Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

The 1991 Imagine auto's have terrible centering. I have yet to see one that doesn't as well.

The same holds true for the base cards. I have three sets and I only found a few that could grade high due to centering. I have two cards from this set in my stack that I am sending off to PSA.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

This is why both of these cards will be tough in high grade along with many from this set.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #28 (permalink)

I really think you could only create that high dollar value with base cards that the sets are not in abundance. There are tons of wrestling rookie cards out there but most are in sets that I could go buy 100 of right now. I have seen bgs gem mint graded 98 and 99 wcw cards and they bring jack squat. The real question is when the hall cards grade high, are they going to appeal to you or many other people in the wrestling community? I personally would never pay more than $5 for one in any condition which is what these were selling for not that long ago. I do think it is cool that someone is cornering the market on them and being profitable. If you can turn a few bucks into 100 bucks more power to you.
Anyone remember the cm punk 2004 rc that was selling insanely high for a while but has now gone right back down to where it started?
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
I never knew those autos existed either, wow. I bet the Austin/Hogan/Sting would sell for a lot, maybe Gordon Solie too. A box ended on Ebay recently for $47. But this makes me nervous

- Authentic autograph cards cannot be confirmed. The cards listed above represent what has been seen on the
market and/or what is printed on the wrapper. It is not known just how many wrestlers actually signed autograph cards
and if any of the autographs were by redemption cards only. Cards do not have special markings on them to identify
whether they are authentic or not. All autograph cards from this series are of the regular basic set cards.
I pulled an auto from a 1995 Main Event pack, so they are definitely in the packs and not redemption. I doubt if Sting, Austin, Hogan, or any of the other top names signed for the set though. I had 2 random packs sitting around for at least a couple of years. Never opened them because the odds on the autos were so high and the only other inserts were PPV discount coupons. One day I ran across them, decided to open them, and pulled an auto. I was shocked, but not having any authentication or differentiation from the base set was a real buzz kill though. I couldn't believe it.
Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
I really think you could only create that high dollar value with base cards that the sets are not in abundance. There are tons of wrestling rookie cards out there but most are in sets that I could go buy 100 of right now. I have seen bgs gem mint graded 98 and 99 wcw cards and they bring jack squat. The real question is when the hall cards grade high, are they going to appeal to you or many other people in the wrestling community? I personally would never pay more than $5 for one in any condition which is what these were selling for not that long ago. I do think it is cool that someone is cornering the market on them and being profitable. If you can turn a few bucks into 100 bucks more power to you.
Anyone remember the cm punk 2004 rc that was selling insanely high for a while but has now gone right back down to where it started?
Its hard to compare CM punks "Rookie" to Scott Hall's "RC". Scott Hall changed wrestling forever with the NWO, he was also apart of the Kliq. Hall is way more important to wrestling than CM punk will ever be. so thats a bad example. Also think about it on the reverse, what if we are lucky to be able to buy 1992 topps wcw cards for as cheap as they are now? I recently seen some Ric Flair Impel cards see for around $10-$15 each, PSA graded. Impel cards!!!!!!! Impel!!!! sell for $15 each? that was auction style. you can get a box of impel for $5. So there is a difference between graded and not graded.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

Alli can say is the people who bought the impel are fools. Then again how much did the seller make back? I have no idea what grading costs anymore
Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #32 (permalink)

On average with PSA it is $6 today to get a card graded for their monthly specials. In order to submit to PSA you have to buy a membership and you get vouchers with that for higher dollar value cards and very quick turnaround times.

In the case of the graded Impel cards if you have a penny in the card and get it graded and sell it for $15 that is actually an awesome return on investment. No one is getting rich off wrestling cards as the market is not deep enough to do enough volume for it to matter but on a small scale it can be a tremendous place to investment money.

Comparing a card made in 2004 with the much better printing and distribution techniques to a card that was only sold oversees and was made in 1992 is a horrible comparison. Let alone comparing the two performers.

Many of the cards from the 1992 set come with 80/20 centering and have no chance to be mint even with razor sharp corners.

There will not be a flood of high grade Scott Hall cards surfacing and so it would be natural for a few to command much higher prices.

Anyone selling this card raw for $5 is just not using their brain. You have to dare to ask for more and in most cases you will get it. This card will be a $25 or higher raw card for sure.

There has not been one wrestling card that I said would get expensive that hasn't and the Scott Hall rookie card won't be the first one.

If indeed I get a mint copy in my pursuit and decide to sell it there is no chance it will sell for less then $100 because I wouldn't let it go for less.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #33 (permalink)

^ don't sell it for less sell it to me
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #34 (permalink)

Just saying. They were bringing about $5 less than a year ago. Several sets were broke and hit ebay. Still just a base card to me. Wrestling base has never had a huge appeal unless its vintage. Wrestling cards have always been a sellers market though. I pretty much always get what I ask on the singles ive sold in the past. Ive had a copy of almost every single wrestling auto in production. Wrestling cards will get what you ask for them. I still think its hard to think of the cards as rookie cards. I would call them first appearance maybe.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #35 (permalink)

You have made many references to auto cards in threads which are obviously the more rare and desired card from a more modern set.

Since older cards are only base cards the only way to differentiate them is by the condition. That is where grading comes into the equation.

Grades make standard trading cards into insert cards.

If you have any of those WCW auto cards that you are into and they are actually close to mint I would get them graded. I have long thought those could do really well in high grade holders.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

I'm surprised very few WCW auto cards have been graded. PSA shows only about a dozen have been graded from both the 1998 and 1999 sets. (not sure about the other grading companies)

Graded examples could be the next big thing.

I think I'd definately get mine graded if I decide to sell.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #37 (permalink)

I have had at least 3 full sets of wcw autos and I can tell you that most of the cards out there grade a 9 or higher. I have owned gem mint graded ones and they dont bring much more than raw versions.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #38 (permalink)

If you have any scans of a card from the set you think would grade PSA 10 please post it.

I would like to see one.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #39 (permalink)

guys these are BASE cards. Base cards. Base cards. thats it.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
I never knew those autos existed either, wow. I bet the Austin/Hogan/Sting would sell for a lot, maybe Gordon Solie too. A box ended on Ebay recently for $47. But this makes me nervous

- Authentic autograph cards cannot be confirmed. The cards listed above represent what has been seen on the
market and/or what is printed on the wrapper. It is not known just how many wrestlers actually signed autograph cards
and if any of the autographs were by redemption cards only. Cards do not have special markings on them to identify
whether they are authentic or not. All autograph cards from this series are of the regular basic set cards.
I have the Austin and Pillman inserted autographs for this set. I recently saw someone pull a Butcher autograph. I received mine from someone who broke tons of cases of these cards. He also pulled Hacksaw, Parker, Armstrong and Jimmy Hart. They are nice autographs to collect if you have an interest in "vintage signatures" signed in their prime, but difficult to sell without a manufacturer coa. Based on my experience, I would say auto's are 1 in 4 boxes. Almost everyone signed for this set that had a card in the checklist. I remember reading a story of Solie and the ring announcer Cappeta going into a room to sign a bunch of these cards.
HaydenFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #41 (permalink)

i dont know about hogan, but i know a sting auto was pulled from the main event set. Most of the ones confirmed can be found on a wrestling trading cards checklist site (cant remember the site name) ill try and get a link here in a few. Was sure i remembered stings name in the confirmed signers lost
spookytwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

I got some more sets today and the centering on so many cards is bad.

Here are the two best Diamond Studd cards.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #43 (permalink)

I think this card looks great in a PSA holder.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #44 (permalink)

Does psa still not put cards in a penny sleeve inside the case?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #45 (permalink)

No they do not.

Some cards float around inside and others have a plastic wrap that holds it in place.

Neither are like the BGS holder where the card is in a thick penny sleave.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

While I agree that psa is the way to go with grading anything older than 2000 for the most part, I hate that the cards are loose. It reminds me of a card inside a toploader with no penny. I cringe when I see it as it could allow for more damage. I am sure it is minimal but nonetheless....
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

I personally have never seen a card get damaged by a PSA holder and I have owned thousands of PSA graded cards. I have seen a BGS holder break on the inside which allowed a piece of plastic to float around inside the case. I am sure thats a 1 in a million kind of thing.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #48 (permalink)

Here is a card with the plastic inside the holder.

I am sure PSA has given the potential damage some thought. They have cards that are in the millions in their holders.

The first card I ever cracked out was an Andre The Giant BGS 9 and was panicked when I saw the sleeve with the Andre warping inside the holder. Fortunately I got it out before there was any damage to the card. It now sits in a PSA 8 holder. NONE of the Andre BGS 9's will cross to PSA.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #49 (permalink)

I do worry about holders that compress the cards. Screwdowns were the worst for warping.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #50 (permalink)

The reason graded cards sell for what they do is this Scott Hall is a great card and got an 8.

This example has tremendous eye appeal and I think the picture makes the card.

With wrestling cards it is always so cool to see the performer in a card before they exploded.

Scott Hall is pimping in this photo and was in great shape.

Vince thought the same thing and grabbed him and turned him into Razor Ramon and his career took off.