Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Anybody know if PSA grades Leaf Wrestling?

In dpecks thread on his BGS Sportkings wrestling cards. He mentions PSA wouldn't grade them. Wonder if that holds true for PSA and Leaf Wrestling cards.

I haven't seen any PSA graded ones on Ebay.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

It looks like PSA hasn't graded any, yet.

I don't understand why they wouldn't them.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #28 (permalink)

PSA doesn't do autograph grading, right? I think people like getting BGS to tell you how good the autograph is.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

PSA will grade an in-person signed card in a DNA slab.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

PSA definitely authenticates and grades autographs on cards.

Here is a BGS 9 I cracked out and got signed.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post

PSA definitely authenticates and grades autographs on cards.

Here is a BGS 9 I cracked out and got signed.
Seriously.... who are you - did you just scoop up every good wrestling card? Every thread I see there is some sort of hypothetical situation to which you respond "You mean like this?"

You sir (or madam) have one hell of a collection.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Namttip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #32 (permalink)

I am Dpeck100.

If you collect or sell high end wrestling cards you know who I am.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I am Dpeck100.

Great response.... but WHO are you...
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

The Undisputed Champ of the Wrestling All-Star Challenge
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I am Dpeck100.

Quote:
I understand it's hard to be humble, but at least you're modest.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #36 (permalink)

Always love dpeck posts. Cool that he started posting on this site. Great insight to 1980's wrestling cards....
That Hulk is sweet. Leaf needs to do some sort buy back of those and have them signed and put in Leafs next wrestling set. Dpeck you and Leaf need to have a meeting.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #37 (permalink)

Pnft17 I am glad you like my posts and I appreciate the feedback.

I certainly have purchased my fair share of wrestling cards.

Offering chase cards like that in a wrestling set could certainly drive sales and is a great idea.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I've know people that can top... but you maybe the first that keeps topping themselves

I was under the impression that I could take you - however now I have reconsidered from the pic.

Quote:
Pnft17 I am glad you like my posts and I appreciate the feedback.

I certainly have purchased my fair share of wrestling cards.

Offering chase cards like that in a wrestling set could certainly drive sales and is a great idea.
Why don't you just offer your own sets and packs... BTW I get 8% for coming up with the idea....
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #39 (permalink)

The article was written in April of 2011 so a lot has changed since then.

There has been a huge increase in the number of wrestling cards graded since the article was written and what still remains true is that there has been no real major advancement in the number of high grade cards from the 1982 sets. The population has increased but they still remain extremly tough in PSA 9 or PSA 10.

The 1983 set is a completely different story with quite a few nice cards surfacing from the sealed sets that were floating around.

I have increased my holdings in the Wrestling All Stars a great deal since then and now from time to time I list some on EBAY but I have never sold very many. I am up to somewhere close to 2500 cards from the three sets.

I am not certain what you mean by you thought you could take me.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not certain what you mean by you thought you could take me.
In the squared circle... I by no means meant I could take you in putting together a better set...

As for you collection I have much respect for anyone who commits to excellence as you have in acquiring your high end collection. It truly takes dedication and a lot of research to be able to amass what you have so far without having a blank check (which you could - but seems you are very diligent in your purchases).

Have you every given the back story on why you chose to collect what you collect? I haven't read the article entirely yet, so if it's in there I'll get to it.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #41 (permalink)

Well if you are a trained wrestler maybe you can take me.

Learn how to crack open a BGS graded card. - YouTube

This will give you a little better idea of what you are dealing with. LOL

If you ever wanted to learn to crack cards out of BGS holders this is in my opinion the best way.

I actually stumbled upon the Wrestling All Stars in September of 2009. I had been telling people that Brock Lesnar might be coming to the UFC and that he was a beast and would hurt some people if he wanted to. I was not active in buying cards anymore and had collected baseball cards for many years prior. I purchased a few of his wrestling and football cards and then decided to do a search for Hulk Hogan as I remembered he had a 1985 Topps card from when I was a kid.

I found a set of the 1982 Series A and B and thought they looked really cool. After a few weeks of the guy lowering the price I finally bid on them and was the only person to bid. The auctions only showed the Hulk Hogan, Jerry Lawler, Iron Sheik, Tito Santana and Sergeant Slaughter cards that were graded and to my suprise when I got them there were a ton of stars in the sets. I had no clue what to expect other then those five cards. The second I saw them I said these could be huge. I started buying up tons of the cards and then some dealers started getting cards graded and I began to buy those too.

I quickly became interested in wrestling cards and set out on a mission to buy all of the sets from the 70's and 80's and quickly realized that the Wrestling All Stars was the set that had the most potential and focused the vast majority of my efforts on those.

In 2010 I signed up for PSA and started getting my own cards graded and decided to put together the sets in graded form and to try and put together the best.

To this day I spend a lot of free time focusing on wrestling cards and it has been a lot of fun and something I am very passionate about.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Well if you are a trained wrestler maybe you can take me.

Learn how to crack open a BGS graded card. - YouTube
Two things that have me maybe considering my challenge - first I expected you to just break one in half with your hands... disappointing...

Second from the background I think I can catch you in a state that you wouldn't see me coming

Quote:
I actually stumbled upon the Wrestling All Stars in September of 2009. I had been telling people that Brock Lesnar might be coming to the UFC and that he was a beast and would hurt some people if he wanted to.
Interesting take - in the benefited from the wrestling thread I tossed Lesnar around to be put on the list. I thought he would have been a bigger start in UFC and had a lot of friends that said he would never be anything in UFC (which is still somewhat debatable).

Read the article... great read, thanks for the link. Very interesting that the top three they picked was the Rhodes...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #43 (permalink)

PSA does not assign numerical grades to autographs though, correct? I figure this is why people want them in a BGS slab.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
PSA does not assign numerical grades to autographs though, correct? I figure this is why people want them in a BGS slab.
Yes, they do.

For example, here's the 1982 Wrestling All Stars

1982 Wrestling All-Stars Series A

Scroll to the bottom for the auto'd card section.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Yes, they do.

For example, here's the 1982 Wrestling All Stars

1982 Wrestling All-Stars Series A

Scroll to the bottom for the auto'd card section.
So what is the grade of this card:

Hulk Hogan Signed 1982 Wrestling All Stars 2 PSA DNA WWF WWE Series A Autograph | eBay
Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #46 (permalink)

Good to know, been awhile since I have graded anything, especially something with an autograph on it.

Question to the seasoned graders of new stuff around here: what's the draw to BGS over PSA--is it purely aesthetic, or are they better graders on the new stuff?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
See section: No Grade Definitions

PSA Grading Standards

N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
See section: No Grade Definitions

PSA Grading Standards

N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.
I knew all this.

What I don't know anything about, (because I have never seen one), is a graded card with an in-person auto on it.

Can you show me a picture of a PSA "graded" after-market autographed card?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #49 (permalink)

Here is an example of a PSA authenticated auto with a grade assigned to it.

If you want a certified auto graded for the card you have to go with a red flip. Here is an example.

In terms of the cards shown in the PSA article. I chose those. I showcased what I felt were some of the best cards and I needed an example from all three sets.

The Dusty Rhodes PSA 10 is one of my most valuable cards.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #50 (permalink)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170992645066?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D170992645066%26_rdc%3D1

Here you go.