Blowout Cards Forums
Sport Card Album

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leaf 2012 Originals - Grading

Is it worth sending any in for grading - maybe the blacks or the reds? I have a Poffo black alternate, but the signature has a void in it.

Would 10s be needed in collections - I myself feel for the 1/1s the grade is what it is since it's a 1/1.

Thoughts?

-JKP
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Namttip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd be careful. All the cards are basically mint as issued in their holders, but if a grading company bumps down the grade of a card for any reason, it could tough recuperating your grading fees if reselling the card.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Depends on what you mean by worth it.. Long term preservation BGS is the way to go. These cards seem to grade very well so you're sure to see a premium in your sales should they land a gold label (which has been the case with most) but anything under that you may lose potential customers who aren't into graded cards. I myself have the 4 from my pc at bgs so it's worth it to me.
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie83 View Post
I myself have the 4 from my pc at bgs so it's worth it to me.
Which ones were they?
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I'd be careful. All the cards are basically mint as issued in their holders, but if a grading company bumps down the grade of a card for any reason, it could tough recuperating your grading fees if reselling the card.
Yeah that was my thought - I am sure the Poffo black that has a weird spot in the signature wouldn't grade as a 10 - so my thought is to not send it in, however it would just be nice to have a 10 set of the cards...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't bother with grading this set IMO. I can't see much added value.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namttip View Post
Which ones were they?
Mine haven't popped yet.. Eventually I plan on adding some more Hall's and a few others and shipping them out to get slabbed as well.

Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie83 View Post
Mine haven't popped yet.. Eventually I plan on adding some more Hall's and a few others and shipping them out to get slabbed as well.

Nice Halls...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
I wouldn't bother with grading this set IMO. I can't see much added value.
I agree. I don't really see the value in it, especially with the parallels that are already of low number.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

That's my thought also... I just don't have much experience in the parallel market and figured I would ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
I agree. I don't really see the value in it, especially with the parallels that are already of low number.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Looks like you can get a premium for 9's and 9.5 on Ebay. Cards look sweet in BGS cases. I hope more get graded. Would add a few to my collection of guys I like.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Shouldn't all these cards be coming back with those grades--they just came out of the box three months ago. I would be worried to submit them and the cards do not come back with that grade.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Shouldn't all these cards be coming back with those grades--they just came out of the box three months ago. I would be worried to submit them and the cards do not come back with that grade.
Quality is top notch on these cards of the one's I've seen. Still with any cards, a BGS 9 or 9.5 gets a nice premium.
Still you had them shipped and signed and repacked. So getting gem mint is still not easy with any on card autos. Look at some of the horrid conditions Topps 5 Star, Exquisite... ect come right out of the pack looking.

Also Topps Heritage WWE autos from it's most recent set are pretty beat to hell and those were sticker autos as well. Poor card stock on those from Topps. I bet even getting a 8.5 on those would carry a nice premium... Leaf used some great stock on these cards. Hope they use the same for Wrestling set they do this year. Autos pop really well on them as well.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Anyone know how many cases there were?

An estimation on how many are still out there and not cracked?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I shipped my Flair out for grading. It'll preserve it and look sharp, to boot.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
Anyone know how many cases there were?

An estimation on how many are still out there and not cracked?
Wasn't it around 1,500 cases made????

A lot has been cracked. Was a very big seller. Quite a few 1/1 have been hit. My guess maybe 20-25% still left sealed.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Personally, I would rather put the money I was spending on grading to more cards. Aside from preservation (if you think a penny sleeve and toploader aren't sufficient), I have never saw the point of grading a 1/1, /5, /10 serial numbered card.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Personally, I would rather put the money I was spending on grading to more cards. Aside from preservation (if you think a penny sleeve and toploader aren't sufficient), I have never saw the point of grading a 1/1, /5, /10 serial numbered card.
A lot of collectors like graded cards. Huge market for them.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
A lot of collectors like graded cards. Huge market for them.
I realize that, hence the use of the word "personally" in my post. Just saying I wouldn't grade these cards.

Last edited by booyahlaw; 02-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.
booyahlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Since the cards were issues in card holders, it won't be as condition sensitive as other sets. Hence, a grading slab won't bring much premium, in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Since the cards were issues in card holders, it won't be as condition sensitive as other sets. Hence, a grading slab won't bring much premium, in my opinion.
Just a quick search yielded $115 for a Ric Flair /50 at 9.5/10. Same card sold for $57 unslabbed. Just sayin'.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Also a Lex Luger base BGS 9 sold for $30. Just shows even 9 grade is nice value add.
Ungraded version sells in $10 range.
I'm hoping more get graded and hit Ebay. Would like to add a few Leaf Wrestling slabs to my collection. May even submit a few just to keep in PC for the protection. .
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
Just a quick search yielded $115 for a Ric Flair /50 at 9.5/10. Same card sold for $57 unslabbed. Just sayin'.
I can almost see the rationale of grading for some of the signers (i.e. Lex Luger) whose signature quality varies in the Leaf set. But I would like to see a little larger sample size that just the one referenced above before I would declare grading these cards to be a winning proposition. Sure, it all turns up roses when/if you receive a 9.5/10 on a Flair, but what about the 2012 Leaf card that comes back 9/9 or 8.5/9? In this situation, you are probably worse of than the owner of the unslabbed card.

Grading is not a recommendation I would make to the "cash poor" collectors in the hobby. When you are dealing with collectors which have money to burn, it doesn't matter what they do--they got the money to throw down on grading. However, my recommendation to anyone whom I do not know their financial wherewithal would be to put your limited disposable funds to cards, not peripheral services.

The only wrestling cards I would consider grading right now would be some of the 1980's issues--Wrestling All Stars, 1985 Topps/OPC Series 1 and 2, etc., as I have seen good money be spent on decent grades from cards of those issues and preservation should be considered with those aged cards. However, I am not a financial adviser, so people can choose to spend their money in any manner they wish.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure, it all turns up roses when/if you receive a 9.5/10 on a Flair, but what about the 2012 Leaf card that comes back 9/9 or 8.5/9? In this situation, you are probably worse of than the owner of the unslabbed card.
That was sort of my thought also - great post!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Well, you can ask for the card back raw if it doesn't reach a certain desired grading plateau (i.e., "return unslabbed upon 9.0 or less"). Also, I've received cards back from BGS graded as 8.5 that I thought could be 9s, but I've never been screwed out of a grade that I thought would be a 9.5 and wound up with an 8.5. Perusing your cards prior to shipping them off is A) common sense and B) worth it, as you can weed out which ones you honestly think will grade lower than a 9.5. At worst, you've wasted $15 to get a hardy investment. I wouldn't grade a Rick Steiner, for instance, but a Flair? A Hart? A Hall? Worthy $15 risk to increase value, if selling, or simply worth it to protect your collection from smoke or temporary flooding, etc. Just how I feel, personally.