Blowout Cards Forums
Save big on officially licensed NFL fan merchandise at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #51 (permalink)

I think An Andre the Giant 1974 Yamakatsu New Japan Pro Wrestling card is worthy of the top 5. It's the first traditional card of Andre the Giant. It was issued in Japan as part of a 40 card set. I have the card at BGS right now for grading. Ill post a scan when I get it back. Yamakatsu made several different sets. Inserted in each box was a gold foil stamped winner card. The card could be redeemed for an album. Its one of the first parallel cards I have heard of. I have never seen an Andre with the gold foil but if one ever did surface i think it would be right up there with a high grade 82 hogan.

Here is a sample of what the stamp looks like. I have never seen without an X. That was how the card was marked one it was redeemed.
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #52 (permalink)

Here's my favorite Andre the Giant "rookie" card, published in 1973 as a supplement to a newspaper in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Top 5 Wrestling cards ever issued?-1973andre.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #53 (permalink)

Here are two more early Andre cards from the 1979 Kings of the Square Ring menko set:
Attached Thumbnails
Top 5 Wrestling cards ever issued?-andre.jpg  
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #54 (permalink)

4mightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #55 (permalink)

I'm amazed at the price of wrestling cards now.

Around 2005 I really bulked up my collection, then a couple years later I sold everything.

I actually pulled a Hogan WCW/NWO auto from a few packs from a LCS in 1998. I wouldn't have sold it if Hogan signed it correctly - I had the version signed on the back. I believe I got about $150 for it.

Around 2005 I picked up a Taker War Booty auto for $55 dlvd, sold it for around $150. I bought an Eddie Guerrero for $100, sold for $200..

Bret Hart for $50 - $100
Hart & Nash for $95 combined - I think I got close to $200 combined
I bought some boxes around 2005, pulled a Savage and Elizabeth, sold them together I think for about $125.

I bought a Rock and Owen Hart Comic Imagez autos in 1998, sold them in 2007 for about $40-50 each.

I also remember around 2005 you could buy all the Austin Fleer autos you wanted for $20 each.
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I'd add the 1991 Imagine Wrestling Legends autograph cards to the list (1st autograph cards). Most specifically, the Lou Thesz auto card.
I've only become aware of that set's existence (bare with me, I was born in 1991, ironically enough) and haven't been able to find that Thesz card at all. That'd have to be worth some big bucks, would it not?
wakigatame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #58 (permalink)

Here's a nice write-up about the set from a couple years ago:

J\/\/s Wrestling Memorabilia: The Most Underrated Wrestling Cards Of All-Time?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #59 (permalink)

Another card that is rare and her only auto is the Stephanie McMahon Fleer auto..
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #60 (permalink)

NewAgeHardcore,

I wish I would have known you a few years ago. I am always late to the party, it appears.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #61 (permalink)

Here are the 1974 yamakatsu cards slabbed. Bgs got the date wrong but agreed to correct it.

Got the cards today. Happy to see them slabbed but going to send the wrestling back to get the date corrected to 1974. I think the only thing holding these cards back is lack of awareness.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #62 (permalink)

Great Andre cards!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #63 (permalink)

it is amazing to see wrestling cards finally start to gain steam. People are starting to realize in the 80's and 90's grown ups were hoarding baseball/football/basketball cards, thats why you can find thousands of them in GEM shape now. Kids collected wrestling cards in the 80's and 90's (like myself) and most of them were tossed out by my mom. Finding those cards in gem shape (91,92 Merlin ect.) is almost impossible.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #64 (permalink)

Default 1991 Imagine Wrestling

Here's some of the 1991 Imagine cards I have if anyone wants to know what they look like. I wish I had more. I think they are way undervalued relative to the guys who are alive and will sign in a lot of future sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Top 5 Wrestling cards ever issued?-autos-1280x960-.jpg  
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #65 (permalink)

I was unaware of the existence of those 1991 autographs. Those are awesome.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #66 (permalink)

For the few guys that auto'd for imagine, how does one distinguish between one of the imagine wrestling cards autographed with the set and one autographed after the fact--Is there some sort of marking on the back indicating a certified autograph?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
For the few guys that auto'd for imagine, how does one distinguish between one of the imagine wrestling cards autographed with the set and one autographed after the fact--Is there some sort of marking on the back indicating a certified autograph?
The autograph cards have gold foil on the fronts. You can also tell by the card #'s.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #68 (permalink)

I'm with Dpeck on this one.
TOP 5
1. 1982 Wrestling All Stars Andre the Giant psa 9
2. 1982 wrestling all stars Hulk Hogan psa 9
3. 1982 wrestling all stars Bruiser Brody psa 10 pop 1
4. 1982 wrestling all stars rick martel pas 9 pop 1
5. 1983 wrestling all stars austin idol psa 10 pop 1
BROKENSOUL6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #69 (permalink)

I will say there will never be another PSA 10 Austin Idol.

That card is insane and your example is perfect. It is a true Gem.
dpeck100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #70 (permalink)

You are a complete tool and deserve the miserable life you must live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI44 View Post
Yeah... it's been manipulated by outside dealers foolishly buying up stock and jacking up the prices.

Sports card dealers that have no clue about wrestling, decide to get into wrestling cards. They'll go and buy up a $50 card (that may not have even been worth $50 in the first place) and try to reprice it for $150.... just because they have the money to waste and stupidity to try it.

It's climbed and climbed to the point where you now see $200-$300 wrestling cards glued to eBay store pages that never sell. They turn over every month eating up fees like a vacuum cleaner.

If they knew anything about wrestling, they would have known that they were never going to be worth that.

The prices that the public (real fans) are truly willing to pay, realistically hasn't changed much. Just clueless hands entered the hobby a few years ago and started playing games by creating a false value that will (and has already started) to bust.

They are eating it in fees from the inflated listings that don't sell.
And eventually that stock will be liquidated and we'll see what it's truly worth again on open auction down the road. A fraction.

Wrestling fans in general, are not big spenders. $25.00 for a new hat is pushing it. Wrestling does not attract a higher end market that sports cards or UFC does. Wrestling booms once a year at WrestleMania. They will drop bigger money during that weekend. That's about it. The average fan with lower to middle class income is not going to spend 2-$300 on a single wrestling card, no matter how rare or who it is. They simply don't have it.

Not to mention the other factor that most wrestling names fade into obscurity and often lose credibility from the performers getting into drugs, doing crazy things, or whatnot. Their names are usually dragged through the mud and seen passed out at local gym shows. These names simply hold no value or recognition long term. It's not a sport. There are no real records or statistics. Therefore, the value is all built on a fantasy. If that fantasy is shattered... the value is shattered. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #71 (permalink)

One assh@@les opinion does not make truth. Get fd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI44 View Post
So basically, you are angry because someone told the truth.
Got it.

Listen, it's not my fault.

I'm sorry it makes you upset to know that you have dropped money into a deluded phony market.

I can see from your feedback you've spent hundreds of dollars on wrestling patch pieces. If you want to believe that your precious $4.00 Chris Benoit card (of a child murderer) is ever going to be worth big dollars, be my guest.

But if you ever want to live in reality, I'll be here to gladly refute your points (or rather lack of any point provided in that so well thought out response).
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #72 (permalink)

I know plenty of fans who will spend more than 200 to 300 on a single wrestling card. I have sold them into the thousands before and 2 of them were this week alone. Dont act like you know the market when you do not. Dont judge wrestling fans by saying they have no money. Some of the most expensive cards I have sold out of any sport were wrestling cards.
geoffyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #73 (permalink)

I don't collect the WCW auto's but I just saw a Hollywood Hulk Hogan signed version sell for $800 within less then 24 hours of being listed.

There are definitely some wrestling cards that are in true high demand.

So RBI. I guess you think these cards are worthless.

dpeck100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #74 (permalink)

I could pay 3 grand for 3 cards dpeck posted and easily double my money on them. Your comments aren't supported by any market data. In fact the market data actually disproves your theory.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #75 (permalink)

RBI clearly has no experience dealing/Collecting wrestling cards. He is going from his opinion alone. Some people just hate pro wrestling because it is a show and you can't hit a home run, not knocking baseball but if you are not at a game it is boring to watch on TV, unless its a game 7 of the WS, if you don't believe me look up the ratings. man I went down a long rabbit hole lol.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote