Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #26 (permalink)

@ DaCubs...

Thank you for at least providing a reasoned counterargument for us to discuss...

I'm not necessarily arguing for a lower box price, just for more/better content within the box. Or do you think that the product as current structured (i.e. 4 base cards + 1 "hit" for $90) is a good value for an individual box buyer?

Also, while many other products do drop in price after release, I don't think I've seen any other product drop 35% in the same week as it was released.

As to your last point about the checklist, you are right to some extent. More superstars probably does mean higher costs. But wouldn't it also mean higher sales? And I would also note that many of the athletes I suggested are deceased, and therefore would probably be quite reasonable to sign.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
@ DaCubs...

Thank you for at least providing a reasoned counterargument for us to discuss...

I'm not necessarily arguing for a lower box price, just for more/better content within the box. Or do you think that the product as current structured (i.e. 4 base cards + 1 "hit" for $90) is a good value for an individual box buyer?

Also, while many other products do drop in price after release, I don't think I've seen any other product drop 35% in the same week as it was released.

As to your last point about the checklist, you are right to some extent. More superstars probably does mean higher costs. But wouldn't it also mean higher sales? And I would also note that many of the athletes I suggested are deceased, and therefore would probably be quite reasonable to sign.
Do I think its good value?? probably not, its going to be hit or miss per box, thats a given, but thats also the same as any other sports box product...I don't think any of them are good value for their contents, but its the nature of the beast. The only products that I have found that consistantly have good vlaue is non-sports
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

There is no value in these at all... it is brutal

Which sucks because I love the look of the cards..

I bought 1 case this year....

IMO .. The product is made for 10-20 people...

I'm sure they were all at national getting all the spec patch cards..

Those are cool cards... They should put them in the product.. lol

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

I'd just note that a lot of 71 Series F base cards sold for $37 on Ebay, effectively giving them a value of about 50 cents each...
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
I'd just note that a lot of 71 Series F base cards sold for $37 on Ebay, effectively giving them a value of about 50 cents each...
Not a Sportking fan (I don't own one of their cards), but that's still about 49.5 cents more than base cards from other products........
raiderguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

I like Sportkings base cards. Not overproduced and affordable.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderguy10 View Post
Not a Sportking fan (I don't own one of their cards), but that's still about 49.5 cents more than base cards from other products........
True. But then consider that a box retails for about $90 and contains four base cards and one "hit"....
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #33 (permalink)

I would like to see autographed buyback base cards or /10 autographed base cards of the current series. Not sure what to do with deceased subjects? Make a cut auto or two for each? I like the incentives also. Series D was such a sweet deal, I traded in my box tops for Jumbo 1/1 memorabilia cards, Pele and Gretzky, not a bad little bonus Waiting to see my (4) cut autos I redeemed from F will be. Was thinking of going for the memorabilia cards, there are some great cards in there.

I redeemed my Made to Order card also, should be coming soon.

I agree in Series F, the Spectacular patches should have been in the regular cases as opposed to the National case incentive. Body of Works should have been the National incentive, maybe even autographed Body of Works. Include a case incentive bonus card.

I also prefer the cards being indivdually sleeved.

Perhaps short print some of the base cards like Series D with Ali, Lee and Nicklaus? That made complete sets more valuable.

SK is worth it to me just because they cards are all on card autographs!

Last edited by kakman; 10-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.
kakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #34 (permalink)

One potential viable way to enhance the set while giving it some modern updating would be to go the route of what Topps heritage used to do with hockey. Maintain the old school look but add the additional SP-refractor/matrix/prism hit of one of the cards with numbering (say /20). It would be fun to see what and oldschool design of Sportkings would look like with the modern technology. It would also add a pretty limited base set of /20 to scramble after.

Now by no means am I saying go all Panini putrification (blue pulsar, red pulsar, green, periwinkle, etc.) with 6-10 color variations of each. But if you look at the next letter in the line we have G for gold. Let's develop a "gold foil" variation for each of the base cards and the marketing comes naturally. Hell you can even foil older base sets and reprint at /10 (Series E and F) and /5 (series A,B,C, D) and be able to have one gold variant in just about every box.

Superset gold variation anyone?
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #35 (permalink)

This is "The Little Product That Couldn't" for me... I like the look of a select few of the cards but overall with the questions about the authenticity of the patches and the lack of value its just a product that I won't spend my money on.

I guess I will leave the improvement suggestions to those that actually do spend money on the product / company.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyzqna View Post
This is "The Little Product That Couldn't" for me... I like the look of a select few of the cards but overall with the questions about the authenticity of the patches and the lack of value its just a product that I won't spend my money on.
What question(s) do you have, or do you know of, regarding the authenticity of any of the patches that currently exist?

I don't know of a single one.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
What question(s) do you have, or do you know of, regarding the authenticity of any of the patches that currently exist?

Sportkings Ray Mercer memorabilia cards with blue trunks.

Evidently, Mercer has never worn blue trunks.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:

There is a lengthy conversation about the Carmelo Anthony patch being from a Swingman jersey and not from any college jersey he ever wore somewhere here on the forum. Based on the fact the stitching and the quality just do not match what is worn in a game......But a perfect match for what you can buy at Scheels Sports.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #39 (permalink)

I think authenticity of memorabilia is a hobby-wide problem, not anything specific to Sportkings. Items pass through too many hands in going from player to collectors, and there are too many unscrupulous people in the hobby these days. As a law enforcement official would say, the chain of custody simply isn't airtight enough. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that 80-90% of the memorabilia items floating around the hobby are not what they are being represented to be. I'm sure Dr. Price believes that everything he purchases to use in Sportkings is authentic, but unless he is purchasing them directly from the player it would be hard to prove.

For example, a jersey swatch purported to be from a 1927 Yankees Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig jersey looks absolutely identical to a jersey swatch from a 1927 Yankees Urban Shocker (the #3 starter) jersey, and there's almost no way to prove otherwise.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #40 (permalink)

I would like to see serial numbered parallels and logos. If Dr. Price could fulfill this request, I would never buy topps again. Well, except Allen & Ginter.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Sportkings Ray Mercer memorabilia cards with blue trunks.

Evidently, Mercer has never worn blue trunks.
Oh, you're talking the "Ringside Boxing" product, which is different than the "Sportkings" product.

The "Sportkings" product, (the one this thread was created to discuss), doesn't have even a single, existing memorabilia card that some can realistically claim as fake, that I am aware of, and I'm pretty knowledgeable regarding the "Sportkings" product, to say the least.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
There is a lengthy conversation about the Carmelo Anthony patch being from a Swingman jersey and not from any college jersey he ever wore somewhere here on the forum. Based on the fact the stitching and the quality just do not match what is worn in a game......But a perfect match for what you can buy at Scheels Sports.
And if you, or anyone else, have been paying attention, that issue was solved quickly by the company. That card has been removed from circulation. The owner has been made whole, and to my knowledge, not a single card from Sportkings exists with questionable memorabilia. Not one.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
And if you, or anyone else, have been paying attention, that issue was solved quickly by the company. That card has been removed from circulation. The owner has been made whole, and to my knowledge, not a single card from Sportkings exists with questionable memorabilia. Not one.
The fact it was created to begin with didn't strike you as odd? Or f*&#ed?
I wonder if they had his named spelled right. Apparently they not only will fix there spelling errors but they also fix there fake memorabilllia cards when caught. Awesome. Collect away.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder if they had his named spelled right. Apparently they not only will fix there spelling errors but they also fix there fake memorabilllia cards when caught. Awesome. Collect away.
I know it must suck to know Sportkings goes above and beyond what other manufacturers do when an unfortunate event happens.

It also must suck to know they weren't named as buying questionably fake memorabilia from questionable sources like other manufactures.

It probably also sucks to know they have had way less issues than other manufactures concerning authenticity.

Well, it only sucks if you don't collect Sportkings.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll take a company that fixes their mistakes and works with the collecting community every month, every week, every day of the collecting year over companies that put "event used-touched by athlete" crap into packs.

How many Lillard non-on card auto Flawless cards will Panini fix I wonder?

Other companies even have higher up employees as member IDs here and don't bother to list themselves as a manufacturer so people don't bombard them. When they get called out, what happens? Radio silence.

Price continues to openly work out any errors out and seeks out new ideas for his products from the collectors themselves. Why do we collect away from the the manufacturers that don't? Beats me.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #46 (permalink)

Is it just me that finds it ridiculous that there are numerous 1/1 patches created that were spelled incorrectly? A 1/1 and you don't research your athletes? Just saying, no wonder fake memorabillia got in their product if they don't even know the athletes they are creating.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Is it just me that finds it ridiculous that there are numerous 1/1 patches created that were spelled incorrectly? A 1/1 and you don't research your athletes? Just saying, no wonder fake memorabillia got in their product if they don't even know the athletes they are creating.
Nah, typos are typos. They aren't good, but they happen.

Now when a company purposely turns a blind eye to its "limited" colored variant autograph cards being back-doored, that's ridiculous. How do they not even know how may cards they created?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #48 (permalink)

My honest take on Sportskings in general. I like the product, the artwork is phenomenal on most of the cards. I wouldn't change the way they package it and add more base cards per package though. As you can see by Ebay auctions there isn't a whole lot of interest in base cards, from this set or any. I would think that having each card be a little bit of a chase would increase there value. As a wrestling collector I wouldn't mind having a Ric Flair and a mini parallel. I would think if the market was saturated and they were easier to come by it would just drive down individual prices and therefore drive down set prices even further. If I was mfw13 I think I would just be grateful for auctions that end that cheaply and build my sets and stack them for future value.

As far as a company goes, you guys are correct they seem to be very customer satisfaction orientated and quick to address and correct any issues. The patch cards they create are absolutely sick. I would love to see mwheelers pc sometime, it has to be just jaw dropping.

But the misspellings and even the fact the Anthony and a few questionable others were made just has me shaking my head. So I guess in a nut shell what I am saying is what I would like to see changed in future sportskings products and something that may actually make me a collector would be a little more time quality checking and research put into the final product. The patches are sick but there shouldn't be misspellings or questions of authenticity. One mistake, understandable, multiple on 1/1's? Are you kidding me?

I hope they continue to churn out quality product though and just fix some of the typos, etc...

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 11-01-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post

Now when a company purposely turns a blind eye to its "limited" colored variant autograph cards being back-doored, that's ridiculous. How do they not even know how may cards they created?
I am the biggest Leaf collector of all and don't even get me started on them.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I am the biggest Leaf collector of all and don't even get me started on them.
I know dude, I just pushed a button on you.

And what you said above is accurate. Any time a company makes a mistake it always gives pause to collectors and you are only left with the personal question of does this error rise to asking "do I continue with this company or not?". I take assurance that Price is one of the only ones that personally steps up and corrects mistakes if they occur.

Now, if a company were to release a spreadsheet detailing the MEIGray or Team Issued control numbers of every jersey used in the production of that set, that would be better than any salesflyer out there imho. We know Panini would never do that.

Oh and by the way, I advocated earlier on for Jake Roberts in Sportkings with "canvas snake bag" or snakeskin boot pieces. Here's hoping that Sportkings makes some incredible wrestling pieces ahead to add to your collection.