Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Manufacturer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 447
Default Important News from Sportkings

Check out my blog for some important Sportkings news.

According To Dr. Price

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Default

That is going to take forever to achieve and whoever gets 25 of each letter will have spent between $3,000-$5,000 most likely.
mh01460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Manufacturer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 447
Default

We are not twisting anyone's hand to redeem for one of these mammoth cards.

Collectors asked me if this was possible, so I did it for them. So it will be up to those collectors to determine if they think it is worth it or not.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
That is going to take forever to achieve and whoever gets 25 of each letter will have spent between $3,000-$5,000 most likely.
It is just another way to sell off the remaining wax. The product is horendous and the resale value is pathetic. When the auto/relic average is about $10, collectors/rippers are losing about $70 per box and thats if it was purchased at cost ($80 per). The redemption program for the national will push people to open the product in hopes of hitting a huge 1/1 patch etc. This will just cause the price of the single letters to increase, thus create more buzz on the product and then maybe push the product down the line so all the wax gets opened.
dusty1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,854
Default

I wonder what athletes Wheeler will pick to have art cards of.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 361
Default

Never bought this product. What are the odds off pulling a "lettered" card?
chadj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
IronMonkey415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 16,555
Default

To have her paint Shawn Kemp would be a dream come true for me.
__________________
Only shipping in the U.S.
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Default

Brian, I was not saying anything against what you had posted in your blog. I am simply saying that companies have done these promotions in the past where you have to spell out certain letters and its a shame to see people buying and selling them on ebay for hundreds of dollars without a sure 100% they will be redeemed before the deadline.
mh01460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
That is going to take forever to achieve and whoever gets 25 of each letter will have spent between $3,000-$5,000 most likely.
With complete sets selling for around $100, if anyone spends $5,000 for 25 sets, they have way too much money in the first place.

However, if what you say is true, I wonder what these paintings will be worth? Just think if Mr. Kelley becomes famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
I wonder what athletes Wheeler will pick to have art cards of.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chadj88 View Post
Never bought this product. What are the odds off pulling a "lettered" card?
1 per box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
Brian, I was not saying anything against what you had posted in your blog. I am simply saying that companies have done these promotions in the past where you have to spell out certain letters and its a shame to see people buying and selling them on ebay for hundreds of dollars without a sure 100% they will be redeemed before the deadline.
The deadline is nearly a year away, if I understand it correctly. I see no shame in any of this.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 361
Default

Wow....you can commission some nice artist for 5k.
chadj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Default

Well you know they are not going to make an equal number of letters. There is always going to be that one person with the letter you want and they 1. don't want to sell it or 2. want you to pay $$$ for it.
mh01460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Manufacturer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 447
Default

I didn't realize how controversial it would be to simply make a bonus available for collectors.

No one's arm is being twisted, we were asked to do this and we responded, simple as that.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 4,268
Default

All I can think about is how nice a mammoth Gretzky or Brodeur would look...this would be a true centerpiece to any supercollectors collection.

Another great redemption program by Dr. Price, very nice indeed.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
TheHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,662
Default

I wish more companies valued their customers like Dr. Price does.
__________________
48,230
Pending Deals: joem1cha3l
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
Well you know they are not going to make an equal number of letters. There is always going to be that one person with the letter you want and they 1. don't want to sell it or 2. want you to pay $$$ for it.
I have estimated there are 750 of the shortest printed letter.

Since it only takes ONE of these letters when spelling out "SPORTKIGNS", there are 750 sets possible. So if there is one seller holding out on one letter, don't fret, there will be other sellers that are more reasonable.

You are acting like this is similar to the Boardwalk Monopoly piece from McDonald's, (or whatever the rarest piece is). It's simply not true. I know collectors that could already redeem enough sets for these amazing works of art. What I don't know is if they will redeem 25 sets for one big art card or 25 sets for 5 smaller art cards.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,167
Default

That's incredible! For collectors who seriously collect Sportkings products, I think this is a nice reward.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
IndySportsCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 23,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
I wish more companies valued their customers like Dr. Price does.
^^^ It's like he listens to us or something. The "other" companies tend to only listen to their history or marketing weasels.
__________________
Indy's CGC Gradings Master Thread - http://tinyurl.com/p45agbh
Want your Comic Graded or Pressed? - http://tinyurl.com/pn74odq
Notify you of new Gradings? - http://tinyurl.com/no58cku
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
TheHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
^^^ It's like he listens to us or something. The "other" companies tend to only listen to their history or marketing weasels.
That company does listen to the collector. To the poster in earlier posts, not every box will have an equal value. It's like any other box where it is a gamble. I just have to give credit to Dr. Price and his team for being a collector's friend. The cards are well thought out, put together nicely and have a quality feel tO them.
__________________
48,230
Pending Deals: joem1cha3l
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Default

SPORTKINGS=10 letters
1 letter per box= $80 avg.
$80x10 letters=$800 per set

$800x25 to redeem=$20,000

If you know someone who has "opened enough boxes to be able to redeem the set" then they have way too much money and time on their hands.

If you really want the art, hopefully you can buy the letters cheap on eBay.
mh01460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Dobber2330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 2,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
SPORTKINGS=10 letters
1 letter per box= $80 avg.
$80x10 letters=$800 per set

$800x25 to redeem=$20,000

If you know someone who has "opened enough boxes to be able to redeem the set" then they have way too much money and time on their hands.

If you really want the art, hopefully you can buy the letters cheap on eBay.
Well I guess that if you only got the one letter in your box then your math would work... Since there are other cards in the box assigning the full value of the box to the letter card seem a little silly don't you think???
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Chaddie84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 6,349
Default

Kind of OT - I don't collect golf, but that Mickelson is SICK!
__________________
COMC Prices Dropped and Auto-Accept set to 20%!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
cardsrus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bloomington, Illinois
Posts: 1,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I have estimated there are 750 of the shortest printed letter.

Since it only takes ONE of these letters when spelling out "SPORTKIGNS", there are 750 sets possible. So if there is one seller holding out on one letter, don't fret, there will be other sellers that are more reasonable.

You are acting like this is similar to the Boardwalk Monopoly piece from McDonald's, (or whatever the rarest piece is). It's simply not true. I know collectors that could already redeem enough sets for these amazing works of art. What I don't know is if they will redeem 25 sets for one big art card or 25 sets for 5 smaller art cards.
This is a historic day, Wheeler just misspelled Sportkings!
__________________
http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Users/cardsrus1

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 321
Default

The math was only for the letters. Whether you keep the actual sports cards or not, you are still out the price of the box. Then, if you get more of one letter than you need and not enough of the other it would throw you off. If you go box by box and assume that each box is around $80 then to piece together the 25 complete sets would cost between $20,000-$30,000.
mh01460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 4,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
The math was only for the letters. Whether you keep the actual sports cards or not, you are still out the price of the box. Then, if you get more of one letter than you need and not enough of the other it would throw you off. If you go box by box and assume that each box is around $80 then to piece together the 25 complete sets would cost between $20,000-$30,000.

Or you could join awesome BO group breaks with special additions from Dr. Price;
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/t...check-out.html

I'm sure the guys would be more than happy to trade any hit slots for premium base slots with Dr. Price adding in additional hits and 1/1 art cards. Then, 4 premium cards only costs you 63.40 per slot so only 15.85 per letter.

15.85 x10 = 158.50 per set
158.50 x 25 sets = 3962.50

So good lord man, you were going to spend 20-30k for this? I just saved you over 16 grand!!!! Tell you what, no need to split the difference with me, just cut me a check or BO gift cert for 2K and we'll call it even.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
This is a historic day, Wheeler just misspelled Sportkings!
I can't believe it! Maybe a mod edited my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh01460 View Post
The math was only for the letters. Whether you keep the actual sports cards or not, you are still out the price of the box. Then, if you get more of one letter than you need and not enough of the other it would throw you off. If you go box by box and assume that each box is around $80 then to piece together the 25 complete sets would cost between $20,000-$30,000.
On the entire planet, do you think there is 1 person out of the nearly 7 Billion that would do this?

What if the people opening boxes actually sell the extra cards? What if those that do open to collect complete sets "trade" for what they need?

While your math can make sense, for all intents and purposes, it makes no sense. Nobody is going to be out $20K - $30K by building 25 complete "SPORTKINGS" sets.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/racing-golf-other-sports/339662-important-news-sportkings.html
Posted By For Type Date
Collectors Universe Forums - Current Sport Kings Cards, 2007-20..., Do they have a big following? Any real value? This thread Refback 07-26-2012 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.