Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
even with the good list of signers I just can't get excited about having cartoon looking drawings as the card design
I prefer artwork to real pictures, personally.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #102 (permalink)

its either that or have new pics of them as old men haha
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #103 (permalink)

I prefer artwork too, but this is not the best available. I personally know several artists on the scoundrel boards that are huge wrestling fans that would have jumped at the chance of producing the artwork for this set....on the cheap too. Maybe this was a family member or Brian Gray himself? The fact is, if the artwork were of Sportkings quality with this checklist I don't think there would be ANY hesitation with buying this. Real shame ...
viperdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #104 (permalink)

Is that Wendy Richter in the last picture? I'm loving this set. These mid 80s stars are my earliest memories of wrestling. The nostalgia of this set is going to resonate with 30-somethings like me. This product could be a monster.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #105 (permalink)

i dont think the artwork is that bad. the ones in the mockup on the sell sheet werent good but the ones that you can see them signing are pretty decent
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
Which one of the Fabulous Freebirds was this guy??

WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #107 (permalink)

Terry Gordy???? LOL
Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
i dont think the artwork is that bad. the ones in the mockup on the sell sheet werent good but the ones that you can see them signing are pretty decent
Exactly what I was thinking. That Vader art was badass.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #109 (permalink)

Let's just agree that the art isn't great. Maybe I am wrong but normally a company puts their best foot forward with the sell-sheet. I am a buyer because of the on-card sigs, but some of the art shown is just cheese... Just imagine how much more awesome the set would be with an artist like Jared Kelley who did all the art for the latest Sportsking release. Then I would vote this set EASILY "set of the year". For nostalgic reasons it could still be !
Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdays View Post
Let's just agree that the art isn't great. Maybe I am wrong but normally a company puts their best foot forward with the sell-sheet. I am a buyer because of the on-card sigs, but some of the art shown is just cheese... Just imagine how much more awesome the set would be with an artist like Jared Kelley who did all the art for the latest Sportsking release. Then I would vote this set EASILY "set of the year". For nostalgic reasons it could still be !
I refuse to agree to anything of the sort because I haven't seen the set. The Bobby Heenans look awesome. Flair and Nash leave little to be desired. How about I see all of the cards and THEN give my opinion on how good it is?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #111 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
I refuse to agree to anything of the sort because I haven't seen the set. The Bobby Heenans look awesome. Flair and Nash leave little to be desired. How about I see all of the cards and THEN give my opinion on how good it is?
I dont need to see the rest of the set to know that the art will not be at the level of a Goodwin or a Sportkings set. I have 5 cases on order so I love the set idea and the profits to be had ....I just dislike the execution with art that is subpar for the market. I deal with sketchcards A LOT and know many of the artists on the scene personally. Some are diehard wrestling fans and would have done this set for near nothing and they are photo realistic artists. I will make sure to get Gray and these artists together for the next release

Last edited by viperdays; 07-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #112 (permalink)

INterested in any and all Marty Janetty's anyone pulls.
lexus2903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2903 View Post
INterested in any and all Marty Janetty's anyone pulls.
Noted . I am 38 and this set is bringing back wonderful memories. All the set is missing ,for me, is the American Dream ....oh to get hit with a bionic elbow!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdays View Post
I dont need to see the rest of the set to know that the art will not be at the level of a Goodwin or a Sportkings set. I have 5 cases on order so I love the set idea and the profits to be had ....I just dislike the execution with art that is subpar for the market. I deal with sketchcards A LOT and know many of the artists on the scene personally. Some are diehard wrestling fans and would have done this set for near nothing and they are photo realistic artists. I will make sure to get Gray and these artists together for the next release
As do I. My friend Luis Diaz would have done a phenomenal job and still brought out style.

Still, I don't see how we can discard it all as garbage because of two bad images in a sell sheet. That seems closed-minded.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
As do I. My friend Luis Diaz would have done a phenomenal job and still brought out style.

Still, I don't see how we can discard it all as garbage because of two bad images in a sell sheet. That seems closed-minded.
Not being closed minded. Not one image is anywhere near Diaz in my opinion. I am a HUGE wrastlin' fan so I am feeling real nostalgic here
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #116 (permalink)

I wouldve done half the art on the set for a couple boxes to break! Heres some of my wwe artwork...

thepick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #117 (permalink)

Red face

Nice Samoa Joe. Cool that you were able to get him to sign it as well
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #118 (permalink)

He didnt sign it...it was a commission pic and that was part of the pic. Glad you like it.
thepick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #119 (permalink)

Very nice stuff, Pick. Wish I could draw!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #120 (permalink)

i still think the art looks great. i personally cant stand the look of sportkings cards, not sure what it is but even when i had a MASSIVE rodman pc i wouldn't even touch any of his sportkings stuff. ugly cards and seemed like a cheaply made product.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #121 (permalink)
Banned

A couple more signers I know they are working last minute on.. Brian was at a leaf pop century release in my area a few weeks back and he said Chyna Jim the Anvil Neidhart and Bobby heenan I guess heenan did sign already and it may his last on card auto produced he's in bad shape missing his lower jaw.

Update is Chyna is in rehab AGAIN but still expected to be in the product in time
NEIDHART still I'm jail awaiting confirmation on signing
letsgohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #122 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dreamerfan

I would love to get a George the Animal Steele auto out of this and that is where I stop

I super collect Blair White-Larry Walker
dreamerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #123 (permalink)

I have never been more on the fence over a product. I want to want it so badly, as HUGE wrestling fan (back then). The lack of an official checklist is hurting my confidence also. I'm thinking about a case. The Vader looks awesome to me and I would like some smaller names like Janetty. Baclund and Jake Roberts would be cool, too. :/
YakuzaShoeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #124 (permalink)

My LCS said this will be delayed till Mid-Late august. Say it ain't so, I trust the guy but you never know. Got the email about 5:30 pm PST.
Reignman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuzaShoeii View Post
I have never been more on the fence over a product. I want to want it so badly, as HUGE wrestling fan (back then). The lack of an official checklist is hurting my confidence also. I'm thinking about a case. The Vader looks awesome to me and I would like some smaller names like Janetty. Baclund and Jake Roberts would be cool, too. :/
Backlund has already signed his cards. Posted pictures of it somewhere in here. I think his auto will do well. Would this be his first cert?
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote