Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

Will you ever do more than 1 hit a pack? I enjoy many of the cards you put in your sets and pick up singles, but I have a hard time paying the $90 or so for a box with one hit. I enjoy breaking a box once in awhile, but I pass most of the time on sportkings for the fact you only get one hit. Just wondering if a mutltiple hit boxes will ever be in the series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
Check out my Blog.

Unbelievable Memorable Moments and First Class cards.

You will be amazed.

According To Dr. Price | My Personal Views

Brian Price
Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post

I would also add that I think you underutilize the greatest strength of your product, namely its artwork. Instead of having mini cards (which are difficult to store/display), why not have box toppers utilizing the base card artwork. Having brought Jared Kelley aboard, why not utilize him more? In Series E, all you used him for were 1/1 cards, which by definition can only be owned by 1 person at a time. Why not have him do more oversized cards/box toppers (the Memorable Moments is a good start in that direction), or make his regular cards #/5 or #/10 so more people can enjoy them?
Wouldn't that also increase the price, as well as the time it would take for Mr. Kelley to paint 5 or 10x the amount that it does now...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
Wouldn't that also increase the price, as well as the time it would take for Mr. Kelley to paint 5 or 10x the amount that it does now...
Jared created at least 316 different, unique paintings for Series E. I've been told it takes the most time making the first one. If multiples of the same card were made, from the 2nd one on, they'd go faster.

I would guess it would take less time to make 65 different cards with multiples of 5 each, and it would allow a few collectors to attempt to build complete sets while keeping the box price the same.

I like 1/1 cards, but I really like being able to complete sets. Being a master set builder, Sportkings is tough.

Series F will have many nice cards in it...most of which will be 1/1s. If 1/1s add value, then Sportkings is trying to deliver.

Series A had approximately 189 1/1s.
Series B had approximately 320 1/1s.
Series C had approximately 333 1/1s.
Series D had approximately 367 1/1s.
Series E had approximately 949 1/1s!
Series F??? I'm guessing even more, but I could be wrong.

Plus, there are many, many more when counting their nice redemption programs.

So if you like hitting or collecting 1/1s, I believe Sportkings is trying to appeal to you.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

The problem, of course, is that only really really rich people can afford to collect 1/1s. Even the cheapest Jared Kelley cards from Series E were $300+.

What makes Sportkings so unique, and why people collect it, is because of the quality of the base card artwork. The autograph & memorabilia cards are utterly ordinary and no different than anything else in the hobby.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Manufacturer

mfw13 is this more constructive criticism as you mention in a previous post.

Doesn't look like that to me.

Your opinions are your opinions and you are entitled to them and I respect them but when you say "why people collect it" you are speaking for others and there I disagree with your right to do so.

People collect Sportkings for many reasons and when we put in polo players, cricket players, cyclists etc I get hundreds of emails of thanks for doing so.

In an earlier post, I stated what the Sporkings brand is about and I intend to stay true to that concept.

If you have true constructive criticism and advise, just PM me. I would appreciate it, especially if you can help me sign Aaron, Mays, Ewing, Abdul-Jabbar and Erving all of which should not be a problem to do as mentioned in your earlier post.

Waiting for your PM.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Opinions are like @@sholes everyone has one. Personally I cant wait for this to be released. Nice job once again Dr Price.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm pretty much a walking sports encyclopedia, and there are twelve names I have never heard of in Series F (25% of the checklist), which is much higher than any series in the past. And Series E had a much stronger checklist overall than Series F, with far more major sport superstars (Ripken, Griffey, Sandberg, Henderson, Griffey, Hornung, Franco Harris, Sayers, David Robinson, Guy LaFleur, Evander Holyfield, Kyle Petty, Doyle Brunson, Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova).
I'm not a walking sports encyclopedia but I know a great deal about each of the following athletes. I'm guessing at least half of the four athletes below are athletes you haven't heard of:
260 Cambiaso, Adolfo Polo
264 Coppi, Fausto Cycling
275 Gonzalez, Juan Gomez Soccer
276 Granaglia, Umberto Bocce

I am thrilled that a sports card manufacturer even considers the inclusion of these athletes. While there are some athletes on the list I've never heard of, mainly from sports I am not a big follower of (i.e. boxing), I always research all athletes included so I can appreciate their inclusion in Sportkings.
Perhaps, you should research the 12 athletes you have never heard of and add a volume to your encyclopedia.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #33 (permalink)

Harvey57,

I like having some obscure athletes in Sportkings too, but not as many as are in Series F, and not at $90/box.

My bigger point is that at that price, and with that many obscure athletes in the checklist, it greatly increases the odds that most boxes will be money-losers. And I am neither inclined to, or able to afford to, spend $90 on a box when I am almost certain to lose money on it.

I collect Sportkings for the base cards, which I think are the best-looking cards being produced in the hobby today. But given that after release I will be able to buy the complete Series F set for $40-50 on Ebay (although I would much rather be able to build the set myself through buying boxes), why should I spend $90 on a box that is only going to contain four base cards (i.e. 1/12th of the base set) and one "hit" that is more likely than not going to be worth far less than the price of the box?

That's the question I'm trying to get Dr. Price to answer...

My concern, in it's simplest form, is that I think the product is being financially structured to only be affordable to case-rippers (who I view as nothing more than profit-seeeking gamblers/middlemen), rather than the people like me who actually love and collect SportKings, and would like nothing more than to be able to build the base set by ripping a few reasonably priced boxes.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #34 (permalink)

mfw13 you asked for Kirby Puckett who has been dead since the 90s. Give the guy (Dr. Price) a break. They are getting the best athletes they can and delivering a solid product. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
ryangeorgelaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Harvey57,

I like having some obscure athletes in Sportkings too, but not as many as are in Series F, and not at $90/box.

My bigger point is that at that price, and with that many obscure athletes in the checklist, it greatly increases the odds that most boxes will be money-losers. And I am neither inclined to, or able to afford to, spend $90 on a box when I am almost certain to lose money on it.

I collect Sportkings for the base cards, which I think are the best-looking cards being produced in the hobby today. But given that after release I will be able to buy the complete Series F set for $40-50 on Ebay (although I would much rather be able to build the set myself through buying boxes), why should I spend $90 on a box that is only going to contain four base cards (i.e. 1/12th of the base set) and one "hit" that is more likely than not going to be worth far less than the price of the box?

My concern, in it's simplest form, is that I think the product is being financially structured to only be affordable to case-rippers (who I view as nothing more than profit-seeeking gamblers/middlemen), rather than the people like me who actually love and collect SportKings, and would like nothing more than to be able to build the base set by ripping a few reasonably priced boxes.
For the bolded part above....Isn't that any sports box that is available???

If you don't want to spend the money on the box and can get the base set cheaper, then do it...

Obviously, no company can cater to everybody, and with this being Series F, the current business model seems to be working...

I'd like nothing more than to buy boxes at $50 a pop, but realistically, its not feasible with the costs of getting atheletes to sign, as well as paying for top artists...let me guess, if any of these scenarios happened, you'd still be complaining....

1) Lower box price but even more obscure athletes that the walking encyclopedia does not know

2) Higher box price but more popular athletes

3) Same box price, same athletes, but crappy artist that have crummy portraits of the athletes

Just buy your base set off of ebay and be done with it, you're not wanting autographs or memorabilia anyway....

Last edited by Dacubs; 07-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Information about our National Redemption Program posted on my Blog.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
Information about our National Redemption Program posted on my Blog.

Brian Price
The 1/1 Sportkings Spectacular Patch cards look nice, but why don't they picture the athletes?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
For the bolded part above....Isn't that any sports box that is available???
Yes. And that's exactly the problem I'm trying to highlight. Very few products out there right now provide a good price/value ratio on a single box basis because the hobby is not targeting real collectors, i.e. people who might want to buy 2-3 boxes of a product just for fun.

Instead, manufacturers (Sportkings included, I would argue) are constructing their products to target the middlemen (i.e. people who spend thousands of dollars buying large numbers of boxes/cases will the sole purpose of ripping everything and selling the contents back to people like me via Ebay for a profit).

Sportkings for example, is selling at $90/box. At 250 master cases, each containing 48 boxes, you're looking at 12,000 boxes total, and therefore 12,000 "hits". Now given that the four base cards in each box are worth roughly $10-20, the next question is what percentage of those "hits" are going to be worth the $50-75 necessary to make taking the risk of buying a single box or two a reasonable financial proposition. My guess is only 10-20% (probably only the big-name autos, special inserts, and 1/1s).

End point being that the only way it makes financial sense to buy a product structured like this is to buy in high enough volume so as to be able to beat the odds just often enough to break even or make a small profit, something that few individual collectors can afford to do because of the size of the bankroll required. So who ends up buying most of the product? Middlemen. Because they're the only ones who can take the risk and have the bankroll to do so. As much as I'd love to, I certainly can't take the risk of spending $200-300 dollars on a few boxes and getting only $100 worth of cards back (especially when doing so would only get me a small way towards my ultimate goal of completing the set). And I don't think too many other collectors can either.

If you drive away all the collectors, what happens to the hobby when all the gamblers get bored and decide to go gamble on something else?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #39 (permalink)

I still see it as no different marketing wise than anything else...heck, with sportkings, you still have a better chance than with topps, upperdeck or panini...i'll take my 1 in 16 chance at a case hit that is worth 4-5x the box price (and that doesn't even factor in other cards that would sell more than the box price)

if you're buying sportkings for the auto or GU, then just buy singles or the set...why are you trying to make them change it if it works....don't worry, if you are right and they end up driving away the card collectors and such, its their business that will tank and they will adjust their strategy...

easy enough...if you don't like the product, don't buy it...none of the companies will lose sleep over it...at least Dr. Price is willing to listen and explain the difficulties in licensing, but you don't want to hear it...

and I do buy 1-2 boxes of sportkings each release for fun....if I score the big hit, fine, if not, (and there are many times I have not) then you just deal with it like any other product

Last edited by Dacubs; 07-12-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #40 (permalink)

I agree, buying boxes is a great risk, but Sportkings is a great set to pick up singles from dealers who buy cases wholesale to rip and flip.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Harvey57,

You claim to be a "walking sports encyclopedia" and then state you only know 36/48 athletes on the list. Information on all 48 athletes on the list is very easy to find, and they all have significant achievements in sports.
Don't say you are a "walking sports encyclopedia" and than admit you don't know 12/48 athletes on a list of athletes that would all be in any sports encyclopedia.
You immediately lose respect when making such a claim.

As for your opinion on the value of Sportkings, if you don't like the price don't buy it. If there are enough people that share your opinion than the manufacturer will have to adapt to consumer demands or risk going out of business.
I will be buying Sportkings F at $90/box because I have been very happy with Series A through E and don't expect that to change for Series F.
harvey57 is offline   Reply With Quote