Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

I found an updated checklist as well. I was reading on Twitter that the the blaster boxes will have an autograph in each one as well - that should be pretty fun. I'm excited for the release as a Sporting KC fan. Tons of them in there.

Good luck on your breaks!

http://atlantasportscards.com/blog/w...ord-Format.pdf
ljack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

I wonder if this will have some of the same types of patches people found in the last SP Game Used Edition? Those were some of the nicest patches I have ever seen. I don't even watch MLS or soccer in general but I love opening those boxes. If this has something similar in it, I'll try some for sure!
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by neahcrow View Post
Have you even attended a MLS game? I'd really like to know. I've attended over 30 USMNT games over the past 4 years, am attending the World Cup, had Union season tickets before moving to the West Coast, and attended games in Europe.

The atmosphere at about half of the stadiums in MLS is better than the majority of stadiums in England and Italy even. The level of play is much improved over 5 years ago. I'd rate MLS maybe the 7th best league in the world now behind Germany, Spain, England, Italy, France, and the Dutch league. The games are exciting in person and on TV. MLS attendance already beats the NHL and NBA. And it is only going to get better with the younger generation (even younger than me at 27) really embracing the sport.

I do agree Topps should make a USMNT product next year for the World Cup and a EPL/Champions League/Europe product, but saying MLS sucks is about 5-10 years old.

As for the product I am opening the case. 2012 Upper Deck soccer and 2011 Upper Deck SP were some of the best returns I've ever had. Actually I made a killing off of a 2008 case I opened last year. One card paid for the entire case. Fans really embrace the team sets and autos for even 'scrub' players go higher than MLB stars. Topps does not have a strong auto lineup compared to UD and the price is high, but they have added content and I think the Topps name will help.
You honestly think the atmosphere at an MLS game is anywhere near what goes on at a Juventus home game for example? Or Chelsea, Man U, Tottenham, RM, etc, etc?

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

is this product out now????

if anyone pulls any Toronto FC parallel's private message me!!!

thanks guys
neon_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_tiger View Post
is this product out now????

if anyone pulls any Toronto FC parallel's private message me!!!

thanks guys
Comes out next week
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Have you even attended a MLS game? I'd really like to know. I've attended over 30 USMNT games over the past 4 years, am attending the World Cup, had Union season tickets before moving to the West Coast, and attended games in Europe.

The atmosphere at about half of the stadiums in MLS is better than the majority of stadiums in England and Italy even. The level of play is much improved over 5 years ago. I'd rate MLS maybe the 7th best league in the world now behind Germany, Spain, England, Italy, France, and the Dutch league. The games are exciting in person and on TV. MLS attendance already beats the NHL and NBA. And it is only going to get better with the younger generation (even younger than me at 27) really embracing the sport.

I do agree Topps should make a USMNT product next year for the World Cup and a EPL/Champions League/Europe product, but saying MLS sucks is about 5-10 years old.

As for the product I am opening the case. 2012 Upper Deck soccer and 2011 Upper Deck SP were some of the best returns I've ever had. Actually I made a killing off of a 2008 case I opened last year. One card paid for the entire case. Fans really embrace the team sets and autos for even 'scrub' players go higher than MLB stars. Topps does not have a strong auto lineup compared to UD and the price is high, but they have added content and I think the Topps name will help.
I'm a casual MLS fan and want to see it continue to grow and ultimately succeed but your statement in bold is just ridiculous. MLS is not nearly that good.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbol_Cards View Post
I'm a casual MLS fan and want to see it continue to grow and ultimately succeed but your statement in bold is just ridiculous. MLS is not nearly that good.
What league other than those is better than MLS? Maybe Mexico or a league in South America? That's about it. And the point is MLS isn't even 20 years old, the salaries are very low, and just the amount of growth in the last 5 years is incredible. You have guys coming back from leagues in Denmark, etc. that aren't even automatic starters in MLS. Look how strong some of the MLS players are doing for the National Team.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
You honestly think the atmosphere at an MLS game is anywhere near what goes on at a Juventus home game for example? Or Chelsea, Man U, Tottenham, RM, etc, etc?
I said MOST of the teams in Europe- you just selected basically the biggest teams in the world. I would say a Seattle Sounders game after attending would only come after maybe Dortmund (probably best atmosphere in world soccer), Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, and the bigger teams in England and Italy. In fact I think it rivals the atmosphere of alot of the bigger teams.

As for teams like Portland, SKC, Philly, Toronto, and Montreal- after attending games I would definitely say that the atmosphere is better than most of the mid and low table teams in the EPL and certainly in Italy and Spain where most of the stadiums are half empty.

Here are some stats from last year:

MLSís average gate this season is 18,828. While thatís less than half the average of 45,726 who attended German Bundesliga games during 2011-12, itís higher than figures from Franceís Ligue 1, Argentina's Primera Divisiůn and Brazilís Serie A.

The English Premier League ranks second at 34,601 fans per game in 2011-12, followed by Spainís La Liga (30,272), Mexicoís Liga MX (25,288 during the spring 2012 season), the Italian Serie A (23,459), the Dutch Eredivisie (19,516) and the Chinese Super League (18,928 through Sunday).
Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
What league other than those is better than MLS? Maybe Mexico or a league in South America? That's about it. And the point is MLS isn't even 20 years old, the salaries are very low, and just the amount of growth in the last 5 years is incredible. You have guys coming back from leagues in Denmark, etc. that aren't even automatic starters in MLS. Look how strong some of the MLS players are doing for the National Team.
Brazil, Argentina & Mexico in the Americas, maybe a few other South America leagues are better than MLS as well. I'd throw in the J-League from Asia too.

From Europe, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Belgium & the Ukraine are well ahead of MLS and there are more European leagues which are probably at least on par with MLS.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Brazil, Argentina & Mexico in the Americas, maybe a few other South America leagues are better than MLS as well. I'd throw in the J-League from Asia too.

From Europe, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Belgium & the Ukraine are well ahead of MLS and there are more European leagues which are probably at least on par with MLS.
Alot of those leagues you speak of have one or two super clubs that are better than any team in MLS but the rest of the league is absolutely terrible. The parity from top to bottom (other than Chivas and Toronto) in MLS is amazing.

As for Brazil, Kleberson couldn't even get into the starting lineup for the Philly Union and he was on a few world cup teams for Brazil.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
As for Brazil, Kleberson couldn't even get into the starting lineup for the Philly Union and he was on a few world cup teams for Brazil.
Kleberson was in the starting lineup but has been out with an injury for a couple of weeks now. We really would like him back on the pitch soon.
EWG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Alot of those leagues you speak of have one or two super clubs that are better than any team in MLS but the rest of the league is absolutely terrible. The parity from top to bottom (other than Chivas and Toronto) in MLS is amazing.

Klťberson is well past his prime on his last legs really, hence why he's currently in MLS. Even in his prime though he had a decent career but never really fulfilled his full potential after leaving the Brazilian league for Man Utd.

Most of the Brazilians who come to play in the States are either no-names in their native country or washed up has beens. Hell Freddy Adu left MLS for the Brazilian league and he's pretty much riding the pine over there. Before that he was in Turkey's 2nd division, not even deemed good enough for a top flight Turkish club and he's an above average MLS player.

I do agree about leagues like Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, etc. being weak towards the bottom of the table but even then I'd generally place many of those weak teams at least on par with MLS sides. MLS clubs have historically had a lot of trouble with CONCACAF clubs from Central America and the Caribbean so I seriously doubt they'd fare better against even weak Portuguese, Turkish and other such clubs.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Kléberson is well past his prime on his last legs really, hence why he's currently in MLS. Even in his prime though he had a decent career but never really fulfilled his full potential after leaving the Brazilian league for Man Utd.

Most of the Brazilians who come to play in the States are either no-names in their native country or washed up has beens. Hell Freddy Adu left MLS for the Brazilian league and he's pretty much riding the pine over there. Before that he was in Turkey's 2nd division, not even deemed good enough for a top flight Turkish club and he's an above average MLS player.

I do agree about leagues like Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, etc. being weak towards the bottom of the table but even then I'd generally place many of those weak teams at least on par with MLS sides. MLS clubs have historically had a lot of trouble with CONCACAF clubs from Central America and the Caribbean so I seriously doubt they'd fare better against even weak Portuguese, Turkish and other such clubs.

Your two bolded states illustrate your limited knowledge of the MLS and its recent history and trajectory.

Firstly, Freddy Adu is and never has been an above average MLS player. He was a player with above average potential who was never able to capitalize on that. You can blame that on the MLS' academy system, lack of personal commitment, or both, but to call him above average is both ridiculous and naive.

Secondly, the performance of MLS clubs in the CONCACAF Champions League (in its current format) is second only to Liga MX clubs. Granted, they haven't won a title in the Cup's current form, but they had more teams in the semis this past year than Central America & the Caribbean have had in the past three years combined.

Finally, to say "historically" is a bit silly - MLS is less than 20 years old, making its quick development that much more impressive. "Historically", MLS has been abysmal, but the past few years have shown an exciting amount of growth that has brought players like Omar Gonzalez, Graham Susi, and Jack Mac. In order to truly assess the MLS' accomplishments, you have to look at the league's current state of being and precipitous rise, not its former, immature self. It'll never compete against the likes of the EPL, La Liga, or Bundesliga, but when the Susis of the league choose it over less top-tier European leagues, the MLS must be doing something right.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to Wednesday!

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
Firstly, Freddy Adu is and never has been an above average MLS player. He was a player with above average potential who was never able to capitalize on that. You can blame that on the MLS' academy system, lack of personal commitment, or both, but to call him above average is both ridiculous and naive.
Or you could blame Freddy. That's what a lot of us do in Philly.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
Your two bolded states illustrate your limited knowledge of the MLS and its recent history and trajectory.

Well Adu's apparently not yet 25 but he's earned nearly 20 caps for the US national team. This is more Internatiopnal experience than your average run of the mill MLSer will ever attain so I'm thinking this indicates above average talent relative to his MLS peers. In any case my broader point was that the Brazilian league is far and away ahead of MLS.

Quote:
Secondly, the performance of MLS clubs in the CONCACAF Champions League (in its current format) is second only to Liga MX clubs. Granted, they haven't won a title in the Cup's current form, but they had more teams in the semis this past year than Central America & the Caribbean have had in the past three years combined.

Finally, to say "historically" is a bit silly - MLS is less than 20 years old, making its quick development that much more impressive. "Historically", MLS has been abysmal, but the past few years have shown an exciting amount of growth that has brought players like Omar Gonzalez, Graham Susi, and Jack Mac. In order to truly assess the MLS' accomplishments, you have to look at the league's current state of being and precipitous rise, not its former, immature self. It'll never compete against the likes of the EPL, La Liga, or Bundesliga, but when the Susis of the league choose it over less top-tier European leagues, the MLS must be doing something right.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to Wednesday!
Fair enough. If we only take recent history into account - the 5 seasons of the current CCL format - MLS is definitely 2nd best but as I said they've struggled along the way. MLS teams have on several occasions finished behind in the standings and have even been eliminated in a few head-to-head series' with CA/Caribbean opposition.

MLS only recently overtook their Central American counterparts and even then MLS sides are not that far ahead of the opposition results wise. Check out this CONCACAF coefficients table (based on UEFA's system) to see what I mean: CONCACAF Champions League Coefficient | Page 18 | Soccer Forum | BigSoccer

MLS is surely improving but to say it's better than the Brazilian, Russian, Turkish, Portuguese, etc, leagues is something I just don't buy.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
MLS is surely improving but to say it's better than the Brazilian, Russian, Turkish, Portuguese, etc, leagues is something I just don't buy.
You're probably right there, but its around 10th-12th I would say.

England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Russia, Portugal and the Netherlands for sure.

As a league its in the mix with that next tier of Ukraine/Switzerland/Turkey as well as Brazil/Mexico and the Championship.

There are teams in those leagues that would run over MLS (Shakhtar, Galatasaray, etc.), but then again, those teams run over those leagues.
hoosiergooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #42 (permalink)

Woohoo!!! Just got the call that my half case is in!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #43 (permalink)

if anyone gets any Toronto FC parallel's, auto's or patches.

PM me anytime.

please & thank you
Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergooner View Post
You're probably right there, but its around 10th-12th I would say.

England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Russia, Portugal and the Netherlands for sure.

As a league its in the mix with that next tier of Ukraine/Switzerland/Turkey as well as Brazil/Mexico and the Championship.

There are teams in those leagues that would run over MLS (Shakhtar, Galatasaray, etc.), but then again, those teams run over those leagues.
MLS teams don't fare well against Mexican opponents in head-to-head results and Mexican clubs are way behind Brazilian clubs (Argentine clubs too) so MLS being in the mix with those leagues is a no go.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
MLS teams don't fare well against Mexican opponents in head-to-head results and Mexican clubs are way behind Brazilian clubs (Argentine clubs too) so MLS being in the mix with those leagues is a no go.
I disagree with Argentina. They are closing the gap on the Mexican clubs, we'll see how the Concacaf champions league goes this year.

You're right about Brazil though I suppose.
hoosiergooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #46 (permalink)

I would love to see some box and case breaks today. Does anyone have some product to break yet?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
I would love to see some box and case breaks today. Does anyone have some product to break yet?
Just posted a break in the other sports breaks.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #48 (permalink)

great break EWG3, Topps did a fantastic job with the design this year, so much better then Upper Deck.

Last edited by neon_tiger; 07-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
great break EWG3, Topps did a fantastic job with the design this year, so much better then Upper Deck.
Thanks! There's things I like and there are things I don't like. I love the EPL and mini cards. The patch and patch auto's are nice as well.

What I don't like is that the non-patch cards feel like they are printed on cheap card stock. I think UD had better quality stock. The other thing that drives me nuts is 40 gazillion parallels in the set. I'm not used to dealing with that as I only collect soccer and this is my first topps purchase since 1988 when I used to collect Baseball cards. One of the other annoying things is that some of the parallel base cards are hard to distinguish when opening packs. I wouldn't doubt that I have other parallels mixed in with the base cards I set aside.

I am digging it as a whole and hope to get my hands on as many of the Philly union cards as I can. I hope to get a couple of rainbows of some of the players.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #50 (permalink)

One other thing of note: I just noticed a bunch of my blue parallel base cards have streak down the center of the card. I didn't notice it last night when I broke the stuff open, but now in better light it is visible if you hold the card on the right angle. Looks like I will be sending in some of these for replacement.