Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlaw View Post
I love it here I'm the Irish U20 Triple Jump Champion and it fuels my passion for these cards, it was about time we got some quality athletics cards
How does the triple jump work in Ireland -- are you allowed to take a drink after the hop and skip?

I kid, I kid! Congrats though, that is mighty impressive! I was a distance runner (1600/3200) when I did track back in high school (I was a better cross country runner though). I always thought the triple jump was a supremely awesome event and was jealous of those who had the hops for it.

I'm half-Irish myself (the good half!)...I visited Dublin for a weekend when I was studying abroad in London (got to take a tour of the Wicklow Mountains too!). It's a really lovely country and it makes me proud to have Irish blood
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser9698 View Post
Every poster should be assigned one athlete to find the best date for selling.

dashcounter, when should we sell Phelps? and so on...
im leanings towards the later part of the olympics. i think the hype is highest after he's won all his medals...but when multiple copies, i probably will spread them out so maybe 1 a week and setting them to end when a specific race is over

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #128 (permalink)

I hit a ryan lochte auto back when the product first dropped and I have not looked at completed listings until today and they are going for $150 plus right now......should list it now or hold on to it till after he beats m. phelps?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
I know all these auto's are going high with trials and will again when the olympics come along but what about the worn relics? Will they not rise too?
I think the relics, pins, and patches will do well once the Olympics begin. Some of the autos are going to get out of the price range of most buyers, so buyers will begin to gravitate toward the less costly relics. People who want a "piece of the athlete" will go after the worn relics, while people who want a nice display piece will go after the pins and patches.

Just IMHO.
PalmTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadbloom View Post
I hit a ryan lochte auto back when the product first dropped and I have not looked at completed listings until today and they are going for $150 plus right now......should list it now or hold on to it till after he beats m. phelps?
I think he's going to win quite a few medals, including golds, so you might want to wait. Also, he's going to be one of the athletes that NBC is going to cover heavily.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
No, COMC. I've got through almost a whole case now and I had everything marked up 2-3x book value waiting for the olympics to start, and the stuff started selling.. I've done very well with Olympics stuff. Hindsight = wishes he ordered 3 cases now.
I have her silver auto listed on ebay if you want to make an offer for it off the bay then flip on COMC we could both win.
711 Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #132 (permalink)

Holy crap...going back through my scans I had no idea I had this many(been a month since I've bought one). Total cost: $2062. 3 Leyvas, 2 Ellisons, Silver Wambach, Jessica Long auto not pictured. Over half of the total cost was for the Phelps stuff before I even knew this set was coming out...hoping it provides a bit of a return. 390 for the Ginter /8, 500 for the FOTG BGS 9, and 132 for the UD auto. Lochte Silver(not pictured) was sold for 250 3 weeks after purchasing for 62. I have no idea what I spent that PayPal on

I think next Olympics we can expect prices to be higher out of the gate. Hopefully not, though.

Last edited by Fraser9698; 07-13-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Fraser9698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #133 (permalink)

I've kept a few detailed spreadsheets. Right now I have $4406 invested in this stuff. I've only sold two cards with a profit of $180 and $100 respectively. Hopefully it works out, otherwise this will be the last time I try something so ambitious haha
marlinsfan9108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #134 (permalink)

Holy crap, you guys went ALL IN. From a buyers standpoint July prices on ebay have been ridiculous. Think about it, an Alex Morgan auto for 150+? Franklin 180? Lolo Jones +-80? We see these athletes every 4 years, ebay prices are making them look like Mike Trout. I'm glad I'm along for the ride but some of this stuff doesn't make sense.
Reignman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman40 View Post
Holy crap, you guys went ALL IN. From a buyers standpoint July prices on ebay have been ridiculous. Think about it, an Alex Morgan auto for 150+? Franklin 180? Lolo Jones +-80? We see these athletes every 4 years, ebay prices are making them look like Mike Trout. I'm glad I'm along for the ride but some of this stuff doesn't make sense.
I can why an Alex Morgan would command a lot because she has so much...ahem...universal appeal, shall we call it? You make an interesting point about the ebb and flow of these athletes' popularity, though. True, we do only really hear about them once every four years. That said, this is the first set of its kind so it's really hard to tell what'll happen after the Closing Ceremonies. If Missy Franklin strikes gold many times over, will her 2012 cards make a reappearance when she inevitably qualifies in 2016?

I've got a fair share of these cards and I anticipate they'll be in very high demand again after the Opening Ceremonies, when Olympic buzz reaches fever pitch. What happens after that...well, I guess we'll find out
Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinsfan9108 View Post
I've kept a few detailed spreadsheets. Right now I have $4406 invested in this stuff. I've only sold two cards with a profit of $180 and $100 respectively. Hopefully it works out, otherwise this will be the last time I try something so ambitious haha
I don't even want to know how much money I've dumped into this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman40 View Post
We see the Olympics every four years, but we don't necessarily see the same athletes every four years. Some of them, yes. But there are lots of athletes who retire between Olympics, and lots of fresh faces to replace them.

The Olympics get a lot of people excited because it happens infrequently, and because of the patriotic spirit. Imagine what collecting would be like if the major sports championships were held only every fourth year, like the World Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
If Missy Franklin strikes gold many times over, will her 2012 cards make a reappearance when she inevitably qualifies in 2016?
They most certainly will, but winning multiple golds increases the chances that she'll sign for other sets (Allen & Ginter, Goodwin Champions, World of Sports, Pop Century). Granted, she'll have to sign for free since she'll be in high school and college, but the possibility is there. If that happens, it will dilute the focus in 2016 from a single card to several.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
How does the triple jump work in Ireland -- are you allowed to take a drink after the hop and skip?

I kid, I kid! Congrats though, that is mighty impressive! I was a distance runner (1600/3200) when I did track back in high school (I was a better cross country runner though). I always thought the triple jump was a supremely awesome event and was jealous of those who had the hops for it.

I'm half-Irish myself (the good half!)...I visited Dublin for a weekend when I was studying abroad in London (got to take a tour of the Wicklow Mountains too!). It's a really lovely country and it makes me proud to have Irish blood
No no we don't take a drink after the hop and step but instead of landing in sand we land in a pool of guinness :P

I have a lot of respect for long distance runners but I have a small case of marfans syndrome which Michael Phelps had a scare of because he has all the signs tall, massive wingspan, big feet etc. and so I could never do long distance but I do love triple jump. This is my favourite card from the british olympic set, the Idowu card

I'm from Waterford down in the south east of Ireland. It's lovely down here but the weather at times can be horrible but what can you do

I have the jersey card that Lashawn Merritt is using as his Twitter avatar.
Do I have a case to sue him? jokes

When it comes to the auto's I have a feeling Gay is going to come big at London so I'll invest in one of his auto's hopefully I can pick up a numbered one
Portlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #138 (permalink)

These cards are short term investments. Anyone holding waaaaaaaay past the closing ceremonies are foolish.

JohnAndrew...let's not beat around the bushes....Alex Morgan is freaking the hottest girl in sports right now...there ya go!

Last edited by messier2; 07-14-2012 at 11:27 AM.
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #139 (permalink)

Yahoo! Video Detail for Alex Morgan's bodypaint
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
mmmmmmmmmm love me some Alex Morgan!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
No no we don't take a drink after the hop and step but instead of landing in sand we land in a pool of guinness :P

I have a lot of respect for long distance runners but I have a small case of marfans syndrome which Michael Phelps had a scare of because he has all the signs tall, massive wingspan, big feet etc. and so I could never do long distance but I do love triple jump. This is my favourite card from the british olympic set, the Idowu card

I'm from Waterford down in the south east of Ireland. It's lovely down here but the weather at times can be horrible but what can you do

I have the jersey card that Lashawn Merritt is using as his Twitter avatar.
Do I have a case to sue him? jokes

When it comes to the auto's I have a feeling Gay is going to come big at London so I'll invest in one of his auto's hopefully I can pick up a numbered one
Bahahaha love me some Guiness! I had a blast visiting the factory on my Dublin visit.

Those cards are super cool! I might try to track them down on eBay after the Games once the price goes down.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
JohnAndrew...let's not beat around the bushes....Alex Morgan is freaking the hottest girl in sports right now...there ya go!
And there ya have it!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about! lol

Alex Gordon seems to agree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8WVoRki1I

Last edited by messier2; 07-15-2012 at 09:00 AM.
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #144 (permalink)

Alex Morgan is a hot girl with small tits. They're literally everywhere, around every college campus.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #145 (permalink)
Banned

I was looking to pick up a couple more Missy Franklin autos, but is no one worried that the market will be flooded with these during the Olympics? And maybe the demand now is high since everyone is trying to get in on the action. But only stupid people would buy it during the Olympics. Any thoughts on this?
RookieFan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieFan15 View Post
I was looking to pick up a couple more Missy Franklin autos, but is no one worried that the market will be flooded with these during the Olympics? And maybe the demand now is high since everyone is trying to get in on the action. But only stupid people would buy it during the Olympics. Any thoughts on this?
The people buying during the Olympics are likely people that don't follow cards closely at all. They simply want a piece of the action. I'm not too concerned about the market flooding. There will be tons of buyers and for the prices at which I bought at, I don't necessarily have to hit a home run for every card
marlinsfan9108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #147 (permalink)

^^^Exactly, this is the same reason that Phelps' FOTG autos were selling last time around for $1,000 - $1,200. It is not the everyday card collectors who will be throwing around big cash for these once the Games start. This is also why I think it is silly to have these cards graded since non-card collectors won't give a poop about grading.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #148 (permalink)

^ Hopefully the do the same this time around.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #149 (permalink)
Banned

I have purchased a ton as well now I have 25 sets including all the medal sets x2 any suggestions when it comes to base cards and medal cards? Sell as sets or should I sell as large quantity player lots? Also if in lots what's a good starting price for 25 card lots of each athlete
letsgohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #150 (permalink)

just pulled a Phelps...do I BIN/BO or 7 day auction and let it ride?
TFD50 is offline   Reply With Quote