Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question Regarding 1993 WWF Merlin Set

Got these cards as part of a large lot I purchased awhile back (note to others don't buy from overseas aside from the UK unless you are prepared to wait forever for the cards to arrive and unless you're willing to pay through the nose for shipping). I read up on them and saw they are harder to find variants within the set. Just how hard to find/rare are these relative to the regular versions of the 1993 Merlin Set?
Attached Thumbnails
Question Regarding 1993 WWF Merlin Set-image.jpg  
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

On an unrelated note (and as you can see by the high buy it now I listed it for that I'm not terribly anxious to sell), but threw up my PSA 10 1987 OPC Bret Hart the other night just to see what type of action Id get if for no other reason than to get an idea what it's worth to the rest of the card collecting world, but so far not even a single offer. I know I didn't price it to sell (largely because Im not so sure I want to sell, much like my Leaf Wrestling set, other than there's a certain item on Ebay I am contemplating purchasing where Im going to need some major funds to complete the purchase), but the no offers surprises me a bit. Then again people have a very bad habit on ebay of looking at the last one sold for and assuming anything over that price is overpaying.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
Got these cards as part of a large lot I purchased awhile back (note to others don't buy from overseas aside from the UK unless you are prepared to wait forever for the cards to arrive and unless you're willing to pay through the nose for shipping). I read up on them and saw they are harder to find variants within the set. Just how hard to find/rare are these relative to the regular versions of the 1993 Merlin Set?
I don't think anyone really knows how scarcer one version is from another. I think some cards have up to 3 versions.

The cards are scarce in the United States, but not too uncommon in Europe. Most sellers there aren't willing to ship overseas. On top of that, payment method can be troublesome and like you said, shipping costs are high as well.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I notice that you have a merlin pack in the photo. What kind of condition are the cards in?
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cards came as part of a merlin set deal I got. Got a complete 1991 German Set, half complete 1991 English Set, and maybe a quarter complete 1991 Italian set, plus the 1993 Merlin set (minus a couple cards), and the 1995 set (minus a couple cards). There were then these variants plus some 1992 Merlin's thrown in as well as a few other things.

All and all I was pleased with the condition/purchase, most cards were NM or better, many NM/M or Mint. The variants are probably EX/EX/M for the most part. Just wasnt sure about them but sounds like its up in the air about scarcity. The shipping was the killer.

One set that I really like in person is the 1995 Merlin Set. It doesn't really have that big name rookie to it, but does have a lot of second tier rookies and some really nice looking 2nd year Nash's along with the big stars. I have to think it was the most limited of the sets given the WWF's horrific business in the mid 90's.

Last edited by bullingham; 09-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

By the way, think it was DPeck who got one graded that high, but how any of those black bordered 1992 Owen cards would ever come back even an 8 let alone a 10 I don't know. That whole set makes 1971 baseball look easier to find in a high grade than 1992 Merlin.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes I did get a few 10's from the Merlin sets.

Here is the Owen.

Last edited by dpeck100; 09-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just purchased a couple of these the other day myself. I was on the hunt for Tatanka cards and noticed he had a couple in the Merlin sets.

If anyone has extra Tatanka cards please let me know. He is doing a show with us in November and I would like to have some for him to sign.

2 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's amazing you got a 10 on one of those. Did you get it fresh out of a pack or did someone actually send a raw one that nice from overseas? I have bought several looking just for a NM/M centered copy and don't think I've seen one yet (of any guy in that black bordered series for that matter) that would grade higher than a 6 or 7. Even the ones I just picked up seemed to come from a serious enough collector who shipped all cards in pages but still same old, same old on that 1992 series. Did PSA mislabel that Owen by the way? Isn't it from series 1?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

What Tatankas are you looking for?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That's amazing you got a 10 on one of those. Did you get it fresh out of a pack or did someone actually send a raw one that nice from overseas? I have bought several looking just for a NM/M centered copy and don't think I've seen one yet (of any guy in that black bordered series for that matter) that would grade higher than a 6 or 7. Even the ones I just picked up seemed to come from a serious enough collector who shipped all cards in pages but still same old, same old on that 1992 series. Did PSA mislabel that Owen by the way? Isn't it from series 1?

Yes this is mislabeled. I caught it when my grades popped and spoke to the PSA customer service folks and they said they package was on its way out and could be stopped if I wanted it fixed. I said just send them to me as there were a lot of cards in the sub and I wanted them back.

I guess I got lucky on these. I purchased two sets from sellers in the UK and they both came in pages. Both sets were pretty nice with the obvious centering issues and some minor corner wear. This was the card I was looking for so I was thrilled when I saw it and felt confident it had a chance to grade high.

All of these Merlin sets to me seem unappreciated and there are some great cards in them.

I have some pulled right now to send to PSA when I submit some cards again. I search for them almost every day and it seems that very few show up on a consistent basis and many of them are re listed auctions I have already viewed.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just any of his cards. I looked through all the modern 2012-2013 and he doesn't have any. I was super hoping he had a WWE 2013 Topps in the legends but he doesn't.

Quote:
What Tatankas are you looking for?

2 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevader View Post
Just any of his cards. I looked through all the modern 2012-2013 and he doesn't have any. I was super hoping he had a WWE 2013 Topps in the legends but he doesn't.
Besides Leaf, I think 2007 Heritage or 2006 Top Trumps are his newest cards.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok cool. They might even have a chrome card from that set also.

Sorry for bombing the Merlin Card thread with Tatanka questions but you guys rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Besides Leaf, I think 2007 Heritage or 2006 Top Trumps are his newest cards.