Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Top 5 Wrestling cards ever issued?

The post regarding "your" top 5 wrestling autos got me thinking--while we have all seen top 5 or 10 lists in various baseball/football/basketball publications over the years, I would like to get an idea of what wrestling cards would occupy such a list. Would like to hear everyone's objective opinion (if possible) on this topic.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm very interested in this topic booya, but I don't have the knowledge to post this objectively.

I'm sure the correct answer is some of those 1982 rookies, maybe some cards out of that 1985 WWF set, and then a whole bunch of the vintage classic stuff.

My favorites would not be on this list!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

This gets my vote. Rumored to be 12 in existence and in 10+ years, I've only ever seen two (unlike the Farooq knee brace... only 8, yet I see them for sale often).
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

I actually have 3 of each..........theyre pretty common I think.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm a little partial to my 1 of 1.

CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Making a list of just five cards is tough. There are really just a few sets of wrestling cards that matter. Naturally the Wrestling All Stars should dominate any list but you also have to consider some of the WCW/NWO auto's for that list. The other element is grading. Some cards sell for dramatically more because of condition sensitivity vs. rarity of the card itself or popularity.

We can debate slots two through five but there is no debating which card tops the list.

Here is arguably the best Hulk Hogan that has surfaced.

dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

actually the faarooq knee brace was pretty much the only one offered for sale in the past few years. It just never sold until I got it off the guy.
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think I would put any of the 1982 cards on the list for the fact that the only ones people want are the graded ones. they were not issued graded so i would leave them off
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

The notion that people only want the Wrestling All Stars cards that are graded is simply crazy. I have bought nearly 2000 raw cards personally.

I guess you have never seen a sealed set of 82A or 82B sell. There are recorded sales of $1,700+ for a sealed 82A.

Anytime a strong raw example of any of the major stars hits EBAY there is significant interest. It may be true that most of these buyers are hoping to get them graded but the lack of third party grading is not stopping anyone from buying them.

The Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Andre The Giant cards are easily in the top 10 of any cards issued from the 80's and the only other base card that sells for more then Hogan in raw condition is the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan. I would say that puts it in rare company.

There is no doubt the grading element can add to the final selling price but try finding many raw cards from any sport that can command what these three do.

There may be a small niche group of people who want to own that Shayne Helms card but trust me there is 100 times as many who would rather own a nice Hogan.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

In an attempt to get the conversation started, and in the most objective way possible, I think a list would have to include, at a minimum, the following:

1) 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Hogan
2) 1985 Topps WWF Hogan #1--I know its not a valuable card, but it is highly recognizable with the golden age and probably was many people's entry point into the wrestling card market
3) Undertaker War Booty autograph
4) 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Andre the Giant
5) WCW Hogan Ringside Relic--to my knowledge, the first relic card produced in the genre
Honorable Mention 6) HHH off the mat autograph

Its hard to name a top 5, and I would imagine that there are some WCW autos that probably should grace this listing, along with perhaps something older such as the Flair Carnation Wrestling or maybe one of the autos out of the Wrestling Legends 1991 set. As an initial reaction, I would want to put the Hogan WCW autograph on here (or maybe the Sting), due to their importance during the Monday Night Wars, but I think people more knowledgeable of the subject should comment.

Last edited by booyahlaw; 01-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.
booyahlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

dpeck100 is the man when it comes to wrestling cards. I salivate every time you show your collection on the psa forums. I am very partial to your Kerry Von Erich card since he was my favorite wrestler growing up.
saynotomeshhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
trust me there is 100 times as many who would rather own a nice Hogan.
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but whenever someone says "Trust Me" followed by a completely rhetorical statistic, I just can't trust them.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

The 1982 Hulk Hogan really isn't rare. It is just a condition sensitive card that collectors gravitate to due to rookie card hype. I'd rather spend my money on a hundred other historically important and/or scarce cards, both vintage and modern.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan is not a rare card you say.

There have been 52 examples graded by PSA and 13,292 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan's. Obviously with BGS grading both cards that number goes up some for the Hogan and a lot for the Jordan.

If this is not rare then I do not know what is. Basing rarity on some man made 1/1 or 1/10 is a mistake. Those cards are rare on purpose. There are a few exceptions to this rule but not many long term.

The Hulk Hogan card is rare for a number of reasons but most importantly they did not make very many and of those produced a number did not survive.

There is 0.039% of Hulk Hogan's to Michael Jordan's with PSA or 255 times as many however you choose to look at it. If there was as many Hulk Hogan's in circulation the price would be a fraction of what it is. There are not so the price stays high.

Last edited by dpeck100; 01-08-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

If we want to include man made rarities in the discussion which they certainly should be then we should include low population graded cards.

For example, this is perhaps the most condition sensitive card from all three sets of the Wrestling All Stars. The Rick Martel like the Andre The Giant is the top card from the second set and there is only one PSA 8 and one PSA 9.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Andre The Giant PSA 9 has to be on a graded card list.

The first card in the 1983 set is the Superstar Graham card. This is a Pop 2 and extremely condition sensitive card.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Ric Flair card has to be considered and here is one of my PSA 10's.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Kerry Von Erich could be on some lists due to popularity and scarcity. This is a Pop 2 with no PSA 10's and by far one of my favorite cards.

The Carnation Wrestling cards are the most rare set from the 1980's and months can go by without a single card hitting EBAY. The Ric Flair is a major card.

Last edited by dpeck100; 01-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Personally, I don't see how anyone could not draw a comparison to the 1982 Wrestling All Stars set and 1952 Topps Baseball--both seem like keystone sets in their respective sports. I also can draw a comparison between the iconic nature of the WAS Hogan and the '52 Topps Mantle--the cards are not necessarily important because they are the most valuable cards in the sport (b/c clearly, neither one are) but both sets, and cards, represent a set before the card "boom" and before either superstar was who they ultimately would become in the American zeitgeist.

I think a top 5 devoid of, at a minimum, the 82 Hogan would be flawed.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Booyah I view the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A as the 1952 Topps set of wrestling cards. They are the landmark set and Hulk Hogan is the largest star ever in professional wrestling.

The set features a photo that was taken of Hulk in either late 1979 or early 1980 and he was by no means a huge star yet and this in my opinion adds to the appeal.

I obviously agree you just have to include that card in any real top 5 list.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

The 1955 Parkhurst Bronko Nagurski could certainly be considered for the list.

I did a search for recent sales on EBAY and The Undertaker mentioned above sold for $400 so that is certainly an important card.

While I personally have no real interest in the paper cards the 1973 Andre The Giant has commanded strong prices on a handful of occasions.

The WCW/NWO Hulk Hogan autograph is very popular and brings very strong prices. There are others from the set such as the Ric Flair that I have read have sold for big money.

The 1985 Topps Hulk Hogan is a card that certainly could be included on someone's list as it is the card that everyone who grew up in the 1980's remembers. That is the card I searched for in 2009 that made me aware of the 1982 Wrestling All Stars.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan is not a rare card you say.

There have been 52 examples graded by PSA and 13,292 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan's. Obviously with BGS grading both cards that number goes up some for the Hogan and a lot for the Jordan.

If this is not rare then I do not know what is. Basing rarity on some man made 1/1 or 1/10 is a mistake. Those cards are rare on purpose. There are a few exceptions to this rule but not many long term.

The Hulk Hogan card is rare for a number of reasons but most importantly they did not make very many and of those produced a number did not survive.

There is 0.039% of Hulk Hogan's to Michael Jordan's with PSA or 255 times as many however you choose to look at it. If there was as many Hulk Hogan's in circulation the price would be a fraction of what it is. There are not so the price stays high.
1986 Fleer Michael Jordan is far from rare.

I consider the 1982 Hogan scarce, not rare. The card has been listed constantly on ebay for the last 12+ years. If you want one, you can easily find one.

I'm not judging demand or market value, or even historical significance.

A rare card is a Goodwin Muldoon, a Spalding Zybysko, or a Parkhurst Nagurski. Look those up on the population charts.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

I looked up the definition of scarce and I think that is a fair assessment. Rare is even more limited then scarce and clearly the three cards mentioned would fit that bill.

The prevailing issue though is demand. If there is 10 of something and 20 buyers per say vs. 2,000 of something and 10,000 buyers you can get drastically different outcomes. It would be impossible to know the size of the market for older wrestling cards but it is fair to say there is a lot more interest in terms of the number of participants in the more modern cards and thus the market can adsorb a great deal more cards and still maintain a high price.

Obviously the older cards have a lower print run and an even lower number that have remained and I think there are many that are very cool. Rob the Wrestling Card King is active in the Parkhurst sets and those are the most condition sensitive wrestling cards I have ever seen. There are some awesome cards in those sets. The Chrusher Reggie Lisowski, Lou Thesz, Georgous George and many others.

If you really want to go back then of course the Frank Gotch cards and Strangler Lewis are important and issues like the Sport Kings featured wrestlers too.

I think it really depends on what you collect in how you view this list and this will cause you to vote in that direction so finding a reasonable consensus on the list is going to be tough.

Last edited by dpeck100; 01-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

DPeck--I had considered the 1973 Andre as part of my list, but thought the 1982 would be more significant given the set its from (plus, I look at the 1973 as more of a strip card and not part of a regular issue).

I agree with what all above have said regarding the Parkhursts and Sport Kings cards--its hard to be objective regarding placement on a list, but it sounds like some good ideas have been offered about which cards would be considered for a Top 10 to 25 listing (Top 5 may be an exercise of pure subjectivity).

Last edited by booyahlaw; 01-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.
booyahlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think a top 5 is really tough as I have said.

Lets expand the discussion to the top 25 so a lot more cards can be mentioned and considered.

There are a lot of great cards in this segment of the trading card world.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

The paper cards are cool for significance perhaps but to a card collector in many cases these fall short. They are pieces of newspaper cut out and that is it. There are great pictures and they do look cool graded but I am interested in cards on traditional card stock.

The 1982 Wrestling All Stars Andre The Giant to me is the card to own of his and should be the one used in top priority for all of his cards.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

A Top 25 list should consider the following factors:

-Historical significance
-Overall rarity
-Market value

The above factors do not alway fit together well.

In terms of sets (not individual cards!), I would suggest the following sets for starters: (not in any order!!!)

1949 Topps Magic Photo
1954 Parkhurst
1955 Parhurst
1966 Somportex
1972, 1978, 1981 Magazine sets
1982/1983 Wrestling All Stars sets
1985 Topps
1999 WCW/nWo Signature Series auto cards
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectorMan View Post
I'm a little partial to my 1 of 1.

I wouldn't consider a TriStar wrestling card in the Top 50, much less Top 5. How many 1/1's did they make of Hogan? 75? 80? TriStar absolutely saturated the market for Hogan.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote