Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default First look: 2013 Topps Major League Soccer

First look: 2013 Topps Major League Soccer
May 9th 2013, 16:15

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor
As soccer grows in the United States, card companies are looking to tap into the market.
Topps has secured a licensed with Major League Soccer and will produce its first MLS cards this summer.
Each hobby box will have 24 packs with 10 cards in each pack. In addition, there will be two autographs and three relic cards in every box.

Autographs will include players from the MLS SuperDraft and top stars from the league on cards called MLS Maestros Autographs. Each autograph will feature four different parallels, including a Golazo parallel numbered 1-of-1.
Other autographs include Golden Boot Die-Cut Autographs with current and former goal scorers.
In addition, the set will include Extra Time Redemptions for transfers who make their debut during the 2013 season.
Some relic cards will also bear signatures with different levels of parallels.

Topps will also feature MLS Kit Relics and Official MLS Soccer Ball Redemption Cards.
The inserts will utilize action shots and unique designs.
- This Is Soccer: Action photos of players (autographs numbered to 25)
- 1978 Topps EPL Soccer: Top MLS players on the 1978 Topps English Premier League design
- Topps Mini
- MLS Rivalries
The base set will feature 200 cards including short-prints and variations. There will be Blue (numbered to 50), Gold (/25), Black (/10), Golazo (1-of-1) and Printing Plate parallels.
The set is scheduled to come out in mid-July.
Susan Lulgjuraj is an editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly. You can email her here with questions, comments or ideas. Follow her on Twitter here. Follow Beckett Media on Facebook and Twitter.

Beckett News First look: 2013 Topps Major League Soccer
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

2011 Upper Deck SP Game Used Edition is one of my favorite products ever. Those Supreme Fabrics patch cards were amazing. I hope with Topps taking this brand over that they have something similar either in this product or in a future one.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very interesting. Would love to open this stuff, but I don't do much international shipping anymore.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

these do look nice. but i realy dont follow mls. if they would have added the female soccer players that would have been great .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

if Topps wants to do soccer cards for the US market they need to do EPL cards. Figure out a way to get a license to produce them. As much as the EPL likes money, it would seem like it shouldn't be that difficult.

the world is smaller than 20 years ago. MLS will never be as popular in the US as the EPL. Americans want to see the best. And they know the best play in Europe. And it's never been easier to watch those leagues than it is now.

Most soccer fans would be more excited about Rooney, Tim Howard, Van Persie, etc, cards than the best of MLS.
Srodeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srodeva View Post
if Topps wants to do soccer cards for the US market they need to do EPL cards. Figure out a way to get a license to produce them. As much as the EPL likes money, it would seem like it shouldn't be that difficult.

the world is smaller than 20 years ago. MLS will never be as popular in the US as the EPL. Americans want to see the best. And they know the best play in Europe. And it's never been easier to watch those leagues than it is now.

Most soccer fans would be more excited about Rooney, Tim Howard, Van Persie, etc, cards than the best of MLS.
right , i have zero interest in the mls . realy cant beleive tops is wasting there time with this
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm curious about this set and will likely keep my eye on it.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

At $92 for a 24 pack hobby box, I'll pass.

And I'm sure a lot of others will too. Waaaaaaay too pricey.

In a year, these will all be on clearance for $30
Srodeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

More like 10 or 15
Brandon2598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Highly doubtful. UD settled in around 60 bucks a box, and though Topps is a bit silly when it comes to QC and customer service, there's still a pretty strong contingent of fans who will buy this at the initial MSRP. I can see it going to 50-60 (if it sucks) but not any lower.

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

I don't know if they'll end up as low as 30 bucks but Upper Deck did have a much stronger auto checklist than Topps seem to have. They had all of the biggest names in the league minus Beckham.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

eh not impressed, never cared for MLS 'soccer' in the first place. With a family from UK and Italy, the american version of our game is a joke. topps uk need step there game up and start doing this for the EPL rather than the stupid pack attax that continuously put out. otherwise just close out the topps uk section and topps needs to do it themselves.

i would liquidate most of my collection to collect them if they did this...
Looking for: 2014 Tier One Baseball Mark Teixeira Bat Knob 1/1 [Finders Fee]
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'll keep an eye on this, but don't have much for expectations. I'm perfectly fine with an MLS collection, but their offering seems a bit weak compared to past offerings for the MLS. For those in Europe, what is with the "Attax" collections? I have seen them in HK. They appear to be a game for kids, is that correct?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

^ Yes Match Attax is a kids trading card game, it's a really crappy product to be honest. Topps Europe did release a proper product with autos/jerseys for the 2010-11 & 2011-12 seasons but it wasn't distibuted via packs. Rather it was only available (singles) directly from this website: Autographed Football Memorabilia: England Premier League Shirts, Cards - and through a banks promotion.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbol_Cards View Post
^ Yes Match Attax is a kids trading card game, it's a really crappy product to be honest. Topps Europe did release a proper product with autos/jerseys for the 2010-11 & 2011-12 seasons but it wasn't distibuted via packs. Rather it was only available (singles) directly from this website: Autographed Football Memorabilia: England Premier League Shirts, Cards - and through a banks promotion.
Those look nice! If they were able to use that design on the MLS set (or a high-end EPL/UEFA set) then I think this product would be far more successful. This MLS offering looks a bit pedestrian, but I'll probably open a bit and definitely buy some singles. Here's to hoping for more developed product in the future.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
Those look nice! If they were able to use that design on the MLS set (or a high-end EPL/UEFA set) then I think this product would be far more successful. This MLS offering looks a bit pedestrian, but I'll probably open a bit and definitely buy some singles. Here's to hoping for more developed product in the future.
I also would like to see a similar design for the MLS set. Maybe in the next offering.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Just placed an order for 2 boxes from blowoutcards.com. Can't wait to break into them

Subscribe to my youtube channel to see a box break

LAGalaxyCards - YouTube
diegorvca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg

I think i might actually waste all my money on these.
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Will buy/trade for any DeAndre Yedlin's you guys pull or sounders in general
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

If anyone pulls Philly Union cards... I'd be happy to buy/trade. Got 6 boxes coming to me.
EWG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWG3 View Post
If anyone pulls Philly Union cards... I'd be happy to buy/trade. Got 6 boxes coming to me.
I'll definitely trade/buy any spiffy Galaxy cards, just let me know what you pull!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWG3 View Post
I will let you know if I pull any Union cards. Maybe we can trade if you pull any Galaxy cards
diegorvca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Too bad they don't make a real soccer set with the Barclays Premier League, or Serie A, or other international soccer leagues. The MLS is to soccer what the WNBA is to basketball.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorvca View Post
I will let you know if I pull any Union cards. Maybe we can trade if you pull any Galaxy cards
I'm all for it. Let me know if your buddy ever wants to get rid of the LeToux inked fabrics
EWG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Too bad they don't make a real soccer set with the Barclays Premier League, or Serie A, or other international soccer leagues. The MLS is to soccer what the WNBA is to basketball.
Have you even attended a MLS game? I'd really like to know. I've attended over 30 USMNT games over the past 4 years, am attending the World Cup, had Union season tickets before moving to the West Coast, and attended games in Europe.

The atmosphere at about half of the stadiums in MLS is better than the majority of stadiums in England and Italy even. The level of play is much improved over 5 years ago. I'd rate MLS maybe the 7th best league in the world now behind Germany, Spain, England, Italy, France, and the Dutch league. The games are exciting in person and on TV. MLS attendance already beats the NHL and NBA. And it is only going to get better with the younger generation (even younger than me at 27) really embracing the sport.

I do agree Topps should make a USMNT product next year for the World Cup and a EPL/Champions League/Europe product, but saying MLS sucks is about 5-10 years old.

As for the product I am opening the case. 2012 Upper Deck soccer and 2011 Upper Deck SP were some of the best returns I've ever had. Actually I made a killing off of a 2008 case I opened last year. One card paid for the entire case. Fans really embrace the team sets and autos for even 'scrub' players go higher than MLB stars. Topps does not have a strong auto lineup compared to UD and the price is high, but they have added content and I think the Topps name will help.
neahcrow is offline   Reply With Quote