Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

So I would think ESPN has talked to WWE about letting them use the footage from WCCW. They own the rights to it.

Who do you think they interview for it. Kevin is the main person.
Sure Michael Hayes will be involved, probably Ric Flair, King Kong Bundy, Abdullah Butcher.. But man a lot of the guys from that time aren't around anymore. Is the Missing Link still around? I remember him being in that territory. The other Freebirds have died, along with Rick Rude, Bruiser Brody, Chris Adams, Gary Hart, Skanbar ect.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Deeks

Not sure about Hayes since he's a WWE guy, unless they give the OK on this.

Bill Mercer, Jimmy Garvin, Cornette, Mark Lowrance, and a few other small timers. I know there's a lot of deaths in wrestling, but holy crap the WCCW crew was hit hard, especially the upper card.
Deeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

If memory serves me, WCCW was syndicated on ESPN, or which I don't know if they actually have some sort of right to that footage the same way they do their AWA stuff. Vince has the library, but who knows.

A full interview with Kevin wouldn't be fun. He really doesn't have a lot left upstairs above his shoulders and has been kayfabing to the point even he believes his stories. Hayes would be awesome, but if its a complete burial of a promotion Vince owns the footage of, I highly doubt he lets his contracted guys take part in it. He doesn't need any bad pub.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
If memory serves me, WCCW was syndicated on ESPN, or which I don't know if they actually have some sort of right to that footage the same way they do their AWA stuff. Vince has the library, but who knows.

A full interview with Kevin wouldn't be fun. He really doesn't have a lot left upstairs above his shoulders and has been kayfabing to the point even he believes his stories. Hayes would be awesome, but if its a complete burial of a promotion Vince owns the footage of, I highly doubt he lets his contracted guys take part in it. He doesn't need any bad pub.

Amazon.com: Kevin VonErich Presents - Best of the VonErichs: Andre the Giant, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Kevin VonErich, Mike VonErich, David VonErich: Movies & TV

I bought this DVD thinking it would be really cool and unfortunately it wasn't. Kevin seems pretty burnt out quite frankly. I agree it appears he makes some stuff up that seems like it is just wrestling folklore.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeks View Post
Fritz deserves more blame than anyone.

Sure they were adults, but everyone turned a blind eye to what they did. Fame, no rules, 80's drug culture, they were out of control but nobody could or would step up and do anything.
It would have been easier said then done. These guys were rock stars. Everything that could come with fame did.

I can't imagine waking up and thinking wow tonight at the nightclub when I leave chicks will be literally ambushing my car and falling off it. In a grocery store some random female may start crying because they see me. Things such as this could play some serious tricks on the mind.

It is impossible for anyone to put themselves in their shoes and I don't even try to understand why they did what they did. I just think wow this was a great time in wrestling and it is shame it turned out this way.

I really hope one day the WWE puts out more DVD's that cover the Texas territory and allow fans such as me to see more of the crazy action.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
Amazon.com: Kevin VonErich Presents - Best of the VonErichs: Andre the Giant, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Kevin VonErich, Mike VonErich, David VonErich: Movies & TV

I bought this DVD thinking it would be really cool and unfortunately it wasn't. Kevin seems pretty burnt out quite frankly. I agree it appears he makes some stuff up that seems like it is just wrestling folklore.
That DVD has some excellent matches. Its a shame Kevin and David Manning are the guys offering up the commentary on them. Both are still kayfabing and like I said, Kevin just doesn't have the memory outside of the angle itself and doesn't really go into the actual happenings.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
That DVD has some excellent matches. Its a shame Kevin and David Manning are the guys offering up the commentary on them. Both are still kayfabing and like I said, Kevin just doesn't have the memory outside of the angle itself and doesn't really go into the actual happenings.
There is definately some great footage on the DVD. I was disapointed it was just a little over an hour for the price I paid but no big deal.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #33 (permalink)

The Official Von Erich Family WCCW Game contains cards of Mike Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich, and Kevin Von Erich.

Made in 1985, the complete game is very scarce, and it is very rare to see the cards come up as singles.

There is a facebook page with some good photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1148034&type=3
Old 11-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
The Official Von Erich Family WCCW Game contains cards of Mike Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich, and Kevin Von Erich.

Made in 1985, the complete game is very scarce, and it is very rare to see the cards come up as singles.

There is a facebook page with some good photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1148034&type=3
I'm not even gonna lie, but I owned that game back in the day. I know for a fact the pieces will be impossible to find in high grade, until dpeck finds them, of course.

If I recall, the cards folded over and into a plastic stand piece. Finding those cards un-folded will be a really great hunt. I'm gonna go to mt parents home and see if its still there. Sure it is, but hitting up a Goodwill or two along the way wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not even gonna lie, but I owned that game back in the day. I know for a fact the pieces will be impossible to find in high grade, until dpeck finds them, of course.

If I recall, the cards folded over and into a plastic stand piece. Finding those cards un-folded will be a really great hunt. I'm gonna go to mt parents home and see if its still there. Sure it is, but hitting up a Goodwill or two along the way wouldn't hurt.
You motivated me to pull the trigger on a brand new one that was listed the other day on EBAY.

Once I get it I will bust it open and see how they look.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
You motivated me to pull the trigger on a brand new one that was listed the other day on EBAY.

Once I get it I will bust it open and see how they look.
Keep it coming, my friend. In your opinion, would it be the figure cards or the stat cards from this game that would be considered the better piece? I could see it either way with the figure card being the more sensitive of the two. Get that bad boy and post up some pictures. Those cards would be pretty darn tough to come across as I really don't see too many of those games around. If memory serves me the game was mail order only outside of the Metroplex and even then it wasn't in big box stores.

If dpeck don't have a wrestling card in high grade, it doesn't exist.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #37 (permalink)

It looks like the seller has more as they listed another one right away if anyone is interested.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
It looks like the seller has more as they listed another one right away if anyone is interested.
Already on it. Looks like he has more then two.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

It might take some work to get PSA to grade these but if they look cool when I get them I certainly will try.

When I looked at other examples listed it appears that the figure cards are really small and then the question cards are like playing cards with no photos on them. If this is the case then obviously the figure cards would be better.

I am always open to buying new wrestling cards so we will just have to see how this purchase turns out.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Keep it coming, my friend. In your opinion, would it be the figure cards or the stat cards from this game that would be considered the better piece? I could see it either way with the figure card being the more sensitive of the two. Get that bad boy and post up some pictures. Those cards would be pretty darn tough to come across as I really don't see too many of those games around. If memory serves me the game was mail order only outside of the Metroplex and even then it wasn't in big box stores.

If dpeck don't have a wrestling card in high grade, it doesn't exist.
You are giving me to much credit. There are still some holes in my collection I promise. That being said I am always trying to fill them.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
It might take some work to get PSA to grade these but if they look cool when I get them I certainly will try.

When I looked at other examples listed it appears that the figure cards are really small and then the question cards are like playing cards with no photos on them. If this is the case then obviously the figure cards would be better.

I am always open to buying new wrestling cards so we will just have to see how this purchase turns out.
If I remember correctly the game also comes with stat cards with a photo on them. These are the cards I am talking about. It was the VE boys and I think King Parsons, Chris and Gino who were in a red hot feud with the boys at the time, One Man Gang who I think was already in the WWF, and somebody who was just a one shot.

This is a most interesting find. It would be interesting it they could be graded.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #42 (permalink)

I certainly plan to open it so once I get it I will posts scans or make a new video. I like those becuase they are no where near the work as scans and are fun to make while I am having drinks.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
If I remember correctly the game also comes with stat cards with a photo on them. These are the cards I am talking about. It was the VE boys and I think King Parsons, Chris and Gino who were in a red hot feud with the boys at the time, One Man Gang who I think was already in the WWF, and somebody who was just a one shot.

This is a most interesting find. It would be interesting it they could be graded.
Just nitpicking, but Gang would have gone to the UWF, then WWF. He probably didn't debut in the WWF until '87 (maybe late '86, but I doubt it).
Old 11-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #44 (permalink)

One Man Gang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I loved the Gang-Duggan feud as a kid. Damn, Watts' UWF was the best thing ever. Such great television.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #46 (permalink)

The game brand new at $50 is a steal.

Looks like the seller has a few, but you don't see these come up too often, even used or cards missing.

I don't see any reason PSA wouldn't grade the cards.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #47 (permalink)

I got the new Mid South DVD when it came out and enjoyed watching it. They had some footage from the UWF days including the Blade Runner's.

It is always fun to watch older wrestling that I never had a chance to see. It was just a different time in the world and especially wrestling. I have a hard time making it through an entire wrestling show that is current unfortunately. I would rather just sit with the computer and watch Youtube videos from the 80's.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
I got the new Mid South DVD when it came out and enjoyed watching it. They had some footage from the UWF days including the Blade Runner's.

It is always fun to watch older wrestling that I never had a chance to see. It was just a different time in the world and especially wrestling. I have a hard time making it through an entire wrestling show that is current unfortunately. I would rather just sit with the computer and watch Youtube videos from the 80's.
The Mid-South dvd was good, could have been a lot better. Of course, that's coming from someone that was a huge fan. I'm just glad the WWE was able to make a deal to finally get the tapes. Bill Watts' ex-wife actually owned the collection. A few years ago she started selling copies of various house shows and Mid-South/UWF television blocks. I picked up quite a few items.

I don't even watch a second of anything current, but I can sit down and watch old territorial stuff all day long.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #49 (permalink)

It looks like the next one listed didn't last to long and perhaps another one as well.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #50 (permalink)

Dpeck would be cool to see a video opening of your Von Erichs game.

I've never seen the game or cards in the game.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote