Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anybody attend golf tournaments?

I'm pumped... I got two tickets to firestone this sunday with my buddy. I have a woods ud rc and I wanna take it in case he's signing. Wondering if anyone has insight on this i.e. do players sign a lot? Woods at that?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
XL5

I wouldn't count on Woods. It really depends on the player, there are some that hate it, some that will sign.

If you want to try, go very early and try around the practice greens/practice area where the players warm up. I don't know if you need special credentials or not, I don't think so. I used to go to a lot of events and that's where I'd meet up with folks on the tour I knew, it's pretty casual there. Especially the early rounds (Thursdays are the best). I never got autographs but I saw them doing a few.

Don't try between holes or at 18 (especially on Sunday!). Really annoying. Some players will sign balls between holes and give them to kids or toss them into a crowd.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
I wouldn't count on Woods. It really depends on the player, there are some that hate it, some that will sign.

If you want to try, go very early and try around the practice greens/practice area where the players warm up. I don't know if you need special credentials or not, I don't think so. I used to go to a lot of events and that's where I'd meet up with folks on the tour I knew, it's pretty casual there. Especially the early rounds (Thursdays are the best). I never got autographs but I saw them doing a few.

Don't try between holes or at 18 (especially on Sunday!). Really annoying. Some players will sign balls between holes and give them to kids or toss them into a crowd.
Cool very helpful thank you! I'll prolly just take it in case but not expecting anything crazy to happen. Really just hoping to see a good sunday. Haven't been to one in a while. If tiger wins it'll probably be the best sporting event experience of my life haha
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used to attend the Buick Open in Grand Blanc Michigan every year. I agree get to the course EARLY, check out the driving range and the practice Putting Greens. I usually got a white hat from the souvineer stand and got the golfers to sign it.

The year I met Greg Norman was a big highlight. I also met Tiger back in 97 or 98, but I ran into him at a resturant as he was leaving. Chatted with him for a few minutes and got a flyer signed. Pretty cool stuff.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll be going Wednesday to Firestone. Your chances of getting Woods to sign the 01 rookie are slim to none. He barely signs at practice rounds, mainly for younger kids, and I've never seen him sign a card. On a brighter note, most of the guys are very good about signing, mainly during the practice rounds, but you can get a few during tournament rounds
marlinsfan9108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I went to the BMW in Chicago last year, and they had a split course on Saturday, so there was a scoring tent on 9. I ended up getting a bunch of guys there, because I was in a good spot. Tiger signed for women and children, skipped anyone of age (which I expected). The thing I didn't expect was that most guys won't sign balls. I asked Bubba Watson on Twitter and he said because it's usually not his brand, it takes too long and he rushes to get to other people so it ends up not looking good. Rickie Fowler was the only one who signed a ball. A lot of people bought pin flags at the gift shop and were having guys sign that. I ended up getting 6 or 7 guys on my ticket (Furyk, Watson, De Jonge, Streelman, and a couple more), and Paul Casey and Brad Faxon on a free hat at the VIP tent. Side note: Ernie Banks was also at the tent, so I got to talk to him for about a half hour, that was great.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Alright more great advice. I think I'll just end up taking a prov1(x of course) and see if I get any opportunities. Pea that's sweet you got to talk to banks like that and I can't at all say I'm surprised tiger would only do that for women and children lol. I'll let you guys know how it goes if I see anyone.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

You could probably get anybody else's signature, but in the 3 tournaments with Tiger in that I've gone to (2 canadian open's, 1 US Open) I've been unsuccesful in getting a sig in practice rounds and after 18 holes, nor did I see many people succesful. My advice: get Phil But good luck to you anyway. Who knows, maybe he'll be in a good mood this weekend! (but if not, Phil is always available!)