Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Card Singles

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Wrestling News May 1st, 1982 Super Dome Extravaganza Program....

The Wrestling All Stars were produced and sold by the company who published the magazines and programs for so many huge wrestling events.

This is a really cool program from a huge show in the Super Dome from 1982 and when The Junkyard Dog was the top guy in that territory.

I like to collect the photos used for the trading cards and this cover features both the Junkyard Dog and Ernie Ladd's photo that was used for their card.

It was a pleasant surprise to find this order form for the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A. They showcased major stars that were working the events.

dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thats an awesome program
ldsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool stuff.

What were the matches that night in Superdome.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sweet. Only $5 per set, postage paid!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

May 1981 Wrestling News has the Hogan Hogan picture
Attached Thumbnails
The Wrestling News May 1st, 1982 Super Dome Extravaganza Program....-may81.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

The card was as follows:

The Junkyard Dog and Mr. Olympia VS. The Samoans, this was a lights out match with no DQ

Paul Orndorff VS. Bob Roop for the North American Heavyweight Championship

Andre The Giant and Dick Murdoch VS. The One Man Gang and Harley Race

Ernie Ladd VS. The Assassin

Ted Dibiase VS. Tully Blanchard

Cocoa Samoa VS. The Grappler

Iron Mike Sharpe VS. Ron Cheetham

Jesse Barr VS. Buddy Landel
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes it is wild that in the early 80's you could not give these sets away.

Here is my favorite magazine. This features Andre The Giant with his only title ever and is indeed the photo used for his legendary card. I looked for quite sometime for this to try and match up the photo and finally found it and was able to purchase a copy.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here are a few more magazines that match up to the cards.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know it's only my opinion, but I'd bet they sold loads of the sets in the early 80's.

I'd also bet not many of those early sets survived. Wish they gave production #'s, but it really doesn't matter.

I would really love to have one on the original envelopes that the cards were mailed in.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

The sets did not sell well at all.

The only sealed 1982 A set I have ever purchased came from an EBAY seller by the name of Jerome. He had purchased a number of sets in 1982 from a friend who worked for Pro Wrestling Enterprises as he too lived in Minnetonnka, Minnesota. He thought they would be a hot item and displayed them at shows. He listed them for $10 a set and sold none and finally gave up after the low ball offers and ridicule. He put the sets away for over 27 years and finally pulled them out in 2009 and 2010. The set I purchased from him was his last one and I paid double what his previous sets were selling for and it cost $400. It turned out to be a tremendous buy and yielded the first cards I had ever sent in for grading.

The primary reason there are so many 1983 sets sealed is that once Vince McMahon Jr. took over the World Wide Wrestling Federation he would no longer allow Norman Keitzer to use images of WWF wrestlers in any of the magazines and ended the long relationship with PWE who made programs like the one shown for all of the major wrestling organizations. This cut the distribution of their magazines and programs dramatically and inevitably hurt sales of the cards and their overall business.

There is no doubt that a large number of cards were either thrown out or damaged over the years but what is going to prove to be very interesting is to see what happens to the population reports in the next few years. There was a surge in the number of sealed sets that hit EBAY in the early to mid part of 2012 and there was a large percentage increase in the number of cards graded. The 1983 set saw significant spikes in mint or better cards for a number of the wrestlers but what has proven to be difficult is the 1982 sets.

The 1982 sets still remain extremely difficult for many of the wrestlers in high grade and after surviving the onslaught of new cards graded this proves they are indeed extremely difficult in high grade.

If the next several years do not produce a large increase in high grade material then there will be no doubt that much of the strong condition cards from these sets have been graded. I think that is the case. Time will tell.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sealed sets were relatively common of between 1999-2001. Collectors were turned off by the extra width of the cards. I remember people trimming them so they would fit penny sleves. I can remember when prices were something like $50/$25/$15 for the sets. Around 2004, I bought 13 sealed 1983 sets for $5 each. After that they started to become scarce.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

All valuable cards started with very low starting prices.

A pack of 1986 Fleer Basketball started at $0.45 in Orlando and sat next to the baseball packs at $0.50 and still didn't sell.

Today a baseball pack is lucky to sell at a box rate of $0.50 per pack.

The basketball on the other hand if authenticated can sell for $350 to $400 a pack.

It is true these cards were left for dead but once the public became more aware of them things changed.

I don't really know what the future holds for the Wrestling All Stars but one thing I have said all along was once they spiked they were not coming back to where they came from and that has held true and then some.

This set of cards chronicles an amazing era of wrestling and features cards before the professional wrestling business launched in popularity into the stratosphere.

There will never be another set of wrestling cards like the Wrestling All Stars.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

1982 Wrestling All Stars=1952 Topps Baseball . . . nuff said