Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unbelieveable rare Tiger find turns into utter hearbreak

So my mom is doing some cleaning of my old room so a guest they're having into town can stay in there and she came across all my old SI for Kid's and asked if I still wanted them as some still had the cards in them.

I then found out that the original Tiger card is the only one that's worth money, so I figured it was worth a look to see what the chances are of me having that one.

So I go over and look through a bunch of the magazines, find some cards but most are missing the pages, and found the one that should have had the Tiger in it, but no cards. So I got into the basement where my old 90's sets are and find a stack of 25 full pages and figure the odds are still pretty slim, but I start to look at the back of each one to see if I might have that month's sheet in there.

To my shock I come across that months and get real excited, gave a Tiger fist pump, took a deep breath and turned it over to find..............................

THE ONLY CARD THAT IS DAMAGED, seriously, out of 225 cards there are like 2 or 3 that have some creases or bends in them, but over 200 of them are in perfect condition.

There is ONE CARD from that whole series of cards that's worth anything, and I just so happen to find a couple hundred SI for Kid's cards and it's the ONLY ONE that has any real damage.

I probably could have got a nice payday for that thing if I brought it to the National next week, seeing as a full magazine with it recently sold for $800 and singles in good condition sell for $200. I figure with it in the full sheet, had it not had the hole, I could have got $300, maybe even $400 since it would be in person and no worries about shady ebay stuff.

I want to cry right now

The rest of them

zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bummer.

You might still be able to get $100 for it. I have seen some very low grade raw copies bring that before. Stuff with paper loss.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tough break!
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did you notice that your Tiger Woods sheet has reverse ghost printing?

It is in reserve, so just didn't happen from sheets being stacked (had to come from plate imprinting).

I think that might be a rarity. I think some collectors might pay a premium on those. (too bad about the hole on the Tiger card)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Did you notice that your Tiger Woods sheet has reverse ghost printing?

It is in reserve, so just didn't happen from sheets being stacked (had to come from plate imprinting).

I think that might be a rarity. I think some collectors might pay a premium on those. (too bad about the hole on the Tiger card)
No, you're just seeing thru to the backside of the card as I was holding the sheet up to a window so the hole was visible

You can see here in this picture that there wasn't a double printing since there is no light source behind it. I also realized that the card didn't have a hole punched through and rip off that part of the card, the portion where the hole is at was bent against the back, this picture is with that part pushed back in kinda

Last edited by zonacats8; 07-22-2014 at 11:58 PM.
zonacats8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Damn man. I guess the good part about it is that you still found a $50 or $100 dollar bill.