Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #101 (permalink)

Since we are all posting where we stand on all of this I will post my opinion. I love that the market for wrestling cards has really taken off in certain areas. More collectors means more product being made. Here is where I stand on older stuff in wrestling. I have never really been a huge fan of graded cards. Its awesome if your card is gem mint or mint and it makes it that much more appealing for you. I do not want to rely on a grade, however, to be the several hundred and maybe even thousand dollar difference in value from mine to the next guys' card. When it comes down to it as long as a card is nearmint or better that is all I care about. I don't need a grade on the card. Just my 2 cents
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #102 (permalink)

I'd have an easier time accepting (to a point) the difference in grading price points if I believed all cards were graded the same (or in PSA's case also stayed the same grade in their crappy holders). I've seen PSA 9's and PSA 10's that look like 7 or 8's (at best) far too many times to pay that type of a premium without seeing the card in person. Grading was another scam that overtook the hobby. Instead of standardizing grading, it's just created a highly subjective, borderline phony one where people began to pay more for a number than a card.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #103 (permalink)

I rarely buy graded cards. When I do, it is usually for the sake of authenticity (for example1933 Sportkings Londos).

I do understand the premium prices a PSA 9 or 10 can fetch for some of the vintage sets, such as the 82/83 Wrestling All Stars, since the population of those cards are insanely low compared to other sports.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #104 (permalink)

I need your guys opinion as you are almost all more knowledgeable than me on wrestling cards and grading is something I have never done and is foreign to me. The wrestling card market is fairly knew to me. Other than the Leaf Originals which I jumped all over and would be willing to argue with anyone that I have the best set in the world. 354 total, 20 blacks, etc... (I actually would love to see the other collections that compare as I would find it really cool) but other than those my wrestling collection is limited. What I do own though are ungraded complete sets of the 1982 and 1983 All Stars and I also have a sealed set of the 83s.

Where I would like your opinions is here, please grade these for me, I would appreciate any honest feedback. If I know what these would grade it would make me more confident on sending some of mine in. My scanner doesn't do it any justice as it seems to make it look like there are print spots which you can't see with the naked eye. It's probably hard to tell based off a scanner photo, but any opinions would be appreciated:

ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #105 (permalink)

It is really tough to tell a cards true grade from a scan. A lot of times you can't see small issues to corners and you rarely can pick up surface issues like a wrinkle that will kill the grade.

The card on the left will grade no higher then a PSA 8 due to the top to bottom centering. If there is the slightest issue with any of the corners and they do not come to a razor sharp point it will grade Near Mint PSA 7.

The second card has awesome centering and could grade Mint if it is as sharp in hand as it is in the scan. The Jake Roberts card is not a super condition sensitive card and is not one of the tougher cards to find in strong condition.

One of the toughest things about chasing high grade cards is a card can be perfect but have a small issue that lowers the grade.

This card would be Gem Mint but it has a slight little line that runs over the upper right hand corner. It has everything going for it but it doesn't matter.

The front of this card is Mint. It has tremendous eye appeal.

Unfortunately when you check out the back you will see a small issue with the lower right hand edge.

When I get a card graded the number one thing I think of is do I have a chance to recover my grading fee. One of the primary reasons I do not send in more cards from the OPC Series II set is that if they come back a PSA 8 I lose. They literally have to be Mint or higher to win. Anything that appears even border line is still sitting in a card saver.

With the Wrestling All Stars you have a strong chance of recouping your grading fee if the card grades an 8 and you most certainly will if it grades higher. What I mean by this is the raw value plus the fee. I am much more willing to gamble on a border line card when this is the case as all it takes is a few hits and you win.

Good luck if you decide to get any of them graded.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #106 (permalink)

How much do the inherent print flaws that show up on some of the Wrestling All Star cards affect grading?

for example the discolored round areas on the Hulk Hogans, or the green streaks that show up on fabulous Moolah cards, or the tiny white circles that show up randomly. they aren't really damage or qualifiers, but do have affect on value
Old 05-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #107 (permalink)

The green streaks on the Moolah is the primary reason there has never been a PSA 9 Mint surface.

I have the only PSA 9 PD and it has the streak but it is the large one. You can still get a PSA 8 with the small streak if it is mint otherwise.

The Hogan is plagued by the dot next to his head and the white discoloration on the right hand border. I think it really just depends on the card and how nice it is otherwise. There is a PSA 9 that was graded a long time ago with the dot next to the head. I don't think they would award this card the same today. BGS has no problem with it.

In terms of the print dots once again it just depends on how severe they are. The yellow cards from the 83 set have tons of the little white circles on them and if it is very faint it won't hurt the grade. Once you get into a card with a lot of them it will lower it several grades.

Here is an example of one of the yellow cards that has a very small amount of the little circles on it. Most have a lot.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #108 (permalink)

So print dots affect grade but rough cut does not??? Wheres the consistency in that?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #109 (permalink)

Go look up some older hockey cards made by OPC. Then make a comment.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #110 (permalink)

That really doesnt answer the question or justify it.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #111 (permalink)

Print dots come from the factory as the card was printed and really are part of the card.

If Topps and OPC used different types of blades when they cut the cards you get different outcomes.

I personally do not like the cut at all. It bothers me like it does you. That being said PSA realizes how these were cut and makes room for that.

In the OPC world of Hockey they prefer the rough cut so they know it was not cut from a sheet. Sharp OPC cards like this in many cases sell for much less. By this time I think OPC had better cutting results and less of the rough cuts but clearly they still existed.

PSA just sees them as two different issues.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #112 (permalink)

I thought I would resurrect this thread.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars #2 Hulk Hogan has to be in the top five of any list.

How you rank them is easily debatable but the Hogan must be on the list.

My vote remains for it to be #1.

Last edited by dpeck100; 06-02-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I thought I would resurrect this thread.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars #2 Hulk Hogan has to be in the top five of any list.

How you rank them is easily debatable but the Hogan must be on the list.

My vote remains for it to be #1.
Rarity and price aside, I think it is probably the most iconic wrestling card.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #114 (permalink)

I agree that the 82 hogan has to be in the top 5 if not # 1. If more 81 Popy cards become available then that card might climb on the list but no set will be as popular as the 82 all stars
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #115 (permalink)

My top 5 would be

5) 1985 OPC macho man randy savage - card is very condition sensitive and one of the biggest names in the wwf

4) 1974 Yamakatsu Andre the Giant # 29 - the first pack issued card of Andre on normal card stock and in color. The picture on the card is a cool image of Andre and the card was extremely difficult to find. More have surfaced recently but the card is still rare.

3) 1981 Popy Hulk Hogan - it's the first card of the biggest name in the sport. It is extremely rare. The card is packaged with figures similar to starting line ups.

2) 1985 Topps # 1 Hulk Hogan - the card is not rare but it is the most iconic card IMO. It was the only wrestling card that made it into a hard plastic and kept with my other valuables like Bo Jackson and jose Canseco rookies.

1) 1982 all stars hulk hogan - this is the 52 topps mantle or 86 fleer Jordan of wrestling cards. It's the most iconic card in the most iconic set IMO
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #116 (permalink)

Funny this thread is resurrected when a All-Stars Hogan PSA 9 hits ebay.....................

Coincidence?? I think not.................lol
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootan View Post
Funny this thread is resurrected when a All-Stars Hogan PSA 9 hits ebay.....................

As if that is my card. No I still have my three PSA 9's.

The fact that there is one up is what prompted me to bump it for sure.

It was a good thread and worthy of continued to discussion.

By the way your beloved BGS lost more market share. PSA is up to over 90% now of all cards being submitted.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #118 (permalink)

WWE WWF Wrestling The Hurricane 2002 Fleer All Access Authentic Mask Relic Card | eBay

I have had this on my watch list for ages. It finally sold for $750.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #119 (permalink)

That card took forever to sell. In auction setting I see it bringing 300 to 400 max.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
WWE WWF Wrestling The Hurricane 2002 Fleer All Access Authentic Mask Relic Card | eBay

I have had this on my watch list for ages. It finally sold for $750.
What is the story with that card--why only 12 made? Purposeful chase card?

BTW, does anyone think a card such as the 1987 NWA Wonderama Test Sting #17 or the 1986 Carnation Road Warriors deserves consideration for a Top 5 to 10 list?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
What is the story with that card--why only 12 made? Purposeful chase card?

Did the Hurricane card come out of packs, or was it part of the Fleer Liquidation?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
As if that is my card. No I still have my three PSA 9's.

The fact that there is one up is what prompted me to bump it for sure.

It was a good thread and worthy of continued to discussion.

By the way your beloved BGS lost more market share. PSA is up to over 90% now of all cards being submitted.

Still got the lube and tissues out????

Thank god PSA grades newpaper clippings, cereal boxes, and any sort of autograph by just looking at it.................lol
Old 06-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Still got the lube and tissues out????

Thank god PSA grades newpaper clippings, cereal boxes, and any sort of autograph by just looking at it.................lol

Yep.

I am glad I chose to go with PSA years ago. It was a good move for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 AM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:

Not everything is a conspiracy....DPeck knows the market and brought attention to the card because he knew it would do well and it did by bringing a total of $2,850 at auction. DPeck does not auction off his best material...........
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardki View Post
Not everything is a conspiracy....DPeck knows the market and brought attention to the card because he knew it would do well and it did by bringing a total of $2,850 at auction. DPeck does not auction off his best material...........
No he keeps the best and pimps the left overs, this discussion has already been had, and apparently we are in agreement.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote