Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Awesome PSA 7 grade on the 1928 Stecker (Stecher)! I doubt that will ever be beat, and probably not many will ever be graded.
sthoemke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

1 1 21308074 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1908 OGDEN'S LTD. PUGILISTS & WRESTLERS 9 ZBYSCO Card

Do you have a picture of this card. I bet it is sweet.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

Sjim you and I won't be the only one's who want to win that card.

I have one at PSA now but it won't grade a PSA 9.

That is a sweet card.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default perforated cards

I think it is tough to really know what to expect with a perforated card and that is one reason why I think that Austin is a potential huge card. I do think there will be significant interest in that card and was worth the PSA fees in the one card.

That Joe Stecher will be very difficult to top I agree and I was very happy with it.

I will be selling my PSA 4 of Zybsco as this 8 will be taking it's spot in my collection. PSA hopefully will be shipping these cards today, if not tomorrow!

Subbing is a lot of fun, there are some cards I am just happy to slab despite the grade like the La Morena Stecher and then there are cards like the Austin where I will purchase several and look for the one that might hit a high grade.
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

Would the magazine card really be considered his rc? I always thought a card wasnt really considered that unless it was sort of major production like his 95 wcw card. Just like jordan 86 fleer rc vs his old star cards
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #31 (permalink)

Default magazine card

I think a better comparison would be Tiger Woods and his RC. There are many reasons why the Star Jordan fell behind the Fleer RC. The Austin 1995 card while a good card is going to be limited in long term value due to the fact that it is not condition sensitive and not particularly rare. This magazine card was issued two years prior to that WCW card and very difficult to find. With limited supply the magazine Austin card will clearly be the one to own and in my opinion it is not anywhere close. This is a US release and distributed by the WCW magazine and not a questionable release from an unknown manufacturer. Time will tell but I am betting on this one!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #32 (permalink)

The 1993 Steve Austin magazine card was produced in the UK by London Publishing Company.

Steve Austin's first card was produced 2 years earlier by Cromy for an Argintina game card set.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #33 (permalink)

Yes, you are correct. Not made in Angola though....UK releases are fairly well documented and probably the most catalogued outside of the US.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

I personally would consider his Magazine card his RC. I don't think I am the only one considering that card sells for a premium. If a PSA 10 ever hit the market it would command a premium. It would pull some attention to Wrestling cards. I think before recently people have not seen any value in getting wrestling cards graded, the market is starting to grow and money is starting to circulate. Hopefully certain RC's can get the attention they deserve, Hart, Austin, Hall.
sjim8660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

If you are considering the first made/oldest card, then the Cromy card should be considered Steve's Austin's rookie card.

A couple Ric Flair cards from the the set have been graded by PSA:

1991 Cromy Juego De Naipes Wcw Luchadores

If you are considering US-only trading cards, then the WCW Main Event card should be the rookie.

If you are considering standard-size/non-game cards then the WCW magazine should be considered the rookie.

It's really only a manner of preference, which I think is one of the fun aspects of wrestling cards. (other sports also have the same "issue")
Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #36 (permalink)

I think it would be safe to say that he does not have an official rc in that case. He has first appearance cards but not a true rookie especially its a matter of opinion and not fact.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #37 (permalink)

I know the guy who got those 1991 cards graded. I need to ask him if he found a Steve Austin.

You can check EBAY and find a 1995 WCW Steve Austin any time you want. It is still a cool card but has no where close to the potential that the 1993 card has.

This card is a winner and if Rob decides to auction it off it will do quite well.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #38 (permalink)

I also used to be able to find the 92 diamond studd card for $5 anytime I wanted...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #39 (permalink)

What is your point?

Markets change.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

Diamond Studd is also in the 1991 Cromy set.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

That was my point. The whole idea of a wrestling rookie card is really silly to me.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #42 (permalink)

People like collecting early cards of athletes. That is all that is happening here.

It is really not that shocking. You have a relatively new category for serious collectors and a limited number of star cards to choose from with a low supply.

The core of long term card collecting are the important base cards like the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle or the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan. Collectors like early cards.

Wrestling is no different because the same forces that drive those markets drive the wrestling card market but just on a much smaller scale.

You seem to only be impressed by factory released signed cards and that is fine. Many others appreciate the difficulty in finding nice examples of important base cards.

This is exactly why the harder to find 1993 Steve Austin will always be worth more then the 1995.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #43 (permalink)

Its really not that at all. I have collected wrestling cards for years. I have seen the market rise and fall and rise again. It just seems to me now that collectors are digging really deep to try and find or make value of something sort of trivial and obscure or very very common. That is all. Im not the only wrestling collector who feels this way. Just the only one expressing this side of the opinion. To each their own.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #44 (permalink)

The market is in the discovery phase. Some cards that hit will stay up. Some will fall as well.

People are just testing the waters to see what the reaction of the public is. Will they buy it? Who might want it? Etc.

I sent in some very inexpensive cards to PSA recently to broaden the scope of graded wrestling cards in my collection. Some will get some interest and I am sure some won't.

There are a ton of wrestlers that have long time fans and to have a nice trading card of them is something that many people would like. The older wrestling card market is not that big so cards like the Steve Austin standout.

A lot of the long time wrestling collectors were never that concerned about pristine condition so the concept of graded cards is not something they like. That being said the most expensive cards in the world in the card collecting hobby are graded cards so it just natural that has moved to wrestling cards.

There is no chance that you will be finding raw cards like a Scott Hall for $5 any time soon. There are too many people looking now and the bargains get snatched up.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #45 (permalink)

When one of the random psa cards passes this I will start investing.
Attached Thumbnails
wrestlingcardking on ebay-uploadfromtaptalk1370059581967.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #46 (permalink)

After investing in a set this card was essentialy free for me. Been offered 4000 just recently and wouldnt take less than 5000
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #47 (permalink)

I don't really see that happening.

I am guessing there are just a few of that card that exist.

It only takes a handful of interested parties to keep the price of a card like that high for a long time.

When there are quite a few close examples it clearly limits what a common card can sell for.

That being said the star cards in a high PSA grade could easily compete in price with that card.

You might not be aware of what a PSA 9 Andre The Giant can sell for.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #48 (permalink)

I see you indicated this was a $5,000 card.

An Andre PSA 9 is not in that range but a 10 would be.

A Hogan PSA 10 would easily command $5,000.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
When one of the random psa cards passes this I will start investing.
I know Booker T card is basically a 1 of 1 so far, but some lucky person must have a stack of those.

I know it is a valuable card, but I don't know if some would pay $4000 or $5000 or whatever simply for bragging rights. Purchasing would be a risk if other cards started coming on the market.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #50 (permalink)

I personally do not collect wrestling cards as an investment. I am not banking my children's college education on them. I am a wrestling fan and I collect wrestling cards so my passion is what drives my collecting. If I see a card that I really want and it cost's me a couple hundred dollars then I buy it, given that I am paying at least close to what the value is, based on a few variables. I guess what I am saying is that people who want to debate prices and financial return on certain cards probably should not be spending money on wrestling cards. It's a hobby, you do it because you like it. I actually know people who are banking that the sports cards they have will be worth thousands by the time they hit retirement age. Which in most cases is not fact. A small percentage of sports cards are worth thousands. and the people who spend thousands are not concerned about paying their bills. just my $0.02.
sjim8660 is online now   Reply With Quote