Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1989 WWF Classic

Finally picked some of these up. What's the full story with these? I mean they are very very similar to the 1990 set, but obviously have the 1989 copyright date. Were they a test set? How were they released?

I know the Warriors could be considered rookie cards as I don't think he has any traditional cards with the 1989 date, are The Rockers cards of Shawn Michaels his as well?

Also does anyone know the guy suddenly auctioning off all the cromy's and other rarer modern wrestling cards? He has zero feedback but I can't imagine he just popped out of a hat.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

The guy with zero feedback is a great guy and I have placed bids on his auctions. No worries there.....
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok good to know. Just seemed weird the more rare cards he has rolled out over the last few days that this was a guy who just discovered Ebay.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just got the Cromy Steve Austin in the mail a few minutes ago from him.

You can trust him I promise. We email back and forth frequently and was surprised to see him start a new EBAY ID to sell off some of the cards he no longer wants.

He has the best Carnation collection of anyone including the PSA 9 Ric Flair.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

How'd that look? I figured you were the one who bought it now at 35. Great price if the condition is right.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is nice. They are interesting cards. I am not a huge fan of them but I will buy anything where I see value.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would put them a step above the paper magazine cards and stickers personally as cards but that's just me. That they have a traditional card look to the front in some ways helps as well as I think (assume?) they are made of cardboard. The color scheme though looks like they must have dug it up straight out of 1991 Impel.

I think there's some potential here given Austin's popularity and their being only distributed in South America.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

The seller has one more and got an offer for $200 on it. He has some more good stuff he is going to list.

They are relatively thin as they are a card game from Argentina. I like the paper card better but it is just my opinion and I don't just focus on what I think. I let the market decide.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am a paper card fan of the 1973s and have done alright selling my dupes. In a slab there is no difference as it really does not matter the stock at that point. The paper cards have a bio on the back that the Cromy does not have. I prefer black borders over yellow any day of the week. The Andre 1973 has done just fine on ebay and auction.
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
Finally picked some of these up. What's the full story with these? I mean they are very very similar to the 1990 set, but obviously have the 1989 copyright date. Were they a test set? How were they released?

I know the Warriors could be considered rookie cards as I don't think he has any traditional cards with the 1989 date, are The Rockers cards of Shawn Michaels his as well?
I don't think they were a "test set". They were released/distributed in stardard display boxes, like the 1990 set.

The Rockers cards of Shawn Michaels could be considered a rookie, although a Rockers postcard was released before in 1988.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

WrestlingTradingCards.com - 1989 WWF Classic

I bought a box with packs that said 1989 and they were 1990 inside. The only way to find out is to buy one and rip it and hope they are 1989.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

1989 packs with 1989 cards are very rare.

There have been sellers selling 1989 packs (that contain 1990 cards), so be careful when buying.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think the best card of the 1989 set is #159 Tito Santana (last card of the set, following the numbering of the logo cards), simply because the card isn't in the 145-card 1990 set. Not only is it very rare (no 1990 counterpart), but also subject to extra wear that 1st and last cards of a set are prone too.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mine just were part of a lot that I picked up and asked the seller in advance about the copyright date. Paid a lot more for them than I ever would 1990 classic as I already own plenty of those from 20 years ago. I haven't seen the 1989's come up before and the few times I have seen some titled 1989 on Ebay the seller later would double check for me and it would always in fact be a 1990 copyright.

As for the paper cards to each their own. I think they have value obviously but I think it's a peculiar value in that outside of a slab it's a scrapbook piece of paper that is not at all like a card. I also tend to think we all like what we tend to already own a lot of otherwise (a) we wouldn't own it and (b) we couldn't get rid of it if we labeled our Ebay auctions "I think this is actually a piece if garbage, but bid away!". The cromy's are more like cards to me, just with all the info on one side. If they actually looked just like a traditional deck of playing cards only I don't think they'd have any real interest.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

The 1989 cards are worth keeping an eye out for. A seller currently has a few singles listed, but no key cards.

There is also a super-ultra-rare mini 1990 Classic WWF Bubble Tags set. I've only been able to checklist part of that set, and have no more than 2 of a single card.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Speaking of rare sets there was this guy in the UK selling a 1995 Panini set of some sorts last week for over a 1,000.00. I put in a lowball offer since I could find nothing on this set anywhere and wanted to see his best price, but there was a nice triple h rookie or two and Kane rookies as Isaac Yankem. Someone must have gave a much better offer because I never got a counter and it was gone but does anyone know what it the world this set is/was? It was not the caps set.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Here was a pic
Attached Thumbnails
1989 WWF Classic-image.jpg  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Speaking of rare sets there was this guy in the UK selling a 1995 Panini set of some sorts last week for over a 1,000.00. I put in a lowball offer since I could find nothing on this set anywhere and wanted to see his best price, but there was a nice triple h rookie or two and Kane rookies as Isaac Yankem. Someone must have gave a much better offer because I never got a counter and it was gone but does anyone know what it the world this set is/was? It was not the caps set.
I seen it pop up also. I would like to get my hands on one. That seems to be a very rare set, considering I have never even heard of it until recently. Hopefully some people who have them will get off them since this one sold well. Imagine a triple H rookie that is an actual card (no offense magazine card). And the Isaac Yankem card is also nice.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have no idea what it is other than the sellers description that it was a set sold only in Italy. I looked all over for it elsewhere and no one else was selling any cards from this set anywhere in the world that I could find.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Here was a pic
Neat cards. I haven't seen those before. Would be nice to see the checklist up close.

Panini had stickers sets in 1995 and 1996, which are also quite rare. Offhand I don't think the designs are similar though.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #21 (permalink)

I happened to be searching for 1995 WWF cards and came across the listing you are referencing.

The seller is from England and we have done a few deals. I emailed him and asked him about the set and he got close to the asking price.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

35 bucks for that card is great buy.. You could easily tripple your money or more just by relisting as an auction. The one that sold for 50 bucks had a pretty obvious crease on it. I've been chatting with a few sellers from Argentina about these cards. I figured they were fairly common down there so thought I could scoop up a few sets and cherry pick tge best cards to get slabbed and flip on eBay... The only problem was they weren't all that common. I was only able to find one set.

The 89 classic set has always confused me. Singles sat on tge huskerhaves sure for years... I got a warrior card from there for about 75 cents. Unfortunately I got it slabbed and sold it on eBay for about 20 bucks. Prob should have held on to it. I liked tge market scene card for my rookie card collection so didn't really have a use for it. The Tito Santana card is very interesting. I opened a bunch of 89 packs and have to check to see if I have one. Great info on that card by the way... I would have never known to look for it
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

In the interest of full disclosure I bought the 50.00 one. I noticed too what appears to be a crease or surface wrinkle on the lower left edge of the Austin, but I am not a 100 percent sure as it's only a scan and since I figured I might be sitting there until I died to see another one period, figured it was worth the gamble at 50 bucks to at least own one (assuming I ever get it in the mail which is problem two when buying internationally).

Id have liked to have bought the PSA 8 one when it was listed but at 500 bucks (even with a best offer option) it seemed way out of my price range for a single non 9 or 10 sports card of anybody.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

As far as huskerhavs, cards sit there even now that would likely sell on Ebay, but he must not like the fees or the hassle. I also doubt even though his prices are pretty competitive and in some cases way too low, that anyone really expects to get a PSA 9 or 10 from him (nor should we). No individual scans, just buying blind.

I am not sure what value to place on the 1989's. Technically speaking since I believe all market scene warrior cards have a 1990 copyright on them, this would at the very least be the only set to purchase a traditional card of the warrior pre 1990.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Make sure its shipped registered mail. It's worth paying more for this service when buying anything from brazil or Argentina. Those are the only 2 countries I've bought from from South America but I've had issues anytime something was mailed any way other than registered. Be patient though.. I've had a package from brazil take about a month to get here.. Good luck with the cards. I hope they are in good condition. The ones I got were ok. Nice corners and edges but the backs were a little dirty. They were also really warped... It didn't matter once I put them in holders... The looked fine once they were in plastic.
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote