Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default leaf wrestling last night

Some decent cards ended on ebay last night. I managed to snag the vader (red /5) Neidhart (red /5) and a handful of blue backs (all /25). I was to slow on the Buff Bagwell that was inscribed. Did anyone on here grab that card. IMO the price it went for was a steal. Not to mention red /5. I am just one more Vader Alt away from finishing his master run.
sjim8660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ha, I intentionally stayed away from the Red Vader as I didn't want to bid you up on your pursuit of a master set and figured it was you. I got a Blue Backlund/25 last night.
ryangeorgelaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I didnt know if you already had that Vader or not. I was actually lucky to snag up the Black. That Buff card was very nice, but for some reason that seller ends all of his cards literally at the same time.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think he must set them up all up in advance so that they all start at once and end at the same time. It hurts him long term though. I am going after the Hogan black hard tomorrow night. Plan on owning it, but if it goes cheaper then I expect I would've liked to go after the Flair alternate black as well, but they both end at the same time and I don't think I can pull both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
That Buff card was very nice, but for some reason that seller ends all of his cards literally at the same time.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

One good thing about him ending all of his auctions at the same time, I was able to score a Hogan Alternate plate for $106 a few weeks back in the melay when about ten prime cards ended all at once.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Its a benefit to us, we dont have to fight over every single card.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I laid off last night because I know you guys were going to go wild.

I still have to complete my yellow set as well as scan all my cards.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

That Hogan black 1/1 is starting to get stupid high. Its already higher than what I paid for Hall's 1/1 Alt. and higher than what the other HOgan 1/1 sold for.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just got outbid and am passing on it at this point.

Quote:
That Hogan black 1/1 is starting to get stupid high. Its already higher than what I paid for Hall's 1/1 Alt. and higher than what the other HOgan 1/1 sold for.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea....I bet the person who cosigned with Probstein shilled it up. The guy has zero feedback. I am staying away.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's too high, considering the centering is off. The only real problem with the leaf originals grading wise is they arent always centered the best. The Hogan isn't bad, but it appears to be off, at least to a 60/40 extent.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

I wish Greg the Hammer hadn't smeared his name on my Alternate black, what can you do.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Probstein's auctions seem to be about as on the "up and up" as pwcc's. For years and years Bill Mastro managed to apparently milk millions from collectors all the while vehemently denying his auctions were shilled (seemingly against all logic and reason). Same yahoos came out of the woodwork to defend Mastro back then on message boards everywhere just like happens now anytime anyone questions a big name in the hobby. Now Mastro is under federal indictment for (SURPRISE!) shilling auctions and trimming cards. Who'd have thunk it?!

That's not to say probstein per say is shilling them himself, I don't know that, no one does, but you look at that guys auctions and you consistently see shady bidding which defies all we know about regular auction activity. Whether it's probstein or the guys cosigning their cards with him who knows, but it's obvious something goes on that doesn't happen when you or I auction off cards with a significant number of Probstein's cards. There are plenty of other Ebay guys where the same thing happens over and over again, I won't bother to list them. Apparently everyone turns a blind eye or is too stupid to figure out.

Bottom line for me, is I simply try to bid on any card up until what I'm willing to pay. With that said, this has long been one of the shadiest hobbies out there.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

The Flair alt black is really badly off center, plus appears to have some ink smudging at the top. It's price point is just about where I'm checking out in so far as bidding even though I already know the other Flair is in your hands too and not coming out. It seemingly hasn't been shilled yet, but look out!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
Yea....I bet the person who cosigned with Probstein shilled it up. The guy has zero feedback. I am staying away.
I won 2 Probstein's auctions - cards both #/25. There wasn't any 0 feedback bidder on both of those.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

I wouldn't accuse anybody of anything but it seems awfully strange that someones first eBay purchase would be a 1/1 Hogan that they are forking out a minimum of $365 on.... Just saying, awfully strange.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

I noticed the centering issues but didn't notice the ink until you pointed it out to me. FML lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
The Flair alt black is really badly off center, plus appears to have some ink smudging at the top. It's price point is just about where I'm checking out in so far as bidding even though I already know the other Flair is in your hands too and not coming out. It seemingly hasn't been shilled yet, but look out!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well if it stays where it is now or around it, it's still not a bad buy condition issues aside, but I certainly wouldn't like it at much higher than that even as a 1/1 (especially if I already had the other Flair black).

As far as the Hogan zero feedback bidder, it's not just their lack of feedback, but also the items previously bid on. No recent history of bidding on wrestling cards seemingly at all, so now all of a sudden they want to pay the highest amount ever recorded for a Leaf wrestling card. More than a bit coincidental. Anyways, I always check the percentage of bids with a seller and the type of recent items usually bid on to protect myself against rampant shilling. sthoemke I don't think you got shilled on the Garvin and the Hillbilly Jim went for so little it doesn't seem to be a huge deal either way, but the fact the guy just below you has 27% of their bids with probstein auctions this month (for a whopping 900+ bids this month alone), with no other recent bids on wrestling cards would make me a little skeptical they suddenly "found jesus" last night and decided to bid on a Hillbilly Jim of all people. But even if that one was on the up and up, its more the $200 plus cards where people get really hosed on these cosignment auctions.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Probstein auctions have gone very high. He does sell nice cards though, I wonder if he knows anyone from American Icon? If you think about it they seem to have a ton of low numbered cards and how many black 1/1's have they sold so far? 3 or 4 big name guys.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
...I wonder if he knows anyone from American Icon?
That's what I was thinking.

What's the chance of the same person having a 1/1 Hogan & 1/1 Flair & 1/1 Flair printing plate?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Oh sh*t I could be in trouble. Apparently somebody was proxy bidding or something on the Hogan. After I thought I missed out I placed a large bid on the Flair that should win it for me. Now the proxy bidders bids have been removed and I am the high bidder on both the Hogan and Flair black with out of this world bids on both. I don't know how I am going to afford both when I win. So I maybe putting up some cards for sale in the buy/sell/trade section in the next few days to acquire PayPal money. They won't be given away, but if you are looking for specifics sps contact me and this could be your chance.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Do you have any Bret Hart autos? from leaf? I am still looking for his Base white and his yellow /99. If you have any of his black 1/1's and you need some big bucks let me know.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

ryan, would you ever consider moving the Hogan Alt Art Auto Plate you got on eBay a while back? I have the black version of the plate and I would love to put the rainbow together!

LMK, Thanks! Here is mine....

***"Insert Funny Quote Here!"***
DwightWall122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

0 feedback bidder cancelled $500 bid on the Hogan 1/1 Black.

That's usually a sign they want to see what the other highest bidder's proxy bid is - then they enter a bid near the end of the auction just under the other bidder's bid to beef up the price.

eBay.com Item Bid History

Likely is shill bidder. 36 bids in last 30 days with 11 bid retractions!

Bidding Details

I'd be inclined to ask the seller to restart the auction, or otherwise cancel my bids.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have a yellow and a blue that I may move if all of this plays out with me winning both and needing to sell some stuff. I will let you know and give you first crack at the yellow if that happens.

Quote:
Do you have any Bret Hart autos? from leaf? I am still looking for his Base white and his yellow /99. If you have any of his black 1/1's and you need some big bucks let me know.