Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

BGS will grade the condition of the auto on a scale /10 too.

2 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

No company will grade it because it is an obvious conterfeit.

If the seller bought it from someone, best bet would be to try to return it for a refund.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #28 (permalink)

Personally, I think all those autos are fake. I met him 2 years prior in 96, and he had a great signature then. Did he develop Parkinson's or what? And almost every auto I've seen by him, he signs "Davey Boy Smith". Just my opinion.
SlickNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
Send it to PSA, BGS will grade anything. PSA is the only company I would trust.
each to their own. if you want great grades just got to PSA, they are cheaper and more lenient. do you really wanna see that gem mint kamala again???

on a side note BGS does not grade any autos from the wcw set that were not inserted in packs, whilst PSA does. I have a whipwreck to prove it.

all my wcw autos bgs 9s and 9.5 will be PSA 10s without a doubt, even my 8.5s would be
Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickNeon View Post
Personally, I think all those autos are fake. I met him 2 years prior in 96, and he had a great signature then. Did he develop Parkinson's or what? And almost every auto I've seen by him, he signs "Davey Boy Smith". Just my opinion.

I think there is a very real chance you are right. I owned an OPC rookie card that was signed and it was signed exactly how you state. Not even in the realm of any of these signatures.

In the late 90's none of these wrestlers saw these as anything that would ever maintain value. Quite frankly very few realize wrestling cards have any value currently.

Once it becomes known that these have value they will surface and it is already starting. I am not sure either PSA or BGS will be able to spot the fakes and if not the prices will eventually reflect that.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootan View Post
each to their own. if you want great grades just got to PSA, they are cheaper and more lenient. do you really wanna see that gem mint kamala again???

on a side note BGS does not grade any autos from the wcw set that were not inserted in packs, whilst PSA does. I have a whipwreck to prove it.

all my wcw autos bgs 9s and 9.5 will be PSA 10s without a doubt, even my 8.5s would be
BGS is easier on grading. have you seen Strasburg super. No way those would all automatic grade PSA 10's. Send them in.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
BGS is easier on grading. have you seen Strasburg super. No way those would all automatic grade PSA 10's. Send them in.
These guys live in dream worlds until they send them in. Then the wake up call comes.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
the stasburg super is advertising for bgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
These guys live in dream worlds until they send them in. Then the wake up call comes.
I've sent in 2,500 cards to bgs so far this year and ive also sent my share to psa and without a shadow of a doubt PSA is a lot easier to get a good grade.
ANY vintage or cards with autograph problems go to PSA anything else goes straight to bgs. I've always got a kick out of the guys that don't own or have ever sent a graded card in for grading but are experts on how it works
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

I personally have submitted the majority of the WCW topps autos in the Pop report and I have over 50 at PSA right now. I have only gotten 3 PSA 10 Gems and those cards were Perfect. I have a few 9's but it is pretty tough nowa days to get a WCW topps auto PSA graded a 10. They have been handled and traded so much in the past 15 since they were released, the corners and edges are not what they used to be.

Fake British Bulldog WCW Topps Auto On Ebay-scan-29.jpg
ignore the dust from my scanner
Fake British Bulldog WCW Topps Auto On Ebay-scan-32.jpg
sjim8660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
the stasburg super is advertising for bgs

I've sent in 2,500 cards to bgs so far this year and ive also sent my share to psa and without a shadow of a doubt PSA is a lot easier to get a good grade.
ANY vintage or cards with autograph problems go to PSA anything else goes straight to bgs. I've always got a kick out of the guys that don't own or have ever sent a graded card in for grading but are experts on how it works
I have definitely sent a few cards in for grading.

So do your vintage go to PSA because you think they are easier or because they sell for more?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

BGS is so watered down now with them giving out BGS 9.5 gem mint on almost anything. Many collectors don't even want a BGS 9 anymore. Complete joke. I still think a PSA or BGS 9 is still a nice card and worth having in cased. Just seems with BGS now giving out so many BGS 9,5s collectors see some poor ones getting in they think almost anything sent in should get a bgs 9.5.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I personally have submitted the majority of the WCW topps autos in the Pop report and I have over 50 at PSA right now. I have only gotten 3 PSA 10 Gems and those cards were Perfect. I have a few 9's but it is pretty tough nowa days to get a WCW topps auto PSA graded a 10. They have been handled and traded so much in the past 15 since they were released, the corners and edges are not what they used to be.

Attachment 174508
ignore the dust from my scanner
Attachment 174509
Those are nice cards. Autos look great as well.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Look I don't know what you guys are smoking. My brother and I just sent a shitload of cards to BGS, we had put down min grade 9, so many of them came back "don't meet min grade". I went over this cards with a magnifying glass and I'm as anal as it gets.
All our Jordan cards that didn't make 9s will be sent to Psa ill let u guys know what they grade
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

I have had gem mints from both companies with this set. I could find flaws on both. Specifically a PSA 10 Tank Abbott I had had a corner with a good amount of white. I don't have the scan of the back anymore unfortunately. I really think much of it is a ploy with grading now. PSA grades some sets harder now because of the whole watered-down market. I really think it all depends on when the card was graded. Years ago PSA was so easy to get 10s. Now it seems BGS is a bit easier. Both companies will verify fake autographs. I personally would never grade anything from this set as I do not see it doing much to the value besides hurting it if you get a bad grade. I have bought and sold so many of these over the years that graded ones, unless collected for grading purposes, often go for less if they are not a gem mint grade. If I was to send some in I would probably go BGS strictly for aesthetic appeal as PSA slabs just look aged at this point.
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2acollectables View Post
I think there are thousands of these out there and they will indeed flood the market
15+ years later?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
I have had gem mints from both companies with this set. I could find flaws on both. Specifically a PSA 10 Tank Abbott I had had a corner with a good amount of white. I don't have the scan of the back anymore unfortunately. I really think much of it is a ploy with grading now. PSA grades some sets harder now because of the whole watered-down market. I really think it all depends on when the card was graded. Years ago PSA was so easy to get 10s. Now it seems BGS is a bit easier. Both companies will verify fake autographs. I personally would never grade anything from this set as I do not see it doing much to the value besides hurting it if you get a bad grade. I have bought and sold so many of these over the years that graded ones, unless collected for grading purposes, often go for less if they are not a gem mint grade. If I was to send some in I would probably go BGS strictly for aesthetic appeal as PSA slabs just look aged at this point.
I have recently had multiple offers for my Macho man PSA 9 WCW topps auto card in the range of $800.00. We all know Macho mans card ungraded goes for around $300.00 the only reason people were offering me so much is because the card is graded Mint (the highest graded Macho man and the only 9) and because it is getting harder to get these cards in high Grade. I have also been offered $500 for my PSA 10 Curt Hennig Auto, usually his sells for maybe $200 ungraded? on a good day. The only reason those offers were that high is because these cards were graded high. I don't know if that applies to all WCW topps autos but with my experience getting these cards PSA graded does increase the value, at least to people who want quality. Also why do i keep hearing people say there a bunch of wcw topps autos that are PSA 10's? Check the pop report, there are a total of 5 PSA 10's and I personally submitted and own 3 of them. So i guess its not as easy as people think it is to get a PSA 10 wcw topps auto.
sjim8660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #42 (permalink)

I still have no desire to own the graded ones. Most of the cards that I sold and are owned by collectors are in mint condition anyway.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I have definitely sent a few cards in for grading.

So do your vintage go to PSA because you think they are easier or because they sell for more?
I think PSA is well known and more established as far as vintage grading
Bgs is a little harder on vintage in my opinion. Ive cracked several psa and sent to bgs and several bgs and sent to psa just to check

Quote:
BGS is so watered down now with them giving out BGS 9.5 gem mint on almost anything. Many collectors don't even want a BGS 9 anymore. Complete joke. I still think a PSA or BGS 9 is still a nice card and worth having in cased. Just seems with BGS now giving out so many BGS 9,5s collectors see some poor ones getting in they think almost anything sent in should get a bgs 9.5.
Its not watered down at all. People pay so much for a pack of cards nowadays that as soon as something is opened it goes straight to a toploader. It's not like the old days of a rubber band and a shoebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootan View Post
Look I don't know what you guys are smoking. My brother and I just sent a shitload of cards to BGS, we had put down min grade 9, so many of them came back "don't meet min grade". I went over this cards with a magnifying glass and I'm as anal as it gets.
All our Jordan cards that didn't make 9s will be sent to Psa ill let u guys know what they grade
I pregrade every card I personally send and some of the guys that submit in my group subs pay me to pre grade their cards and im at about 80% on 9.5's since I bought the right equipment to do it. It is SO HARD to get a 9.5 let alond a bgs 10(but I have 11 10's from 2009)I submitted each one of them
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
I think PSA is well known and more established as far as vintage grading
Bgs is a little harder on vintage in my opinion. Ive cracked several psa and sent to bgs and several bgs and sent to psa just to check

Its not watered down at all. People pay so much for a pack of cards nowadays that as soon as something is opened it goes straight to a toploader. It's not like the old days of a rubber band and a shoebox.

I pregrade every card I personally send and some of the guys that submit in my group subs pay me to pre grade their cards and im at about 80% on 9.5's since I bought the right equipment to do it. It is SO HARD to get a 9.5 let alond a bgs 10(but I have 11 10's from 2009)I submitted each one of them

80% on 9.5's. I love it. This post does all of the talking. There is nothing else to say.

In all seriousness the notion that BGS is tougher on vintage is probably the most uninformed statement about card grading I have ever read.

These internet debates on card grading are really just that. Debates.

PSA dominates the market in card grading by miles. But because of position bias I can give you any number of statistics that showcase this reality but you will never believe it.

The prices speak for themselves. Obviously in wrestling PSA is king. But wrestling is such a small niche it is really almost irreverent in the grand scheme of things when it comes to card grading. That being said just do a search for high end rookie cards and compare BGS to PSA. Then do a search of the rest of those cards where the registry matters. Things become clear very quickly.

If BGS is the top dog, then why are the top collections in the hobby of trading cards not rushing to move their high end cards to them?

We all know the answer to that question in reality.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #45 (permalink)

Could it also be true that while using different terms that a bgs 10 is worth much more than a psa 10?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Could it also be true that while using different terms that a bgs 10 is worth much more than a psa 10?

There are definitely BGS 10's that sell for more then PSA 10's.

This is where BGS made a mistake. There Gem Mint grade became a mint grade and there are lots of those.

I honestly really don't care what people think on this topic. I just find it so odd that people can essentially 100% discount reality and that is why I continue to get bated into these discussions. If these were hamburgers and one said BGS sells more hamburgers then PSA once the numbers were shown it would be clear this couldn't be further from the truth. But since people have money invested in the holders they just can't face reality. I understand it because I understand position bias but I don't understand it because PSA grades over 5 times as many cards as BGS does in total. It is literally that far apart.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

I only like bgs for aesthetic reasons. I dont really care for graded cards in general. But could psa grade more bc of their cheaper prices?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
I only like bgs for aesthetic reasons. I dont really care for graded cards in general. But could psa grade more bc of their cheaper prices?

It is only cheaper if you grade a lot of cards. Remember BGS has no membership fee and runs a lot of specials too. They email and call people constantly.

I have sent cards to BGS once and it was cheaper on a per card basis for that submission but that is skewed because it was my first time and if I was a major bulk submitter PSA would end up being cheaper.

PSA delivered the knock out blow years ago when they developed the registry. It was brilliant. Never before would anyone consider paying record prices for commons in high grade. They have gotten many including myself to do it and it catapulted them miles ahead of their competition. There was a time where PSA went from having the bulk of the market share and lost a ton of it to BGS in the early 2000's. Those days ended a number of years ago and PSA has been at over 80% market share for quite some time.

At the end of the day competition is a good thing and I hope it continues. Beckett as a whole has faced significant difficulties from the collapse in their magazine distribution business with the number of copies sold down dramatically in the past 10 years. I continue to believe the largest risk to BGS slabs is the financial performance of Beckett and hopefully this doesn't become an issue.

Last edited by dpeck100; 10-14-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:40 AM   #49 (permalink)

Look you guys are right this is just a debate.

but dpeck when you say high end collectors are going to PSA over BGS is just wrong. There is no more high-end than MJ cards, lets be realistic. My bro has a collection that makes us wrestling card collectors just look silly when you compare $$$ wise.

eberyone he deals with is BGS only, PSA the leftovers they try to unload.

I have graded almost 50 wcw cards with bgs, and like I said im pretty anal. Ive got only one 10. I am the owner of that PSA 10 Tank ABbot geoff was talking about and I too cannot believe thats called a gem mint.

for me its vintage psa, bgs everything else.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Send it to PSA, BGS will grade anything. PSA is the only company I would trust.

Didn't Panini grade the T-206 Honus Wagner card that was admittedly altered/trimmed which made it sell for probably $1.5 Million more than it should have been worth. Ummm??? Only one you would trust?

That Absurdly Expensive Honus Wagner Baseball Card Was Actually Altered in the 80's | Extra Mustard - SI.com
Pat3ntP3nd1ng is offline   Reply With Quote