Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1985 O-PEE-CHEE-WWF Series II PSA Set Registry....

I have been working on the base cards from this set for a while and will get a few of the action shots.

Here are the scans of the cards in my set.

Last edited by dpeck100; 09-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Those are awesome man. Looked through them last night.

2 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome cards! Those are always so horribly miscut.

Any plans on grading cards from the 1987 O-Pee-Chee set? I'd love to see some of those slabbed. The #1 Bret Hart card has to be tough.

Last edited by sthoemke; 05-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are no PSA 10's of either the Topps or the OPC Bret Hart. That card has to be worth something if one surfaces.

I have no interest in the 1987 OPC set at this time.

WrestlingTradingCards.com - 1987 WWF Wrestling Cards

The 1985 set is a labor of love. These cards do not bring much in graded form but are super tough. I enjoy the chase and how difficult these cards are to find reasonably centered with clean surfaces and sharp corners.

I have submitted any of the base cards that I have that would advance my set so I am completely relying on others to sub these to advance my set from here.

I have been working with someone who has been subbing the cards to get them for my set and it has worked out well for both of us.

There are a few cards that are going to be super tough to find in mint condition. The King Kong Bundy is off cut almost every time and I have yet to find one with better then 80/20 centering. There are other cards with the same problem so this is a truly challenging set.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just checked the 1987 Oh-Pee-Chee PSA POP report. Not many cards graded. There are some 9's, but no 10's. The cards are much scarcer than the Topps 1987 cards, which was way over-produced in my opinion. Would be interesting if any 10's ever surface.

1985 cards are much better sets though.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

The one set of cards I remain surprised has such limited interest is the 85 OPC Series I.

These cards are hard to find and especially in strong condition. I have had my eye on the boxes that have sold but just cant pull the trigger at $10 a pack.

I opened a box of the OPC Series II and with wax stains and gum stains impacting 2 of the cards in a pack it just seems too risky to open and grade at that price.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just a question. How in the world did the Anvil card get a 9 when the bottom edge looks so rough?
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I just checked the 1987 Oh-Pee-Chee PSA POP report. Not many cards graded. There are some 9's, but no 10's. The cards are much scarcer than the Topps 1987 cards, which was way over-produced in my opinion. Would be interesting if any 10's ever surface.

1985 cards are much better sets though.
I have a handful of graded 87 OPC cards. I have requested a set be put on the registry and it should be added soon. I was lucky enough to buy a wax box of 87 OPC not too long ago and have build a set that just needs to be sent in for grading. But the 87 OPC cards are very hard to get, they also did not put stickers in their packs.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
Just a question. How in the world did the Anvil card get a 9 when the bottom edge looks so rough?
PSA keeps in mind the material the card was made with and the process for cutting these cards.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just snatched up a few of the 85 wwf stickers (PSA 10's) I am going to make a run at knocking the guy off his #1 spot on the registry. Its not going to be cheap but there is only 22 cards in the set, so it shouldn't take too long.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
PSA keeps in mind the material the card was made with and the process for cutting these cards.
I am sorry but to me that is BS. If the card is not mint why does it get the grade? That goes into a sort of gray area
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

It is called a rough cut. If you look at any of the OPC Hockey sets you will find tons of them.

A lot of those collectors actually prefer that so they know it was not cut from a sheet and instead came from packs.

OPC cut cards from the factory with a different type of blade then Topps.

Where a card like this gets taken down in grade is if the cut damages the corners. This card has very sharp corners and I am assuming this is why it graded what it did.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

I understand about the rough cut but I would still not consider it mint by any means. I would put a note on the case label calling it rough cut and potential 9 kind of like how CGC does with comics.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

If another card pops up in the same grade or higher I will be looking to buy it too.

I agree this is not a very strong 9.

I purchased it for $10 delivered so I am not loosing any sleep.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I picked this one up recently and got it in the mail today.

I am down to six of the base cards and have a few of those to send in soon.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nice cards. This set is brutally centered. It would be impressive to complete a high grade base set.

I like the 87 OPC Bret hart card too. It's a tough card and I think he is one of the bigger names. I just ripped a few 87 OPC packs but struck out
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

I was disappointed to see that the first Bret Hart PSA 10 from the 1987 WWF OPC hit EBAY the other night and it didn't last long at $99.

I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. I saw the PSA 9 listed for $50 and quickly went to the pop report and saw there was a 10 and figured it had been graded in the large batch that 4SC had submitted. I went to the completed sales and it was already sold. The listing had only been viewed a few times so someone scooped it up fast.

I am not a huge Bret Hart fan with him turning into such a cry baby in recent years but he was great in the ring and had a nice run and I certainly would like to own one copy. I think buying a graded one vs. busting boxes will be cheaper in the long run so hopefully a few more show up and I can add one to my collection.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think it's unfair to call Bret a "crybaby" given everything that has happened to him in the last 15 years. He's lost a younger brother to a WWE stunt, several of his best friends in the business have passed away far too young, and both his parents have also died. In addition he had a career ending concussion after a miserable unwanted stint in WCW, a stroke, a divorce, and probably traces a lot of all the "bad times" back to Montreal where he rightly or wrongly felt betrayed by a man he felt a second father to him.
I think any man would come across a bit bitter after all that (unless merely being well off and well known are the only things that matter to someone) and although it might be in Bret's interests to stop talking about certain rehashed subjects over and over like the "screw job", those are the questions he most often gets asked when he does an interview. He's one of the most articulate wrestlers of the past 30 years and one of the most introspective, in addition to being a great wrestler who truly loves the "art" of professional wrestling and probably being the last true traditional WWE/WWF champion before the title started changing hands so many times it lost a lot of its meaning.

In any event be that as it may and back to cards, that Bret seemed like a great price to me too as I hardly ever see any even ungraded 1987 Bret OPC's for sale, so it is either very hard to find 1987 WWF OPC or someone's sitting on a warehouse of them somewhere in the backwoods of Canada. That Bret is a Canadian Hero first and foremost I think makes an OPC rookie card of him that much more desirable just as OPC's are by far more valuable than Topps in hockey. Anyway, I actually hope there aren't any more 10's of the OPC Bret to come out, but then again I may have recently developed a bias.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Deleting duplicate post

Last edited by bullingham; 08-23-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

Bullingham nice pick up! I too agree that with Bret being from Canada and the fact that the 87 OPC are so much more difficult to find it only makes since the OPC card would be his most desired.

There is no doubt that Bret has had a rough go and certainly has reasons to be bitter. I personally think the incident in Montreal is his fault and George The Animal Steele has put it best. You didn't win the belt, Vince gave you the belt and he can take it away. My issue with Bret is he is constantly being interviewed and taking shots at wrestlers and it never seems to be positive. From a technical perspective one could argue that Bret is the best wrestler ever. There only a handful of performers that could be put in that category. From a money drawing standpoint he was one of the worst WWF champions ever. Was that his fault? One will never know as the general public are fickle and perhaps the wrestling business was in a lull and it wouldn't of mattered who was champ. Bret's mic skills are very weak and I can't think of one promo he has ever cut that I would want to watch repeatedly. I respect all of these great performers and I personally love the fact that Bret came from such a historic wrestling background and has been so involved in the business. I think he would do him self some good if he would be less critical of guys like Hogan who really transformed wrestling from a sport to entertainment and helped make it possible for tons of performers to make dramatically more money then they could have ever imagined.

Either way I will be on the lookout if another one pops up but knowing 4SC they will probably raise the price after seeing how fast the first one sold so I would bet it won't be listed for that price next time even if the population goes up.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have opened 3 boxes of 87 WWF OPC, and all the harts I got with the exception of 1, were horribly off center or had gum stuck to the them. I have 1 at PSA right now that should be a 9. This OPC product is so tough to get, the boxes sell in the range of $50.00 each, if you are lucky. So I can imagine that 4SC either busted 20 boxes or they just got very lucky.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks. So long as it remains rare in PSA 10 form I think to the right Bret fan it's worth quite a bit more than 99.99, maybe double or triple that right now, but as I am a big Bret fan, can't imagine parting with it any time soon. Some day if it remains the only one graded that high (or one of a handful) I think it could be a huge card if the wrestling market continues to grow. When you're an entire country's favorite all time athlete in a "sport" by leaps and bounds I think it'd be hard to ever see this card going the reverse in value.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

great score
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Just got it in the mail today, worthy of the grade and looks great. I was a little worried because it was 4sharpcorners and you hear some things, but this looks like an OPC cut but strong and not a laugher 10.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Awesome!! Congratulations once again.