Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Default Sportkings Series F Coming Soon

Check out my Blog.

Unbelievable Memorable Moments and First Class cards.

You will be amazed.

According To Dr. Price | My Personal Views

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks awesome as usual....can't wait to get my hands on a few packs!
eb12057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks great, as usual. Glad to see Ric Flair in the set.

Has the complete list of athletes been released yet?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

no boxing card except 1/1 joe frazier ...

http://argentino1986.weebly.com/
argentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Gordie sigs and can't wait to see how "The Goal" looks in the puzzle art !!

Looks like another solid release of the Sportkings family!!
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is a base card checklist:

I noticed that Cristiano Ronaldo has been announced but is not on the checklist?
I love the soccer players that are included. Two true legends in Di Stefano and Juanito (Juan Gomez Gonzalez). I hope there are some cut autos of Juanito.

Anker, Conrad

Climbing

Boros, Julius

Golf

Bradman, Sir Donald

Cricket

Cambiaso, Adolfo

Polo

Chavez, Julio Cesar

Boxing

Clark, Jim

Motorsports

Gilchrist, Cookie

Football

Coppi, Fausto

Cycling

Cruguet, Jean

Horse Racing

Dean, Man Mountain

Wrestling

Di Stéfano, Alfredo

Soccer

Drexler, Clyde

Basketball

DuPont Margaret Osborne

Tennis

Flair, Ric

Wrestling

Fosbury, Dick

Track and Field

George, Gorgeous

Wrestling

Gibson, Josh

Baseball

Gifford, Frank

Football

Gonzalez, Juan Gomez

Soccer

Granaglia, Umberto

Bocce

Ham, Jack

Football

Hayes, Bob

Football

Hearns, Tommy

Boxing

Howe, Gordie

Hockey

Hutson, Don

Football

Korbut, Olga

Gymnastics

Lewis, Carl

Track and Field

Martinez, Pedro

Baseball

McNamara, Garrett

Surfing

Moore, Lenny

Football

O'Neal, Shaquille

Basketball

Ortiz, David

Baseball

Ortiz, Tito

MMA

Parcells, Bill

Football

Pippen, Scottie

Basketball

Riggs, Bobby

Tennis

Rivera, Mariano

Baseball

Robinson, Brooks

Baseball

Robinson, Eddie

Football

Spectacular Bid

Horse Racing

Stevenson, Teofilo

Boxing

Strug, Kerri

Gymnastics

Sugar, Bert

Boxing

Thomas, Frank

Baseball

Valenzuela, Fernando

Baseball

Blake, Toe

Hockey

Williams Jr. Walter Ray

Bowling

Yamaguchi, Kristi

Skating

Last edited by harvey57; 07-09-2013 at 11:23 PM.
harvey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

First impression is that it's a pretty disappointing checklist. Only three cards I want (DiStefano, Howe, Shaq) and no top tier baseball or football superstars. And after the big hype-filled announcement, no Christiano Ronaldo.

Where's Willie Mays? Where's Hank Aaron?

You can't be calling yourself Sportkings if you are, after six series and 300+ cards, still missing two of the greatest baseball players ever.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Manufacturer

It is very easy to be throwing stones at us from afar.

Both Mays and Aaron have been asked to participate for the last six years and have refused to do a Sportkings deal because we don't take enough signatures.

Perhaps you could assist me in securing their rights, please email me if you can help.

We don't repeat Sportkings that have been done before, so I would say with Namath, Marino, Unitas, Young, Elway, Montana, etc we have had lots of football superstars.

Ronaldo is in the product with hard-signed autographs, he refused to allow us to do a base card. If you could help with this one it would appreciated as well.

I thought it was a great coup to get him to sign for us.

Perhaps I am being a little sensitive but mfw13 if you can do better, let me know.

Brian Price
Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Looking forward to the Mariano Rivera, Frank Thomas, Scottie Pippen, Gordie Howe and most of all Kristi Yamaguchi....
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post

Both Mays and Aaron have been asked to participate for the last six years and have refused to do a Sportkings deal because we don't take enough signatures.

Perhaps you could assist me in securing their rights, please email me if you can help.

We don't repeat Sportkings that have been done before, so I would say with Namath, Marino, Unitas, Young, Elway, Montana, etc we have had lots of football superstars.

Ronaldo is in the product with hard-signed autographs, he refused to allow us to do a base card. If you could help with this one it would appreciated as well.

Perhaps I am being a little sensitive but mfw13 if you can do better, let me know.

Brian Price
My respect for you grows seemingly every day. Good on you for responding to his comments. I think you did a great job with the product, and I will certainly be a customer (in a limited capacity, as I don't have too much disposable income when it comes to cards ).

There are some very big names, especially Ronaldo. Well done, Dr. Price.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Do they ever give you a reason why they don't to be on a base card?
EWG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think it is fantastic that SK does not repeat base cards. Will just make the earlier superstars worth more. They could easily put the same players in every year but they do not and I commend them for it.

That being said the checklist is a little weak but where else will you be able to get a Walter Ray Williams Junior or Margaret Osbourne Dupont Card.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Manufacturer

His people did not want us to do a Base Card with our Sportkings artwork, we refused to use a photo images because that is not the Sportkings style.

So rather than jeopardize the entire signing, I backed off.

I wanted to be true to the concept.

Brian Price
Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
His people did not want us to do a Base Card with our Sportkings artwork, we refused to use a photo images because that is not the Sportkings style.

Brian Price
Thanks for the reply, Brian. Can't blame you for backing off. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting one of his auto cards, will go perfectly with my Messi Icons auto
EWG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Brian Price
Dr. Price, thanks for another quick response and clarification. It is awesome you got Ronaldo to sign for Sportkings, too bad he wouldn't agree to have a Sportkings style base card made.

I must add that I love the 1972 Dolphins Anthology Autos that will be inserted in Series F.

Anthology Autograph Cards

Series F will mark the introduction of a new concept to Sportkings. Anthology is an Autograph Card insert set that will memorialize great events in sports history. The first Anthology Autograph Card insert set will feature the members of the 1972 Miami Dolphins who made history with their Perfect Season.

Thirteen members of the Dolphins will be featured in this insert set. There are 72 of each player hard-signed featuring their home jerseys and 72 of each player hard-signed in their away jersey.

The possibilities for future Anthology sets are incredible!!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Brian Price
Mr. Price,

Your product sells for $90/box (at least on Blowout). You only get five cards per box. I was just making the point that for me, at least, the Series F checklist does not contain enough big names, and therefore provide enough value, to get me to buy any boxes this time around (I'm a pretty die-hard sports fan, and even I have never heard of twelve of the names on the checklist).

You want us to buy your product...you need to provide us good value for our money. And since I'm not a gambler, and I don't collect memorabilia/relics/autos, etc., I'm not the type of collector who is going rip boxes/cases of your product looking for the "hit" that will enable me to make my money back. You've structured your product (three base, 1 mini, 1 hit) to appeal to gamblers, and therefore you have to realize that it is less likely to appeal to collectors like me.

One thing you may or may not realize is that many of your collectors ONLY collect the base cards. So the quality of the base card checklist is of primary importance to us. And while I realize that getting many superstars into Sportkings is both extremely difficult and expensive, at the price point you charge per box, there needs to be more of them.

It's not just about Mays or Aaron...where are Mantle, Koufax, Spahn, Feller, Drysdale, Berra, Frank Robinson, McCovey, Palmer, Brett, Boggs, Puckett, Greg Maddux, and Randy Johnson? Where are Otto Graham, YA Tittle, Blanda, Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton, Swann, Payton, Campbell, Fouts, Emmitt Smith or Ronnie Lott? Or how about Bob Cousy, Elgin Baylor, Willis Reed, Kareem, Dr. J, and Patrick Ewing? Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Mike Bossy, Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, Steve Yzerman, Nick Lidstrom, Dominik Hasek, Mike Modano, or Mike Eruzione? John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Michael Chang, Rod Laver, Bille Jean King, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, or Monica Seles? And how about some American soccer players such as Alexi Lalas, Claudio Reyna, Eric Wynalda, Brad Freidel, Cobi Jones, John Harkes, or Kasey Keller?

Yeah, I realize that a lot of the names on that list are expensive and or difficult for you to get, but there are also a lot of them who would not be that difficult or expensive to get, and who would constitute a marked improvement over some of the names that do appear in Series F.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quick question mwf13: do you really want autographs of players who's auto's are already flooding the market? Many of the names you listed have autographs in numerous companies, let alone products. All of the hockey players you listed (save Eruzione, who does have very exclusive auto's from years past) have been featured consistently in products for the past 3-4 years (since Panini's arrival).

Obviously some of the athletes in the checklist, such as Howe and Brooks Robinson, have been featured in products for years, but many do not have or have very scarce auto's.

I'm not really going to attempt to refute any of your points (not right now, anyways) but I'm just asking you if you really want Dr. Price to include autographs of athletes who have had auto's readily available over the past decade?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Manufacturer

It is easy to make a list of athletes, it is a lot harder to sign them.

Obviously you don't know our product that well because many of the athletes named have already been featured in previous Sportking issues.

To me Shaquille O'Neal and Scottie Pippen are not unheard of players.

Frank Gifford is as good a name as Y.A. Title in my opinion.

I am not going to cry about all the athletes we have tried to sign but failed over the years but there is very few on your list that we have not tried to get.

We only do between 100-300 autographs per athlete to keep them very collectable and many of these athletes won't do deals that small. Simple as that.

In hockey we have Howe, Lemiuex, Lafleur, Messier, Roy and many more that you have missed. So you name Orr and Upper Deck exclusive and other names that are not as well know as the ones we have had in Sportkings.

We have had Jim Craig so you want Mike Eruzione.

I don't think it matters who we sign, you can name others, so can I.

Getting Ronaldo to sign for Series F was coup for us but you want other soccer players.

Appreciate your input, we are doing the best we can. Other manufacturers simply use the same players over and over and over again. Sportkings won't and each series is a challenge for us. We enjoy the challenge and hope to continue this brand until we get all the athletes available to us.

I think for every name you can name, I can name one or two who have had a Sportkings card since I revived this brand six years ago.

Brian Price
Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

It's definately a product that stands alone...I like the obscure guys that have scarce autos as well as seeing the athletes from different sports...plus seeing the old school guys bring back a lot of memories

Never realized that you didn't do repeats of athletes in your products though...good to know and I'm sure makes it harder...be easy to use the same guys year after year, but then the market would be over-saturdated with those guys.
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Quick question mwf13: do you really want autographs of players who's auto's are already flooding the market? Many of the names you listed have autographs in numerous companies, let alone products. All of the hockey players you listed (save Eruzione, who does have very exclusive auto's from years past) have been featured consistently in products for the past 3-4 years (since Panini's arrival).
If you read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I mentioned that I only collect the base cards. I have never collected the autographs, and never will.

So to answer your question, I don't really care about whether or not the players in Sportkings have had numerous autos in other products....all I care about is having an improved base card checklist with more stars/superstars and fewer totally obscure athletes. I'm pretty much a walking sports encyclopedia (as my wife and friends would tell you), but when a quarter of the checklist is people I have never heard of, that's a bit much.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
If you read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I mentioned that I only collect the base cards. I have never collected the autographs, and never will.

So to answer your question, I don't really care about whether or not the players in Sportkings have had numerous autos in other products....all I care about is having an improved base card checklist with more stars/superstars and fewer totally obscure athletes. I'm pretty much a walking sports encyclopedia (as my wife and friends would tell you), but when a quarter of the checklist is people I have never heard of, that's a bit much.
Fair enough. I wasn't too clear on your post, I thought you had made a typo and meant you buy simply for resale! Now that I read it over, I see I missed your point .

The base cards do look great, but I do agree with you, that the checklist certainly isn't loaded. That being said, the cost of acquisition, as mentioned by Dr. Price, was probably very steep, if they (the athletes) even considered it.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Manufacturer

It is important to look at the 48 card checklist of the 1933 Sport Kings Gum cards by Gum Inc.

It is this tradition I have followed since I brought the brand back.

Sure we all know Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe, William Tilden, Knute Rockne, Howie Morenz and Bobby Jones Jr. They were all in the original Sportkings.

But so were J. Hubert Stevens, Ralph Snoddy, Irving Jaffe, Charles Jewtraw, Anton Lekang and Ed Blood. Not really household names.

This is what Sportkings is about. It is up to each individual to determine if they want to collect it or not

Brian Price
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

You need to get Dan Gable, there are a ton of guys out there that love that guy!
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #24 (permalink)

Fair enough. But for this customer, the ratio between superstars and non-household names has gotten a bit out of whack in Series F, to the point that I don't think Series F offers good value any more at $90/box.

I'm pretty much a walking sports encyclopedia, and there are twelve names I have never heard of in Series F (25% of the checklist), which is much higher than any series in the past. And Series E had a much stronger checklist overall than Series F, with far more major sport superstars (Ripken, Griffey, Sandberg, Henderson, Griffey, Hornung, Franco Harris, Sayers, David Robinson, Guy LaFleur, Evander Holyfield, Kyle Petty, Doyle Brunson, Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova).

I would also add that I think you underutilize the greatest strength of your product, namely its artwork. Instead of having mini cards (which are difficult to store/display), why not have box toppers utilizing the base card artwork. Having brought Jared Kelley aboard, why not utilize him more? In Series E, all you used him for were 1/1 cards, which by definition can only be owned by 1 person at a time. Why not have him do more oversized cards/box toppers (the Memorable Moments is a good start in that direction), or make his regular cards #/5 or #/10 so more people can enjoy them?

Or how about having base card autos instead of utilizing a separate (and in my opinion rather ordinary) design?

Please take these suggestions as constructive criticism from someone who wants to help you improve Sportkings, not someone who wants to be an adversary.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #25 (permalink)

I have been wanting a nice certified auto of Fernando Valenzuela for quite some time. Now I am looking forward to hunting down one from SK.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote