Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default SPORTKINGS - what changes would you like to see for Series G?

For me, the biggest change I would like to see would be for individual boxes to offer better value for money. Right now, Sportkings as it is currently structured does not offer very good value for money. Four base cards (which generally sell for $1-2 each) + one “hit” (usually worth less than $50) for $90a box is simply not good value. And judging by what boxes of Series F have been going for on Ebay, I’m not the only one who feels this way. It’s not a good thing when a week after release your product is already selling at a 35%discount…(see auction #360709487975).

The problem with the way the product is structured is twofold, as I see it.

First, because there are only four base cards per box, boxes offer no value to collectors such as myself whose primary goal is to complete the base set, especially given that you can usually buy a complete base set for $30-50, a fraction of the price of a single box.

Second, individual boxes offer a poor value proposition to collectors wanting simply to buy a box or two to rip for fun. A cursory analysis of public box breaks and EBay sale prices tells you that probably 70-80% of all boxes are money losers, with 15-20% yielding hits valuable enough to break even, and 5-10% yielding a hit worth more than the cost of a box.

Therefore the only people for whom it makes financial sense to buy Sportkings are those who can afford to buy an entire case…and that’s not very many people.

So, with the goal in mind of improving the value proposition for ALL types of collectors, I would offer the following suggestions:

1) Increase substantially the number of base cards in a box (ideally to 12-16 cards), so that set-builders can come close to completing the base set by buying three or four boxes.

2) Add box-toppers or other oversized cards. One box-topper per box, with 25% being autographed, would not only add value for collectors, but also provide another avenue to highlight and emphasize the gorgeous Sportkings artwork. You could do 5”x7” box-toppers not only of all the base cards dating back to Series A, but also of all of Jared Kelley’s gorgeous artwork. And how about making 5”x7” versions of the Memorable Moments, since it appears that none of the images in Series F will otherwise ever be seen in their complete form.

3) Add more star power to the checklist…the Series E checklist was great (Ripken, Griffey, Sandberg, Rickey Henderson, Sayers, Hornung, Franco Harris, Borg, Navratilova, David Robinson, Guy LaFleur, Doyle Brunson, etc.). The Series F checklist, in comparison, was decidedly mediocre (Gordie Howe, Shaq, Carl Lewis, ???).

For me, there are three specific areas in which Sportkings' checklists have been underwhelming: 50’s/60’s baseball, tennis, and soccer. In baseball, Sportkings will never be complete without base cards of Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Feller, Spahn, and Koufax. In tennis, you’ve got Laver, Billie Jean King, Evert, McEnroe, Connors, Becker, Graf, Agassi, and Sampras all yet to appear, never mind active players such as Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Andy Murray, and the Williams sisters. In soccer, we’ve had two Pele cards, DiStefano, and Stanley Matthews, but not a single superstar from the last 30 years (Cristiano Ronaldo doesn’t count to me, since he didn’t have a base card) and not a single member of the US Men’s National Team.

Additionally, you’ve got quite a few major football, basketball, and hockey stars who have yet to appear, such as Otto Graham, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre, Bob Cousy, Elgin Baylor, Willis Reed, Kareem, Dr. J, Patrick Ewing, Bobby Clarke, Bossy/Potvin/Trottier from the early 80’s Islanders dynasty, Ray Bourque, Steve Yzerman, Nick Lidstrom, and Dominik Hasek.

Now I realize that Dr. Price may have already tried to sign many of these players and not been able to reach agreements with them (I know from previous communications with him that that is the case with Mays, Aaron, and Agassi), but nevertheless, improving the quality of the checklist to the point where each series has 10-12 genuine superstars/all-time greats would go a long way towards improving the value of each box, while at the same time allowing for the inclusion of the more obscure athletes for which Sportkings is well known.

Thoughts?
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have a dog in this race, the only thing I can't really disagree with though - is the base card suggestion.

That would push cost up (production,packaging, and shipping), while pushing the value down even on those base cards even more. Double edged sword when it comes to something like that.

If anything, I would ask for the product to be more limited - maybe less frequent production runs? Why does this have to come out every year? Why can't it come out every 18-24 months?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
If anything, I would ask for the product to be more limited - maybe less frequent production runs? Why does this have to come out every year? Why can't it come out every 18-24 months?
This would help the Sportkings market. Having a new release each year doesn't give the hobby enough time to absorb the previous release, in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Zerokruel -- increasing the base cards doesn't do anything but add cost and decrease the value of the base cards. . .

Personally, while I love Sportkings, they haven't had an athlete in the last several sets that I have collected, so I'd like to see that change. . .
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know it wouldn't really affect much, but I'd like to see the cards within a pack inside the box.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
I agree with Zerokruel -- increasing the base cards doesn't do anything but add cost and decrease the value of the base cards. . .
What costs would it add besides printing costs (which are fairly cheap)?

And how can the value of base cards decrease any further from where it is now....most base cards from series C-F already only sell for about $1 each.

The problem is that because it is prohibitively expensive to build a set through buying wax (since you need to buy an entire case to do so), people like me instead buy complete sets from other case rippers on Ebay (usually for $30-50), which has killed the market for individual base cards.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Authentic patches ¿
sykopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykopat View Post
Authentic patches ¿
Stupid, worthless post.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

U mad bro ?
sykopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
What costs would it add besides printing costs (which are fairly cheap)?

And how can the value of base cards decrease any further from where it is now....most base cards from series C-F already only sell for about $1 each.

The problem is that because it is prohibitively expensive to build a set through buying wax (since you need to buy an entire case to do so), people like me instead buy complete sets from other case rippers on Ebay (usually for $30-50), which has killed the market for individual base cards.

I'll answer your question with a question, have you opened Topps, Panini, Upper Deck? Look at those base card values.

This is Microeconomics 101... "If demand remains unchanged and supply increases, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price."

*** NEW CARDS ADDED TO COMC 6/8/14 ***
weedyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedyalan View Post
I'll answer your question with a question, have you opened Topps, Panini, Upper Deck? Look at those base card values.

This is Microeconomics 101... "If demand remains unchanged and supply increases, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price."
All true. But my point is that if you make it easier to complete the base set, then demand for base cards will increase. Right now, demand for individual base cards is largely non-existent because it is prohibitively expensive to complete a set through buying wax.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
All true. But my point is that if you make it easier to complete the base set, then demand for base cards will increase. Right now, demand for individual base cards is largely non-existent because it is prohibitively expensive to complete a set through buying wax.
That doesn't make much sense to me.

From a dealer perspective, when base sets are "premium" style cards - they hold their value and do better in the secondary. When you start adding more base content to the boxes, you only hurt the value. Yes, your end goal of obtaining a set becomes easier - but again at what cost?

*Production cost goes up
*If their in top loaders, that's cost
*Additional packing out - i.e. labor
*Bigger box for the additional cards - also means a larger case, so packaging has gone up.
*Since we've added weight to the product, now you're looking at an increase in shipping also

So you've added all that cost to the boxes, and when the boxes get ripped and the market gets flooded with base cards and prices crash... Was the additional cost worth it?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 10-19-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Not gonna matter, this is like the 5th thread the OP has made about how he dislikes Sportkings and why it doesn't hold value for him...meanwhile, Dr. Price has more than been willing to answer his questions and yet the the OP gets upset the Dr. Price isn't doing enough to sign these atheletes...or make sportkings with more base cards so set collectors can get the set easier when busting...

essentially saying sportkings should have more base cards so that he can build a set without having to buy so many boxes...then argues that sportkings boxes loses its value from the original msrp...ummmm...doesn't most boxes from any company lose its value from msrp??
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
Not gonna matter, this is like the 5th thread the OP has made about how he dislikes Sportkings and why it doesn't hold value for him...meanwhile, Dr. Price has more than been willing to answer his questions and yet the the OP gets upset the Dr. Price isn't doing enough to sign these atheletes...or make sportkings with more base cards so set collectors can get the set easier when busting...

essentially saying sportkings should have more base cards so that he can build a set without having to buy so many boxes...then argues that sportkings boxes loses its value from the original msrp...ummmm...doesn't most boxes from any company lose its value from msrp??
Not true.

If you have actually read my posts carefully, I state repeatedly that I LOVE SPORTKINGS BASE CARDS. I just want to be able to afford to build my set the traditional way, i.e. by opening boxes, rather than having to buy a complete set from somebody on EBay. Is that too much to ask?

And Dr. Price, rather than actually attempting to address or discuss my concerns, has basically slammed me for having the temerity to bring them up.
I'm still looking forward to having a discussion with him about why he has chosen to structure the product the way he does and/or the process he uses to choose who appears in each series...
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
That doesn't make much sense to me.

From a dealer perspective, when base sets are "premium" style cards - they hold their value and do better in the secondary. When you start adding more base content to the boxes, you only hurt the value. Yes, your end goal of obtaining a set becomes easier - but again at what cost?

*Production cost goes up
*If their in top loaders, that's cost
*Additional packing out - i.e. labor
*Bigger box for the additional cards - also means a larger case, so packaging has gone up.
*Since we've added weight to the product, now you're looking at an increase in shipping also

So you've added all that cost to the boxes, and when the boxes get ripped and the market gets flooded with base cards and prices crash... Was the additional cost worth it?
Are you really so naive as to believe the numbers of base cards in a Sportkings box has ANYTHING to do with the box price? The box price of a "hit-driven" product like Sportkings on the secondary market is determined solely by the perceived value of the "hits", and judging by the prices Series F boxes have been selling for on the secondary market, I'm not the only one who was less than impressed with both the checklist and the quality of the "hits".
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Not true.

If you have actually read my posts carefully, I state repeatedly that I LOVE SPORTKINGS BASE CARDS. I just want to be able to afford to build my set the traditional way, i.e. by opening boxes, rather than having to buy a complete set from somebody on EBay. Is that too much to ask?

And Dr. Price, rather than actually attempting to address or discuss my concerns, has basically slammed me for having the temerity to bring them up.
I'm still looking forward to having a discussion with him about why he has chosen to structure the product the way he does and/or the process he uses to choose who appears in each series...
yes, you have said you love sportkings, but you also keep saying the same things over and over:

1) You want it cheaper so you can open more boxes to build your base sets...to make the product with a lower msrp and more base cards, would you be willing to accept more memorabilia boxes and less auto boxes??

2) You want to know why he structures his product that way?? because it still sells, if it ain't broke why would he lessen his product??

3) You want to know the process he uses to choose athletes?? He addressed this in one of your threads about the poll on his site. Also you keep wanting guys that he has tried to sign but couldn't...it also doesn't make sense to load all the heavy hitters into 1 series and then have a nobody list for the next series...you want more common names from the big sports, but sportkings is also about the obscure guys whose sports get no love...
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
yes, you have said you love sportkings, but you also keep saying the same things over and over:

1) You want it cheaper so you can open more boxes to build your base sets...to make the product with a lower msrp and more base cards, would you be willing to accept more memorabilia boxes and less auto boxes??

2) You want to know why he structures his product that way?? because it still sells, if it ain't broke why would he lessen his product??

3) You want to know the process he uses to choose athletes?? He addressed this in one of your threads about the poll on his site. Also you keep wanting guys that he has tried to sign but couldn't...it also doesn't make sense to load all the heavy hitters into 1 series and then have a nobody list for the next series...you want more common names from the big sports, but sportkings is also about the obscure guys whose sports get no love...
To address your comments:

1) Yes. Because I couldn't care less about the memorabilia or the autos. There are already plenty of both floating around the hobby. In my opinion, what makes Sportkings special is the quality of its artwork and the fact that it covers all sports, NOT its memorabilia cards and autographs.

2) Really? I'm sure it sells to some extent, but I don't know too many other products whose price drops 35% from MSRP the same week it is released. And judging by the volume of cards that has shown up on Ebay (for example only 19 of the 100 Ronaldo autos, only 4 out of 80 "Memorable Moments" cards, only 7 out of 81 of the "Original Artwork" cards), the product isn't selling too well. Even accounting for the fact that many cards change hands off-Ebay, I'm guessing significantly less than 50% of the print run has been sold.

3) He didn't address it at all. He mentioned that Mays & Aaron would only do more autos than Sportkings needed, and that he had been negotiating with Agassi for four years without success.

My perspective is quite simple. Sportkings should be the "holy grail" of sportscard products, as befitting its history and name. It should feature the greatest athletes from all sports, both major and minor. It should be focused on its strengths (i.e. its artwork) not on "hits" (like most other products in the hobby). It should be a product everyone can afford to open, not another product that is priced so high that only case-rippers and flippers can afford it.
It should be extraordinary...and right now its not.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think the main problem is you are talking about an ideal set you would create for yourself if you had an unlimited budget, the ability to get everyone you wanted to sign, and your sole interests of what you think the product should be in mind and didn't care about the general publics opinion. I for one could give two damns about the base cards out of a box and building a base set, unfortunately for dudes like yourself there are a lot more people like me in this world that feel this way, then don't and you do not run the market. The product isn't or hasn't been specifically designed for you and no matter how long you rant about it, it's never going to be.
ryangeorgelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
I think the main problem is you are talking about an ideal set you would create for yourself if you had an unlimited budget, the ability to get everyone you wanted to sign, and your sole interests of what you think the product should be in mind and didn't care about the general publics opinion. I for one could give two damns about the base cards out of a box and building a base set, unfortunately for dudes like yourself there are a lot more people like me in this world that feel this way, then don't and you do not run the market. The product isn't or hasn't been specifically designed for you and no matter how long you rant about it, it's never going to be.
Do you even collect Sportkings? If so, what do you collect from the product and why? Because make no mistake, Sportkings identity as a product is its base card design. Without that, it's just another ordinary run-of-the-mill brand.

As to your comment, given that I'm not sure what the point of it is, I'm not sure what to say. Many of the atheletes which I discussed in my original post would be neither expensive nor difficult to include in the set (especially those who are deceased), and most are all-time greats in their sport. Are you telling me that Sportkings would NOT be a better product with more of them in the checklist?

All I'm doing is making suggestions and trying to provide a thread for other people to make theirs, so I certainly do want to hear other people's opinions. But just because they disagree with me isn't going to make me change mine. To quote your rant, I certainly do not think that I run the market nor that the product should be designed just the way I want it. But I do think that set collectors like me are an important segment of the market, especially for a "retro" type product like Sportkings, and I do think that the product can be improved without taking away from what it already is.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

My rant lol. I made a two sentence statement because I am sick of reading you bitch about a product you claim to love. If you don't like it move on, all I said, all I meant. Rant, lol, just sick of reading the same old sh*t

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, and that was simply mine. If I don't like a product and the way it is packaged, distributed, whatever I find one that I do........

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 10-20-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeorgelaw View Post
My rant lol. I made a two sentence statement because I am sick of reading you bitch about a product you claim to love. If you don't like it move on, all I said, all I meant. Rant, lol, just sick of reading the same old sh*t
I'm not "bitching" about the product....I'm commenting in a reasoned fashion about how it is priced and structured and expressing my disappointment that it does not make financial sense for me (and other set collectors like me) to buy it as is it currently priced/structured.

If you are sick of reading what I have to say, then don't....nobody is forcing you to read this or any other thread I start...
Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you even collect Sportkings? If so, what do you collect from the product and why? Because make no mistake, Sportkings identity as a product is its base card design. Without that, it's just another ordinary run-of-the-mill brand.

As to your comment, given that I'm not sure what the point of it is, I'm not sure what to say. Many of the atheletes which I discussed in my original post would be neither expensive nor difficult to include in the set (especially those who are deceased), and most are all-time greats in their sport. Are you telling me that Sportkings would NOT be a better product with more of them in the checklist?

All I'm doing is making suggestions and trying to provide a thread for other people to make theirs, so I certainly do want to hear other people's opinions. But just because they disagree with me isn't going to make me change mine. To quote your rant, I certainly do not think that I run the market nor that the product should be designed just the way I want it. But I do think that set collectors like me are an important segment of the market, especially for a "retro" type product like Sportkings, and I do think that the product can be improved without taking away from what it already is.
And you know that they would not be expensive or not difficult, how???? I'm sure you have tried to negotiate with many athletes...you don't know what peoples demands are in the negotiating process...I would like nothing more than the best players out there in the product, but that would increase the cost and you seem to think they can sign anyone with ease if they really tried...but put some blame on the athletes wanting too much, when sportkings has tried...

Its fine to make a thread, but no need to make 5...

Maybe set builders are important, but if its a smaller segment of the population, a manufacturer is going to go with the majority
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

You can babble all you want, I think the only people that read the post anyways are the ones like myself who clicked on it because it was at the top of the page. I don't think anyone could be reading it because they expect something to change or Dr. Price to take the time to explain why they don't have everybody signed again. Or for him to justify their price structure or the number of singles they put into a box. They are happy with their product, they have plenty of people who are. I don' see your points. To each there own though, I have better things to do with my time than to even follow up on this when I leave my computer in a minute. Good luck on getting Sportskings to have every athlete you have ever desired and building a base set from one box next year.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
To address your comments:

1) Yes. Because I couldn't care less about the memorabilia or the autos. There are already plenty of both floating around the hobby. In my opinion, what makes Sportkings special is the quality of its artwork and the fact that it covers all sports, NOT its memorabilia cards and autographs.+

and you're in the small minority, so you want them to have better athletes, more base cards, and sell it cheaper, even though it will cost them more to secure more atheletes and better athletes, to satisfy the minority...sure...makes a lot of business sense

2) Really? I'm sure it sells to some extent, but I don't know too many other products whose price drops 35% from MSRP the same week it is released. And judging by the volume of cards that has shown up on Ebay (for example only 19 of the 100 Ronaldo autos, only 4 out of 80 "Memorable Moments" cards, only 7 out of 81 of the "Original Artwork" cards), the product isn't selling too well. Even accounting for the fact that many cards change hands off-Ebay, I'm guessing significantly less than 50% of the print run has been sold.

Look how many other sports products drop in price after release...every product ends up normalizing to the market...unless you have inside info on the amount of product left at sportkings unsold, you don't really know do you? key word in your last line "guessing"

3) He didn't address it at all. He mentioned that Mays & Aaron would only do more autos than Sportkings needed, and that he had been negotiating with Agassi for four years without success.

he mentioned already using the poll on their site...what do you want, an account for every athlete??

My perspective is quite simple. Sportkings should be the "holy grail" of sportscard products, as befitting its history and name. It should feature the greatest athletes from all sports, both major and minor. It should be focused on its strengths (i.e. its artwork) not on "hits" (like most other products in the hobby). It should be a product everyone can afford to open, not another product that is priced so high that only case-rippers and flippers can afford it.
It should be extraordinary...and right now its not.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykopat View Post
Authentic patches ¿
I have to say one last thing. I think this hit in on the head and explains exactly why I don't buy SportsKings to begin with. If I am going to get a 1/1 patch card of Carmelo Anthony it sure as hell better not be from a swingman jersey from Scheels Sports. Some of the last ones were really questionable. If they are authentic I feel bad for Sportskings being falsely accused. If they are as fake as some of them look, (ie Carmelo Anthony's that doesn't even have the right stitching) I feel bad for anyone who bought any of the product.

And I have a big problem with the fact they take the time to make 1/1 patches and spend so little time making them they don't even take the time to google search or spell check on them and have a bunch of guys names spelled wrong. 1/1 swingman Scottie Pippin patch, no thanks.

Last edited by ryangeorgelaw; 10-20-2013 at 09:19 AM.