes we should be enamored by his Dr. status in the card industry...why does he use the title Dr. when it comes to selling cards? Do if I have a PhD...I guess I should be called Dr. John91C (I do not have a PhD, but it's in the process). Once I get my PhD I could care less if people call me Dr...when I'm teaching at a university or in the setting of my profession I "may" use the term Dr. very loosely but with the way I am I would still want people to call me John. IF people still want to call me Dr. John that's fine but I will not go around promoting my "Dr" title especially if I'm selling sportscards!
If "people are missing the point", it's because your point is invalid.

Why don't you look back at all the posts that Dr. Price made in this forum? In every single one of them, he ended it with "Brian Price". Not "Dr. Brian Price". His user ID is "bprice". He doesn't hide behind a user name that's different than his actual name. The man is full of honor. Whatever title he has earned, who are you to say he hasn't? Do you personally know him? I'm afraid you're disrespecting someone without knowing the facts, and it's making you look like a fool. Who are you to question his title? Seriously, who are you? I'm going to go with...uh..."nobody".

The man obviously earned the title of "Dr.". I don't think anyone is disputing that. So what's all the ruckus about? Why the need to disrespect someone you don't even know? You need to grow up and earn respect for yourself before you go around questioning anyone's title.

Carry on if you must. It's obvious to many in this forum that you're making yourself look like a disrespecting fool, and quite frankly, it's earning you "disrespect".
Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #90 (permalink)

Obviously you're head is so far up his arse you're playing tonsil hockey with him. I think I've earned enough respect to have served my country for 8 years, ehh but the heck with that. I feel so devastated that Wheeler doesn't respect me...get over yourself. You're a pompous ass...you are making people dislike you more each day. Until about a week ago I actually thought you were pretty cool...but I've had enough of your belittling attitude towards everyone who post anything against the wisdom of Wheeler.

For the record you are asking who I am...I'm a pretty well "respected" Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in the community I work in. How do you know that Mr. Price is full of honor? You are making assumptions again...

Why can't I question his title...wouldn't that what I served my country for...pretty much the 1st amendment, correct? I never disputed if he was a "DR" or not...I questioned what kind of "DR" he was. Get off your high horse...to call someone a "nobody" says a lot about you. He may have earned the title Dr but doesn't mean I have to call him that.

Maybe it should be you who needs to grow up. I also thought you were going to stop responding to my comments. Thanks for making this thread so comical! Any member on here can pretty much predict your responses to posts...give praise to Mr. Price, tell how the poster is childish, break down each sentence of the post and try to prove you are right about everything.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously you're head is so far up his arse you're playing tonsil hockey with him. I think I've earned enough respect to have served my country for 8 years, ehh but the heck with that. I feel so devastated that Wheeler doesn't respect me...get over yourself. You're a pompous ass...you are making people dislike you more each day. Until about a week ago I actually thought you were pretty cool...but I've had enough of your belittling attitude towards everyone who post anything against the wisdom of Wheeler.

For the record you are asking who I am...I'm a pretty well "respected" Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in the community I work in. How do you know that Mr. Price is full of honor? You are making assumptions again...

Why can't I question his title...wouldn't that what I served my country for...pretty much the 1st amendment, correct? I never disputed if he was a "DR" or not...I questioned what kind of "DR" he was. Get off your high horse...to call someone a "nobody" says a lot about you. He may have earned the title Dr but doesn't mean I have to call him that.

Maybe it should be you who needs to grow up. I also thought you were going to stop responding to my comments. Thanks for making this thread so comical! Any member on here can pretty much predict your responses to posts...give praise to Mr. Price, tell how the poster is childish, break down each sentence of the post and try to prove you are right about everything.
Thank you for your service. I honestly mean that.

I have family that are retired military personnel. I have family that have served and are currently serving in the military, and none of them are as disrespectful as you are. You think people should respect you just because you served this country for 8 years? You're probably right, but you shouldn't go around saying that's why you deserve respect. You get respect from your actions. Just because you tell me you served our country, am I to believe you? Just because you tell me you're working on your PHD, am I to believe you? Just because you tell me, "I'm a pretty well "respected" Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in the community I work in", am I to believe you? You never saw Dr. Price bragging about why he "thinks" he needs respect.

Now take a second to let all that soak in, and I'm sure you will understand what I'm trying to say.

You said, "He may have earned the title Dr but doesn't mean I have to call him that"...Who said you have to call him that?

I can't believe you're letting me get under your skin so easily when that's all you have been trying to do lately. I haven't responded to any of your ridiculous posts lately, and you still couldn't let it go. Yet I respond to one, and you start bragging on yourself.

Get a life.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #92 (permalink)

I was reading this thread the other day and thought it was interesting, but now I have changed my opinion now this thread is really interesting oh by the way wheeler if I can scoop up some ot from work this week I may be making some offers on some of you comc stuff, gonna be a week or two though, sorry to ramble, carry on gentleman
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #93 (permalink)

wheeler instead of defending your man ask him about the ali trunks seems that would be a bit more important than someones title.
tonedef2oo8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
wheeler instead of defending your man ask him about the ali trunks seems that would be a bit more important than someones title.
You are correct...that would be much more important than someone's title. However, I need not ask about erroneous, hearsay comments. "Innocent until proven guilty", (like upper deck), is what I live by.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
If "people are missing the point", it's because your point is invalid.

Why don't you look back at all the posts that Dr. Price made in this forum? In every single one of them, he ended it with "Brian Price". Not "Dr. Brian Price". His user ID is "bprice". He doesn't hide behind a user name that's different than his actual name. The man is full of honor. Whatever title he has earned, who are you to say he hasn't? Do you personally know him? I'm afraid you're disrespecting someone without knowing the facts, and it's making you look like a fool. Who are you to question his title? Seriously, who are you? I'm going to go with...uh..."nobody".

The man obviously earned the title of "Dr.". I don't think anyone is disputing that. So what's all the ruckus about? Why the need to disrespect someone you don't even know? You need to grow up and earn respect for yourself before you go around questioning anyone's title.

Carry on if you must. It's obvious to many in this forum that you're making yourself look like a disrespecting fool, and quite frankly, it's earning you "disrespect".
You asked who I was...I was just ANSWERING your question. I do not go around "bragging" about my accomplishments in life but if someone asks who I am...then I will tell them who I am. What has Mr. Price done to you to deserve the respect that you keep calling him by his title. Did he do some dental work on your f'd up teeth? That would be the only reason you could be calling him a Dr. If it's for his card company then there no "DR" title to card selling.

Last edited by John91C; 07-20-2010 at 12:14 PM.
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Thank you for your service. I honestly mean that.

I have family that are retired military personnel. I have family that have served and are currently serving in the military, and none of them are as disrespectful as you are. You think people should respect you just because you served this country for 8 years? You're probably right, but you shouldn't go around saying that's why you deserve respect. You get respect from your actions. Just because you tell me you served our country, am I to believe you? Just because you tell me you're working on your PHD, am I to believe you? Just because you tell me, "I'm a pretty well "respected" Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in the community I work in", am I to believe you? You never saw Dr. Price bragging about why he "thinks" he needs respect.

Now take a second to let all that soak in, and I'm sure you will understand what I'm trying to say.

You said, "He may have earned the title Dr but doesn't mean I have to call him that"...Who said you have to call him that?

I can't believe you're letting me get under your skin so easily when that's all you have been trying to do lately. I haven't responded to any of your ridiculous posts lately, and you still couldn't let it go. Yet I respond to one, and you start bragging on yourself.

Get a life.
I could care less if you believe me...I'm not on here to get your respect. Also you are not getting under my skin...it takes a lot more from some tool like you to get under my skin...trust me when you are nothing compared to the people I've encountered in my life, both good and bad. So far you are below the scum of Earth in my book. You are a joke...I like reading your biased posts because it just points how much you are in love with SK products. Which isn't a bad thing...they put out a decent product but when there is clearly a bad product (Ringside) that looses value...it's just funny to see you trying to defend every product of theirs.

Again...respect is earned...not entitled. Until Mr. Price can prove his "DR" towards card prospecting then I will not call him a Dr when it comes to card prospecting.

How am I being disrespectful? If it's towards you...well you would have to have my respect in the first place for me to be disrespectful. I never asked for anyone's respect on here...and again I was never bragging. If you look at my history of posts I have never bragged about my life outside of cards. You asked a question and you answered your own question by calling me a nobody. So I decided to clarify your idiocy. What has your life amounted to, showing off your SK cards? WOW...I'm sooooo impressed...you definitely gained my respect.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #97 (permalink)

The key when trying to debate these topics with Wheeler is simply stop responding. Most on here dont like the same things he does, and thats fine and dandy. I caught myself getting into it with him although not to this level. Just let it go, he likes product A and you like product B. No need to get so personal.
cruiserdaddy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
I could care less if you believe me...
FYI...This statement means that you actually care to an extent that you could care less. I think what you mean to say is, "I couldn't care less". And you're actually working on a doctorate degree?

Quote:
I do not go around "bragging" about my accomplishments in life
Quote:
I never asked for anyone's respect on here...and again I was never bragging. If you look at my history of posts I have never bragged about my life outside of cards.
Get defensive much?

Quote:
Again...respect is earned...not entitled. Until Mr. Price can prove his "DR" towards card prospecting then I will not call him a Dr when it comes to card prospecting.
Who the heck cares if you don't want to call him "Dr." Price? Seriously, your childish act in this thread is portraying that someone is trying to make you call him Dr. Price. I have a great deal of respect for the man. He has earned the title of "Dr.", and I will refer to him as such. If you don't like it, you're just going to have to build that bridge and get over it.

Dr. Price has accomplished a lot in his life. Probably more than you ever will. Heck, you're not even a "Dr." yet. Perhaps you're just jealous and/or envious. Furthermore, when I referred to you as a "nobody", it was in terms of this hobby comparatively speaking to Dr. Price himself. Dr. Price has made a name for himself in this hobby. Most people refer to him as Dr. Price. You on the other hand mean very, very little to the hobby, as do I. Hopefully the truth doesn't hurt you too much. If you were to leave this hobby for good today, trust me, no one would ever care. The same could "probably" be said for me. However, if Dr. Price up and quit today, many, many collectors and a few employees would care.

You might mean something in your little community. But that's pretty irrelevant in this hobby, and therefore I must ask again, "who are you to question Dr. Price"?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
The key when trying to debate these topics with Wheeler is simply stop responding. Most on here dont like the same things he does, and thats fine and dandy. I caught myself getting into it with him although not to this level. Just let it go, he likes product A and you like product B. No need to get so personal.
Thank you very much for your post.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #100 (permalink)

I actually sold every Ringside auto that I have at the show at Chicago this weekend. Everyone who saw them thought they were pretty awesome. The 1/1 Onyx cards are starting to sell very well - take a look on Ebay. Next will be the Ringside Boxing logos, and the autos will remain fairly steady if not rise.

I think the fact that so many people have been dogging the product has actually hurt it because people have been discouraged from even trying it. There are so many products that deliver much worse value per pack than Ringside KO does.

There needs to be something to bring people's attention back to the Boxing world, and once that happens, this product will be on fire.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote