Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beckett Sports Card Monthly Coverage of Wrestling Cards....

In 2010 I subscribed to this magazine after seeing that they had a limited amount of coverage on wrestling cards. Unfortunately the coverage was very limited and would appear one month and be gone for two.

In the past year or so it seems it is in there every month and they have gotten more active with price changes. I think it would be a great idea for them to run a larger story on wrestling cards.

There have been very small stories about the cards but I think one that focuses on the 80's and 90's and early 2000's that covers the key cards would be great.

Earlier in the year most of us participated in a thread that tried to rank what we felt were the best cards. One of things that made that tough was the grading element and new vs. old. I personally have no interest in new wrestling cards and many of those collectors have no interest in vintage wrestling cards so we will never agree on a list.

It is no secret anymore that the certain cards command money but there are tons of other great cards from various sets that should be highlighted as well.

Here is what a I propose. Beckett should make a list of some of the better cards from the early wrestling sets and showcase a photo of each with a small bio about the card or set.

1) The Wrestling All Stars series

2) WWF Topps, OPC

3) Carnation Major League Wrestling

4) 1987 and 1988 Wonderama

5) 1989/1990 WWF Market Scene

6) 1991 and 1992 WWF Merlin

7) 1993 WCW Magazine Collectors Series #3

7) 1995 to 1997 WWF Magazine Series

8) 1998/1999 WCW/NWO Autographs

9) 2002 WWE Royal Rumble

This is just a quick list of some of the better sets but something I think would be really cool.

Let me know your thoughts and perhaps specific cards that should be listed. Some may want the story to highlight earlier cards and I certainly think that would be cool too.

Last edited by dpeck100; 11-26-2013 at 09:39 AM.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would like to see the top 2 sets get some attention and that would the Wrestling all stars 82/83 and the 1998/1999 WCW/NWO Autograph set. Both of those sets are the most valuable in terms of price and you can even say one set is vintage and the other is a bit more modern. I know the carnation set has some valuable cards but the set is too small as far as checklist goes to compete with these 2 sets. I think both the all star set and wcw auto set would surprise people who are not familiar with wrestling, in regards to how rare some of the cards are and how much of a premium they draw. It could help to bring wrestling cards more into the light.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hear ya on featuring some of these cards but while I understand the vintage cards are a bit more limited on their collecting I would say that the 1973 annuals and the 1974 Yamakatsu Andre the Giant cards deserve some love. I have done very well selling the annuals and features the earliest collectible in graded form of Andre the Giant and if for whatever reason they do not strike your wrestling fancy, the 1974 Yamakatsu Andre the Giant is a similar iconic card in my opinion. I think any cards of Andre the Giant deserve special mention for the masses.

Here is my recent haul.......
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does Beckett want to do an article or something we want to push to them?
SumoMenkoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoMenkoMan View Post
Does Beckett want to do an article or something we want to push to them?

Not to my knowledge. It is something I think they should do.

I thought I recall someone saying the editor reads the boards and has a small interest in wrestling cards and with the large increase in activity in the market I think it would be great.

The number of active wrestling card listings on EBAY is up by easily 25,000 from just four years ago so clearly there is more interest in the genre.

I used to be able to scroll through all of the listings with the key word wrestling and now I give up fairly quickly.

So much attention is paid to new product but in reality most of that is only chased for the auto's and falls by the way side quickly. There are so many people who grew up watching wrestling in its hay day and even if they don't collect the cards can still get a kick out of seeing their old favorites.

Current trading cards are all driven by inserts or auto's and one of the great things in my opinion about vintage cards in general is the base card was king.

There have been exciting new sets like the Leaf Wrestling product and with another one coming out there is certainly going to be some interest in it.

I thought it would be fun to discuss the cards one would want included and if it ever happened that would be even better.

Even cross over cards like the Rock's Miami Hurricanes card or Bill Goldberg's Georgia Bulldogs card could be included.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Would be nice to see more press on wrestling cards in the mags.
Seeing the rare and key cards from each set.

Favorite one so far is in PSA/SMR magazine on dpecks 82/83 All Stars collection.
Any chance they do an updated story on your collection and expand it to some other key older cards you own. I know they have run a few stories on Kevin Robertson 1980's Football sets over a few different issues.
Would be cool to see stories on big old school auto collections and how tough some are to find....
I'd like to see stories on WCW/NWO autos. So many quirks on lot of those cards.
The super collections from recent Leaf release.
Key rookie cards of more recent big stars that are tough to find in nice shape like Austin, Undertaker, Hart, HHH ect.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

In August of 2009 I bought my first Wrestling All Stars sets. I had never purchased any sets that were more then $175 and a few singles that were close to $300 in all my days of collecting baseball and basketball cards.

When I came across the sets they were listed for what seemed like a lot to me and I held off and then after two weeks the seller lowered them in half and I put in an opening bid as my max and went to bed. I woke up and saw I won them and was really pleased.

I had never looked at the checklists and only knew of the five cards that were graded from the two sets and when I got them I was blown away when I saw the depth of wrestlers featured. I purchased the 82 A and B in this lot. The seller was really great and sent me some raw duplicates too.

My first set of the 1982 A came with a PSA 9 Hulk Hogan and PSA 9 Jerry Lawler. I was finding very little if any pricing online and so I went to Target to see if they had a current Beckett. I am a big Brock Lesnar fan and was excited to see he was on the cover and bought it.

I paid more then the book price but figured I didn't do to bad since a few good one's were graded and shortly there after started buying more cards.

Sept 2009

[/URL]

Pricing

[/URL]

When I saw the listed price for the 1982 B I was a little disappointed because I paid a much greater percentage above this price at the time. In the end it worked out but I was a little concerned.

Clearly wrestling cards have come a long way since this period of time and it would be good for Beckett to showcase something new in their monthly magazine.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the All Star cards have been covered enough they already have gained mainstream attention. Many of the other sets however could use the publicity.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

I never see Beckett Monthly for sale anymore. I used to see it at Walmart once in a while a few years ago. I think the circulation has really gone downhill.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I never see Beckett Monthly for sale anymore. I used to see it at Walmart once in a while a few years ago. I think the circulation has really gone downhill.
I agree, they used to be everywhere. Seems like they are starting to die off. People will pay what they want for a card, following what Beckett says does not always make sense.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
I agree, they used to be everywhere. Seems like they are starting to die off. People will pay what they want for a card, following what Beckett says does not always make sense.

Yes obviously Beckett is just a guide.

I do not want to turn this into a anti Beckett thread but part of the reason as a company they have become so much more weak is their magazine business has collapsed.

The number of magazines sold is down in the range of 80% from 10 years ago.

Every once in a while they have some cool features in this magazine and a larger spread on the fringe markets like wrestling would be fresh and new and if done right would be an enjoyable piece for their readers.

I also would like them to update the hot list more and feature different cards. A great candidate for a recent slot would be any of the Carnation cards and especially The Road Warriors.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Good idea but the Yamakatsu should be included. The Andre the giant from that set is right there with the 82 hogan IMO. A psa 10 might never surface. As more become available I think more people will be interested
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

The one reason I stopped subscribing to Beckett is because all the good articles they used to write got drowned out by the pricing because of all the sets, sub-sets, sub-sub sets, parallel cards, on and on and on.....They had to fit more pricing in and less article content. I understand it's a price guide so I see why you'd have to go that direction. I could find all the pricing on-line, but the articles is what did it for me.

So why couldn't we publish our own magazine? Nothing fancy and if no one has pride of individual ownership it might be fundamentally successful. Something self-published quarterly and non-profit. Get commitment from 5-10 guys/gals, and everyone takes their specialty and submits a unique article...some interesting research angle, news, background or just overview. Someone compiles and converts to a PDF to upload. Everyone could print on their own or you run some sort of subscription process. Not sure it's a sustainable interest market, but since wrestling cards are picking up steam this would be the time to do it.

Sample table of contents:

Front Matter (Editor Notes/Table of Contents, etc)
Recent Auction Sales
Vintage - 1800s-1950s
Classic - 1960s-1970s
1980s
1990s
Modern
Foreign
Hot cards
Newly discovered sets
Pricing??

Anyway, something to think about.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Interesting idea. There have been similar newsletters for other types of cards. The Wrapper (non-sports) and some for baseball cards (I have a few from the 1970's), come to mind.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think The Wrapper is a great example and they have been around a while. I think what has made them successful is the articles are written by collectors for collectors and published by a collector.

Last edited by SumoMenkoMan; 11-27-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've only seen a few issues, but I think the Wrapper is great because you read about the sets you would never hear about any place else.

Not just the new releases by the major companies.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Beckett articles

I'd love to see Beckett run an article on the Topps WCW/NwO autographs. One of the editors, Chris Olds, does a chat on Beckett's Facebook on Wednesdays. I believe he is/was a wrestling fan and maybe if enough people ask about wrestling that might convinnce the Beckett people that there is enough collectors interested (and will buy the issue) to give more coverage and/or devote a month to the topic of wrestling in the magazine.

Since I'm pretty sure that Beckett doesn't have the wrestling card experts as good as the collectors here so it would probably be best to submit articles that the editors can go over.

I suppose that would be like The Wrapper idea though.
80s Showtime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Beckett Feb 2013 - The Others Issue

I believe since early 2011, Beckett Sportscard Monthly has had a focus topic for the month. During the year, there's usually an issue devoted to: Rookies, Supercollectors, a Show issue around the time of The National, Auctions and then a random assortment of topics. The Feb 2013 issue was dubbed "The Others Issue" and focused on other topics than the usual baseball, basketball, football, and hockey for the articles and polls. Here's are some of wrestling based. Sorry for the big pictures

Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for posting those to the thread.

These are some of the small stories I was referring to.

Something is better then nothing but a larger story is what I would like to see.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

Ive asked them many times for a wrestling beckett, even a one shot and they always tell me not enough interest. Maybe if we all ask them they will see there is interest?
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think there could be enough interest for a magazine (annual maybe) that combined all martial arts/combat sports: wrestling, boxing, MMA, sumo, etc.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default 2010 wrestling price guide

I think if we all email and ask questions about wrestling cards on Beckett's Facebook chat every Wednesday it could show that there is interest out there.

I remember seeing this wrestling price guide used to be on the Non-Sport Update website:

The Wrestling Card Price Guide - Topic

NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT!

The 2010 Premiere Edition of The Wrestling Card Price Guide (by Paul Anand) has just been issued. This comprehensive book includes:
Market Price & Book Value for every Wrestling Trading Card set released between 1954 & 2010
Individual prices for each insert, memorabilia, autograph and specialty card
Over 165 pages with many of the top cards from each set pictured
Comprehensive Intro. section with the history and all the ins and outs of the wrestling card hobby.
NSU is now carrying The Wrestling Card Price Guide in the NSU Store.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

The Wrestling Card Price Guide is online. I don't know if the prices have been updated from the print version.

The Wrestling Card Price Guide
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Topps WCW/NWO autos

Thanks, that's a neat site. From that site, I started jumping from link to link and I went to this one for the first time:

WrestlingTradingCards.com - Your online source for checklists & information!

Then I looked at their Facebook an found an article on the Topps WCW/NWO autographs:

PWTorch.com - COLLECTIBLES COLUMN: Why Late-'90s WCW cards are some of the Most Valuable Cards in the Hobby

I think it's articles like this that should be submitted to Beckett so they can their way into the printed Beckett magazine or some collector driven magazine like The Wrapper idea or even The Wrapper
Old 11-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

I agree, but Beckett probably wouldn't do anything like this regularly.