Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #126 (permalink)

My whole Tatanka so far going to get the white and yellow graded for my case.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #127 (permalink)

King Sheik. Just out of curiosity has anyone out there been able to do anything close to this with any other wrestler, or am I the only one psychotic and dedicated enough to even try?

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 06-18-2013 at 07:03 PM.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #128 (permalink)

Just scored my 7th Sheik Red base. If you own one of the other three and want to get rid of it, I am your man.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 06-24-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #129 (permalink)

I have heard stories that the Sheik used to drink Heineken while he worked out, when I say drank I mean a case in an hour or 2.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #130 (permalink)

That was to go with some other stimulants too.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #131 (permalink)

I love when he tells the story of sneaking an eightball of coke into Canada for Jake Roberts and that dirty c*cksucker only giving him a couple of lines. Classic stuff.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #132 (permalink)

Speaking of the Iron Sheik. A friend sent me this story today.

Y! SPORTS
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #133 (permalink)

Other than a few action figures when I was little, I have 2 TTM cards (OBAK and a WrestleMania card from a WWE board game I used to play), along with an index card from Hulk Hogan.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
Just scored my 7th Sheik Red base. If you own one of the other three and want to get rid of it, I am your man.
I have one that is #10/10. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon but just wanted to help you locate them.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #135 (permalink)

I am at the point on the Leaf Originals now that every time I get another one in the mail it is the final piece to a pretty puzzle of some sort. I got a Bruno Sammartino Red/10 and a DDP alternate blue/10 today that allowed me to take this photo. I also got another Sheik Alternate Blue/10 today as well, just because.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #136 (permalink)

my recent wwe pickups
Attached Thumbnails
Show off your wwe-drew.jpg   Show off your wwe-kane.jpg   Show off your wwe-newpunk.jpg   Show off your wwe-punk-relic.jpg   Show off your wwe-ryback.jpg  

Show off your wwe-triplerelic.jpg   Show off your wwe-undertaker.jpg   Show off your wwe-zigglerauto.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #137 (permalink)

Here are my Perfect, Mr. Perfect (Hennig) and the Macho King.
I have a WCW Elizabeth that I am almost sure will grade out as at least a 9. My main goal is to complete the set in high grade, 9 or better and have autos that are clean with no smudges. Macho has cards in which you can see the marker was running out of ink, so its tough to find his auto that is clean and the card is in good shape.

Show off your wwe-scan-12.jpg

Show off your wwe-scan-8.jpg
Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #138 (permalink)

Congrats on the gem Mr. Perfect, that is awesome. If anyone owns #7 or #8 of the Red Shiek you should really trade it to me, I will make it worth your while.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #139 (permalink)

Check this out. Pretty FN sick if your an Animal Steele Fan.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #140 (permalink)

Default Bgs 9.5 leaf originals

some gem mints from my yellow base set.
psa 10's can't touch these.
Psa allows 8 centered to still be 10 final grade. Show off your wwe-100_8474.jpg
undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
some gem mints from my yellow base set.
psa 10's can't touch these.
Psa allows 8 centered to still be 10 final grade. Attachment 161164
Don't get me started on why PSA is better than BGS. The cards do look good though.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #142 (permalink)

I am at the National right now. You guys are dreaming if you think BGS is superior to PSA. Wake up from your dream. It is comical. The PSA booth is swamped, the BGS booth is dead. The highest priced cards in the entire card collecting hobby are in PSA holders. Period. PSA has 85% market share of all submissions. Game over.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I am at the National right now. You guys are dreaming if you think BGS is superior to PSA. Wake up from your dream. It is comical. The PSA booth is swamped, the BGS booth is dead. The highest priced cards in the entire card collecting hobby are in PSA holders. Period. PSA has 85% market share of all submissions. Game over.
mate you are deadset dreaming................if your talking vintage cards I'll give it to you, but anything modern beckett is the way to go.

I have psa 10 cards in gem mint containers that wont ever be a beckett 9. Im so sick and tired of hearing PSA over BGS, the reason the lines are so big for PSA is because in my opinion you get an easier higher grade.
Look up any high-end Jordan card and compare PSA to BGS for example, there is no comparison.
enough is enough, im over it.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #144 (permalink)

Not that the debate of PSA vs BGS/BVG hasn't already been done to death by myself and many others, but I really don't think it's as definitive as anyone thinks it is. I think PSA got a head start on Beckett by a country mile and many long time dealers/collectors had already invested heavily in the PSA market by the time BGS came around. It would not have served their interests to suddenly do an about face at that point and say "hey these Beckett graded cards in the same grade are way nicer than ours!", so whether they were or weren't, I think a lot of PSA guys went out of their way to destroy the credibility of BGS/BVG from the start and the legend became the reality for a lot of people in the hobby.

Now, with that said, if Beckett had come along and been the clear winner when it came to strictness and quality of grade all the PSA guys in the world couldn't have kept the PSA gravy train they were already on going forever. The fact is Beckett didn't rise to that clearly superior level and in some cases failed to live up to PSA standards on certain cards. As such, it never gained enough traction with hardcore hobbyists to supplant PSA and by and large fell by the way side on vintage (though it has never been obvious to me that BVG doesn't grade at least as strictly and in some cases much more strictly than PSA on vintage with the exception of possibly grading sheet cards (rumored) and centering issues on certain cards being somewhat ignored when the overall grades on a card were averaged out ).

As to modern cards, I think Beckett has gained a bit of an edge especially in the autograph card market because a grade is assigned to the autograph as well. I also think PSA allows some surface issues to get by more on modern that BGS wouldn't. Still, modern remains a bit of a niche market in that today's "prospect" may be tomorrow's bust, plus with the countless cards produced and protected nowadays from the moment they get out of a pack, so many cards grade high that it's dubious if that market will hold long term value. Some day there's going to be a lot of junk in Beckett holders relative to PSA.

Finally, I think dpeck comes with a clear bias towards PSA (for obvious reasons at this point), but I think that bias must stem from more than just protecting his own substantial investments, but also from a collectors experience of honestly believing PSA is much tougher on the types of wrestling cards he collects. I don't think he would go out of his way to buy PSA 82 All Stars (for example) if he thought "well BGS is better/stricter, but I want the worse looking cards because I like their holder better!" As such, I believe he is 100 percent sincere on his end when he sticks up so much for PSA even if I somewhat disagree with his assertion that PSA is far superior.

On the other hand, I also believe the BGS guys (and there are a few on here besides you) have honestly noticed from their experience the cards they collect look much nicer in BGS holders and are much more strictly graded by them.

As such the whole notion of grading is rather silly and rather subjective that it amazes me how we all get so passionate about it and pick sides. The only truly objective point that can be made is strictly in terms of resale value is PSA anything older than the mid 1990's and Beckett anything after that. I would argue SGC is the far most underrated company if you trust them to be grading authentic untrimmed cards (which I think we probably should) as I've never been disappointed by the grade they've assigned to any card I purchased. PSA on the other hand I would say is the biggest crapshoot in terms of high grade cards to know what your cards going to look like in person no matter the grade assigned. BGS/BVG on the other hand is usually consistent but that averaging thing it does can really distort cards final grade for better or worse.

Last edited by bullingham; 08-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #145 (permalink)

PSA continues to dominate the market in new submissions. PSA is a publicly traded company and the facts are the facts. We can argue all day about who is more strict and what niche of the market collectors prefer either grading company but in the end the financial strength matters to me. I chose to put my money behind PSA for two reasons. One because I saw that the big name cards in the hobby were in their holders and I thought one day if graded wrestling cards ever became valuable that PSA would offer the greatest price appreciation and liquidity possible. Two Beckett is in terrible financial condition and have seen their business collapse both on the grading side and their primary price guide side. The number of magazines they sell have fallen by over 75% in the past ten years and they lost over 30% market share in the grading business to PSA. The company has been sold twice during that time. If you are going to invest time and money into something you have to do research and I did. I chose PSA because I plan to hold my cards for a long time and I know for certain they are not going anywhere. At the show the cases that dealers had filled with graded cards was PSA 1, SGC 2, and BGS 3. In terms of activity at their booths PSA was easily five times more busy then either. SGC barely had a booth and there were only three people working it with no customers when I walked by. At the end of the day people can choose to put their money behind any grading company they like but it doesn't change the facts. PSA has graded nearly 1.7 million cards in the past 12 months and has 85% market share.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #146 (permalink)

The debate continues, what I will say is my Ric Flair Plate looks awfully good in a BGS holder.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 08-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #147 (permalink)

Yeah I like my wrestling cards in BGS slabs also.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #148 (permalink)

Pretty hard to beat Jake the Snake Roberts leaf Originals collection:

Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #149 (permalink)

I understand why people like BGS, because their cases are thick and it makes you feel they are more protected. PSA is not just the leader in grading but they are very credible certifying autographs. They are a well rounded company who seems to be gaining steam. Their prices are also cheaper when it comes to grading. I own some BGS graded cards but i bought them second hand, when it comes to submitting cards I only send cards to PSA. Hopefully BGS does not go bankrupt but they have lost traction in the past few years.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #150 (permalink)

There are plenty of nice cards in BGS holders. I still have six or seven cards that are graded by them that are still in my collection and there is simply too much risk in removing them. Heck I spent $1,000 on one of them this year.

I have purchased many BGS graded cards and have cracked them out from their slabs and sent them to PSA raw and have had less then a 40% crossover rate. I sent six Andre's and every single one dropped in grade and one dropped two grades. There is a reason the PSA graded Wrestling All Stars sell for so much more.

Look I am not here to bash your BGS cards and I think many of these auto cards look great in their slabs and if they make you happy that is all that matters.

Business is business and this is not a Coke vs. Pepsi scenario. If it were then there would really be something to truly debate.

Yes I am a PSA guy but competition is a good thing and hopefully BGS can stay in the game.