Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bobby Heenan Leaf Originals Collection

I absolutely love this set and from the start my two favorites were the Iron Sheik and the Bobby Heenan cards. Here is my Bobby Heenan collection. I am still in search of a green ink base and am willing to pay or trade a decent amount for it if anyone has an extra. I will post my Sheik collection up someday as I have obtained both blacks and all versions and am proud of my set. Always in search of the sketches on them if anyone ever sees one please let me know.

My set started with just trying to get one card of each art variation in the set and I completed that fairly quickly as the market was flooded and you could buy them up cheaply. At this point I am in search of just a few cards and am always willing to wheel and deal. If you are looking for a specific short numbered card shoot me a PM and maybe I can trade you one. Good luck to everyone in there various set and variation quests, here are my Bobby Heenans for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Bobby Heenan Leaf Originals Collection-bobby-heenan-base.jpg   Bobby Heenan Leaf Originals Collection-bobby-heenan-leaf-alternate.jpg  
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

great collection.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

very cool collection. Hope you find the green base art.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice, man!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Green Ink Variant just popped up on Ebay. I really cant afford it between now and Europe at the end of the month but either I am finishing off my Heenans in 4+ days or someone is paying a lot of money for a Bobby Heenan Green Ink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
very cool collection. Hope you find the green base art.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

The legendary Heenan Green Ink base art is ON FIRE on ebay. Some heated bidding going on here after just one day--be interesting to see where it falls out; good luck to those bidding (my "watch bid" was surpassed several tens of dollars ago).
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very nice Bobby Heenan collection. Does seem more rare ink variations are picking up steam. Couple nice Heenan BGS 9.5s were on Ebay at one point.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Collection complete at a very high price. You gotta pay the cost to be the boss lol.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

55 wasn't ridiculous, but a lot more than a few months ago. The cards just now are starting to reach values where I'm sure they were intended at their initial release. It was shocking how cheap these cards were last fall. Buying boxes was a losing proposition where even the case hits (ink variations, plates, etc.) were money losers on a per box basis. I wish I'd got more of the ink variations back then, now I don't know if I'll ever complete my red ink master set. IMHO, assuming wrestling stays relevant as a "sport" in the future, these cards can't go anywhere but up so long as Leaf keeps making releases with different guys each year. Quickest way to tank these would be to re-release the same guys year after year ala the TNA Tri-Star products.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree, i hope they dont put the same guys in the set next year. Thats what happened to other sports, every company and every set has an auto of the same guy, do that for 10 years and see how many autos there are (joe montana, marino and the list goes on and on)
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Love it. Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon were a better tandem than any announcers for "real sports". I suppose it is easier when you have the script.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Have the Bobby Heenans 1/1 Blacks turned up yet?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

No Heenan blacks that I saw. As far as Heenan and Monsoon, I heard a lot of what they did comedy wise was off script/improv. The two were good friends in real life and played off each other extremely well. Gorilla was underrated by a lot of the dirt sheet writer/fan types for his announcing skills. IMHO, he made every event seem bigger than it was which is one of the most important aspects of being a good announcer. Jim Ross is also very good at it, but actually has gotten the credit for it from seemingly everyone but Vince McMahon who consistently finds any reason he can to get/keep JR off the air. Cole has Schiavone syndrome in that for whatever reason he just doesn't come across as a credible enough "voice" for the product/big time events/matches.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Speaking of the great Tony Schiavone, did anyone else know that he was a radio guy for the University of Georgia now? Didn't know that until I saw a picture of him at the SEC tournament in UGA gear.