Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rock v Hogan v Flair v Ventura

So who has benefited the most from wrestling?

With the recent Rock push I was originally thinking who was the bigger wrestler and that would obviously be Flair, Hogan, Ventura, then Rock. However who has benefited the most from being a wrestler?

I would argue that it would be Ventura, then Rock, to Hogan, Flair. A better discussion might be who recently benefited more Rock or Lesnar from WWE....

Thoughts?
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Namttip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

its a tough one if you rank those guys it probably at the moment is Hogan, Rock, Ventura, and Flair, but I think the Rock passes out Hogan soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
its a tough one if you rank those guys it probably at the moment is Hogan, Rock, Ventura, and Flair, but I think the Rock passes out Hogan soon.
I was looking at who's done more - I would say Ventura's governorship trumps everything...

But as far as pop culture, I think more people at this moment know Rock over Hogan due to the generation gap now. 10 years ago I would have said Hogan probably...
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/spam-your-ebay-comc-listings-here-photobucket-sportslots-etc/484335-namttips-collection-threads.html --- Current Projects - Entertainment: Walking Dead and GoT - Baseball: Brian Wilson, Barry Bonds, SF Giants - Football: SF 49ers, Frank Gore, - Wrestling: Lanny Poffo, KoKo B. Ware
Namttip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Out of those four names, Flair is the only one who hasn't had major success outside of the wrestling industry. The Rock is a movie star. Hogan had his reality show and lots of endorsements. Ventura was Governor, an author and a TV host.

If you ask who has benefited the most from wrestling? Then the answer needs to be calculated from the things the person got outside of the wrestling industry. Flair shouldn't even be in the same discussion as the other three, because he isn't even close. Flair might be one, if not the greatest wrestler of all-time but his personal wealth, mainstream popularity and status in pop culture is far lower than the other three names - Rock and Hogan more specifically.

10 years ago, Hogan would have beaten out The Rock hands down. But now The Rock stars in $100M movies and Hogan is more of a TMZ tabloid-type of celebrity. Also because of the divorce and lawsuit from Nick's crash, Hogan's fortune is much lower than what it once was. The Rock has a reported net worth of $70M, Hogan's net worth is now only about $5M.

If Ventura would have stayed in politics, he might be the winner here but now it's a conspiracy theory guy.

My list:

The Rock
Hogan
Ventura
Flair
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

In the REAL world (real life success): Ventura, Rock, Hogan, Flair

In mainstream popularity (IE asking an average joe if you know who they are): Hogan...................... Rock, Ventura......Flair

In WRESTLING: Flair, Hogan, Ventura, Rock (rock will pass ventura soon but ventura was around for like 30 years as a wrestler and announcer)

In "la la land" (Movies, TV etc): Hogan, Rock, Ventura............Flair

my 2 cents on this.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would have to say Rock has surpassed Hogan in the Movie side of things. Other than Rocky 3 (which was a small role) Hogan's movies were horrible. Rock on the other hand has had way more success in Hollywood.
EWG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWG3 View Post
I would have to say Rock has surpassed Hogan in the Movie side of things. Other than Rocky 3 (which was a small role) Hogan's movies were horrible. Rock on the other hand has had way more success in Hollywood.
You aren't considering Hogan's tv shows, the saturday morning cartoon he was the star of, and his guest appearances that have become legendary (SNL before WM1)
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
You aren't considering Hogan's tv shows, the saturday morning cartoon he was the star of, and his guest appearances that have become legendary (SNL before WM1)
His TV endeavor was mostly a colossal failure, too. He paved the way, certainly, but did so similar to how Lightning McQueen paved that road in Cars.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hogan is by far tops in mechandise, but don't know how much he actually profited.

How much has Rock earned with his movies?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

At least in the Midwest, Jesse would have the most name recognition out of the four of them.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

John Cena is problably doing the best currently with merchandising and a few movie deals.

Rock hasn't been in the ring much for the last 10 years or so.