Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to harryhudini
Default Official Barclays Premier League Discussion Thread

So it begins. Finally I can talk about my obsession with someone other than my wife who cant stand it because she doesnt understand.

I will begin with how terribly my Mighty Red's season has gone. Improper spending in the summer transfer window and just odd game tactics has led to the teams demise in the BPL. I find it strange that they perform so well in the Champions League and it doesnt reflect in the BPL. Hopefully they will go on a run and earn one of the 4 spots via league or...hope that the big boys knock each other out of the CL and we have an easy draw.
harryhudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhudini View Post
So it begins. Finally I can talk about my obsession with someone other than my wife who cant stand it because she doesnt understand.

I will begin with how terribly my Mighty Red's season has gone. Improper spending in the summer transfer window and just odd game tactics has led to the teams demise in the BPL. I find it strange that they perform so well in the Champions League and it doesnt reflect in the BPL. Hopefully they will go on a run and earn one of the 4 spots via league or...hope that the big boys knock each other out of the CL and we have an easy draw.
Well, United's CL draw was quite soft, they did however do what was expected and advance with ease. Now is when the real challenge starts. They should again advance but given their recent form who knows. Mata is cup-tied so he can't play in the CL. Getting 4th is going to be tough. Liverpool have been pretty damn good. The top three is pretty much set unless someone falls off big time. United's problem is that the squad really overachieved last season so expectations were too high to begin with. Van Persie carried that team last season and his absence has been very apparent.
hoosiergooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

Lol I know exactly what you mean...

I think their biggest downfall was RVP out for the season. When he comes back I believe they will find themselves back on top

I collect Steve Nash and other high end RCs and AUTOS of various players/HOFers
http://s767.photobucket.com/user/jbarnett83/library/?sort=3&page=0
jbarnett83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can almost guarantee I'm the only longtime Hull CITY fan on this board, so I'll do my best to hold up my end. It's been a deceptively good year, since the Tigers have been hovering around the middle of the table for most of the season, but a couple bad weeks could have them in the relegation zone. Hopefully the new strikers will help with the scoring.
tiger221166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

As a massive Villa fan all my life I can say I felt this was the year we would win the league...

But really I'm glad how we played early on in the season, played some superb football but have been unlucky against the bigger teams with poor calls like against Chelsea and Liverpool. We went off the boil a bit since Benteke got injured and he has been a shadow of himself since his return but

Either way I'm pleased with our 10th place so far this season and hopefully we can try push on towards Southampton but I'd be delighted with this position at the end of the season
Portlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Spurs fan here, looks like the team is finally starting to gel with Sherwood at the helm. Opened up the style of play by letting Erikson and Lennon run free on the wings. With Adebayor regaining a top team spot and producing, I am hopeful they can claim the 4th spot. The only issue I see is on defense where they tend to fall asleep for a period of time and give up untimely goals. Oh, and we need to tie Lloris to the damn goalposts, he makes me a nervous wreck watching the games with how much he leaves the goal......
Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Man City is a weird team because one week they blow out a team 3/4-0 then next the struggle granted mid week play but at the beginning of the season Aguero was the stud now Negrado is lighting up the score board. I like Dzeko but be could be a starter else where
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christillman View Post
Spurs fan here, looks like the team is finally starting to gel with Sherwood at the helm. Opened up the style of play by letting Erikson and Lennon run free on the wings. With Adebayor regaining a top team spot and producing, I am hopeful they can claim the 4th spot. The only issue I see is on defense where they tend to fall asleep for a period of time and give up untimely goals. Oh, and we need to tie Lloris to the damn goalposts, he makes me a nervous wreck watching the games with how much he leaves the goal......
I picked Spurs as my team to half-heartedly support while Hull City was in the championship, so I haven't been following as much this season -- is Lamela just totally out of the picture at this point? What's the deal with that?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger221166 View Post
I picked Spurs as my team to half-heartedly support while Hull City was in the championship, so I haven't been following as much this season -- is Lamela just totally out of the picture at this point? What's the deal with that?
He is not getting really any run with the first team right now and is looking to try and leave this transfer window. Being an Italian and growing up watching a ton of Serie A (AC Milan fan here), watching him with Roma and now seeing him struggle with Spurs is frustrating. He has a ton of talent, just hasn't been able to show any in the times he has been selected for the first team. With the way Erikson and Lennon have played the past 2 months, he will not get really any play in the Premier League and wants to try and make the Argentina team for the World Cup so he is asking for a transfer out. It has really been a tough go for all the players brought in when Bale left. They spent the money on Soldado, who can't seem to score in the run of play (only from the spot). Paulinho has been solid, but picked up a knock a month ago and has been out since. Capoue hasn't impressed me and Chadli has been good, but the best of the bunch has clearly been Eriksen. I feel like the first half of the season was spent figuring out how all the new pieces would gel and fit in together and we are now finally seeing what they can do once they start to figure it out and play as a team. Sherwood totally transformed the team from more of a holding midfield to a more wide open play to the sidelines and go with pace type of team. It seems to be working as they are now finally scoring goals instead of relying on the defense to pitch shutouts every game. I truly think the team is one great defender away from being a contender next year in the BPL if they can keep the remaining players around. With the acquisition of a Thiego Silva type defender (not saying they are getting him) it would help sure up a defense that struggles at times. Sorry for the long post, haha
Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christillman View Post
He is not getting really any run with the first team right now and is looking to try and leave this transfer window. Being an Italian and growing up watching a ton of Serie A (AC Milan fan here), watching him with Roma and now seeing him struggle with Spurs is frustrating. He has a ton of talent, just hasn't been able to show any in the times he has been selected for the first team. With the way Erikson and Lennon have played the past 2 months, he will not get really any play in the Premier League and wants to try and make the Argentina team for the World Cup so he is asking for a transfer out. It has really been a tough go for all the players brought in when Bale left. They spent the money on Soldado, who can't seem to score in the run of play (only from the spot). Paulinho has been solid, but picked up a knock a month ago and has been out since. Capoue hasn't impressed me and Chadli has been good, but the best of the bunch has clearly been Eriksen. I feel like the first half of the season was spent figuring out how all the new pieces would gel and fit in together and we are now finally seeing what they can do once they start to figure it out and play as a team. Sherwood totally transformed the team from more of a holding midfield to a more wide open play to the sidelines and go with pace type of team. It seems to be working as they are now finally scoring goals instead of relying on the defense to pitch shutouts every game. I truly think the team is one great defender away from being a contender next year in the BPL if they can keep the remaining players around. With the acquisition of a Thiego Silva type defender (not saying they are getting him) it would help sure up a defense that struggles at times. Sorry for the long post, haha
Interesting stuff, thanks. And I'm guessing with Townsend coming back, Lamela's really not going to get much time.

I saw a couple of the Spurs games recently, they really do look like a different team now. I've never been a big fan of Dembele or Holtby, I kind of wish (if Sherwood is truly going for the more wide open approach) they'd sell those two and play something like a 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1, with Paulinho and Sandro at DM and rotating Eriksen/Townsend/Lamela/Lennon/Chadli at AM or wing. This Bentaleb kid also looks like he can play a little.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Arsenal is doing work so I'm happy. So many players have stepped up and the Ozil signing is what put them over! Glad that their is some success coming to the Gunner faithful.
AwesomeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeJuice View Post
Arsenal is doing work so I'm happy. So many players have stepped up and the Ozil signing is what put them over! Glad that their is some success coming to the Gunner faithful.
A striker signing would be nice before the January transfer window is over, even if it is just a loan to cover til the rest of the season. I'm very worried that Giroud will go down and we won't be able to cope with it. As a life long Arsenal fan I've seen it too many times..... the Eduardo, Ramsey and countless RVP injuries are some of them.
Pb: http://s1269.photobucket.com/profile/SportsCardsCenter/index
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

At least we signed Mata. When Moyes asked why he didn't sign Ozil, he said we didn't need him. I wish we had signed Ozil, hopefully we will have a chance at Reus. If we don't get Champions League football next season, I am sure a lot of fans will be calling for Moyes' firing.
Trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

WTF did we sign Fellini? Is Moyes trying to bring the whole Everton team in Old Trafford? Him and his new back room staff are ….
Trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to harryhudini

Juan Mata has already made an impact in the match today. Very fluid and once Rooney is 100%...look out
harryhudini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Juan Mata has already made an impact in the match today. Very fluid and once Rooney is 100%...look out
not much a suprise. It's not like he's coming from a different league where he has to adapt to the English game. Manu style very similar to Chelsea. and about all others...It's Cardiff City
Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Blues fan here (see avatar) I'd like to say that selling Mata might not be all bad. 61 million dollars for a rotational player who never fit in with Mourinho. He was on his way out the door for a while. Besides us Blues are making our run to the top with the likes of Oscar and an in form Eto'o. I still think we need one striker who can score goals (Falcao, Cavani, etc.). KTBFFH
Braman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hollow! Hollow! Hollow! Chelsea's success is f***ing hollow, All the money they took, from that big Russian crook, and you'll never win 3 in a row!
diegorvca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Considering the big match of the day, what a showing by Liverpool in the Merseyside Derby? If you guys haven't seen Sturridge's 2nd goal, it was some very nice skill.
warriorsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsmi View Post
Considering the big match of the day, what a showing by Liverpool in the Merseyside Derby? If you guys haven't seen Sturridge's 2nd goal, it was some very nice skill.
Great performance by Liverpool. Sturridge was killing it should've had the hat trick.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

Any United fans feeling a little salty today? Stoke 2-1 United
Braman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

charlie ADAM
AwesomeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

I don't think my Reds will get it together anytime soon....
Old 02-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Only rumors but I find it absolutely hilarious papers saying that RVP wants out of ManU and return to Arsenal. only a rumor but still funny and you can keep that traitor
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones View Post
Only rumors but I find it absolutely hilarious papers saying that RVP wants out of ManU and return to Arsenal. only a rumor but still funny and you can keep that traitor
He is dead to me. I hate him more than any athlete in the world.
hoosiergooner is offline   Reply With Quote