Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #101 (permalink)

I think the seller of the Scott hall yellows bought up everyone they could when the set first hit. There are a couple other sellers that I question, but tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and figure for the most part they are either case busters or guys such as myself who jumped on this set early. When the market originally flooded you could buy these cards crazily cheap. I could be naive though. It is a crooked, corrupt world and the sports card market is no different.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #102 (permalink)

I do hope Leaf keep serial # colored backgrounds in new set. Was a nice variety.
I wonder if anyone ever got all 4 plates, original sketch and black 1/1. Didn't someone have just about every version of the Sheik.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
I do hope Leaf keep serial # colored backgrounds in new set. Was a nice variety.
I wonder if anyone ever got all 4 plates, original sketch and black 1/1. Didn't someone have just about every version of the Sheik.
I run the sheiks, but I only have two of each plate and have never seen the sketches. The only cards I have been lucky enough to obtain both the black and sketches of are the Ivan koloff and lex Luger base arts and The Brutus Beefcake Alternate art.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 11-27-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Forgot about the Beefcake
Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #104 (permalink)

That may or may not be what happened with the Hall yellow (hoarding). I doubt it but who knows? If what I'm hearing is true, I know for sure that is not what happened with certain other cards that have magically appeared this week (and soon to be more in weeks to come). They were never inserted into boxes for the general public. There apparently will be many more to come out in the next few weeks.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #105 (permalink)

For the record I am only speaking to the supposed rare white background cards. There have been a few that have hardly ever appeared at all (in one case only twice) on Ebay in well over a year. One in particular someone here paid huge money for when it was listed and I nearly did but he won out. There are now two being sold though by the same seller at the same time! He didn't come by them through busting boxes of Leaf Originals if I am to believe him. In fact, if I believe him it would explain why suddenly quite a few other "rare" cards are coming up for auction the last week or so as well as who had possession of them the whole time. It would also be a bad sign for those cards in the weeks to come.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I think the seller of the Scott hall yellows bought up everyone they could when the set first hit. There are a couple other sellers that I question, but tend to give them the benefit of the doubt and figure for the most part they are either case busters or guys such as myself who jumped on this set early. When the market originally flooded you could buy these cards crazily cheap. I could be naive though. It is a crooked, corrupt world and the sports card market is no different.
Possible, but I think the Scott Hall yellow seller had them all from the start. I really doubt they bought them up from other sellers because any of the Scott Hall are rare to pull from packs and hardly any listed in the first place.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
For the record I am only speaking to the supposed rare white background cards. There have been a few that have hardly ever appeared at all (in one case only twice) on Ebay in well over a year. One in particular someone here paid huge money for when it was listed and I nearly did but he won out. There are now two being sold though by the same seller at the same time! He didn't come by them through busting boxes of Leaf Originals if I am to believe him. In fact, if I believe him it would explain why suddenly quite a few other "rare" cards are coming up for auction the last week or so as well as who had possession of them the whole time. It would also be a bad sign for those cards in the weeks to come.
I agree. I'm sure lot of the alt white cards were backdoored and will find their way at auction soon enough.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I run the sheiks, but I only have two of each plate and have never seen the sketches. The only cards I have been lucky enough to obtain both the black and sketches of are the Ivan koloff and lex Luger base arts.
Has anyone confirmed how many plates were released for each card? I have been under the impression that there were only 2. A light and a dark plate. Not the yellow, blue, cyan, magenta that you normally see which would give you 4.
Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley2 View Post
Has anyone confirmed how many plates were released for each card? I have been under the impression that there were only 2. A light and a dark plate. Not the yellow, blue, cyan, magenta that you normally see which would give you 4.
I could be wrong but I swear at one point there were three Nikolai Volkoff alternate plates on Ebay all at the same time and then they all got bought up. At the time I figured it was one buyer buying them all.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #110 (permalink)

The prices of the Leaf Wrestling cards have dropped in the past few months. The cards have lost a lot of momentum. If some of the rarer cards do hit the market soon I don't know how much interest they will bring. Whoever has them should of sold them off a while ago. Series 2 looks like it will have better art and when that gets released it will further bury series 1. I guess we will see soon.
sjim8660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #111 (permalink)

As long as they kid who drew the card for Kevin Nash in series 1 is drawing for series 2...that's ALL I care about. That card had to be the most lifelike drawing of Kevin Nash I have ever seen.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #112 (permalink)

I think overall the Leaf autos have held up very well. Considering the box price was in $60-$70 dollar range. Your not talking high dollar stuff. Check out high end breaks in other sports where people are getting very little resale on cards other than few key rookies. Spending hundreds if not thousands on boxes and getting maybe 1/2 back on resale if they are lucky. Where every signer in the product has thousands of certified autos on market.
One reason I love wrestling card market is you not getting new crap at big prices coming out every other week. Leaf has nice niche with doing this older school type auto set. Where most of the guys in the set have very few cards on the market. They were able to get them all on card autos besides one. Name any sports cards break where you can bust a box and get 5 on card autos, no redemptions for $60. With most being serial # less than /99. With I believe only 2 redemption cards that were filled rather quickly.
I have no problem waiting for second series if it even comes close to the fun first series was. Leaf brought us old school wrestling fans many first time certified on card autos at reasonable prices.

Also with Holidays it seems prices on Ebay drop even more. Good time to be a buyer.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
I think overall the Leaf autos have held up very well. Considering the box price was in $60-$70 dollar range. Your not talking high dollar stuff. Check out high end breaks in other sports where people are getting very little resale on cards other than few key rookies. Spending hundreds if not thousands on boxes and getting maybe 1/2 back on resale if they are lucky. Where every signer in the product has thousands of certified autos on market.
One reason I love wrestling card market is you not getting new crap at big prices coming out every other week. Leaf has nice niche with doing this older school type auto set. Where most of the guys in the set have very few cards on the market. They were able to get them all on card autos besides one. Name any sports cards break where you can bust a box and get 5 on card autos, no redemptions for $60. With most being serial # less than /99. With I believe only 2 redemption cards that were filled rather quickly.
I have no problem waiting for second series if it even comes close to the fun first series was. Leaf brought us old school wrestling fans many first time certified on card autos at reasonable prices.

Also with Holidays it seems prices on Ebay drop even more. Good time to be a buyer.
i agree that the value for this product was good. few redemptions, low price and on card autos. i see people buying football hobby boxes for 150-200 a pop and get 1-2 autos and 1-2 men cards with little resale value.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #114 (permalink)

Still haven't seen the Valentine black 1/1 (regular). Wonder if it was ever pulled.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #115 (permalink)

Leaf tweeted this a couple days ago....
Leaf Trading Cards ‏@Leaf_Cards 28 Nov
2014 Leaf Originals Wrestling is moving nicely... Artwork done! Printing now. Autographs next...
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #116 (permalink)

Well if you look at Ebay over the last few days, I hate to say I told you so, but....here comes some more now. Yeah, I'll buy Leaf boxes again, totally on the up and up....unless I won't, ever.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #117 (permalink)

I wish the tough ones I wanted started getting cheaper and easier to find.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #118 (permalink)

The Scott Hall #/99's are finally crashing. No recent sale over $50, and one has been sitting at BIN under $54 w/free shipping.

Used to be tough to buy it under $80. (not sure if any were ever pulled from packs at all)
Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #119 (permalink)

I had to pay quite a bit for it and the timing couldn't have been worse, but I was able to nab the Piper Red/10 today. Now I am within four of my mission. I am getting excited for the next set. Seeing all of the recent eBay sales and the stuff that has been hitting really makes you wonder just how much was backdoored on the first release. In any event I am glad I am a singles chaser and not a case buster. Here's to a checklist being released soon with Baron Von Raschke's name on it.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 12-03-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: poor spelling
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #120 (permalink)

I still just need a white background Flair or Hall to finish my set off. Only gonna get a few select autos from the next set. No way I will put another one of these together. Not because of resale value or anything, but I think there was some seriously shady stuff with this last set.
thepick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #121 (permalink)

There were two Piper alt whites listed in over a year (I bought and sold one of them so there was only one other one I ever saw). In the past week or two, 4, yes 4 have already been listed. Two bruno alt whites in one auction! It's ridiculous. I suspect many more are a coming from what I learned a few weeks back. Leaf kept them all!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
The Scott Hall #/99's are finally crashing. No recent sale over $50, and one has been sitting at BIN under $54 w/free shipping.

Used to be tough to buy it under $80. (not sure if any were ever pulled from packs at all)
There is one seller who got greedy. Early on, I offered him $65 or $70 for a Hall and I was rejected. Months later, he still has a bunch left that he probably cannot unload for $50 now.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #123 (permalink)

I imagine this recent flood will lower the market value temporarily on some of these cards. Now would be the time to buy them. Once the second series is released and the market dries up on series 1 I expect to see the prices go back up a little. This recent flood on the market of some of the more rarer cards might be due to 2 causes, 1. the news that a second series is coming out so people are trying to make some extra cash and 2 its the holidays and a lot of cards are going to be listed because people just need money this time of year. just throwing that out there.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #124 (permalink)

That's not the reason unfortunately. The reason these cards are just now making their way out of Leaf's vaults is because they were never inserted into boxes/cases in the first place. They were never as SP'ed as believed and I feel badly for those who paid through the nose for them or who bought boxes or cases searching for them. And I am also highly suspect as to why we never saw another Scott Hall red or green ink other than the ones mysteriously offered, then pulled by American Icons (after I noted to Leaf I already had one of these so called "1/1's" and somehow Scott Hall got blamed for stealing!). Now may be as good as time as any to buy, but if you're looking to Leaf products for long term resale/investment value, this is why you don't.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #125 (permalink)

I would not call it flooding the market.

I wish these were so easy to find.