Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I can't even imagine how many cards you have to send in. I know one day I am going to wake up and check the population and report and see a lot of new nice cards hit.

Somewhere in a closet in Georgia are a lot of nice wrestling all stars that will find their way to Newport Beach......
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #52 (permalink)

Dpeck or anyone else know if the wrestlers back in the day got paid for rights to use their image on these cards.

I know on set of hockey Fleer throwbacks from early 2000's some of the guys never got paid and refuse to sign cards from the set .

Anybody ever have wrestler refuse to sign his All Stars card? Doesn't Hogan now charge a premium to sign his.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
Dpeck or anyone else know if the wrestlers back in the day got paid for rights to use their image on these cards.

I know on set of hockey Fleer throwbacks from early 2000's some of the guys never got paid and refuse to sign cards from the set .

Anybody ever have wrestler refuse to sign his All Stars card? Doesn't Hogan now charge a premium to sign his.
Dpeck would probably know for sure about his, but I heard from a fellow collector and friend recently who is getting one of the old official Eagle winged belts done here soon that Hogan now wants $350 to sign one of the All Stars. That could be just rumor, but that is what I was told.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
Dpeck would probably know for sure about his, but I heard from a fellow collector and friend recently who is getting one of the old official Eagle winged belts done here soon that Hogan now wants $350 to sign one of the All Stars. That could be just rumor, but that is what I was told.
I am not positive but after speaking to a few people I don't think they did. I spoke to Jim Cornette a few times on the phone about the photos he took and he said Norman Keitzer ran a very low cost operation. I believe he was paid a small flat fee and that was it. I believe the wrestlers were thrilled to be in the magazines as it increased exposure and that was payment enough. If not it was very small.

I have heard word Hogan wants $250 to sign the card. When I went over to Clearwater for the grand opening of the Hogan's Beach Shop and got three signed, I knew he was thinking he should get more to sign these. I asked him if he knew it was his rookie card and he said yes. They were charging $500 for belts that day and so for the $50 fee at the time I can see why he wants more. I am not sure if he will get many bites to sign at the higher price he wants but you never know. I would think something in the $125 range would get people interested.

No one that I know of won't sign the cards. This may change some day. I know the wrestlers at the conventions are getting more hip to these cards. There are a few wrestlers that are alive that won't sign in general. I know that Killer Kahn won't sign. Antonio Inoki won't sign in most cases. Bob Sweetan is no where to be found after all of the issues he has had. Let Thornton has vanished. There are others too.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #55 (permalink)

show those signed Hogans off.

I know on PSA board someone has a few of these All Star Hogans signed in his real name Terry Bollea. Those have to be very rare
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:

I know on PSA board someone has a few of these All Star Hogans signed in his real name Terry Bollea. Those have to be very rare

I have three at PSA now. I uploaded a few pics of some of my cards on the wall and will post them to the thread and you can see four others in one of the cases.

Greg has really gotten into the Terry Bolea signature and has a good number of those with Hogan on the All Stars.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
I have three at PSA now. I uploaded a few pics of some of my cards on the wall and will post them to the thread and you can see four others in one of the cases.

Greg has really gotten into the Terry Bolea signature and has a good number of those with Hogan on the All Stars.
Do you know if he charges extra to sign that way or if he will do it by special request for the same price?
Old 12-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #58 (permalink)

I took some photos of some of my cards and figures. I wanted to add them to the thread.

Over the past few years I have bought the figures and the ring for display. It turns out I got a great deal on the ring for $220 as sealed rings are selling for over $400. I am sure a few have cringed reading many of these are cracked out but I try and buy beat up backer cards if possible so the sealed value is not as high.

Here are the photos.

Last edited by dpeck100; 12-27-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #59 (permalink)

i think Hogan was paid a premium to have that inscription on the all star card....
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
Do you know if he charges extra to sign that way or if he will do it by special request for the same price?

I don't believe Hogan likes to sign this way and he did it by special request. Greg is in tight with him and has had some back stage signings.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #61 (permalink)

That first photo with the old ring and figures really brings back memories. Did any of you guys have the old wooden, ( I think it was wood anyways) AWA ring from back in say 1985? I remember I got it because my parents were cheap and it was cheaper than the WWF one. I had most of those figures that I scored at a garage sale, but played in my wooden ring.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't believe Hogan likes to sign this way and he did it by special request. Greg is in tight with him and has had some back stage signings.
Does Greg post here?

I was looking on PSA site for pics of them but can't find them. Can you post a link to where they are. Look really cool and sure they would sell for a nice premium. Would be interesting to see story on them and how Hogan reacted when he signed them in his real name. Only time I've ever seen him sign like that. Even Leaf hasn't gotten him to sign that way as of yet that I know of.

Nice display Dpeck of your vault. You worry much about auto cards being out in light?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #63 (permalink)

Here is his thread. He has a great collection.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=873694&highlight_key=y&keyword1=80%27s

Last edited by dpeck100; 12-28-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Does Greg post here?

I was looking on PSA site for pics of them but can't find them. Can you post a link to where they are. Look really cool and sure they would sell for a nice premium. Would be interesting to see story on them and how Hogan reacted when he signed them in his real name. Only time I've ever seen him sign like that. Even Leaf hasn't gotten him to sign that way as of yet that I know of.

Nice display Dpeck of your vault. You worry much about auto cards being out in light?

This room is fairly well sheltered from the light. I only turned it on that bright to take the pics. These cases are said to be UV Ray proof. I have had them on the wall for a while and no issues. I will definitely say early on I was concerned but I feel comfortable now.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is his thread. He has a great collection.

Collectors Universe Forums - For those 1980's Wrestling fans
yes he has one of sickest auto collection I've seen. Studd, Adonis, Killer Kahn, ect. That Jerry Lawler letter/note in PSA/DNA slab is one of coolest item I've seen. That is pure Memphis wrestling gold.
I may have missed them but I didn't see Hogan 82 All Star cards in that thread with his real name, he does have it on another item that is really cool. If anyone has the time look at all 5 pages of that thread, some ultra rare autos for sure.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
yes he has one of sickest auto collection I've seen. Studd, Adonis, Killer Kahn, ect. That Jerry Lawler letter/note in PSA/DNA slab is one of coolest item I've seen. That is pure Memphis wrestling gold.
I may have missed them but I didn't see Hogan 82 All Star cards in that thread with his real name, he does have it on another item that is really cool. If anyone has the time look at all 5 pages of that thread, some ultra rare autos for sure.
I will keep looking. Here is potentially his best thread.

Collectors Universe Forums - Post your best Andre the Giant card or auto - wrestling
Old 12-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #67 (permalink)

I can't seem to find it. I know he has them as I have seen them in email. I thought they were added to the thread but are obviously not. He had Hogan sign as Hulk and Terry on the same card.

His collection is awesome!!! Greg is the guy who helped me get the two Dusty Rhodes cards signed at the show he was at a few months ago.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #68 (permalink)

I know I saw them 1982 Hogan/ terry Boela All Stars posted somewhere on PSA site and can't find them either. Didn't he have a couple and had both signatures on them?
Wonder if he got them in PSA slabs.

Cool he got Dusty sign a couple cards for Dpeck. Isn't Dusty pretty tough and doesn't do many signings or ends up no showing them. Did he say how Dusty was at signing he went to.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:

I posted some of my wrestling all stars in PSA DNA flips from 8/27 and Knapp chimed in with scans of his Hogans with Terry Bollea.... should not be too hard to find the thread.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardki View Post
I posted some of my wrestling all stars in PSA DNA flips from 8/27 and Knapp chimed in with scans of his Hogans with Terry Bollea.... should not be too hard to find the thread.

Thanks for the heads up Rob.

Collectors Universe Forums - Wrestling All Stars (103 of 108 Autos) 83 in RED FLIPS, 1 BLUE (1982 A COMPLETE)!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #71 (permalink)

That is a awesome thread. Some real beauties in that one. Great collection wrestlingcardking. Of the still living guys in 82-83 wrestling all stars would be interesting to figure out who are the hardest to track down and get autos from.
Here is that sick Hogan dual signed that KNAPP on psa boards own. Probably never see another one like it. Try and copy and paste pic for people here to see....

Wonder if he plans on ever getting it slabbed. That signed PSA 8 in your collection cardking is amazing. That has to be highest graded auto Hogan from the set.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a awesome thread. Some real beauties in that one. Great collection wrestlingcardking. Of the still living guys in 82-83 wrestling all stars would be interesting to figure out who are the hardest to track down and get autos from.
Here is that sick Hogan dual signed that KNAPP on psa boards own. Probably never see another one like it. Try and copy and paste pic for people here to see....

Wonder if he plans on ever getting it slabbed. That signed PSA 8 in your collection cardking is amazing. That has to be highest graded auto Hogan from the set.

There is actually a PSA 9 that is signed in the pop report. No clue who owns it.

http://www.psacard.com/pop/Detail.aspx?c=54191

The signed cards you can see in one of the frames were three BGS 9 crack outs and one 8.5. I am not sure what grade they would receive from PSA but the one with the dot next to his head has the best centering and is sharp.

The three others I have at PSA are in one of my videos with many other signed cards.

I am sure Greg plans to get them authenticated. He said Hogan's wasn't all that keen on signing that way and it took some negotiating. He has a number of those signed and said he plans to try and get more.

The signed Wrestling All Stars set is such a fascinating one as many of the wrestlers in the 80's had to stay in character and with so many premature deaths and lack of availability of the cards many didn't get signed.

I am not certain where I referenced it at but one guy in particular is Bob Sweetan who is not going to be an easy one to get.

This is from a wrestling message board.

Linden Walker - July 09th, 2009 21:12 GMT

I had no idea about this until a few months ago, but apparently Bob Sweetan was deported to Canada after being arrested in Texas for molesting his daughter.

He's a registered sex offender and the report is available on-line.

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...earchType=Name

There are plenty of others with no interest in signing like Killer Kahn. Just for the heck of it I will go count how many are no longer alive and post it to the thread.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #73 (permalink)

I just ran through the three checklists and there are at least 32 who are dead. There might be a few more I missed.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #74 (permalink)

i counted 30 wrestlers from the set that are deceased....
Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #75 (permalink)

82 A 10 dead

82 B 10 dead

83 12 dead