Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
I personally do not collect wrestling cards as an investment. I am not banking my children's college education on them. I am a wrestling fan and I collect wrestling cards so my passion is what drives my collecting. If I see a card that I really want and it cost's me a couple hundred dollars then I buy it, given that I am paying at least close to what the value is, based on a few variables. I guess what I am saying is that people who want to debate prices and financial return on certain cards probably should not be spending money on wrestling cards. It's a hobby, you do it because you like it. I actually know people who are banking that the sports cards they have will be worth thousands by the time they hit retirement age. Which in most cases is not fact. A small percentage of sports cards are worth thousands. and the people who spend thousands are not concerned about paying their bills. just my $0.02.
I agree with you here
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #52 (permalink)

I own plenty of cards that have been a good investment and will remain a good investment.

That being said it is irrelevant until you sell and I am not selling.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I know Booker T card is basically a 1 of 1 so far, but some lucky person must have a stack of those.

I know it is a valuable card, but I don't know if some would pay $4000 or $5000 or whatever simply for bragging rights. Purchasing would be a risk if other cards started coming on the market.
Its a really big if. I know of someone who has a few as well as a few ric flairs and british bulldogs. They will probably not enter the marketplace for a long time. It was discussed recently between myself and a few other bigger collectors of this set that if a booker t did surface for sale it could easily bring $3000 with recent sales of the mysterio being well over $1000 and both of my hardcore haks being in the $2000 range. Im not saying it is worth $5000 by any means but there are factors that play into it. 1. The shear (sp?) Number of set collectors around the world who need it. 2. It is a sellers market due to no supply and big demand. 3. Although others have surfaced for sale throughout the years none of them were inscribed. 4. I have learned to never underestimate how deep the pockets are for collectors of this set. I have had guys spend $1000 in cards then come back a week later and spend another $1000.

Its amazing what an inscription can do to the value of one of these. An average goldberg is 100 to 200 depending on the day. The full signature variant I had became a 400 card just due to him signing his whole name.

Its amazing how riled up we get over this stuff haha
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #54 (permalink)

The market for the cards from these sets is very strong for sure.

The only card I have ever owned from the set was the Bret Hart and I sold it for a small loss about two years ago. It has tripled since then.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #55 (permalink)

I personally think my booker t is worth about $3500. Would I sell it for that? No because where am I going to get another? I cant compare it to a slabbed card because you can keep buying raw copies to replace a sold one with. I never got it as an investment because like someone said very few cards are a positive sure thing investment.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #56 (permalink)

The fact that a wrestling card can command $3,500 is a good thing.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #57 (permalink)

I agree 100%. Its bc we are so passionnate and a niche group of people.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
The market for the cards from these sets is very strong for sure.

The only card I have ever owned from the set was the Bret Hart and I sold it for a small loss about two years ago. It has tripled since then.
I just bought a Bret Hart from the 99 auto set (I paid around $300), It is amazing how his cards have risen in value. I keep waiting for them to level out but they keep climbing. most of the higher priced cards from that set are either SP's (not inserted into packs) or of wrestlers who have passed away and obviously cannot sign anymore. But the Hitman's cards were in packs and he is alive and in good health. I don't know how SP they are but you can typically see at least one all the time on Ebay. But back to my point, its a great example of how wrestling cards have been getting recognition as of late. Also I don't think it hurts that Bret is known internationally.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #59 (permalink)

There are very few sp wcw autos that were pack inserted: Malenko, Alex Wright, Kanyon, and Arn Anderson. The bigger names signed just as many as the rest but they are in pcs and just dont come up for sale as often as commons. Since 2010 I have seen the sting go from 90 to 250, bret hart from 75 to 300, hall from 70 to 250, and hogan from 150 to 400 minimum. I wondered if the leaf set would have any effect on ones like ddp or or buff bagwell but ddp has only increased in value dramatically.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #60 (permalink)

it just goes to show people love seeing actual photos of the wrestlers.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #61 (permalink)

I have been away from the board through the weekend and found some of this dialogue interesting. I know the collectors of the signed wrestling cards is very strong and I think it is great. On the other hand, I would prefer to have the best cards of Americana like an Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan with crossover appeal, etc over a guy like Booker T for the long term. While there is a strong market for the signed cards now, in time I think they may lose some importance if another Booker T comes out and could possibly fall dramatically with just another card or two (I do not know how many people are willing to pay the obscene amount you mentioned but I imagine it is fairly limited). Just as the collector felt burned with Scott Hall and the signing of the cards, you are playing with fire banking on the value of a card being a 1 of 1 when it may not be. Of course, you may not care that the price of the Booker T may plummet and that is more power to you. Even with the rarity I do think that the market for the Booker T is extremely limited although you may have a current outlet to secure a great price for the card. Interesting dynamics all the way around.
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #62 (permalink)

Default Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
Its really not that at all. I have collected wrestling cards for years. I have seen the market rise and fall and rise again. It just seems to me now that collectors are digging really deep to try and find or make value of something sort of trivial and obscure or very very common. That is all. Im not the only wrestling collector who feels this way. Just the only one expressing this side of the opinion. To each their own.
"make value of something sort of trivial is actually how I would sum up the 'value' of that Booker T autographed card" and how the different inscriptions of a signed card would significantly alter the value of some cards from the set. It does appear that some other collectors would disagree with me but that is what is great about the hobby...everyone has a different opinion. In a situation of not knowing the market, I would not pay $50 for that signed Booker T card unless I knew I could flip it for more money. This card is obviously worth more money due to conditions that have been reflected here...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #63 (permalink)

Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #64 (permalink)

Nice looking Andre!

What is bringing the grade down to a PSA 5?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #65 (permalink)

Default blue on upper right

There is an ink smudge on the upper right that came from the magazine.... it is bluish. Other than that it looks great!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
There are very few sp wcw autos that were pack inserted: Malenko, Alex Wright, Kanyon, and Arn Anderson. The bigger names signed just as many as the rest but they are in pcs and just dont come up for sale as often as commons. Since 2010 I have seen the sting go from 90 to 250, bret hart from 75 to 300, hall from 70 to 250, and hogan from 150 to 400 minimum. I wondered if the leaf set would have any effect on ones like ddp or or buff bagwell but ddp has only increased in value dramatically.
I think the popularity of the Leaf Originals set has only increased overall interest and awareness of other older wrestling autographed sets and that is why it has shown no lowering of value and increase in most cases. When they first came out and the market was flooded there was an initial hurt and impact on other autographed sets, but I personally think it has only helped other cards such as the DDP wcw and the wcw set in general. I like the old cards myself so I have room in my collection for both old nostalgic cards and autos, but I personally am an autograph collector and love wrestling autographs in particular. I am glad wrestling cards in general are getting more interest and collectors. Only because of this site have I became aware of most of the cool wrestling cards that are out there. The old Andre cards in particular. And I found out about this site because I was looking for a leaf originals ink listing and hoping to find quantities on them.
ryangeorgelaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #67 (permalink)

I am not banking on the booker t at all. It was not an investment to begin with because of the rarity I wanted it for myself. I essentially paid nothing for it. Im not playing with fire on the value of it at all because I do not intend to sell. There are obviously more of them out there but unless someone is selling then there are none. I have more experience with this set than anyone else on the board. I feel like I am pretty safe in saying that. I know what it would and would not bring.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
I have more experience with this set than anyone else on the board. I feel like I am pretty safe in saying that. I know what it would and would not bring.
ahem.

seriously geoff knows his stuff. id have that booker any day over some of these cards parading in psa slabs. its a no brainer as well.

honestly how the heck is that austin card a 9???? seriously. the centering is way off, it is not even a cut card........how can you even grade edges there??? why is it even graded???

any why is a card from a magazine supposed to bring in $600???? cmon I cannot not be only one thinking this??

what happened to busting a box and hitting the rarest card in the set and then flogging it off to the highest bidder. it seems to me (and this is just my opinion) that lately in the wrestling card world we are trying very very hard to find something....anything........throwing it in a psa slab and claiming it RARE.

base cards, magazines card, hand cut cards, paper cards, its bordering on ridiculous. it really is.

whats next??? i might start getting my LJN wrestling figures bio cards graded and see how i go. seriously.

Last edited by bootan; 06-04-2013 at 03:48 AM.
bootan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #69 (permalink)

Wow I am just blown away at the level of knowledge some of you have for the trading card business.

The 1996 Sports Illustrated For Kids Tiger Woods is one of the more expensive cards in the hobby. It is perforated.

If you cut the edges off of these cards they won't grade.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #70 (permalink)

Well the card was on ebay for a couple hours, and it is gone.

I have been at this a while and have good knowledge on wrestling cards.

I do not think you will see an Austin PSA 10 so this is as good at is gets.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #71 (permalink)

dpeck:

cannot believe that woods card, just checked it out. i honestly did not know that cards like that COULD get graded. so yeah I learnt something there...........

wrestlingcardking:

i have mixed feelings. envy for you the seller, who sold that card for $600 and pity for the bloke who bought it.......that austin "card" sold in a lot of like 16 for $20 just last month. the centering looked just as good as the one above.

still in my opinion, i wouldnt even touch those cards either of them................this card hobby is just nuts. I mean those perforated cards, you use to tear them off of eachother right?? they would come in a page and you would have to tear them off............they were more like paper. how are they cards???

anyways whats next??? i might go looking for some wrestling stickers I have put away or postcards.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #72 (permalink)

Bootan you are drastically under estimating how tough perforated cards are.

In pursuit of the early Triple H cards I bought quite a few WWF magazine perforated cards. Out of 300 plus cards there are less then 10 that would grade high and most of those have little or no potential.

The hardest thing to deal with is surface issues like a wrinkle, a paper tear, or a crease.

If a card has a wrinkle that you can barely see it will grade a maximum of a 5 or 6 depending on the other attributes of the card

I personally look everyday for the Steve Austin card and I have only been lucky once and snagged one in a complete set. I promise you it won't grade mint.

There is a lot of interest in high grade early cards of the top stars and I am not surprised at all at how well this card did.

Searching for raw examples to grade is not easy. You may end up buying a ton of a card and still not end up with the condition you are looking for. Clearly there is mark up here but it is no different in any genre of trading cards.

I bought over 35 sets of the OPC WWF Series II looking for a PSA 10 Randy Savage. If I had to analyze where I stand on that card I am clearly in a loss with the amount I had to spend looking for that one card.

In my sub to PSA I hit #18 Diamond Studd in a PSA 9. This is going to be a super tough card in high grade. In the large number of sets I purchased over the past few months this is the only one I found with strong centering. If I chose to sell it someone else wouldn't have to deal with the cost associated with the discovery.

You are going to continue to see more and more of this type of activity in the wrestling card market. The next big hit from this set will be the Cactus Jack. When one of those pops up it will do well too.

Whoever bought the card I am sure it will make a nice addition to their collection and at this time they have the only known mint example.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardki View Post
Well the card was on ebay for a couple hours, and it is gone.

I have been at this a while and have good knowledge on wrestling cards.

I do not think you will see an Austin PSA 10 so this is as good at is gets.
Just from a collecting stand point, can you give us a rough idea on what the Austin Card sold for? To me a wrestling card not from the 82/83 all star set and not signed, still bringing in money is a big deal to the wrestling card community. This could help erase a lot of talk that wrestling cards can't hold their own.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #74 (permalink)

Default Austin

$600 was the sell price
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardki View Post
$600 was the sell price
Wow, I am glad you got your full asking price. We might not ever see another 9 Mint version of the card. I think we might look back on that card a few years from now and say that 600 was a bargain. I have seen raw versions that might grade at a 7 sell for over 100. Who would of ever thought a wrestling card from 1993 would sell for that much? I am kind of surprised that you didn't get a whole set graded and stick it on the registry, that would of given you some bragging rights