Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
yeah your right. everyones tastes will vary. i would take the gymnast over the poker guy any day. i just cant understand why a poker guy would be included in a set like this. a even worse example is topps putting a eating champion in allen ginter ? that just makes no sense to me
LOL...SK put Joey Chestnut, (hotdog eating champion), in Series B. I'm waiting for the poker fans to chime in. They'd tell you why the poker guys are included. Phil Hellmuth in Series A, Annie Duke in Series B, and you know the guy they're putting in Series C. So far, only one poker player per release. That's not too bad buy anyone's standard I don't think.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah your right. everyones tastes will vary. i would take the gymnast over the poker guy any day. i just cant understand why a poker guy would be included in a set like this. a even worse example is topps putting a eating champion in allen ginter ? that just makes no sense to me
Here's one poker fan. I agree they are not "sport" kings, but they are kings in their game. I appreciate the fact they only put one in the checklist per year also. It is well representative of the ratio of people looking for them.

Anyway if you bust a sportkings and grab a poker card PM me and I'll take it if you cut me a decent price. Your risk is now lower to end up with something you don't want.

Another thing. If you are not impressed by the sportkings checklist, I think you might just don't like sports. I mean they have every single big names of every sports or discipline? If a player is not there yet it will be in a next release, they can't put all the good one in one single release. They don't produce the same athlete over and over until the market is flood with worthless cards of the bests like UD or topps or others do.
MikeDtonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #28 (permalink)

Poker and eating competitions are now sports!!! Razor Poker did pretty well in resale didn't it? Better than MMA.....lol. At least The eating competions aren't their own entity and are mixed into a product.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #29 (permalink)

Yeah that was my point. One per year is enough for poker fans and not too disturbing for the others that collect sports.
MikeDtonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDtonation View Post
Here's one poker fan. I agree they are not "sport" kings, but they are kings in their game. I appreciate the fact they only put one in the checklist per year also. It is well representative of the ratio of people looking for them.

Anyway if you bust a sportkings and grab a poker card PM me and I'll take it if you cut me a decent price. Your risk is now lower to end up with something you don't want.

Another thing. If you are not impressed by the sportkings checklist, I think you might just don't like sports. I mean they have every single big names of every sports or discipline? If a player is not there yet it will be in a next release, they can't put all the good one in one single release. They don't produce the same athlete over and over until the market is flood with worthless cards of the bests like UD or topps or others do.
i dont like sports ? thats crazy. what i did say was i wasnt too impressed with the 4 or 5 names mentioned so far. im sure overall once the checklist is released i will be happy with it.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #31 (permalink)

I just noticed this thread. Normally I could write a novel on Sportkings, but I'm busy so I'll just say a few things.

There's a huge market for the poker players, more than you think.

Like MikeD, I'm big time into the SK poker players. If anyone pulls any poker players, throw them on eBay and you'll see why they're some of the most valuable cards in the series.

I'm TOTALLY down with people not wanting the poker players. Personally, I wouldn't collect the skiers. To each his own. But to imply there's no justification for the poker players' inclusion is not doing research. Of the 48 cards in Series A, Hellmuth sells in the top 10, and I'm guessing he's around #7. Of the 60 cards in Series B, Duke sells in the top 5. Based on that, how could anyone assume the poker players don't belong? Clearly there are many collectors who say otherwise. But again, I get that some people don't want them. If so, please ship them to me, thanks.
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #32 (permalink)

It's crazy what the Annie Duke base cards sell for. I was getting outbid nearly every time, so I just quit bidding on them.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #33 (permalink)

Seeing Hellmuth base sell for $10-$15 when most others sell for $5-$10, I was shocked. I thought FOR SURE Annie Duke would sell for $10 max when Series B first came out. She actually sells for $20+!!!! One even sold for $45... it really blows my mind, but it just goes to show there is a fanbase people seem to not notice.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek55 View Post
Seeing Hellmuth base sell for $10-$15 when most others sell for $5-$10, I was shocked. I thought FOR SURE Annie Duke would sell for $10 max when Series B first came out. She actually sells for $20+!!!! One even sold for $45... it really blows my mind, but it just goes to show there is a fanbase people seem to not notice.
If it's SK related...I notice.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #35 (permalink)

Oh trust me, I know you notice!

I'm talking about the people who don't understand why the poker players are in the series. Mark my words, they will be some of the most valuable cards in the long run (and of course they already are).
Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek55 View Post
Oh trust me, I know you notice!

I'm talking about the people who don't understand why the poker players are in the series. Mark my words, they will be some of the most valuable cards in the long run (and of course they already are).
Derek,

I just learned that Duke, Hellmuth and Negreanu, (spelling?), are all included in the next Super Box release set for June 1st! How do you feel about that?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #37 (permalink)

so im not sure when series c will be out. i really want to get a box of these. should i go with a or b ?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
so im not sure when series c will be out. i really want to get a box of these. should i go with a or b ?
Series C will be out in late July to coincide with the National show in Cleveland.

If you want to buy a box now, go with Series B. There are a LOT of cut autos yet to surface, and your return could be big. If you don't hit one of those though, and you plan on flipping what you rip, you might be in for some disappointment as sales are low right now.

If you're wanting to buy Sportkings to collect, I would suggest buying singles on-line. Their new Super Boxes are going to release on June 1st, and there will be a lot of singles for sale on Ebay once that's released.

Good luck with what you decide.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

i ended up getting 3 boxes of each. should get them in time for the weekend

by the way when series c comes out i may want a case. how many boxes per case on the past releases
Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
i ended up getting 3 boxes of each. should get them in time for the weekend

by the way when series c comes out i may want a case. how many boxes per case on the past releases
There are 18-box master cases that are made up of 6 inner 3-box cases.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Derek,

I just learned that Duke, Hellmuth and Negreanu, (spelling?), are all included in the next Super Box release set for June 1st! How do you feel about that?
I heard about this. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I feel that the more "free" cards SK makes (and let's be clear, these are advertised as free cards), the worse it is.

Say you find the Pete Rose Super Box 1/1 from last year. You paid $X for it. Now another comes along... a different design perhaps, but another Pete Rose Super Box 1/1. How much should the new one go for? We could debate all day (and I'm willing if it's an SK discussion), but I think the value of each subsequent 1/1 should decrease, and even the original 1/1's value might go down a bit. Would it make much sense to have the new Rose sell for more than the first? Not to me, but there are a lot of variables. What if some clueless seller sold the first one for $100, for example? My point is, the more they make, the less special I feel some of these are. What do you think about that?

I'm not sure I like this "watered down" effect SK is placing on us collectors with these freebie incentives (like they did for those awful National 1/1 cards). That being said, these Super Box cards are some of the most valuable in the series! Far more valuable than people originally thought.

Some positives: if you didn't get the 1/1 you wanted last year, now you have a second chance to get it this year. I guess that's good? For me, it kind of sucks because it's just more mega money cards for me to chase, but then again why should I chase it all? I'm not the only one who likes this stuff. I had to get used to the fact that I can't own everything I would like in the world of SK... I'm sure you know the feeling to a much fuller extent. I'm very happy and blessed to have what I have though.

In conclusion, I'm excited about the new release! I'm hoping to at least see what the poker Super Box cards will look like if I can't own them.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #42 (permalink)

Default not impressed

Hi

i have been looking at some of the cards have been going on auction the limited ones and they have been making stuff all.

A lot of buy it know prices on ebay that are high but don't see really anyone buying stuff cause they don't want to pay the money for the cards.

So spending 300 US or on box of sportkings is too overpriced seen some people sell them for 250US but that is about the most i would pay for them.

Seller of the boxes seem not too budge of prices of the boxes esp companies with stock of like 50 or 60 boxes can understand why there not sold know cause they asking stupid amount of each box .

So wondering if sellers of the boxes will mark up there prices of boxes too stupid amounts were alot of the boxes will never be sold. I asked one seller to even discount his boxes by 20US even though sellers were selling them 20US or more lower than his price he wouldn't budge. So looks like i wont be buying from a company that has like 50 boxes in stock and got them for discounted price but still want to make 100% profit. so too much greed of this company actually stops them selling them to the public
Johnsmithysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 AM   #43 (permalink)

Remember, this is an investment opportunity (and a hobby to some!). If I were to offer $2,000 to someone in six months for $1,000 today, most would see that as a good investment provided that I intend on paying. Also, most would look at the $1,000 as a "large" investment and therefore have some hesitation, but ask yourself... how much are you willing to spend to reap reward? If you're looking to spend $20, you're probably better off buying lottery tickets. But if you invest $1,000 in Sportkings singles, you just may get a nice return on it some day.

Of course I cannot guarantee anything, but there are two types of people here: those that invest in Sportkings and those that do not. One of us will be relieved at the decision we made while the people in the opposite camp will feel otherwise. Time will tell.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Series C will be out in late July to coincide with the National show in Cleveland.

If you want to buy a box now, go with Series B. There are a LOT of cut autos yet to surface, and your return could be big. If you don't hit one of those though, and you plan on flipping what you rip, you might be in for some disappointment as sales are low right now.

If you're wanting to buy Sportkings to collect, I would suggest buying singles on-line. Their new Super Boxes are going to release on June 1st, and there will be a lot of singles for sale on Ebay once that's released.

Good luck with what you decide.
im more of a collector then a flipper. but i enjoy the occasional monster hit just like anyone else.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #45 (permalink)

Default well?

Well i like to buy boxes of things and see what i get in them keep some for my personal collection and sell of the stuff i dont want but if top stars arent getting much money its bad for me cause i use that money to buy other boxes.

But if you are losing about 80% of you're money on the box makes it hard to keep affording to buying boxes. I like box breaking not really into buying single cards. So wish either the cards would be good in value or the price of the boxes came down to reflect how the cards are really selling in the market
Johnsmithysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
im more of a collector then a flipper. but i enjoy the occasional monster hit just like anyone else.
Then you need to try and buy a Super Box of Sportkings when they're released on June 1st. You are guaranteed a 1/1 card and 2 boxes of Series B that could also contain other 1/1s that sell in upwards of a grand or more. If you're wanting to buy a box of SK, this has your best chance of at least making your money back with the best shot at potentially a lot more.

There are only 200 Super Boxes produced and I bet they sell out within 3 days or less. Last year's sold out in 2 days, but there were only 140 produced then.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #47 (permalink)

yeah i never even knew about these super boxes until you guys started talking about them. i will have to check them out. anyone know when these will be available for order ?

my boxes of a and b will be here this afternoon
Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah i never even knew about these super boxes until you guys started talking about them. i will have to check them out. anyone know when these will be available for order ?

my boxes of a and b will be here this afternoon
They made 200 of these this year, and will go on sale by the end of this week. Make sure to get your order in fast though as last year's sold out in just a couple of days! I'm assuming the same will happen again this year given the popularity of these bad boys.