Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlaw View Post
Arsenal doing some nice business this summer.

Ferdinand going to QPR for a year for a wage I'm assuming. I can see him going to the States next year just for the nice pay day to retire on
We still need a GK to compete with Szczesny now that Fabianski is gone, a central defender depending if Vermaelen ends up leaving, and a defensive midfielder, Flamini isn't gunna be around for much longer, Arteta is not a true defensive midfielder and Diaby is the definition of injury prine. I about 50/50 on needing another striker. Sanchez is a winger by trade but has covered up front when needed, we needed striker depth last season, and now we released Bendtner and Chu-Young. Campbell has been on loan for a few seasons and looks quiet promising, hope we don't let him leave. Sanogo needs much, much, much improvement before he competes with anyone. I am still questioning us signing him, every time he gets on the ball he freezes, doesn't have a good strike, and lacks physicality. Getting Remy would be perfect, won't break the bank and good competition for Giroud and Campbell

MLS is becoming much more of a popular destination for aging Europe stars, will be hitting up some Orlando City games to see Kaka play this year
Looking for: 2014 Tier One Baseball Mark Teixeira Bat Knob 1/1 [Finders Fee]

Last edited by Tones; 07-17-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Tones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #102 (permalink)

Arsenal has made some nice moves but I still question there ability to actually win a title.

Also, what is Liverpool doing? They are buying a bunch of squad players and not anyone who will put them over the top of the likes of City and Chelsea.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones View Post
We still need a GK to compete with Szczesny now that Fabianski is gone, a central defender depending if Vermaelen ends up leaving, and a defensive midfielder, Flamini isn't gunna be around for much longer, Arteta is not a true defensive midfielder and Diaby is the definition of injury prine. I about 50/50 on needing another striker. Sanchez is a winger by trade but has covered up front when needed, we needed striker depth last season, and now we released Bendtner and Chu-Young. Campbell has been on loan for a few seasons and looks quiet promising, hope we don't let him leave. Sanogo needs much, much, much improvement before he competes with anyone. I am still questioning us signing him, every time he gets on the ball he freezes, doesn't have a good strike, and lacks physicality. Getting Remy would be perfect, won't break the bank and good competition for Giroud and Campbell

MLS is becoming much more of a popular destination for aging Europe stars, will be hitting up some Orlando City games to see Kaka play this year
Plus the best move arsenal has made was the one they didn't make by not signing khedira -- would have been an incredibly redundant signing, they can deploy those funds much better in some of the ways you mention
tiger221166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
Arsenal has made some nice moves but I still question there ability to actually win a title.

Also, what is Liverpool doing? They are buying a bunch of squad players and not anyone who will put them over the top of the likes of City and Chelsea.
I'm not sure who exactly you think might put them "over the top", but those types of players are few and far between. Suarez was arguably the third best scorer in the world, and replacing someone like that is nearly impossible. I can't think of a single player in the world who can play as an out-and-out striker with the ability to drop back and distribute that is also for sale, and any top-class player will, at this point, be INCREDIBLY overpriced - and Chelsea and Man City seem to be the only teams for whom price tags don't matter.

The Reds have to look to strengthen their squad for CL and every other domestic competition, as their team was extremely limited last year. City and Chelsea are always a star's (or coach's) hissy-fit away from destroying their team as well, and Liverpool have just rid themselves of their largest off the field issue. Their business so far hasn't been about panicking and picking up the second prettiest girl at the bar in case they don't have anyone to go home with, but about improving depth and relying on their pre-existing talent to carry them forward. They were fine without Suarez at the beginning of last year and will hopefully be fine without him again this year.

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTaco77 View Post
I'm not sure who exactly you think might put them "over the top", but those types of players are few and far between. Suarez was arguably the third best scorer in the world, and replacing someone like that is nearly impossible. I can't think of a single player in the world who can play as an out-and-out striker with the ability to drop back and distribute that is also for sale, and any top-class player will, at this point, be INCREDIBLY overpriced - and Chelsea and Man City seem to be the only teams for whom price tags don't matter.

The Reds have to look to strengthen their squad for CL and every other domestic competition, as their team was extremely limited last year. City and Chelsea are always a star's (or coach's) hissy-fit away from destroying their team as well, and Liverpool have just rid themselves of their largest off the field issue. Their business so far hasn't been about panicking and picking up the second prettiest girl at the bar in case they don't have anyone to go home with, but about improving depth and relying on their pre-existing talent to carry them forward. They were fine without Suarez at the beginning of last year and will hopefully be fine without him again this year.
I was talking about the likes of Cavani and Balotelli both who have rumored to be available for the correct price. And I don't believe they aren't trying to get these players but I just think that nobody wants to play for Liverpool, when instead they can go to the likes of City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal (as well as other European teams of course), I think this is evident in the situation of Sanchez.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
I was talking about the likes of Cavani and Balotelli both who have rumored to be available for the correct price. And I don't believe they aren't trying to get these players but I just think that nobody wants to play for Liverpool, when instead they can go to the likes of City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal (as well as other European teams of course), I think this is evident in the situation of Sanchez.
Cavani yes, Balotelli no, he is far from an 'over the top player' he's a great player yes, but there are a vast amount of players I would put ahead of him skill wise, his personal liabilities drops him even lower
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Cavani is not the player he was at Napoli, Balotelli is a headcase of Suarez-like proportions, and while I agree with you on the fact that the name-brand recognition isn't quite there anymore, there still aren't any players who are actually available who fit the bill. Sanchez is the only one I agree with, but Cavani and Balotelli are definitely not worth the money. You don't replace a name with a name, you replace them with players.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #108 (permalink)

Latest headlining rumors/news
Arsenal have interest in Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina, who is valued at £3 million by his current club Nice
Fabio Borini is fully focused on Liverpool's forthcoming friendly against Roma at Fenway Park, and not on the £14million lodged by Sunderland
Juventus director Pavel Nedved says the Serie A club have no plans to sell either Paul Pogba or Arturo Vidal this summer
Rumors are flowing that Monaco's James Rodriguez will complete his move to Real Madrid on Wednesday or Thursday, after he was spotted in Madrid airport
Reports stating that Dejan Lovren will sign for Liverpool from Southampton, the third Saints player to leave for Ainfield this summer, fee is believed to be around £15 million
Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku has been linked with a permanent move to Everton, while Wolfsburg are reportedly preparing a £20million offer for the Belgium international
Arsenal have had a £24 million bid for Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho rejected
Juventus will finally announce the signing of Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra on a two-year contract tomorrow
Former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is set to sign for Major League Soccer side New York City FC
Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #109 (permalink)

Atletico Madrid have confirmed that Tiago Mendes has extended his contract for 2 more seasons
Torino have confirmed the signing of Uruguayan centre-back Gaston Silva from Defensor Sporting
Borussia Dortmund's Mats Hummels is set to choose to join Manchester United over Barcelona
Arsenal winger Wellington Silva joined Almeria in Spain on a season-long loan
QPR striker Loic Remy has flown to Boston, USA to complete a medical ahead of his move to Liverpool
Patrice Evra has completed his move from Manchester United to Juventus on a 2-year contract
Manchester United are set to bid for Fiorentina's Juan Cuadrado
Ben Davies has passed his medical with Tottenham
Inter Milan are planning to open talks with Sevilla over Colombian striker Carlos Bacca
AC Milan could be set to make an approach to Paris Saint-Germain for Ezequiel Lavezzi
Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger221166 View Post
Plus the best move arsenal has made was the one they didn't make by not signing khedira -- would have been an incredibly redundant signing, they can deploy those funds much better in some of the ways you mention
Totally disagree. Firstly, I think they're still pursuing him. Secondly, which world-class defensive midfielder will miss out as a result of signing Khedira, should they manage to get him? Sanchez was much more of a 'redundant signing' than Khedira would be.
VeedonFleece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
Totally disagree. Firstly, I think they're still pursuing him. Secondly, which world-class defensive midfielder will miss out as a result of signing Khedira, should they manage to get him? Sanchez was much more of a 'redundant signing' than Khedira would be.
if Khedira's wage demands are true, that is beyond too much. Javi Martinez would be a bit more of a price tag from Bayern, but his wage demands would be much less
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #112 (permalink)

JRod to Madrid! Welcome to the capital, James! Hala Madrid
Trouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #113 (permalink)

Ospina to "challenge/push/provide motivation" for Szczesny. I like it as there's at the very least a debate to be made that he's better than Szczesny, but it's still gotta be Wojchiech's job to lose.

www.freewebs.com/ticowboys
TIcowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #114 (permalink)

James Rodriguez's welcoming ceremony at Real Madrid

Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #115 (permalink)

James Rodriguez is another player hugely overvalued because of a good world cup
Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
James Rodriguez is another player hugely overvalued because of a good world cup
agreed.
I went ahead and added a top 10 transfer list list to the original post for tracking purposes. At the end of the summer, I will be starting a thread for the top 10 transfers of 2014 summer, track there season and see who lived up to their price tag, who is under valued and who is over valued

please note,only once the official transfer fee is announced will it be added to the list, not the rumored fee (i.e. currently James Rodriguez)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #117 (permalink)

Looks like Xavi may be going to NYCFC, if they have David Villa, Frank Lampard, and Xavi that will be a very fun team to watch

Edit: Looks like he is staying with Barca now, that sucks

Last edited by ce99dj88; 07-22-2014 at 03:55 PM.
ce99dj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #118 (permalink)

Quote:
well, in my book, Khedira is not in any way shape or form a defensive midfielder -- there's this:

StatsBomb | Is Sami Khedira Arsenal’s Answer at Defensive Mid?

plus anecdotally the fact he didn't win a single tackle at the World Cup (!). good box-to-box player, great creator, but not a guy I'd want playing a holding role. (Though who knows, maybe he could be coached up, Arteta wasn't a holding player when he got there, and he became passable defensively). he'd be redundant to Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Santi..

aside from that, Khedira's alleged wage demand was crazy
Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #119 (permalink)

I'd love to see Liverpool spend some "Suarez Funds" for the back field. Sweet Maria did they play some awful D last year.

I like what they've done in the off season: Lallana, Can, Lambert and Markovic

These signings are more team oriented instead of looking for one game-changing player. After all, we may have 2 in Sturridge and Sterling. Plus, they need depth due to playing in the Champions League next season.

UPDATE: Looks like Liverpool may get Loic Remy from QPR (honestly, I know nothing about him except for what I've read).

Last edited by 21Pittsburgh58; 07-23-2014 at 03:48 PM.
21Pittsburgh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Pittsburgh58 View Post
I'd love to see Liverpool spend some "Suarez Funds" for the back field. Sweet Maria did they play some awful D last year.

I like what they've done in the off season: Lallana, Can, Lambert and Markovic

These signings are more team oriented instead of looking for one game-changing player. After all, we may have 2 in Sturridge and Sterling. Plus, they need depth due to playing in the Champions League next season.

UPDATE: Looks like Liverpool may get Loic Remy from QPR (honestly, I know nothing about him except for what I've read).
I think that Manquillo, Moreno, and Lovren are the three that are the objects of BR's affection right now. Manquillo and Lovren seeeeeeeeem to be close to being final (with Manquillo a loan-to-buy option), and I can only imagine that Liverpool will end up overpaying for Moreno if they truly want to bring him in. Glen Johnson's as good as done, and the center-back combo needs a more reliable combo. Hopefully this happens, but I hate the English media so they're all likely dead leads.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger221166 View Post
well, in my book, Khedira is not in any way shape or form a defensive midfielder -- there's this:

StatsBomb | Is Sami Khedira Arsenalís Answer at Defensive Mid?
Unfamiliar with that site, but those are interesting graphs. Maybe someone should send them to Wenger before he submits to Sami's wage demands!
VeedonFleece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Unfamiliar with that site, but those are interesting graphs. Maybe someone should send them to Wenger before he submits to Sami's wage demands!
it's not a huge volume site in terms of posts, but their stuff is almost always interesting/informative (and well-researched), I commend it to all!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #123 (permalink)

DIDIER DROGBA SIGNS WITH CHELSEA ON ONE YEAR DEAL! Awesome! Go blues!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #124 (permalink)

Sorry for the dry spell of posts, been busy recently with personal issues going on

AC Milan has admitted that the club has received "several" offers for Brazilian forward Robinho
West Ham are poised to sign Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson on loan
Celtic have signed forward Jo Inge Berget from Cardiff City on loan until January
Lazio have confirmed Holland and Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij has arrived in Rome to undergo a medical ahead of his move
Lorient have signed Marseille forward Jordan Ayew on a four-year deal
Arsenal have signed defender Calum Chambers from Southampton for around £16million
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that they have pulled out to sign Loic Remy from QPR
Liverpool have announced the signing of defender Dejan Lovren from Southampton
Stephan El Shaarawy’s agent has insisted that the striker is not set for an AC Milan exit, despite reported interest from Real Madrid
Arsenal have confirmed the signing of Colombian World Cup goalkeeper David Ospina for €3million

Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #125 (permalink)

BREAKING NEWS!
Antoine Griezmann has completed his move from Real Sociedad to Atletico Madrid on a six-year contract