Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wrestling All Stars back from BGS

It was love at first site for this set and I. Picked up the 82 Series A off Ebay a while back and decided to send a few in to get graded. It was my first ever sending cards off and I couldn't be happier with they way they look in the cases. Even thinking about going for the other sets in the series. If I can't pick up the complete sets, singles like Curt Henning, Jimmy Valiant, Jake Roberts will get bought up for sure.

Special shout-out to dpeck for all the questions I bombarded him about the series and cards in general.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrestling All Stars back from BGS-dsc_0005.jpg  

6 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.

Last edited by gentlevader; 07-07-2013 at 09:06 AM.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

good grade on the andre and the flair
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks man. I do like the Flair really well. Especially living here in North Carolina. Met Ivan, Ric, and Jimmy Valiant quite a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyahlaw View Post
good grade on the andre and the flair

6 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice grades on the Koloff and the Moolah, those are pretty tough. This set is an award winner this year so that is awesome that you have it.
wrestlingcardki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice work!

You can't stop with just the 82A you got to get them all!

Having cards encased in holders is great because you can actually handle them and showcase them if you choose to.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingcardki View Post
Nice grades on the Koloff and the Moolah, those are pretty tough. This set is an award winner this year so that is awesome that you have it.
Thanks appreciate it. I was one when this set came out but collected baseball when I was a kid. I also had some older wrestling but never had heard about this set until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
Nice work!

You can't stop with just the 82A you got to get them all!

Having cards encased in holders is great because you can actually handle them and showcase them if you choose to.
Agreed! I have been looking at a couple auctions with the sealed sets and might pick one up.

So right about being able to display them. For this being my first time to grade I never knew what to expect. Now I see why people send cards off!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Grading is such a funny thing in that nowadays even if you know the card is unaltered/authentic and can accurately predict the grade, there's a strange almost insatiable urge to have the card(s) graded anyway even if you have no immediate desire to sell it/them. Nice pickup on the set and grades overall. I don't quite get the whole PSA over Beckett on these cards thing (yes PSA has stricter standards about certain attributes of cards but they also are much more inclined to arbitrarily ignore other attributes and you end up seeing too many over graded 9's and 10's), so in the long run I think you'll be ok.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I actually have no intention of selling and chose to go BGS for one reason...I like the look of the cases better.

Had no clue about what cards grade well or what Beckett looked for in high grades. Don't get me wrong, I was excited to see some grade so high and was quite shocked but that's not what drove me to submit them.

Might even go PSA on the next batch and see what I like better. If somone said, "I will trade you a PSA 7 Moolah and some cash for your BGS 8.5 or perhaps some cards from the sets I don't have I would consider it. These sets are awesome and I will end up getting them all in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
Grading is such a funny thing in that nowadays even if you know the card is unaltered/authentic and can accurately predict the grade, there's a strange almost insatiable urge to have the card(s) graded anyway even if you have no immediate desire to sell it/them. Nice pickup on the set and grades overall. I don't quite get the whole PSA over Beckett on these cards thing (yes PSA has stricter standards about certain attributes of cards but they also are much more inclined to arbitrarily ignore other attributes and you end up seeing too many over graded 9's and 10's), so in the long run I think you'll be ok.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

What I like best about Beckett is if you trust the card is authentic/unaltered (there are stories out there that PSA and SGC are slightly better at picking this up, though one never knows how much faith to put in those stories since a lot of people have agendas) you feel much better sleeping at night knowing your card is securely in one of their holders. PSA cards in particular can suffer some serious damage if mishandled or dropped because the cards themselves are so loose and have no protection as they slide around in the holder. One might prefer the look of a PSA or SGC holder, but think a person must be drinking some serious kool aid to at least not admit that in 99.9 percent of cases a BGS case seems to have the best long term potential of preserving a card in the exact same condition the day it was graded.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Almost all of my cards are in sleeves and top loaders. Not sure which company has the best cases and I think it's a matter of opinion really since both of them are better than not having them in one at all.

Quote:
What I like best about Beckett is if you trust the card is authentic/unaltered (there are stories out there that PSA and SGC are slightly better at picking this up, though one never knows how much faith to put in those stories since a lot of people have agendas) you feel much better sleeping at night knowing your card is securely in one of their holders. PSA cards in particular can suffer some serious damage if mishandled or dropped because the cards themselves are so loose and have no protection as they slide around in the holder. One might prefer the look of a PSA or SGC holder, but think a person must be drinking some serious kool aid to at least not admit that in 99.9 percent of cases a BGS case seems to have the best long term potential of preserving a card in the exact same condition the day it was graded.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

There are some 1983 sets on Ebay sealed by the way. I don't know how much either seller wants for them as I had some extra money one night and tried to put in a somewhat low offer to see their best price but got the decline instead of the counter. My only fear at this point would be if there is a reason they haven't busted their sets yet as I can't imagine sitting on those things sealed if you thought it looked like you had a lot of 9s and 10s in there. I assume just by counting cards you can see from the sides any corner issues and the front and back cards are obviously in full view.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I saw some on Ebay also. I am going by a card shop tomorrow to sell a really expensive magic the gathering card I have. If that goes well I will have enough to but both the other sets and have them all graded. Wishful thinking really!

Quote:
There are some 1983 sets on Ebay sealed by the way. I don't know how much either seller wants for them as I had some extra money one night and tried to put in a somewhat low offer to see their best price but got the decline instead of the counter. My only fear at this point would be if there is a reason they haven't busted their sets yet as I can't imagine sitting on those things sealed if you thought it looked like you had a lot of 9s and 10s in there. I assume just by counting cards you can see from the sides any corner issues and the front and back cards are obviously in full view.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

PSA graded Wrestling All Stars do not move in the holder. They have a plastic sleeve inserted in them that holds them in place.

Many PSA graded cards do not have that and do slide around a little in the holder. There are PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle cards with the type of holder you are referencing so I am sure PSA has given your concern some thought.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

I have a sealed 82A and 83 and I am looking to pick up a sealed 82B. I just wanted to have a full run of sealed sets as another extension of the collection.

Opening sealed sets is a crap shoot as many times you will find slightly damaged corners even when they look clean.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

I hear ya on that. I would almost rather buy an open set that might grade in the 7 or 8s then a sealed set you might have a chance of scoring a big hit 9 or 10.

Now that I am done with the big 82 A I am hoping the other sets might be a bit cheaper to pick up. Just looked at the ones on Ebay and they art less than have sealed than one I paid for my set open. Looking better already.

Quote:
I have a sealed 82A and 83 and I am looking to pick up a sealed 82B. I just wanted to have a full run of sealed sets as another extension of the collection.

Opening sealed sets is a crap shoot as many times you will find slightly damaged corners even when they look clean.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I disagree. I had no choice but to bust open my first BGS 9 Andre The Giant as the card was literally warping in the holder. Fortunately I saw it. I put the card in a large book for a two weeks. I contacted BGS and they wouldn't respond so I sent it to PSA and it came back a 7. I cracked it out and sent it in a second time and it got the PSA 8 which it deserved.

From a tamper perspective BGS wins as the slabs can not be put back together.

If you like BGS go that route. The key is being happy with what you own and if that makes you happy then great.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the warning on the Andre. I will keep an eye on mine for sure.

I really do think I am going to send some to PSA and just see which ones I like better.

Quote:
I disagree. I had no choice but to bust open my first BGS 9 Andre The Giant as the card was literally warping in the holder. Fortunately I saw it. I put the card in a large book for a two weeks. I contacted BGS and they wouldn't respond so I sent it to PSA and it came back a 7. I cracked it out and sent it in a second time and it got the PSA 8 which it deserved.

From a tamper perspective BGS wins as the slabs can not be put back together.

If you like BGS go that route. The key is being happy with what you own and if that makes you happy then great.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Wish PSA had thought of that for all it's cards from the very beginning and not just the less than 1 percent Id estimate do have sleeves. There are certain older cards I own and bought that are in PSA holders that I fear ever even picking up due to their value and what I paid to have them in "perfect" condition. No matter what the holder says if my cards do not look like what the holders say they are, I don't want any part of them. Cards just weren't made like they are today and anything on the old cardboard stock in a PSA holder with no internal sleeve around the card is just asking for trouble.

Last edited by bullingham; 07-08-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've handled a lot PSA cards. People can be so anal. Pretty much zero chance you can damage a card in graded holder. Unless you went around like a madman shaking it all day. Then still with small area of possible movement and corners being cut out where no damage could ever happen. Still would take a lot of effort to try and damage a card in case.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

I think there are exceptions to the BGS rule in terms of protection of certain cards, but in general I don't see how anyone could argue with a straight face that PSA cases offer better long term protection than BGS ones. Aside from the loose card issue even sleeved cards in PSA holders are "protected" by PSA's relatively flimsy holder that are extremely thin. Makes for a better space saver but if I had to drop a card in either holder or have a flood I'd much prefer a bgs one. But mostly my issue with PSA aside from the erratic grading is the no sleeve issue as that is no way to protect a card.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Edges in PSA holders on vintage are extremely vulnerable without shaking it like a mad man. Drop a few sometime on a hard floor if you want to tempt fate. My cards don't have to be perfect for the most part, but I want them to remain that way when I paid through the nose for it. Obviously just looking at a PSA card isn't going to do the damage or holding it, but when you're dealing with high end cards you'd like to think an inadvertent slip of the wrist or trip through the mail isn't going to damage your card irreperably. Chipping is a problem on a fair number of PSA cards more so than any other company from my experience so either they can't grade for the life of them or those cards do get damaged a little over the years from moving around in their holders.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

i have a wcw auto of tank abbott in a PSA 10 slab, the thing is the edges show whitening and I think this happened after it has been graded.
Ill only go PSA for vintage cards, no way for my modern wrestling cards, PSA dont even put all their cards in a penny sleeve, this I cannot understand, i just dont get it??????
If my tank was in a penny sleeve, it would of not of got damaged. You get a card graded you would hope it is properly protected.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

heres a few of my wrestling all-stars in bgs slabs, i mainly have mine in PSA slabs because thats the way the market likes it. but like I said above PSA for vintage BGS for modern.

image search
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
PSA graded Wrestling All Stars do not move in the holder. They have a plastic sleeve inserted in them that holds them in place.

Many PSA graded cards do not have that and do slide around a little in the holder
. There are PSA 10 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle cards with the type of holder you are referencing so I am sure PSA has given your concern some thought.
dpeck why is that with PSA?? do you have any idea why some cards have the sleeve and others dont??

all my wrestling all-stars have the sleeve, but everything else PSA i have dont. Im baffled.???
Old 07-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

I am not really sure. I have cards from other sets that do have it and don't. For example the Carnation series some have a little plastic sleeve in there and some don't.

All of the perforated cards I got from the Hurricanes team sets have the sleeve, the Tiger Woods has the sleeve and Wonderama do not.

If I had to guess it is that true standard sized trading cards in most cases don't and other sizes do. The holder that they come in may be the same size but the window if you want to call it that is not.

Here is a link to my photobucket if you want to look through various cards and see the differences.

dpeck100's Library | Photobucket