Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 266
Default

What does a PSA 6 Flair normally go for? I cannot imagine the Flair autograph on a PSA 6 Flair really enhances the value that much--seems a little more like a "show-and-tell" listing by the King.
__________________
Collecting primarily pre-1980s non-sport, wrestling and regional issue basketball, baseball and football
http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r387/booyahlaw/
booyahlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post



PSA definitely authenticates and grades autographs on cards.

Here is a BGS 9 I cracked out and got signed.
Anyone have an opinion as to whether the printing blemish to the right of Hogan's head affects the card's grade with PSA? I have a Hogan with the same issue that I would like to send to PSA.
__________________
Collecting primarily pre-1980s non-sport, wrestling and regional issue basketball, baseball and football
http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r387/booyahlaw/
booyahlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Thanks, guys. I have never noticed a PSA grade on an in-person auto card before.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

These cards are tough to value signed and graded.

There really is not a market price because the supply is so low.

The Wrestlingcardking has done a great job of finding a tradeable value for his merchandise.

When there are so few to choose from sometimes you just have to hit the buy price.

A signed 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Ric Flair is a sweet card in any condition.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
These cards are tough to value signed and graded.

There really is not a market price because the supply is so low.

The Wrestlingcardking has done a great job of finding a tradeable value for his merchandise.

When there are so few to choose from sometimes you just have to hit the buy price.

A signed 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Ric Flair is a sweet card in any condition.
Sweet card--absolutely. $800 card--to someone, perhaps. However, with Flair being amongst the living and actively signing in a large amount these days, I just don't see the enhancement in value from the $100 a PSA 6 Flair normally would garner to $800. If we were talking another one of the long-deceased guys in the set, I would not even bring up this point.

Of course, value is subjective, so who knows.
__________________
Collecting primarily pre-1980s non-sport, wrestling and regional issue basketball, baseball and football
http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r387/booyahlaw/
booyahlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

I understand your comments about the price and feeling it is stretched.


That being said when you have oceanfront property you can always ask what you feel the property is worth and see if someone else agrees.

Finding a Ric Flair signed is not easy and his card has dried up.

They are showing up much less frequently and when they do they are either a tremendously over graded BGS 9.5 example or a pour condition copy at a high price.

A signed Ric Flair is a $300+ plus card in a holder all day and in decent condition much higher. They just are not out there right now and even with his signings you still are not seeing them show up.


Maybe one day they will but that day is not today.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
Krayzie83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
Good to know, been awhile since I have graded anything, especially something with an autograph on it.

Question to the seasoned graders of new stuff around here: what's the draw to BGS over PSA--is it purely aesthetic, or are they better graders on the new stuff?
For PSA the main draw is their Registry where you can compete for the coveted #1 spot in whatever category it is.. As for BGS I'd say the draw is their subgrades and superior protection to anything on the market. As far as looks, it's all personal preference and grading is very subjective.. I wouldn't say any grader is better then the other.
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Beckett is working on their new registry, and it should be done soon:

http://www.beckett.com/registry/
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
TheHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Beckett is working on their new registry, and it should be done soon:

http://www.beckett.com/registry/
I could not find any information but is the registry free?
__________________
48,230
Pending Deals:
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

PSA is king. They have 85% market share of all new cards submitted.



Ivan Koloff 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Card BGS 9 Mint Pop 3 NWA WWE PSA | eBay


This right here is an example of why the Wrestling All Stars sell for so much more in a PSA holder. This card would grade no higher then a PSA 7. It is not just driven by competition but people wanting to own a quality card.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
PSA is king.
This, of course, is a matter of opinion.

I would say it depends on the card(s) submitted.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

There was a time when BGS was winning the battle but that time has come and gone.

PSA is crushing BGS at this point. If you do a search for completed auctions under PSA or BGS you will find 82% are for PSA graded cards. Very close to the number I referenced.

The market has chosen PSA for 8.5 out of every 10 cards being sent into grading companies and that number may be higher at this point in PSA's favor.

These are just the facts and they suggest an overwhelming preference for PSA.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
There was a time when BGS was winning the battle but that time has come and gone.

PSA is crushing BGS at this point. If you do a search for completed auctions under PSA or BGS you will find 82% are for PSA graded cards. Very close to the number I referenced.

The market has chosen PSA for 8.5 out of every 10 cards being sent into grading companies and that number may be higher at this point in PSA's favor.

These are just the facts and they suggest an overwhelming preference for PSA.
Can you show me stats, (other than ebay completed listings), that show PSA having more "modern-day" cards being submitted than BGS?
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

The numbers I have used are for all card submissions.

I do not have any breakdown on percentages by year.

There are certainly segments of the card market where it is possible BGS is getting more then 15% of the submissions.

Some people prefer BGS, some prefer PSA and some prefer SGC.

That being said 85% prefer PSA.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
The numbers I have used are for all card submissions.

I do not have any breakdown on percentages by year.

There are certainly segments of the card market where it is possible BGS is getting more then 15% of the submissions.

Some people prefer BGS, some prefer PSA and some prefer SGC.

That being said 85% prefer PSA.
Like I said before, it depends on the card(s) being submitted.

For modern-day cards, "PSA being king" might not be accurate. I just looked through all completed auctions on ebay with an actual closing bid win from $5,000 on up, and the overwhelming majority of PSA cards are vintage, where an overwhelming majority of BGS cards are modern-day cards.

I am still of the opinion that BGS rules the modern-day card market while PSA still rules, (and always will), the vintage card market.

Vintage cards have been around longer than PSA. PSA has been around longer than BGS. It stands to reason that PSA would get more submissions than BGS. However, I believe BGS gets more modern-day card submissions than PSA. If anyone has any facts stating otherwise, I'd love to see them.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

I just ran a search and I think it is fair to say that BGS gets more very modern cards submitted to them.

The way I view life I will still say PSA is king. Perhaps the way another person views it they would say BGS is king.

At the end of the day one must decide what they like.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I just ran a search and I think it is fair to say that BGS gets more very modern cards submitted to them.

The way I view life I will still say PSA is king. Perhaps the way another person views it they would say BGS is king.

At the end of the day one must decide what they like.
I couldn't agree more.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
pnft17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
PSA is king. They have 85% market share of all new cards submitted.



Ivan Koloff 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A Card BGS 9 Mint Pop 3 NWA WWE PSA | eBay


This right here is an example of why the Wrestling All Stars sell for so much more in a PSA holder. This card would grade no higher then a PSA 7. It is not just driven by competition but people wanting to own a quality card.
Agreed, that Koloff is pretty bad for BGS 9. Reason why it sold so cheap. PSA 8 probably sells for a lot more than that BGS 9.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 960
Default

PSA wants to see a lower border on these.

This one has virtually none.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.