Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wrestling Magazine Card Question

I still question how or why PSA grades these things, but who am I to argue with trends? Anyway, I have some old magazines somewhere myself as well as ones I plan on picking up with cards in them, how does one go about properly detaching/"cutting" these cards? If they are perforated any technique suggestions on how to maintain a high grade? If they are not perforated what do you do then so as to insure PSA will still grade them? Obviously I assume you don't use scissors, so what do people cut them with to insure a straight, perfect edge that PSA will grade?
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I bought a professional trimmer recently and it was not cheap as I wanted to insure that I got the best cut possible. Some people have a hard time getting the right cut. I figure to be able to get a PSA 10 might just pay for the whole trimmer and with wrestling cards and few options out there for some of the wrestlers it would be in my best interests to have a quality trimmer of my own. Handcut cards and perforated cards are two entirely different animals. With perforated cards, you need to keep how they were intended to be removed. Handcut cards you are able to hack away although it is recommended you stay just outside the original lines. I see no problem with handcut or perforated cards. There are strip cards from the mostly the 1920s and those have been around a long time, as previously discussed one of the most valuable high grade cards here recently was the Tiger Woods SI For Kids rookie and that was a perforated card. The Steve Austin WCW magazine card is much more rare and to me much more appealing than his 1995 WCW card. Good luck! I just sent in a 1973 wrestling annual set to be graded. We will see how I did hand cutting those out!
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where does one go about purchasing a professional trimmer? I assume whatever device that is it was not specifically intended for sports cards but rather something designed to trim something else that people use to either cut cards (like some of these) or of course others for cards for more nefarious purposes.

As for the perforated cards is there a better way to tear them directionally? Quickly? Slowly? Bend along the perforations first? Pull the cards apart or tear somewhat down the perforated lines?

Last edited by bullingham; 07-10-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh and I know certain cards have been graded before that have been perforated but it seems so selective as to what's gradable and not gradable. Plus cards people literally cut completely themselves makes no sense and then why all the outrage in other sports about Beckett (and supposedly not PSA) grading cards from the 1980's that came from uncut sheets so those "shouldn't count" as true 9s and 10's? Don't see much difference nor how you can objectively grade something a person cut themselves.

Like I say though who am I to fight a trend? mostly I just don't want to destroy these cards.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't remember what thread it was in, but dpeck had some good advice on separating perforated cards, I think he is the man who is in the know.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

As for the trimmer I am sure it is up to personal preference and what works for the person making the trim which they like best. It is hard to say which trimmer is truly the best.

As for the perforated cards, I bend them back and forth to weaken the hold and then slowly tear the card away. I would make it as weak as possible by bending back and forth many times to have it easily separate as you pull. Most perforated cards are on thin stock and if you are pulling away you do not want there to be much resistance at all.

I think the debate on sheet cut vs. other cards is that when the same cards were distributed by packs it really is apple and oranges when comparing sheet cut versus those distributed by packs. I understand this, but when you think about it, does it matter how they were cut to size? Not really, but I do understand from the professional grading company's perspective.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

PS- Anything interesting you are cutting up? If it is wrestling I can give you my personal experience. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well my first venture will be a 1992/93 WCW Yearbook I just bought relatively cheap. Then I need to go through all my old 90's WWF magazines and somewhere I think buried deep in the closet is a 1981 Wresting Superstars Magazine where I believe some sort of cutting device will be required.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Totally unrelated to wrestling, but my favorite set of all-time is a perforated set (1955 Ashland Oil Basketball)--I have purchased a few of the perforated strips in my time and the best way i have found to get them off of the perforation is to meticulously work the card forward and backward over a span of time. however, seeing as the cards are over 50 years old by the time I have received them, this process may be easier with the 1955 Ashlands.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
Well my first venture will be a 1992/93 WCW Yearbook I just bought relatively cheap. Then I need to go through all my old 90's WWF magazines and somewhere I think buried deep in the closet is a 1981 Wresting Superstars Magazine where I believe some sort of cutting device will be required.

The 1990's WWF magazine are very tough to separate so be very careful because you can easily have paper loss on the card.

The safest way to remove perforated cards is to bend them at the perforation in both directions first and then pull apart. If you don't do this thoroughly when you separate them a small amount of the card will pull off and now you have a PSA 1.

When you go to separate the 1981 magazine take out the staples first and remove the pages. The Hogan is positioned right in the upper corner near the staple and in order to try and make a clean cut you need the staple out of the way.

Before you send in any cards to get graded scan them very close for wrinkles or slight creases. I have quite a few of the WWF magazine cards but most are not worth grading due to these issues. The cards only came in the magazines that were mailed to subscribers and were not in the magazines at the newsstand so they would have been folded in many cases to fit in the mail box and thus damaging the cards.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. On a related note I don't think many magazines left still have the cards attached. I was missing the ones with the Hunter "rookies" and almost every seller on Ebay I asked with the correct magazines indicated the cards were either never there or removed. So people should not just buy the magazines blind and assume anything. Moreover I suspect as you say the cards in most of these magazines that are still for sale are not great if they were not available in the newsstand copies. Granted even rolling up a magazine briefly you wouldn't think would cause THAT much damage but I imagine it depends if it was a light roll or a full on jam session into the mailbox.

How were the WCW yearbook magazines distributed? I have read some posts from some of you guys over the years that this was a UK only magazine, but the price cover says US price so I would have assumed it was available here somewhere as well???? I subscribed to the WCW magazine back then in my early teens but don't have a copy of that one though so I am assuming it was a newsstand only special edition if it was sold here at all??? Anyone know definitively? Of people who've purchased these magazines are the cards generally in good condition relative to the WWF magazines or the same or worse?

Last edited by bullingham; 07-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have searched all year on EBAY and even on the UK site and I have never once found a copy of the WCW magazine that had the cards in it.

I went through the same search you did and emailed tons of sellers and almost every one did not have the cards.

I live in a condo and if it is a heavy mail day the mail man will have no choice but to bend a magazine to get it in the mail slot. A huge percentage of the cards have creases or wrinkles like I said and are essentially useless for grading.

My best 1995 HHH I messed up when tearing it apart because I only bent the perforations one way and a small amount of paper came off the card. I was really disappointed as it was a great example. It was the first sheet of these I was taking apart and learned my lesson not to cut any corners and really take my time. The paper on the WWF cards can tear very easily and they seem to be more sensitive compared to other perforated cards I have taken apart.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well Ill definitely try to be careful, I don't know how much any of the other guys would be worth in these WWF 90's magazines even graded since only a couple are "rookie" cards.

What do you think a fair price would be for a WCW magazine intact these days with the cards? I just bought one thinking I couldn't lose for the price even if the cards weren't perfect but hoping for the best. If they are say in the 4-6 range you think it would be worth more to keep it intact and sell the full magazine sort of like an old cello or rack pack showing a rookie/star on the front (or back) knowing the card itself may not be pristine?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would say easily $100+.

Keeping it intact is probably the best move. If you look at Tiger Woods SI for Kids many times the magazines sell for more then what the card would if removed and graded for the condition it is in.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Some of the cards that are worth grading from the magazines are as follows.

Isaac Yankham (Kane)

Select Bret Hart and Shawn Micheals

The Diesel base card.

123 Kid

Sonny

Triple H

Andre The Giant HOF card.

Perhaps a few more but these are the one's that come to mind. I don't think this set has a lot of potential in general but if you can find some really nice one's you never know once they are in a slab.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
How were the WCW yearbook magazines distributed? I have read some posts from some of you guys over the years that this was a UK only magazine, but the price cover says US price so I would have assumed it was available here somewhere as well???? I subscribed to the WCW magazine back then in my early teens but don't have a copy of that one though so I am assuming it was a newsstand only special edition if it was sold here at all??? Anyone know definitively? Of people who've purchased these magazines are the cards generally in good condition relative to the WWF magazines or the same or worse?
Printed in the UK, distributed in United State by newsstand. I haven't seen any mailed copies. Almost all the magazines I've bought came from the UK, so I think that's where most of them are.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well, if no mailed copies hopefully mine come in decent shape in the magazine, certainly someone merely reading the magazine would have no incentive to not treat the cards with at least a little care, but we shall see. Given what I paid, I think I would come out ahead either way unless a complete mangling has occurred

As far as the WWF cards, thanks for pointing out some others. Is the Jeff Jarrett his first card as well? Anyway, I think the HHH card is the only "rookie" of those listed that would have potential long term major upside value in a high grade (as he is likely to eventually be running the company for the next 25 years with Stephanie). Sunny pretty much has embarrassed herself despite once being the most popular female in wrestling and Kane has been more of a comedy act the last few years and just doesn't have the same cache as the only pure "character"/gimmick wrestler that I think might have some long term value (i.e. The Undertaker).

Is the Diesel card Nash's "rookie"? I think he might have some value for his memorable NWO run, but he just was never the LONG TERM top guy/world champion for any company, so can't be certain anyone will remember him in 25 years in the way they would other world champions. His run as Diesel as WWF champ was fine I suppose, but I don't recall it being particularly memorable.

Last edited by bullingham; 07-12-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Who else come to think of it (aside from Austin and Foley) is a "rookie" in the 1992/93 WCW Yearbook set? Shane Douglas? Liger? Dustin Rhodes/Goldust? Johnny B Badd/Mero? Madusa? Zenk? Vader?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Who else come to think of it (aside from Austin and Foley) is a "rookie" in the 1992/93 WCW Yearbook set? Shane Douglas? Liger? Dustin Rhodes/Goldust? Johnny B Badd/Mero? Madusa? Zenk? Vader?

Rhodes, Zink, and Vader are all in the 1992 WCW set.

Kevin Nash really doesn't have any good early cards. He is in the 1994 Action packed WWF set and then in the 1995 WWF magazine cards. I think the magazine card has way more potential then the Action Packed but I don't see either being a major card. I think it would take a really high grade to garner much interest in either of these cards.

I agree that some of the names I mentioned are not what you would consider big winners long term but there could be some interest in those cards.

We are obviously having to really stretch to suggest a 123 Kid rookie card is a big deal.

The next big set in graded form will be the 1985 Wrestling All Stars cards. That set is loaded with great cards and many will be very tough in higher grade. I am tempted to cut mine up and send some in.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

The 1985s are just starting to heat up and the magazines are getting a little higher each time they pop up.....the top row is usually always off center and that is 1/3 of the cards.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post

Kevin Nash really doesn't have any good early cards. He is in the 1994 Action packed WWF set and then in the 1995 WWF magazine cards. I think the magazine card has way more potential then the Action Packed but I don't see either being a major card. I think it would take a really high grade to garner much interest in either of these cards.
Nash has a few early cards as Deisel - Merlin cards and Merlin album stickers, Bravo Sports, WWF Ice Cream, WWF Magazine. Maybe forgeting a few others.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

I just ran through the checklists from 1993 to 1995 and found those 1995 Merlin cards. I have never seen those.

Steve you seem to have a copy of everything. Do you have a set of these and if so would you consider them rare?

I also found a funny set from 1993 that was produced by Topps UK that I have never seen.

WrestlingTradingCards.com - 1993 Wacky Wrestling
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I just ran through the checklists from 1993 to 1995 and found those 1995 Merlin cards. I have never seen those.

Steve you seem to have a copy of everything. Do you have a set of these and if so would you consider them rare?

I also found a funny set from 1993 that was produced by Topps UK that I have never seen.

WrestlingTradingCards.com - 1993 Wacky Wrestling
Yes, I have sets of the German Merlin cards. They are scarce but not too rare. They are tough to get from overseas (payment, shipping, etc). The German stickers are tougher, I think, at least to complete a set. The sticker album has Diesel (Kevin Nash) on the cover.

The Topps UK Wacky Wrestling is a greta set, it is very scarce but not impossible.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have been trying to get bret harts cards from the 1995 merlin set for a while now.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
I have been trying to get bret harts cards from the 1995 merlin set for a while now.
Do you have any 1995 Panini Bret Hart stickers?

This listing shows image of one. These are tough!

WWF 1995 Wrestling 10 Sticker Aussuchen Panini | eBay