Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leaf Wrestling Artwork 1/1s

Recently picked one up just to say I had one, but not sure what to make of them in person. (Not to mention one never knows with Leaf how firm that "1/1" really is). For those who haven't seen one, the color card picture that accompanies the sketch when you see one listed on Ebay is literally just a piece of stray paper not connected to the 1/1 sketch card in any physical way. In fact mine doesn't move in the oversized top loader I received so I am assuming its for display purposes only and came that way from Leaf. The actual sketch card is not made of the same stock as the cards and is a little flimsy but maybe that's common for original artwork "cards"?? Condition wise they seem a little "handled" for lack of a better term and certainly would not grade a 8 to 10 on the PSA scale if my sketch is any indication. I suppose that makes sense in that the "cards" were an actual "card" someone was elaborately drawing on, but it caught me a little by surprise (assuming mine is representative of the set) that these were not closer to mint/gem mint.

Overall I'd say its a nice have if you are super collecting one guy, but like the plates I personally wouldn't go out of my way to get one of a guy I didn't particularly like or master set these. Any one else have opinions on these? Oh by the way the one I got was the Jake Roberts alternate image card signed by Jake and the artist.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Personally I am a fan and was jealous/engraged lol that you saw the Snake sketch before I did. I do know what you are saying about the conditioning as none of mine would be considered mint by a card standard, but I am a fan of the sketches myself. Some of the drawings in the sets are suspect, but the one sketch in particular I have that I really love is the George The Animal Steele alternate.

If you are disappointed and ever want to part ways with your Snake sketch I have a base plate that can be added to and would gladly take it off your hands
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lol, I thought it was a decent price for a guy like Roberts and don't recall seeing the top guy sketches like Hogan, Hart, Flair, Sammartino and Piper available on Ebay so this was about as high end a guy as I recall on there and jumped on it. I wouldnt say disappointed so much as not as blown away in person as I thought Id be. It's still a nice piece to own though especially if you're a fan of the wrestler you have and you collect the set in general. I might decide to part with it at some point if I see a card I really need or like more but for at least now I think Ill hold on to it. If I change my mind Ill be sure to contact you though Ryan.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would love to see one in person. I would love to have the Tatanka one just a dream but oh well lol
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Would love to see a pic of it!
APAbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a photo of the jake artwork
Attached Thumbnails
Leaf Wrestling Artwork 1/1s-image.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very nice, saw that one when it was listed. What are the dimensions of the sketches anyways? I was thinking they were 8x10s but doesn't sound that way with how you described it.
-Kobe & Kevin Garnett Autos, Inserts & Graded cards
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

that is an awesome sketch. I wold love to have one of these. Jake the snake was the best behind the mic to bad for the drugs
Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is by far one of the better pieces in the set. Jakes auto is bold and large. I would keep that for a while.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I believe the dimensions are 4x6, so no, not an 8x10. I do like the artwork on the Jake alternate, one of the better depictions done in a set that had its ups and downs in so far as the accuracy of the art. The alternate arts in general I think are the better looking cards with a few notable exceptions (honky tonk man and Paul orndorff in particular I think are guys who's base art looks way closer to the memory I have of each guy)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Very cool piece. Thanks for sharing.
APAbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
That is by far one of the better pieces in the set. Jakes auto is bold and large. I would keep that for a while.
Bad advice... You want to trade this, and soon lol. I'm jk. Niece piece, the Jake Roberts alternate is a lot better artwork than the base and he has one of the nicer signatures. Glad you got it.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

sjim8660 have you received your Hacksaw sketch that you pulled the redemption for? If so I would like to see a picture sometime if you get a chance. You may have posted it elsewhere, but if so I missed it.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

I am not sure if it is wise of me or not, but I personally love the sketches and just reached an agreement on the Hillbilly Jim Alternate sketch. This is sketch #6 for me.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

I will post a pic of the Duggan art. Its nice but he did not sign the art so maybe I can meet him someday and get his sig.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Damn that is a shame he didn't sign it. I guess I just assumed that he did. All of the ones that I have gotten have been signed except for the Missy Hyatt. I figured she is just too drunk/stoned whatever to be reliable to get it signed, but I am surprised the Duggan isn't. Still a cool piece though. Good luck on getting it signed down the road.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Was nice Leaf offered these up. They are not supposed to be in mint shape. The more wear the better on them. They were handled and used by artist.

Would be cool if in next series they offer them up again.
Still surprised no one has confirmed artist yet. Leaf left big clues on who it was. They have done work for WWE in past. I'm not in art circle. Sure name has to be out or easy to figure out. Still think Kong takes too much heat for his work on this set. Some of the work was very good. A few stinkers, bit a lot were pretty good. Was also great Leaf let out the ones of guys who didn't get in final release. Like Mean Gene, Terry Funk, HBK. Were their any others.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Just showed up in today's mail. I wish it was the base so he had his pimp chain on, but I like it nonetheless.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 07-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Has any one seen the Dan Severn art cards?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Has any one seen the Dan Severn art cards?
I personally haven't seen any of the Severn arts. But I have seen ALOT more blacks that artwork in general. I don't know if that is just because of the redemption part of it, or if maybe that there aren't sketches for every wrestler.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Very happy to announce my acquisition of the Jake the Snake Roberts alternate sketch, thanks Bullingham.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
Very happy to announce my acquisition of the Jake the Snake Roberts alternate sketch, thanks Bullingham.
Congrats that is a great pick up
Old 07-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Probably happier than I should be, but I just closed the deal on the Kamala Alternate Art Sketch. This is probably my favorite art of the whole leaf originals set and I am very pleased to get the sketch.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have one of the hbks. I will pay very well for the other. I think it's in australia.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
I have one of the hbks. I will pay very well for the other. I think it's in australia.
If you could post a scan of the HBK sometime it would be awesome