Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon buying

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2016 Topps Olympic Release Date Pushed AGAIN

when announced at the end of the year it had a May street date, then it was pushed to end of June, and now its in July, only a month before the games start...

I think this hurts the resale, as the team will be pretty well set by the time it finally hits the market, so who is going to 'speculate' on relatively 'unknown' athletes getting a medal, when they aren't even on the team...also, how is it a 'hopefuls' product, as it is likely released AFTER all the qualifiers...

for some athletes, it wont matter, people are still going to want Michael Phelps just based off of his history, even if for some reason he doesn't go to the games, or if Topps got rights to produce NBA guys, I could see a LeBron doing well, but I doubt they got licensing for mens basketball...

and STILL I haven't found a checklist...

if I had a checklist I may have done a preorder, but not knowing if it will have the athletes im looking for in it, it isn't worth the $700 or so risk on a case when I may be chasing a $10 card...

anyone else disappointed with the delay?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shame to see it pushed back again, I know the set has hopefuls in the name but maybe they are gearing the set just towards those athletes who have qualified by waiting till July but if they wait till July and have a lot of hopefuls in the set who already haven't qualified, it'd be a real bummer.

Personally I'm hoping that Christian Taylor (athletics) signs so I won't be busting any and will pick up singles of his if he's in the set.
Portlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

it got pushed another 2 days to 7/8.
When i think of hopefuls, i think of the people who are representing the US in the olympics and have the chance to win medals at the olympics whether they do or not. They won't know EVERYBODY who will be representing the US in the olympics by the 7/8 release date, but they will at least know the swimmers and some of the track and field. Anyways, there's bound to be some <$10 autos, but i'm still pretty excited about this product which is why i have 2 cases going on the breaks here on blowout.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very frustrated with the delay. My guess is the extra time won't change the checklist much at all. I can't see Topps chasing down autos at the 11th hour just to add new athletes.
peterose4hof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Very frustrated with the delay. My guess is the extra time won't change the checklist much at all. I can't see Topps chasing down autos at the 11th hour just to add new athletes.
maybe not, but they could definitely change the rarity of certain autos showing up in the entire product.

5 slots left in our BO break though if people are interested!

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/j...-2-go-usa.html

Last edited by doobypenguin; 06-28-2016 at 09:45 AM.
doobypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Checklist up on topps website
nomarkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

well, looks like ive got a few Natalie Coughlins to go after and that is about it...not happy about no Moline...her qualifier is a week from Sunday...im not even sure if Coughlin will make the team, im a few days behind on the trials, but likely if she doesn't go as an individual, she will get a spot on a relay...

Carly Patterson gymnastics card?...she was what 2004 games?...id much rather a recently retired Kyla Ross or Mckayla Maroney get that spot...or maybe they are just holding out 25 athletes at the end, as the 12 and 14 sets were 100 cards...
Old 07-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kind of disappointing. Was hoping for autos of Katie Ledecky, Ashton Eaton, etc. Also not a fan of Abby Wambach having an auto when she retired months ago
marlinsfan9108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Disappointed as a wrestling fan not to see defending Olympic Champ Jordan Burroughs not in this. Rulon Gardner? He hasn't been on the team since 2000!
Super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

"BASE CARDS
Featuring 100 of the most well-known and rising U.S. Olympic Team athletes striving for gold in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro across multiple sports disciplines. "

still featured on the order sheets listed on blowout...

totally missed no Ledecky, how can that happen, she has been hyped up for the past what, 3 years now and should claim multiple podiums...

and yeah, look like they tossed in a few 'throwbacks'...which I could understand as an insert set like 'greats from the past' or something, but to miss a top swimmer and give a second card to several people from lesser watched/known sports, like Kim Rhode, and nothing against her, she is what a 6 time Olympian now, but shooting isn't like Track & Field or Swimming or Womens Gymnastics...so we get a Para-Olympic Alana Nichols who was just in the 14 Winter set, but this time for Canoe...

I really hope there is another 25 in the set, but at this point, im very happy I didn't order any cases...and I did a case of 12 and probably 30 cases of 14...
Old 07-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliqwill View Post
"BASE CARDS
Featuring 100 of the most well-known and rising U.S. Olympic Team athletes striving for gold in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro across multiple sports disciplines. "

still featured on the order sheets listed on blowout...

totally missed no Ledecky, how can that happen, she has been hyped up for the past what, 3 years now and should claim multiple podiums...

and yeah, look like they tossed in a few 'throwbacks'...which I could understand as an insert set like 'greats from the past' or something, but to miss a top swimmer and give a second card to several people from lesser watched/known sports, like Kim Rhode, and nothing against her, she is what a 6 time Olympian now, but shooting isn't like Track & Field or Swimming or Womens Gymnastics...so we get a Para-Olympic Alana Nichols who was just in the 14 Winter set, but this time for Canoe...

I really hope there is another 25 in the set, but at this point, im very happy I didn't order any cases...and I did a case of 12 and probably 30 cases of 14...
this.
i can't believe they don't have the biggest newcomer to the olympics. really? no Ledecky? every decent name was in other products or the last olympic product. this stuff is going to be garbage.

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

If the cards have to be printed and signed long before the trials have even finished, there's going to be hits and misses naturally. We do end up with some surprise Gold medalists on the checklist, Boudia was a real shocker last time, given the Chinese dominance in the sport.

I love the on-card Olympic Champions set, and it would be great to pull one of those cuts autos, with Ali having special relevance, of course. Phelps, Missy, and Gabby alone make the regular set worth having, so it's unfortunate if they missed a few fan favorites, but I'm somewhat astonished these sets are being made at all. Thank you, Topps, for 3 in row. I bought plenty of the last two and I'll definitely be getting some of this.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

oh, I understand the hits and misses concept, but the missing of Ledecky would be like not having a Michael Jordan in a basketball set circa 1992...she is one of the top names in her sport, she isn't a 2008 Danny Amendola type...

I understand not having a Georganne Moline, but why have a 2nd card of what, like 10 athletes, and another 5 or 10 of 'greats' in the super small base set, and skip one of the 'top' rookie cards?

and yes, I do enjoy topps doing a full Olympic set, instead of just having the partial team cards that have been put in various MLB, NBA, and WNBA over the years, or the few that sneak into Allen & Ginter each year...

I also understand the production/packaging demands, but this product was initially due out in May I thought...I would hope that topps would have a decent 'scouting' department to know who should be the top newcomers to the Olympics...Phelps has been in various UD and Topps products over the years, Ledecky has been in nothing...

also, Topps has it listed as a 100 card set still on their site, but everything I have seen it is just 75 cards, potentially 74, as I don't see a #37...of course, all the articles probably stem just from the initial checklist release off of topps.com...

and if since it requires everything to be done in advance, why all the production delays...I don't remember when the 12's released, but the 14s came out in November/December, a full 2 months before the games...the games start in what, 5 weeks?
Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think there are some elements of a sticker dump to this release.

Edit: I take that back. I don't know if there are a lot of carryovers from 2012's release or not. I'm just very disappointed that women's soccer is represented by Wambach (who's totally retired from the US team) and Rapinoe (who is a great player, but is not anywhere near as awesome a hit as a Morgan or the many other new faces to the US team going into these Olympics). Maybe I'm right about the sticker dump, but I don't know that enough to state it like that. I'm just really disappointed in how little Topps addressed the most popular women athletes in our country. /rant

Last edited by Angus Con; 07-04-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Angus Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post

Edit: I take that back. I don't know if there are a lot of carryovers from 2012's release or not. I'm just very disappointed that women's soccer is represented by Wambach (who's totally retired from the US team) and Rapinoe (who is a great player, but is not anywhere near as awesome a hit as a Morgan or the many other new faces to the US team going into these Olympics). Maybe I'm right about the sticker dump, but I don't know that enough to state it like that. I'm just really disappointed in how little Topps addressed the most popular women athletes in our country. /rant
total sticker dump. simone biles is like the only new athlete that's a decent name that wasn't in the 2012 release

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

We'll have to see the new stickers to compare the two. It's hard to imagine they hung on to enough of those signed back then to make an entirely new release 4 years later.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post

Morgan already had one, what about a Press? I know Team USA has a bunch of 'fresh faces' but I recall Press having a pretty good World Cup
Old 07-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliqwill View Post
Morgan already had one, what about a Press? I know Team USA has a bunch of 'fresh faces' but I recall Press having a pretty good World Cup
Agreed but Morgan is the face of the team and should be in every set that involves the US women's soccer team imo. I don't even really care for Morgan personally, but I still think she should be an automatic. Just like Mia Hamm should've been an automatic with the early teams.

Press had an average WC. Started 2 games, played in 2 others, and sat out 3 of them. Scored 1 goal. She never seems to "fit" with the national team for some reason. I'm not the biggest USA fan to be honest; I'm sure someone knows her story way better than I do.

But yeah, Press is still very popular and would be nice (and she only has 1 autograph out there in Leaf Sports Heroes). Johnston is also very popular (and also only has autographs in one recent set). Up and comers like Crystal Dunn or the recently turned 18 year old Mallory Pugh would be even better.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Just picked up 4 boxes from the LCS. Anyone else opening any of these?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Just picked up 4 boxes from the LCS. Anyone else opening any of these?
I have a case of blasters I'll be opening tonight. How was your break? Is the base set really only 74 cards, or are there any surprises?

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Really only 74 cards. I didn't get any Memorable Moments which were supposed to be three per box. Not sure if they were scratched from this release or what.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Finished my blaster break. No memorable moments either. Also had a lot of the parallels with missing foil. Though that can sometimes be good. Might see what an auction brings with them. The real good thing was blasters are fairly loaded. I got 14 hits out of the 16 boxes. Some boxes had two hits. Only one auto in the case. Best hit might be a commemorative Gold Medal (/50). I think those sold pretty well in 2012.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Looking at the checklist, the autograph selections are quite disappointing. 33 this time vs. 50 signers for the 2012 product.

The wife really enjoyed pulled the gymnastics autos last time around but there are only 4 total. At least it's of Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles, who, as of yesterday, qualified to be part of Team USA. Aly Raisman is only a relic/auto

Fewer cut autographs for sure. I'm ok with the design of the cards but I feel like Topps dropped the ball on this one. I felt like them pushing the product back a couple months was a good sign in that they might get more signers but, alas, it was not to be.

I might be a couple of boxes for the wife when the prices drops.

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default 2016 Product

I enjoyed opening boxes the last time and probably will again. There are 6 women's basketball players in the 100 card set. One of them, Candace Parker did not even make the team.
aro13 is offline   Reply With Quote