Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I think at one time (late 1990's?) the owner sold their remaining inventory to Wrestle Prints (correct me if I'm wrong), who sold the sets, and later singles, on their website.

Norman Keitzer sold all of his remaining inventory of magazines and the rights to the photos to Wrestleprints.com. The cards were just thrown in. I am not sure exactly when it took place.

If you look at the dates of the magazines, the 1983 set was released around June of that year and that is right around the time that Vince Jr. decided to make his own programs and The Wrestling News was no longer hired to make them for the WWF. This was when his business began to slide and the primary reason I believe you see so many more sealed 83 sets.

At one point you could buy select singles from the 1982 A from their website and sealed sets of the 1983 set. They are no longer listed and Brian who is the owner has sold most of his sealed sets. Every once in a while you see an 83 set listed. I have only been checking the web for the cards for five years so I am not sure if they offered sets of the others prior to that.

At one point in late 2009 and into 2010 an EBAY seller by the name of Jerome from Minn. had sets for sale and he got them back in 1982 from a person who worked for The Wrestling News. He tried selling them at shows but people laughed and offered him a buck so he put them away for a long time and pulled them out and sold them all.

I know a collector who has amassed five sealed sets of the 1982 A so you never really know what is out there. When I first sent in cards to PSA to get graded there was less then 30 cards from all three sets in the population totals. Today that number is 3,958.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
Norman Keitzer sold all of his remaining inventory of magazines and the rights to the photos to Wrestleprints.com. The cards were just thrown in. I am not sure exactly when it took place.

If you look at the dates of the magazines, the 1983 set was released around June of that year and that is right around the time that Vince Jr. decided to make his own programs and The Wrestling News was no longer hired to make them for the WWF. This was when his business began to slide and the primary reason I believe you see so many more sealed 83 sets.

At one point you could buy select singles from the 1982 A from their website and sealed sets of the 1983 set. They are no longer listed and Brian who is the owner has sold most of his sealed sets. Every once in a while you see an 83 set listed. I have only been checking the web for the cards for five years so I am not sure if they offered sets of the others prior to that.

At one point in late 2009 and into 2010 an EBAY seller by the name of Jerome from Minn. had sets for sale and he got them back in 1982 from a person who worked for The Wrestling News. He tried selling them at shows but people laughed and offered him a buck so he put them away for a long time and pulled them out and sold them all.

I know a collector who has amassed five sealed sets of the 1982 A so you never really know what is out there. When I first sent in cards to PSA to get graded there was less then 30 cards from all three sets in the population totals. Today that number is 3,958.
Very interesting, it sounds like you have done a bunch of investigating. I wonder if anyone would ever write a book about the 82/83 all star sets? It is really the first pure wrestling card set that was and wasn't mass produced, if that makes any sense. It is not nearly as common as the 85 WWF Topps set (this coming from the owner of the #1 85 set on the registry).

The story of the guy trying to sell sealed sets at shows and people laughing at him shows you how close minded, with the exception of top collectors, the big 3 market is. I still meet people today that tell me about the WCW Topps autos they had that they sold for a few dollars because "wrestling cards are not worth anything". Years from now people will look back on the sets we are building now and they will wish they would of had a chance to get a sealed all star set or find some early 90's sealed Merlin packs.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Sjim8660/library/?sort=3&page=0
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #128 (permalink)

I am not sure if anyone would write a book or not.

The primary reason I am building my site is to help tell the story of one of the greatest trading cards sets ever made.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardki View Post
I believe the hot competition now is for the 1983 wrestling all stars.......hence the reference to Iron Mike Sharpe and Rocky Johnson.
And let's not forget Tiger Mask....
BROKENSOUL6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #130 (permalink)

Auctions prices from early May of this year:

$1,580.00 - Wrestling All Stars Cards Set A 1982 Mint Sealed Andre Hogan WWF NWA WWE AWA
$736.00 - Wrestling All Stars Cards Set B 1982 Mint Sealed WWF NWA WWE AWA
$338.00 - Wrestling All Stars Cards Set A 1983 Mint Sealed WWF NWA WWE AWA
Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #131 (permalink)

I added loads of new content tonight to the site.

Check it out if you want to see lots of the photos used for the cards and the various order forms.

Home
Old 07-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #132 (permalink)

I got quite a few programs in the mail today and need to scan quite a bit of new content.

These were some of my favorite artifacts and scanned a few in and uploaded them to my site tonight.

This is the first time I have seen the complete photo used for the Jesse Ventura card. You have got to love those pants!

I have never seen this variation of the order with all of the others I have showcasing Tommy Rich instead. I hope to continue to find more.

I got a handful of programs that were similar just different weeks with essentially the same content and this was in a few. There are several variations and I will be adding them soon. The first has the Rocky Johnson photo and the second the Captain Lou Albano.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #133 (permalink)

DISPUTED!!! So imagine this in Classic WWF Howard Finkle Voice, "The Winner and NEW 83 WRESTLING ALL STARS WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!".........with words i can not describe how defeated i felt when Dpeck got to his PSA 10 Gino Hernandez before it hit ebay, I was CRUSHED, for the 1st time since i started the Wrestling All Star Journey i didn't see ANY way to win....but that move, that move....was the KEY. I was playing checkers...but after the Gino, i realized you was playing Chess....Well CHECKMATE - with all much, much, much Due Respect, Mr Peck! Like When Ric Flair 1st came into WWF w/ the Big Gold Belt, I am the REAL WORLD CHAMPION!

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through

And we mean to go on and on and on and on

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the World

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune
And everything that goes with it
I thank you all
But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before
The whole human race
And I ain't gonna lose

Till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers

Till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions
Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #134 (permalink)

WOW^^^^......

Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #135 (permalink)

What happens in the event of a tie?!?

Will Dpeck retain the 1983 badge by default?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
What happens in the event of a tie?!?

Will Dpeck retain the 1983 badge by default?
they should both get the badge. At least that is what they do with other sets.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #137 (permalink)

hey, I'm not playing for a tie,,,,this isn't the world cup.....no holds barred lights out steel cage death match! soon....there will be no tie, and then....im coming for the NEXT one!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #138 (permalink)

How will DPeck respond to this? Only time will tell, and if there is no response, then well, I can see how the steel cage match is going to play out..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKENSOUL6900 View Post
DISPUTED!!! So imagine this in Classic WWF Howard Finkle Voice, "The Winner and NEW 83 WRESTLING ALL STARS WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!".........with words i can not describe how defeated i felt when Dpeck got to his PSA 10 Gino Hernandez before it hit ebay, I was CRUSHED, for the 1st time since i started the Wrestling All Star Journey i didn't see ANY way to win....but that move, that move....was the KEY. I was playing checkers...but after the Gino, i realized you was playing Chess....Well CHECKMATE - with all much, much, much Due Respect, Mr Peck! Like When Ric Flair 1st came into WWF w/ the Big Gold Belt, I am the REAL WORLD CHAMPION!

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through

Till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune
And everything that goes with it
I thank you all
But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before
The whole human race
And I ain't gonna lose

Till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers

Till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #139 (permalink)

There is not much to say. I am down in South Beach with my wife partying.

Graben has amassed a great collection and it is very impressive.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
There is not much to say. I am down in South Beach with my wife partying.

Graben has amassed a great collection and it is very impressive.
I agree, just playing with you, and in reality I think it means your collection is all the more impressive. Having someone go after it themselves is a good thing for the cards you are holding on to right now.
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #141 (permalink)

A collector friend went to the NWA Legends FanFest in NC this past weekend and got quite a few auto's for me. My stack is getting pretty big and I have 65 that at some point I will send in to PSA.

Unfortunately the wrestler I wanted to get a signed card from the most had to miss the show do to health issues. I am hoping that Harley Race makes a recovery and I can get to the two cards I sent signed by him.

Here are some of the better one's I got done at the show.

When I talked to Jim Cornette on the phone I mentioned I had his rookie card and it was the 1995 WWF Magazine card. He said no my first card was in the 80's and only my racket is on it. I figured out which one it was and sent him a scan and he said yep that is it. I wanted to get one signed and I think this one turned out great.

I already have one slabbed Dusty in a red flip PSA 8 and wanted to add some more. I sold my PSA 7.

It is so sad what kind of condition Bobby Heenan is in. It is just shocking to see the photos of him.

I always liked Lex Luger from when he got hot in Florida in the mid 80's but he took a major step down in my book after what happened with Miss. Elizabeth.

I already have a Magnum TA 1988 Wonderama in a PSA slab but wanted his rookie signed too.

This was the best of the three auto's I got from Paul Orndorff. Apparently he was in a hurry to get out and my friend did the best he could. He too is in rough shape after throat cancer.

Tommy Rich was big in Georgia and won the NWA Heavyweight Title for a very brief stint from Harley Race.

I have watched the match in Madison Sqaure Garden between the Superfly and Don Muraco so many times. One of my favorites.

This is the OPC version but one of the coolest shots on any wrestling card you can find. I was thrilled to find the program from this night and add it to my site.

Growing up in Florida I got to see Barry Windham on TV every week around for a few years. His dad Black Jack Mulligan and his brother Kendall were some of the top faces of Championship Wrestling from Florida. I consider this his rookie card.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #142 (permalink)

Here are some more recent additions.

I was excited to get this one signed. My dad used to go to the matches at the Eddie Graham Sports Stadium and sat in the first or second row every time. Mr. Wrestling II used to wrestle under the name of Johnny Walker and my dad saw his arm get broken right in front of him. He used to say "I was there the night that Buddy Colt broke the arm of Johnny Walker". He threw him into the ring post the and the arm snapped in half right in front of them.

1988 NWA Wonderama Barry Windham

It is Vader Time!!!!

Ricky Morton who was also pictured with Ken Lucas who just passed away.

I think this is a very cool card and would love to try and put one together of the Rockers are their Market Scene card.

The Soul Man Rocky Johnson

Carlos Colon from Puerto Rico

Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #143 (permalink)

Here are some Hogan order forms!!!!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #144 (permalink)

There have been loads of photos added to the site.

Last week I sent in some cards to PSA. They got logged quickly and now the waiting game.

I have 135 cards there.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #145 (permalink)

Hopefully there is a PSA 9 or 10 "Fabulous Moolah" card in there somewhere.
SumoMenkoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoMenkoMan View Post
Hopefully there is a PSA 9 or 10 "Fabulous Moolah" card in there somewhere.
That would be nice!

I think I sent one in but it is probably a 7 or an 8.

I do have some very sharp cards in the batch. I opened five or six sealed sets and a few were really strong.

If I could advance my sets by one card I would be thrilled!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #147 (permalink)

Why is the card so hard in high grade?
SumoMenkoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #148 (permalink)

I have an BGS 8.5 Moolah

2 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoMenkoMan View Post
Why is the card so hard in high grade?

The Moolah card has anything and everything that can go wrong with a trading card working against it.

It is off centered many times. Terrible print on the card. There is a streak on loads of the cards that runs across her face that looks like a light reflection.

Any finally, the corners like all of the cards are hard to keep from having white on them. A touch of white and unless it is a perfect card it is grading an 8.

I own the 9PD but it is really a PSA 7.

My best PSA 8 is a Gem Mint card with a tiny white nik on the left side.

The other monster in that set is The Chrusher.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #150 (permalink)

Crusher is the bottom card right?

Quote:
The Moolah card has anything and everything that can go wrong with a trading card working against it.

It is off centered many times. Terrible print on the card. There is a streak on loads of the cards that runs across her face that looks like a light reflection.

Any finally, the corners like all of the cards are hard to keep from having white on them. A touch of white and unless it is a perfect card it is grading an 8.

I own the 9PD but it is really a PSA 7.

My best PSA 8 is a Gem Mint card with a tiny white nik on the left side.

The other monster in that set is The Chrusher.

2 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote