Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I was just thinking about this. Let's say Ric Flair for example does sign again. On his base we don't know how many are out there but there doesn't seem to be even 50, 50 yellow, 25 blue, 10 red, 1 black, im not sure maybe 5 plates. On the alternate: base maybe 25, yellow 25, blue 10, red 5, black 1, 5 plates. I don't think even if another 212 cards (at most, being flexible on this) are dumped on the market next year it will hurt the value of this set whatsoever. I would agree with the concerns if they weren't so short numbered to begin with, but another 4 per state and 12 in China doesn't seem to saturate the market much to me.
I agree with you, Hogan has other brands that he has signed for including UD and TNA products. His cards are still selling for a premium when it comes to Leaf wrestling. Same goes for Flair. There are so many collectors of the big names by the time they are bought up and put into someones PC they will be scarce. Dont be surprised if by the time the 2nd series comes out the market for the 1st is altmost completely dry.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #77 (permalink)

The market for the first series is already becoming pretty dry, unless you are a Missy Hyatt, Rick Martel or Sid supercollector.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #78 (permalink)

What is a supercollector? I have read that term a number of times on these boards.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
What is a supercollector? I have read that term a number of times on these boards.
I believe the term originated from Beckett. Basically they select collection submissions to publish in their magazine that stand out whether by uniqueness, dedication, so on and so on but mainly due to comprehensiveness. The term has been greatly diluted throughout the hobby though and now pertains to someone who wishes to achieve said descriptors as well as those who already have. In the end though it's all about putting together a collection you yourself are proud of.
-Kobe & Kevin Garnett Autos, Inserts & Graded cards

Last edited by Krayzie83; 05-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #80 (permalink)

I could be totally wrong about the definition of "supercollector" as used in my post--in fact, I grimaced a bit from actually using the word in a sentence. I just thought a supercollector was someone who collects either all the cards of a certain individual or a multitude of the same card of a certain individual.

It was more of a sarcastic comment, as the only leafs I see anymore for sale are of Missy Hyatt, Rick Martel and Sid.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #81 (permalink)

It sounds like everyone is a supercollector at this point.

Wrestling is too small of a market to not collect multiples of the same card.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #82 (permalink)

agree with dpeck. Nice thing about wrestling collecting is it is not over produced to death like MLB, NHL, MLB, NBA..
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #83 (permalink)

There are also a lot less sets produced every year, as well.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
agree with dpeck. Nice thing about wrestling collecting is it is not over produced to death like MLB, NHL, MLB, NBA..
This is why i switched from football to wrestling. Just look at the Leaf wrestling product (for wrestling cards it considered expensive) and how much it costs per case. That is what and avergae case of football cards cost. Some cases go for over 2k and with the exception of rookies the players that sign in the products are the same altmost every year. I personally started to notice the return you get from a football hobby box was getting lower and lower. Thats just my $0.02.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #85 (permalink)

Many older wrestling cards have increased in price dramatically in the past five years and while the prices are much higher today they are still incredibly cheap on a relative basis.

There are many sets of cards that have hardly ever been graded and I believe you will continue to see strength in the market. The supply of wrestling cards is a fraction of that of the major sports and an increase in the number of buyers actively searching for those cards can have an explosive impact on price.

When I first started making it known that I was buying up the Wrestling All Stars to get graded almost everyone laughed and thought it was a terrible idea. Today they are accepted as a strong set of cards from the trading card hobby.

There has been a change in the perception of wrestling cards and I continue to see more people entering the market which is a good thing.

I personally plan to continue to broaden the reach of the cards I get graded and as others continue to do this it will open up new markets within the wrestling card market to collect and I think this will be quite healthy for the market.

We are still in the very early stages of the wrestling card market.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
Many older wrestling cards have increased in price dramatically in the past five years and while the prices are much higher today they are still incredibly cheap on a relative basis.

There are many sets of cards that have hardly ever been graded and I believe you will continue to see strength in the market. The supply of wrestling cards is a fraction of that of the major sports and an increase in the number of buyers actively searching for those cards can have an explosive impact on price.

When I first started making it known that I was buying up the Wrestling All Stars to get graded almost everyone laughed and thought it was a terrible idea. Today they are accepted as a strong set of cards from the trading card hobby.

There has been a change in the perception of wrestling cards and I continue to see more people entering the market which is a good thing.

I personally plan to continue to broaden the reach of the cards I get graded and as others continue to do this it will open up new markets within the wrestling card market to collect and I think this will be quite healthy for the market.

We are still in the very early stages of the wrestling card market.
Very insightful post. Totally agree that the wrestling card boom is in its infancy.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
The market for the first series is already becoming pretty dry, unless you are a Missy Hyatt, Rick Martel or Sid supercollector.
Does seem 75% of listing now are just high buy it nows that just keep getting recycled ever month.
Fresh Leaf wrestling listings has gone way down. Flood is over.

Some of the guys I follow maybe get 1 or 2 new listings a week.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote