Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #126 (permalink)

1998 WCW NWO Topps Chris Benoit Autograph WCW WWF WWE Auto Very RARE | eBay

Do you all think I overpaid for this? I think it's a decent price, and I've been trying to pick it up for a while.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
1998 WCW NWO Topps Chris Benoit Autograph WCW WWF WWE Auto Very RARE | eBay

Do you all think I overpaid for this? I think it's a decent price, and I've been trying to pick it up for a while.
Did you read the description? The card has a little damage. Although it still looks good.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Sjim8660/library/?sort=3&page=0
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #128 (permalink)

Yeah, I read it. I couldn't see anything wrong with the picture of the card, and the guy has good feedback. Even if it does have a little crease, it's not like they are making anymore of these.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Does any one know what order these cards had surfaced?

I think Mysterio was the first, with a bunch listed in a short amount of time. I think they all went for less than $50 each.

Whipwreck and Hardcore Hak were either second or third, I believe.

When the Whipwreck were first sold, they sold around the same price as Mysterio .

Hardcore Hak I remember being listed weekly with constant prices of around $150. (some bidding wars went on then)
Can't remember. $150 for a Hak would have been a steal. Last 2 I sold went for $2200 and $1700
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #130 (permalink)

And wow prices are way down at the moment. I should have picked up the ultimo and la parka for $40 a piece. Used to get around 100 for parka and 80 for ultimo
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
Can't remember. $150 for a Hak would have been a steal. Last 2 I sold went for $2200 and $1700
Yeah, I wish I bought one back then...
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #132 (permalink)

I am fairly confident that as time goes on, the big names will continue to go up while the lesser names will continue to fall. Eddie Guerro won't be remembered by anyone besides the most hardcore marks in 30 years, but names like Hogan and Savage are now permanent pieces of Americana. If a Hardcore Hack sells for more than $300 (adjusted for inflation) in twenty years, I will eat my TNA cut 1/1 Savage auto.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
I am fairly confident that as time goes on, the big names will continue to go up while the lesser names will continue to fall. Eddie Guerro won't be remembered by anyone besides the most hardcore marks in 30 years, but names like Hogan and Savage are now permanent pieces of Americana. If a Hardcore Hack sells for more than $300 (adjusted for inflation) in twenty years, I will eat my TNA cut 1/1 Savage auto.

Nice post. I love the adjusted for inflation. LOL
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #134 (permalink)

Its been 14-15 years since these came out and Hak has only increased in price since demand is high and supply is zero to none. Wrestling fans remember most of the personalities of the 80s and 90s. I don't see that card ever going under $1000 unless a bunch of them surface or the wrestling card market just collapses.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #135 (permalink)

DasKlein has a good point; will the youngsters today remember the Hardcore Hak, Whipwreck, etc. and pay large amounts for these guys? I don't know. That is my concern with chasing the "ghosts" of this set. However, I guess it only takes one person to want it bad enough that they drop a couple grand on the Hak.

Anybody have any idea what the print run was on a guy like Savage from this set? You see him come up a lot for auction.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Its been 14-15 years since these came out and Hak has only increased in price since demand is high and supply is zero to none. Wrestling fans remember most of the personalities of the 80s and 90s. I don't see that card ever going under $1000 unless a bunch of them surface or the wrestling card market just collapses.
Yea, it has been 15 years sine the set first came out and the cards are still doing well. I think the reason we are seeing low prices right now is because the holidays. But if you notice some of the lesser know guys that don't come up for sale a lot are still doing well. I didn't think Lizmark JR was going to sell that high. I think 20 years from now the set will be worth a lot more because most of the wrestlers will be dead. If people can collect wrestling cards from the early 80's now, there is no reason this auto set wont keep rising. There is a large group of collectors who don't know half the wrestlers from the 82/83 all star set but that does not mean its not a valuable and award winning set that brings a high dollar in either graded of complete set form.

There is a "HH version" of Hogans wcw topps card listed now and it is already up to 150. That card usually sells for around 350-400. That just goes to show that people are looking for these cards and will continue to try to build sets. I doubt its just a handful of guys driving these prices.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
Yea, it has been 15 years sine the set first came out and the cards are still doing well. I think the reason we are seeing low prices right now is because the holidays. But if you notice some of the lesser know guys that don't come up for sale a lot are still doing well. I didn't think Lizmark JR was going to sell that high. I think 20 years from now the set will be worth a lot more because most of the wrestlers will be dead. If people can collect wrestling cards from the early 80's now, there is no reason this auto set wont keep rising. There is a large group of collectors who don't know half the wrestlers from the 82/83 all star set but that does not mean its not a valuable and award winning set that brings a high dollar in either graded of complete set form.

There is a "HH version" of Hogans wcw topps card listed now and it is already up to 150. That card usually sells for around 350-400. That just goes to show that people are looking for these cards and will continue to try to build sets. I doubt its just a handful of guys driving these prices.
I agree. I have been buying and selling this set for many years. I have owned all but Bulldog and Flair and have had several copies of each card. Only one Booker and Mysterio but several of every other card in the set. There are so many set collectors out there that it blows me away. I have sold to so many people not on any of the major card forums. Most of the bigger collectors I have met through people and had no idea that these forums exist. This will always be a strong set for years to come.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
DasKlein has a good point; will the youngsters today remember the Hardcore Hak, Whipwreck, etc. and pay large amounts for these guys? I don't know. That is my concern with chasing the "ghosts" of this set. However, I guess it only takes one person to want it bad enough that they drop a couple grand on the Hak.

Anybody have any idea what the print run was on a guy like Savage from this set? You see him come up a lot for auction.
Print runs for the WCW autos have NEVER been disclosed by Topps.

I really doubt any were "short-printed". Some cards I think have a greater propensity to stay locked in people's collections (Hogan, Savage, Goldberg, Hall, etc), and therefore you don't see those listed as often. Autograph variations can also lead to scarcity, as some collector try to acquire all versions.

As for the cards that never made it into packs, there is always the chance that someone is still sitting on a stockpile of any the cards.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree. I have been buying and selling this set for many years. I have owned all but Bulldog and Flair and have had several copies of each card. Only one Booker and Mysterio but several of every other card in the set. There are so many set collectors out there that it blows me away. I have sold to so many people not on any of the major card forums. Most of the bigger collectors I have met through people and had no idea that these forums exist. This will always be a strong set for years to come.
Geoff your back!!!

Does this mean you are going to have another run at the wcw set..........lol
Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #140 (permalink)

Absolutely not haha. I have decided to stay away from cards for the most part. I am buying random cheap autos of things that I would never ever sell but mostly non-sport or John Wallace stuff from my 17 year old pc of his. I haven't watched wrestling in about a year and just lost interest. I said once I acquired a Booker T wcw auto I would be done and I got one. It has since been sold and its just nice to know I had one. I still have my one of a kind Scorpion King Rock auto though.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #141 (permalink)

well man at least just keep that....lol
Old 12-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Print runs for the WCW autos have NEVER been disclosed by Topps.

I really doubt any were "short-printed". Some cards I think have a greater propensity to stay locked in people's collections (Hogan, Savage, Goldberg, Hall, etc), and therefore you don't see those listed as often. Autograph variations can also lead to scarcity, as some collector try to acquire all versions.

As for the cards that never made it into packs, there is always the chance that someone is still sitting on a stockpile of any the cards.
What I like about this set is the unknown and how rare some cards may be.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #143 (permalink)

I've always hoped a Jay Leno auto card would surface.

How many wrestlers in the sets don't have auto cards???
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
I've always hoped a Jay Leno auto card would surface.

How many wrestlers in the sets don't have auto cards???
stevie Ray from harlem Heat is missing.
Ultimate warrior could of been in the set
Roddy Piper could of been in it.
the nasty boys are missing.
public enemy
steve mcMichael
Deborah (steves then wife)
Eric Bischoff
Women (Nancy Benoit)
Kevin Sullivan

I know I am missing some more but there are a bunch that I would of love to have seen in this set.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #145 (permalink)

Pretty sure all the talent you mentioned bar Stevie Ray, Warrior, and Bischoff were gone when these sets were out.

Ive been told a Vampiro exists, and have also heard rumours of Shane Douglas and Mike Awesome.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootan View Post
Pretty sure all the talent you mentioned bar Stevie Ray, Warrior, and Bischoff were gone when these sets were out.

Ive been told a Vampiro exists, and have also heard rumours of Shane Douglas and Mike Awesome.

Pretty interesting that after so many years of you guys collecting these there may still be a few that have yet to truly be discovered.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootan View Post

The first set was done in 98 and the cards were probably signed in early 98 maybe even late 97. They had to of started the planning in 97 at the latest. So its possible those guys were just not asked. Also Jeff Jarrett is one that could of been in the sets. Who knows the thought process behind why WCW did what they did. I am just glad guys like Curt Hennig were put in the set.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #148 (permalink)

David Flair and Brian Knobbs don't have autos card either.

It's interesting to note that some of the Auto card signers don't have base cards in any of the sets. Tank Abbott and Chastity come to mind.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #149 (permalink)

A set of 98 wcw topps autos ended tonight and it looks like the values of these cards overall are on the rise. People have really stashed these cards away in their PC's. That Hogan was a great price though, under $300.

This set is really becoming amazingly expensive. If you consider all the pack inserted cards from the 3 products one set, then this set is the most valuable wrestling set. When guys like Saturn are selling for over 100 a pop, thats amazing. I would consider a complete set (the 101 pack inserted autos) in the range of 10K, depending on signature variations. Amazing for a wrestling set.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #150 (permalink)

Technically, there are 102 pack inserted auto cards. Horace Hogan has cards with both logos.