Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default topps ufc

has anyone seen the price jump on this product i beleive i bought boxes at 65 and the cases were running about 780 or so now they are almost 110 a box and over 1200 a case...
caltek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

yeah un beleivable........... this is going to be hot. so glad i pre ordered my case for just under 700
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

while i am glad that they are making a product and as much of a fan of the ufc that i am, there is no reason the boxes should be that expensive. I just dont think the resale value will be there.
crr9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crr9381 View Post
while i am glad that they are making a product and as much of a fan of the ufc that i am, there is no reason the boxes should be that expensive. I just dont think the resale value will be there.
Are you kidding me? UFC has the highest demographic numbers for viewers 18-35, fastest growing sport, and it's pay-per-views routinely sell more pay ins than WWE.

As I told my local hobby shop owner, WHO DIDN'T ORDER ANY, this product is gonna be hot. I'm glad I pre-ordered as well. Once it hits, he may be upset he didn't buy any when he had the chance. It's too late now. It's way too expensive.

I personally want a Frank Mir / Brock Lesnar dual auto. That would rock my socks right off.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

anything st pierre or couture will sell like hot cakes as well. i just wish i would have ordered more boxes.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltek3 View Post
anything st pierre or couture will sell like hot cakes as well. i just wish i would have ordered more boxes.
I wonder if you'll be able to handle the St. Pierre card without it slipping out of your hands.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im not questioning the popularity of the sport, there is not a question it is getting quite popular. I just dont think there will be the huge hits that draw people to products in that price range. I think it being around 70-80 a box is about right, not 110+. I will still probably pick up a box or 2, but i dont think there will be the resale value for the fighters cards that i dont hold on to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Are you kidding me? UFC has the highest demographic numbers for viewers 18-35, fastest growing sport, and it's pay-per-views routinely sell more pay ins than WWE.

As I told my local hobby shop owner, WHO DIDN'T ORDER ANY, this product is gonna be hot. I'm glad I pre-ordered as well. Once it hits, he may be upset he didn't buy any when he had the chance. It's too late now. It's way too expensive.

I personally want a Frank Mir / Brock Lesnar dual auto. That would rock my socks right off.
crr9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

There really is no reason for this product to be this expensive. I get they changed the content to this product and added 3 autos and 3 relic cards, but this is too high in price. Your going to market yourself out of your audience. I visit several MMA boards all the time, and most see this and the price and say no way. WWE never releases a product that gets this close in price, and I also get there is probably not as many hits. However, how much is your biggest hit going to go for? $150 maybe $200? You crack a box and gets some under card fighters and cans you probably could have bought for $5 each. This product it too expensive to buy right now.

Edit: Anyone here have DealerNet? I'm Curious if there was someone running this up?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tim

I don't know anything about how high the best ones will go for, but I bet there are more $20-$25 hits than you think. With six hits per box, and the "commons" bringing a lot more than $5, this will be solid. Not to mention sets.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

dont forget about the parralel cards too.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I don't know anything about how high the best ones will go for, but I bet there are more $20-$25 hits than you think. With six hits per box, and the "commons" bringing a lot more than $5, this will be solid. Not to mention sets.
You are talking right out the gate. Look at what the Ring Kings are bringing, and that was a higher end product. Those cards that are $20-25 will come down quickly, and I assume the price for the boxes will after 2 months or so.

I will make an example of value:
You could by a box of Topps UFC or you could buy 2008 SPA Football.

You could almost get 2 boxes of 2008 BDPP for every 1 box of Topps UFC.

My point is, this product is out of it's price range right now. There is no RC cards, there is no huge hit on this product to make it worth it at this price. I want to rip it because I love MMA. But it is just craz at this price. I think someone bought a ton of this and is raising the price somewhere (DealerNet).
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
You are talking right out the gate. Look at what the Ring Kings are bringing, and that was a higher end product. Those cards that are $20-25 will come down quickly, and I assume the price for the boxes will after 2 months or so.

I will make an example of value:
You could by a box of Topps UFC or you could buy 2008 SPA Football.

You could almost get 2 boxes of 2008 BDPP for every 1 box of Topps UFC.

My point is, this product is out of it's price range right now. There is no RC cards, there is no huge hit on this product to make it worth it at this price. I want to rip it because I love MMA. But it is just craz at this price. I think someone bought a ton of this and is raising the price somewhere (DealerNet).
well im not sure if you will be able to make a set out of the one box. the base cards probably wont be worth much. the game used and autos will be the greatest obviously. but im sure there will be some filler in there. autos and game sued that you probably wont care for. this is the first of its kind , so wouldnt they all be rookie cards ? this will be a tough one . considering we already have had soem ring kings and allen ginter. i say coutures allen ginter is "the rookie card of mma "

by the way anyone know what the pride cards are worth ? i still havernt gone through my 2 boxes.............

Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

jeepers creepers, i just checked ebay and people are selling the 4 card promo pack given out at the ufc events. this 4 card pack is going for crazy money. even a 100 dollar buy it now. the description reads pierre card on the bottom of the pack and who knows what the other 3 cards are ? obviously there trying to ge tthe bidders to think there may be a auto in there. well they can fool some of the people but not all of the people. every person got the same 4 cards..........
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
1.) Every product does better right out of the gate, so I don't get your point. If you compare apples to apples (right out of the gate), you will get $20-$25 per on the common relics on this.

2.) The fact that Americana cost more is misleading. That product cost more b/c of the celeb cut autos and the celeb hits, not b/c of a MMA subset. Just because the manufacturer's direct pricing is more (Americana) doesn't mean it's better, especially when talking just about the UFC piece of it.

3.) Topps is not making as much of anything right now as they have in the past; therefore, I expect demand for the MMA to never become less than the supply. As a result, boxes will not slide after a couple months. If anything, they will go higher.

The only thing that can wreck this product is if Topps screws up the content, which I don't think will happen.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
1.) Every product does better right out of the gate, so I don't get your point. If you compare apples to apples (right out of the gate), you will get $20-$25 per on the common relics on this.

2.) The fact that Americana cost more is misleading. That product cost more b/c of the celeb cut autos and the celeb hits, not b/c of a MMA subset. Just because the manufacturer's direct pricing is more (Americana) doesn't mean it's better, especially when talking just about the UFC piece of it.

3.) Topps is not making as much of anything right now as they have in the past; therefore, I expect demand for the MMA to never become less than the supply. As a result, boxes will not slide after a couple months. If anything, they will go higher.

The only thing that can wreck this product is if Topps screws up the content, which I don't think will happen.
1.)If you think a common "relic" will bring $20-25 out the gate, then buy cases of this NOW! You will make $60 alone on relics, then the autgraphs should go for at least 50 each! That means a gross of over $200!

2.) I compare Americana because it cost more to get a UFC "hit" card in this product than in Topps.

3.)Topps made to order. Believing the cut production is misleading.

I believe this product is great, at $60-70
Peanuts 1 (1953)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 02-17-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what I bought in for, so I'm pretty happy so far.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Anyone in the Columbus area and are UFC fans, most of the fighters will be there and in past years they were highly available to sign almost anything. All of the fighters on the UFC 96 card will be there as well Couture and Dana White will be opening the martial arts ceremony on Friday. They just announced Shonie Carter will be doing a seminar. Just in case you are in the area.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

There is a break video on Beckett's site...

Beckett.com – Topps Co. Card News, Reviews and Videos
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post
There is a break video on Beckett's site...

Beckett.com – Topps Co. Card News, Reviews and Videos
Ouch. Best card was a redemption. Looks like those "versus" relic cards are just pieces of the mat.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
1.)If you think a common "relic" will bring $20-25 out the gate, then buy cases of this NOW! You will make $60 alone on relics, then the autgraphs should go for at least 50 each! That means a gross of over $200!

2.) I compare Americana because it cost more to get a UFC "hit" card in this product than in Topps.

3.)Topps made to order. Believing the cut production is misleading.

1.) I don't have to: I am already in for $58 a box.
2.) Who said anything about "cutting production?" As you said, Topps made to order. Now do you really think the sports-card dealers out there loaded up on MMA cards in this market?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
2.) Who said anything about "cutting production?" As you said, Topps made to order. Now do you really think the sports-card dealers out there loaded up on MMA cards in this market?
None of my local shops bought it. This is why I need to open a shop. The shop owners in my area are pretty much still stuck in an early 90's mindset and don't really utilize technology, i.e. forums, ebay, naxcom, etc.. I think they're missing out on a lot. I would have at least gotten a few boxes for my shop. Maybe I'll open a shop when I retire and spend my last days getting blisters on my fingers.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

$58 a box is a good price. My issue is at $100 plus, this product is not good at that price. Seeing redemptions and pieces of the mat as relics does not help either. At $100 a box, this product will sit on shelves. We are collectors, this has to hit a MMA fan to be a profit. Please, go surf MMALinker, MMAJunkie, Sherdog or any of the other big forums and see what they think. These are people are who this product is marketed too really. They are who buy the singles and the boxes.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #23 (permalink)

i dont know exactly how much of a hit these will be. but im just really happy to finally have mma cards. most of the people over at sherdog are immature teenagers that dont understand why people would collect these.

getting back to the latest price jump. i think its realy ridiculous. with people losing jobs, getting paid less, spending less ,etc.etc. who is going to buy this at 1200 a case ? months ago if i paid that i would be getting 2 cases. after looking at the auto list i could be wrong but it looks like topps pulled another topps mayo. theres quite abit misiing. it says lesnar couldnt sign in time ? are you kididng me ? with all of the delays this product had ? im wondering if there will be redemptions ?

i wonder what the group a autos are numbered to ? the autos pulled from the beckett break were very weak ....
Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

where did you get an updated list of cards? autos etc. im wondering what the price will be at the ufc online store for these..?will they be marked up as well?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Where is the updated auto list? I'm gonna be pretty P.O.'d if they pulled Lesnar. This would be a total bait and switch again by Topps