Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 most significant Wrestling ppv's of all time.

3). Royal Rumble 1998. Austin wins RR and essentially puts the attitude era into full swing. It also puts "WWF" back into the driver seat of the monday night wars. You can say the attitude era had already started but the monday night raws between the 1998 RR and wrestlemania were some of the best ever.

2). Wrestlemania 1. Just because it really launched wrestling from a saturday morning thing to a real spectacle. It still is the Super Bowl of wrestling even if the matches have become a little predictable. and this one launched it all.

1). WCW Bash at the Beach 1996. Arguably the biggest name in pro wrestling of all time, Hulk Hogan, was the biggest name at the time. At this ppv he turns heel. And really puts the NWO on the map. They were awesome without Hogan but he turned the tide and they began to crush WWF on monday night. This ppv single handedly changed the course of wrestling and some of us were lucky enough to see it.

What are your 3?
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Off the top of my head..

3. 1999 Over the Edge

The night Owen Hart died. At the time I was in the 6th or 7th grade and was only allowed to order one PPV a month. I guess that month I ordered WCW because I remember watching Over the Edge scrambled. Back in the day if you didn't order the PPV, you could still "watch" it but the screen would be scrambled horribly and you could only hear every other sentence. But I was a big wrestling fan so I suffered through it. I remember "watching" JR deliver the "Owen Hart has died" announcement.

2. 1997 Survivor Series

The "Montreal Screwjob" - Bret screwed Bret. This along with the feud with Austin, propelled Vince McMahon from an announcer to "Mr. McMahon" the heel owner of the WWF. One of the most infamous moments in wrestling history.

1. 1996 Bash at the Beach

"But who's side is he on?" Even with Heenan's stupid commentary, this was the greatest turn in wrestling history. Hogan turning heel, joining the NWO. The fans littering the ring with crap. The ECW fan in the front row cheering.. I remember and love everything about it.
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ill just mention one. How has nobody started with Wrestlemania 3? Andre The Giant Vs Hulk Hogan. That was the golden age of wrestlings popularity.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectorMan View Post
Ill just mention one. How has nobody started with Wrestlemania 3? Andre The Giant Vs Hulk Hogan. That was the golden age of wrestlings popularity.
What do you mean by "golden age of wrestling populatiry"?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

The height of popularity for Wrestling. It actually went mainstream for a time during the mid 80s. That's what I meant.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

1983 Starrcade
1996 Bash at the Beach
1998 Royal Rumble
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The height of popularity for Wrestling. It actually went mainstream for a time during the mid 80s. That's what I meant.
Did you forget about the Monday Night War?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeHardcore View Post
Did you forget about the Monday Night War?
Lol..geezus. No I didn't. I tend to think anything making wrestling mainstream will trump the Monday Night Wars as you call them from the 90s. Without WM3, that entire Raw is War debacle does not happen. According to the stories, Vince Mc and Hogan were both very nervous that Andre might not let the Hulkster win at WM3. Andre did whatever he wanted. Well being the class act Andre was, he let Hogan win and the rest is history.

I will always have a soft spot for Andre. When I went to a event in Hawaii when I was a kid, he shook my hand in the aisle and said hello. I remember being shocked by how huge his hand and voice were. I often wonder if I had a scared look on my face or just a smile. I was trying to smile.. May have gotten stuck with the Face.

So yeah, that's why.

Wanna love Andre more? Look up the drinking stories about him. He was legendary. We will never see another human like him again.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

1) Starcade 83, A Flair for the Gold.

2) Wrestlemania III, Hogan vs. Andre

3) 1996 Bash at the Beach, Hogan turns heal for the first time ever.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I thought about WM 3 for my list but after WM 1 the Hogan Andre match seemed like a no brainer. You also have to remember Andre was a bit older and he could not move as well as he could when he was younger. He was already 40 and his health was very poor. The guy had been wrestling pro since he was 17 so he had some miles. I think the match itself was so huge because hogan and andre were literally the biggest guys in wrestling at the time.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Before I clicked on this thread, the one that popped into my head instantly was Wrestlemania III. Even though at the time I was only a couple months old and didn't live it it's pretty easy to look back and see the importance of that event.

I also liked the mentions of WCW Bash at the Beach 1996. Third one is kind of a toss up. Austin's reign you could say began with King of the Ring 1996.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

How about wm 6? It was a huge deal that hogan put warrior over clean. And at that time two faces against each other never happened.

Ecw barley legal. There first ppv and there best. For better or worse they changed wrestling.

King of the ring 96, not sure that that's the right name of the ppv but the one where Austin beat Jake roberts in the finals of that tournament then gave that promo that started the Austin 3:16.

Last edited by geauxj3; 04-19-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Wrong word
geauxj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxj3 View Post
How about wm 6? It was a huge deal that hogan put warrior over clean. And at that time two faces against each other never happened.

Ecw barley legal. There first ppv and there best. For better or worse they changed wrestling.

King of the ring 96, not sure that that's the right name of the ppv but the one where Austin beat Jake roberts in the finals of that tournament then gave that promo that started the Austin 3:16.
Totally agree on WM6. If Warrior wasn't such a unlikable person in real life, he could have had it all.

That moment I mentioned earlier with Andre was the event right after WM6. Literally the next week.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Totally agree on WM6. If Warrior wasn't such a unlikable person in real life, he could have had it all.

That moment I mentioned earlier with Andre was the event right after WM6. Literally the next week.
I like the warrior as a character but, he was essentially a body builder who decided to become a wrestler. His character and appearance made him. his technique didn't. He really only had a hand full of moves. If he would of been trained properly he could have been way bigger than Hogan, also the whole jerk perception didn't help him. But no doubt he had the right tools. if i looked like him i would never wear a shirt
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

My favorite PPV of all time is Great American Bash '89. Flair-Funk (Flair returns after Funk piledrove him on the table at Wrestle War), Steamboat-Luger, Sting-Muta, and even the Varsity Club-Steiners match was really good. Just a fun card from top to bottom.
Deeks is offline   Reply With Quote