Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Received my WCW Yearbook that I bought on the cheap. These cards look a lot like my old WWF Magazine cards in that they look very nice in sheet form, but if you're a grader, you pick up flaws like you would in just about anything made of flimsy cardboard that is that big and subject to bending back and forth over time like a magazine page. Whoever owned it before kept the magazine in pretty nice shape and obviously didn't mangle it or spill anything on it or read it that much and probably just stored it in an old box somewhere with all other childhood magazines like I did. I'm half tempted to keep it exactly as is for myself, sell it exactly as is and take my quick profit, separate the cards and grade them to sell or possibly to keep, decisions, decisions. I listed it on Ebay with a high buy it now as I sit in limbo land. As an Austin, Foley and Vader fan its not like I can pick up these "rookie" cards just anywhere let alone in complete magazine form and I got it so cheap on a per card basis, yet, the perfectionist in me wants my PSA 9/10 Austin card and this doesn't make the cut. (I can't fathom that even one did frankly since the Austin is close to the spine which means it never laid completely flat from the moment it was inserted).

Anyway, in the interim I am working on my old WWF magazines trying to pick out good cards, not sure where my 1981 magazine is still, but I know its somewhere. Finding the energy to locate it in this mess might be a different story.

Last edited by bullingham; 07-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Ended up selling not for anywhere close to my buy it now price or even half of it. It's just hard to know what to make of these cards when you know you can take a quick profit and you know you're not going to get a high grade on the key card. Even if I tore it out perfectly PSA is such a stickler on surface issues so Im thinking a 6 on a great day but most likely a 5 or possibly 4 if they're being particular.

I did pick up another WWF magazine that had a really nice Hunter in it (I think anyway) with no creasing or indentations that I see. It's just how I tore the perforations now that I guess will determine the grade. I don't know how you could make any card that you tear out that way grade a 9 or 10 but I've never graded a perforated card. What is the highest grade HHH out there and how much did it go for if anyone knows?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Here's the Hunter by the way for anyone who wants to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrestling Magazine Card Question-image.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

There has only been one graded and I own it and it is a PSA 9. I sent it in myself.

Your example looks great and will grade high if there are no surface issues.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

It's definitely a nice looking card. I know there's another earlier one in the 1995 magazines I own but that's an "in action" shot that I don't think if it was in a baseball set it would qualify as a rookie card. If I had 600 bucks to throw around on a gamble Id have liked the Austin that sold as a PSA 9 myself but even though Id probably have never sold it, there's something disconcerting about holding on to a 600 dollar wrestling card and potentially watching it all dwindle away. I have a lot of Drew Bledoes that I bought many years ago that were probably 100 to 600 dollar cards in the grade I had them in but as a Patriots fan I never sold. You can imagine what those are worth now today and even though Id still never sell them thinking I lost that type of money is a low blow. I don't know what the long term potential of wrestling cards is.

Anyway as far as the Hunter in a 9 what do you think you could sell it for (realizing that it could go in any direction like your UK Halls)
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #31 (permalink)

Here is my PSA 9. I think it could go for over $100 for sure if one was listed in a fixed price listing. There is no way to know what the winning bidder of the Scott Hall's max bid was but I wouldn't be surprised if it was over $100 on each of them.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

http://www.wrestlingtradingcards.com...agazine/62.jpg

Here is the HHH action shot. I personally like the second card as it is a true base card with bio information on the back.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I saw that sell, that is very strong for a more modern sheet. These wrestling magazine cards are really starting to take off in price. Im glad to see the wrestling card hobby start to catch up with where it should be.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote