Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worst wrestling card, ever?

Cut-off autograph is upside-down and partial face is upside-down also, as well as diagonal.

Leaf Executive Collection?!?

Is this card even produced with permission from HHH?

Triple H 2013 Leaf Cut Signature Masterpiece 1 1 Executive Auto | eBay
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Don't think cuts require permission though not entirely sure of the legal reasons why and would still be a bit confused in that HHH is a fictitious name trademarked/copyrighted by the WWE. I suppose it would have something to do with being able to sell an autograph 8x10 in any configuration you want, including cutting it up into a card, but it is somewhat confusing.

Anyway, for an ugly card it already had a 120.00 bid so it must appeal to somebody. I personally hate cuts of non deceased guys as it seems so silly.

Last edited by bullingham; 09-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I bought the same signed photo. It was a give away as a special on WWE.com with a special edition of the King of Kings DVD. $15 delivered and not cut to s@#t so I thought the same thing when I saw the card. With that said there aren't many HHH certified autos floating around so I am sure somebody will pay quite a bit for it.

I think its actually 5x7, but here is what the photo looks like unchopped.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 09-04-2013 at 07:49 AM.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

one would think they have WWE permission. I have seen Trish, Vince & Stone Cold dual cards before by leaf.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think its the worst because of the poorly cut autograph, I think its the worst because it doesn't even feature a picture of HHH.

That's why I'm not a fan of cut autos, especially Leaf, SignaCuts and the like... nothing unique about the card, just a cut up piece of paper in a frame. Some celebrity signs an 8x10 in a line at some premiere and it gets bought and sold repeatedly until one of these companies buys it, chops it up and throws it in a frame/holder and charges probably 20x what they paid for it.

I much prefer a certified auto, even if it is a sticker (like 99% of WWE card autos are) because even if the wrestler doesn't see the card he/she is going to be featured on, at least they know what there autos are going to be featured on.

Oh, and its perfectly legal to resell someone's autograph. Someone's autograph isn't necessarily intellectual property like say, a photograph of them, where the original photographer may own the rights to the composition... see the recent 2013 Pop Century debalce for info on that.

That's how these companies make such huge profits on these cut autos... no permission needed to sell the auto and no photos on the card to pay rights to.

ryangeorgelaw... hit up a Hobby Lobby or Michael's and get one of those cheap glass/plastic pop-in frames for that... it's beautiful!

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

As a 1/1, I'm sure it will get bid up.

It just seems so stupid that the auto was place upside-down, and half of HHH's upside-down face is cut off.

I'd rather have one of the original signed 5X7's.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wonder if the person bidding on this really knows what they are getting? Anyone can mail an autograph to Leaf and have this done. I really don't even consider it a trading card. To me it is still a photograph cut down to trading card size and authenticated. I had an Owen Hart autograph that I considered having done, but I didn't see it adding much value. The first one of each individual they do each year gets the 1 of 1 stamp. So Ryan could send his in next year and get the exact same 1 of 1 card in a 2014 holder.

Executive Cuts | Leaf Trading Cards
Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

That makes sense. Pay Leaf $40 + shipping, and they will wreck your already authenicated autograph by cutting up the item and pasting it into a frame. I guess some super collectors might see value to this.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's a horrible autograph, it's not complete and it's a poorly manufactured collectible.

Why buy something like this? It's pretty piss poor on all levels.

Who cares if it's 1/1... one of one that no one should care about...

I'd rather buy a full 8" x 10" than a small card with a cut signature that's not even framed nicely and looks incomplete. Who even knows about the authenticity as well too.

These card companies need to stop producing sub-par junk, and more importantly, fans need to stop supporting these companies that crank out trash product, so they'll stop.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

I did not know that was how the Leaf Executive collections were created, I thought they were a product with one card per box type a deal. I wouldn't send my Triple H photo in to be cut up. But I do have an Owen Hart autograph that I bought cheaply but wasn't sure what I was going to do with. It would make an excellent 1/1 masterpiece card. Just an idea, but a possible option up the road.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Don't do it ryan! Don't give in! Stat Monsters is right, who cares if its a 1/1. That card up top isn't really a 1/1. HHH signed a number of them... just happens only 1 of them was cut up by Leaf and put in a ridiculous frame... bam - 1/1.

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

I honestly think Cut auto's should be reserved for deceased athletes (someone already said that in this post) Also they should only cut things up that are on odd pieces of paper, like index cards or checks. It always kills me to see companies cut up jerseys of players like Montana and Jordan, game used stuff should be intact and on display for fans to see, don't they understand they will eventually run out of material? Ok my rant is over, bottom line is the HHH card does not look good. Plus he is still alive. Give us a cut of Owen Hart or Andre the Giant.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I did not know that was how the Leaf Executive collections were created, I thought they were a product with one card per box type a deal. I wouldn't send my Triple H photo in to be cut up. But I do have an Owen Hart autograph that I bought cheaply but wasn't sure what I was going to do with. It would make an excellent 1/1 masterpiece card. Just an idea, but a possible option up the road.
The problem with my Owen autograph was that it was a little too big to fit into the frame, and would have ended up looking like the Triple H auto. The only reason I was even considering it was because the photo was a little bent around the edges any way. The right signature might look nice in that card frame, but unless it is already authenticated the process is rather expensive. If at some point more people became aware of the process I am not sure how well these would hold their value.
Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

@ryan ... id get the OP in this thread:

Custom "Married with Children" Booklet.

to make a nice card out of a cut signature .. then send to leaf to slab
im busy w nonhobby stuff .. will get to pms
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley2 View Post
The problem with my Owen autograph was that it was a little too big to fit into the frame, and would have ended up looking like the Triple H auto. The only reason I was even considering it was because the photo was a little bent around the edges any way. The right signature might look nice in that card frame, but unless it is already authenticated the process is rather expensive. If at some point more people became aware of the process I am not sure how well these would hold their value.
I think my Owen would probably have the same problem. It would be a close fit on a card. When he signed and had room to properly, he signed fairly big and bold.