Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #26 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity who else owns a sketch out there? I have not seen a lot of them that I haven't went after and I am just curious what else has been pulled. I haven't really seen any of the major names such as Graham, or Sammartino, or Bret Hart, Hall, Hogan, Flair, Nash, etc... But there are a lot of guys I haven't seen, Beefcake, Valentine etc... I am wondering if there were sketches inserted for everyone or if there were only say 50 sketches put out or something.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

I haven't seen Dan Severn or Ken Shamrock artwork.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have a Tito, I believe it's the base version
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

Someone on here redeemed a Flair.. Can't remember their username off the top of my head but almost positive it was unsigned
-Kobe & Kevin Garnett Autos, Inserts & Graded cards
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
Recently picked one up just to say I had one, but not sure what to make of them in person. (Not to mention one never knows with Leaf how firm that "1/1" really is). For those who haven't seen one, the color card picture that accompanies the sketch when you see one listed on Ebay is literally just a piece of stray paper not connected to the 1/1 sketch card in any physical way. In fact mine doesn't move in the oversized top loader I received so I am assuming its for display purposes only and came that way from Leaf. The actual sketch card is not made of the same stock as the cards and is a little flimsy but maybe that's common for original artwork "cards"?? Condition wise they seem a little "handled" for lack of a better term and certainly would not grade a 8 to 10 on the PSA scale if my sketch is any indication. I suppose that makes sense in that the "cards" were an actual "card" someone was elaborately drawing on, but it caught me a little by surprise (assuming mine is representative of the set) that these were not closer to mint/gem mint.

Overall I'd say its a nice have if you are super collecting one guy, but like the plates I personally wouldn't go out of my way to get one of a guy I didn't particularly like or master set these. Any one else have opinions on these? Oh by the way the one I got was the Jake Roberts alternate image card signed by Jake and the artist.
You got that Jake Sketch from me, and yes that was the EXACT way they came from leaf. I felt the same way about it you seem to, it's ....OK, but i wouldn't search them out.
BROKENSOUL6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #31 (permalink)

I got two packages in the mail today that both greatly improved my Jake Roberts Alternate Art collection. Thanks again Bullingham, and indirectly BROKENSOUL6900. On a side note I am loving the graded Flair Printing plate I got recently. I didn't know who it was from but I think I owe a thank you to Brokensoul for that one as well.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 07-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I got two packages in the mail today that both greatly improved my Jake Roberts Alternate Art collection. Thanks again Bullingham, and indirectly BROKENSOUL6900. On a side note I am loving the graded Flair Printing plate I got recently. I didn't know who it was from but I think I owe a thank you to Brokensoul for that one as well.
How many sketches are you up to now? I wonder how many are left unredeemed. Oh, and how in the world do you grade corners on a printing plate?
Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley2 View Post
How many sketches are you up to now? I wonder how many are left unredeemed. Oh, and how in the world do you grade corners on a printing plate?
I am up to eight sketches. I have made it my mission lately to try to trade for or purchase every one that I can. I love the sketches myself and love the idea of owning 1/1s. I think it is because before this set I never personally owned a 1/1 before. Since this set I have 27 serial numbered 1/1s and 31 printing plates and have been trying to acquire as many as I can.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I am up to eight sketches. I have made it my mission lately to try to trade for or purchase every one that I can. I love the sketches myself and love the idea of owning 1/1s. I think it is because before this set I never personally owned a 1/1 before. Since this set I have 27 serial numbered 1/1s and 31 printing plates and have been trying to acquire as many as I can.
I guess we will never know for sure, but I don't think that they released sketches for each card based on what I have seen, and there are probably many more that have yet to be redeemed. I know that I didn't pull any out of a couple of cases. I think you have a pretty good chuck of the sketches already.
Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #35 (permalink)

Very nice Jake Roberts collection. They sketch with plate looks cool. Cards look so nice in BGS holders. That is amazing the plate got a grade of 9.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

Here are mine. I will pay quite a bit for the 2nd HBK.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

I love the Mean Gene sketch.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #38 (permalink)

Latest score:

Old 08-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

I have the Brutus Beefcake
sdbballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbballa View Post
I have the Brutus Beefcake
Which art work is it, base or alternate? The alternate is more of a close up head shot.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

I wanted to post a better pick of this one. It's really pretty sweet in person. Nice signature on it.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
Here are mine. I will pay quite a bit for the 2nd HBK.

was mean gene removed from the set too??
i know hbk was

also would be cool if u get hbk to sign it at some appearance .. not sure if mean gene does signings like former/current wrestlers
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Here's it is

sdbballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #44 (permalink)

Nice, I like it. I don't know if others like the sketches as much as I do but I am a big fan myself.

I think a point that is missed by many is this set was designed to look like the 1948 leafs which is rather cartoonish. The artist did exactly what he was asked to do and did a pretty damn good job at his task. People complain it isn't realistic enough so now leaf is gonna make the second set more real. I personally am not a fan. The new artworks look good, but they aren't leaf original material. Fancy detailed drawings are already knocked out of the park by sportskings.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 08-10-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #45 (permalink)

Bidding on this went higher than I had hoped personally, but I am happy to say this sketch is now mine and hopefully I will soon be getting it signed. I have the Bruno Sammartino alternate sketch as well and was hoping to get it signed on October 19th at a show in New Jersey, but just found out he is no longer listed to appear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbballa View Post
Here's it is

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 09-29-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #46 (permalink)

What show was Bruno signing at that you were going to get his sketch signed at? Sure he will be doing more.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
What show was Bruno signing at that you were going to get his sketch signed at? Sure he will be doing more.
MAB Celebrity Services - The Greatest: A Hall of Fame Weekend

Here is a link to the show where he was suppose to be at. Ric Flair was advertised to. I noticed that Bruno Sammartino and Ric Flair have disappeared from all of there future signings through the company. Don't know why for sure, but I am a bit disappointed as I was excited to get it signed.